How do you think Berserk will end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerrorA

I am the Knight
If you were to guess Berserk's ending, what would you guess?

I'd say the Big G :guts: and his crew of warriors :puck: :schierke: :isidro: :iva: : :serpico: :farnese: :SK: (along with a newly re badassed Casca :casca:) lead an army of good spiris from Elfheim and EVERYONE GUTS HAS EVER HELPED take the fight to Falconia.

As the humans and Spirits kill their way to Griffith's throne room, the Godhand feel fear for the first time EVER. The Band of the Wolf (my nickname for Guts and co) take on the Neo Hawks. Guts fights Zodd, Azan fights Grunbeld, Irvine goes up against Isidro and Schierke. Locus fights Serpico. While fighting Zodd, Guts nearly gives in to The Beast, but finds a balance in it, the middle ground between righteous fury and blind rage. Now, he can fight at full strength without....well going nuts. After handily defeating their foes, Skull Knight and Guts' Band take on the Godhand.

Guts fights Griffith, Farnese and Casca fight Slan, The kids team up to fight Ubik, Skull Knight goes Immediately after Void, leaving Conrad for Sepico and Azan.

The Battle begins, and The IOE starts to interfere to make sure his Godhand win. But suddenly, his powers are blocked by something. A new force appears before the IOE, A being of brilliant light and darkest shadow. It explains itself. "If there is an Idea of Evil, would there not be an Idea of Good as well, a spirit of hope that no matter what, if we can live for the next day, things can improve?" He then forces the IOE to sit the match out, to see if "Man or monster is stronger."

The heroes kill the Godhand, but Guts stays his final attack, instead allowing Casca to kill Griffith. As the battle ends, humans have won. The IOG smiles, then turns to the IOE. "And now we know. Hope beats despair." The IOE snarls that "Evil will never die" only for the Idea of Good to reply "But it will fall. Time and time again." With that, the soulsof the heroic dead ascend to the IOG's "rest"

Timeskip to 9 years later. A village is celebrating their heroes saving them from an attack by monsters. The two who saved them? A man, dual wielding a Cutlass and Lava dagger, with orange hair and a woman, a sorceress with bright green hair. The two walk away, wonfering what the others are doing.

Cut to Roderick and Farnese arguing with some nobles about how to spread the power of the new "Council of Midland". One makes a threatening move, and Serpico takes his hand.....at the wrist.

Cut to Puck and Everella flying with other fairies.

Final cut, to someone we DON'T know. A young boy, training with a sword all alone. Long dark hair, pointed ears, wearing black and brown clothing. Small monsters swarm him as the sun sets, and he gives them a VERY familiar smile. He mows them down, only for a huge Ogre to block his path. The boy doesn't even look afraid. The Ogre roars.....and gets bisected and his head cut off. Standing there in the dying light, capes floating in the breeze, The boys parents. Guts and Casca. The boy smiles, then runs in to hug them.

The Final page is blank, except for the closing narration: In this world, man is destined to struggle. He will be beaten, tried, and broken. But, those who struggle and fight, those who never give up, will find happiness in a world gone Berserk.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I can't tell you how it will end, but I sure as hell can tell you it won't end like what you just wrote.

Your ending remembers me of the ending of many shonen manga , and this is not good.

I mean it is to hard to guess the ending for a series such as berserk, especially if there is one big critical point in the series ahead of us. Guessing the future story line after Elfhelm will be easier.

TerrorA

I am the Knight
Yeah, a while back (back when I had an Acer instead of a Dell) there was an interview where he said (paraphrasing from a two year old memory) Berserk "will have a happier ending then expected." But, then again, you're probably right too about my ending. This is MUIRA we're talking about. His version of a happy ending is probably strange and warped.

Mammon

Mangoku army
If I recall correctly, Miura said that the ending won't be "completely pessimistic".

For the ending, when I finally read "Shin Angyo Onshi" (a masterpiece of a manwha, or manga maybe because it was published in Japan first; you might have seen the animated movie covering the first couple of volumes, it's pretty popular and IMHO not as bad as Berserk's movie adaptation), I thought that Berserk might end almost like that.

I can't tell the ending because of obvious major spoilers, but if others here have read this one, maybe let's discuss it in another thread, I have much to say about it and why, in my mind, the ending might be similar to Berserk's.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Mammon said:
If I recall correctly, Miura said that the ending won't be "completely pessimistic".

Aazealh said:
He didn't say he wanted a happy ending, just that it wouldn't be pessimistic. That's rather vague and probably won't be as simple as "everybody is happy, nobody dies, past errors are erased".

:griffnotevil:

It's gonna end with the reveal that it was a dream the entire time like in Super Mario Bros.2 :schnoz:

In all seriousness, I don't really like thinking about how stories will end. I want to be surprised!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Mammon said:

Indeed, and it's not as if that's a revelation. Anyone who was thinking the ending would be otherwise clearly hasn't been paying attention.

Personally, I've always felt that Guts would survive. I feel like I've explained why numerous times here, so in summary: He deserves it. He's struggled his whole life, the most painful parts of which were the direct result of others' misdeeds. For his life to end while toiling in the wake of someone else's evil actions would seem cruel to me--more cruel than normal, let's say. He's never truly had a chance at happiness, and I think that potential could come with the ending of the series.

I'm wondering if the last page of the series (or close to it) will be a picture of the dragon slayer in some form, maybe either broken finally or it stuck in the ground in a cool pose.

Tama said:
I'm wondering if the last page of the series (or close to it) will be a picture of the dragon slayer in some form, maybe either broken finally or it stuck in the ground in a cool pose.

Over a grave? No thank you. :sad:
But that sounds like a cool idea actually. ^^

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Tama said:
Hmmm...

gameover.jpg

Jarome

The Destroyer Of Worlds
Tama said:
My first thought came trough Cloud's sword in the FF7:Advent Children movie lol but Delta's picture shows pretty much the same concept :D

As for the ending, there's no way anyone can speculate about it and end up being right. This is no common manga, it's not gonna be a cheesy/easy conclusion and there's literally way too much stuff to be revealed yet...

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Jarome said:
My first thought came trough Cloud's sword in the FF7:Advent Children movie lol but Delta's picture shows pretty much the same concept :D

I think there's actually several pictures across the franchise of various weapons sticking out of the ground. Almost like a franchise staple.

Jarome said:
As for the ending, there's no way anyone can speculate about it and end up being right. This is no common manga, it's not gonna be a cheesy/easy conclusion and there's literally way too much stuff to be revealed yet...

True. I think the one thing I'm confident in is that Miura will deliver a great ending. He has consistently shown that he knows what he's doing and each arc has impressed me more than the last. I just can't wait to be able to enjoy it in its entirety. Though this journey (reading episodically), for me personally, over the last 10 years has really been something.

I have several loose ideas about possible endings, but more specifficaly I imagine how Berserk would NOT end:
- Guts killing Femto with Dragon Slayer. However. I know many readers dream about it, but it would be the most shitty ending I can imagine... oh wait, no:
- Casca killing Femto with her own sword - that would be even worse. I understand your lust of rape-revange motive, but sorry, that would be completely uncannonic for Casca. Casca simply wouldn't kill that mighty demon - especially mighty demon she loves.
- Elfhelm vs. Falconia. For what...? If Griffith wanted that, he'd already achieved it. Elfhelm is too far away for him to care about it - it would be like travel to former Kushan Empire to pursue and kill local mages. Think about it. It's ridiculous. Griffith's apostles have currently whole continent to feast upon.
- Guts and Casca got killed in some way, Griffith and his kingdom live happily ever after. Quite logic, but... whole manga after defeating Ganishka becomes senseless.

I'm gonna write down my ideas about IMO cool endings sometime later ;) Now I have to study for exams.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
slothqueen said:
Casca simply wouldn't kill that mighty demon - especially mighty demon she loves.
What are you talking about...?

- Elfhelm vs. Falconia. For what...? If Griffith wanted that, he'd already achieved it. Elfhelm is too far away for him to care about it - it would be like travel to former Kushan Empire to pursue and kill local mages. Think about it. It's ridiculous. Griffith's apostles have currently whole continent to feast upon.
We've thought about it (welcome to the forum where we've been discussing these notions for more than a decade), and it's not what I'd call ridiculous, just unlikely.

I'm gonna write down my ideas about IMO cool endings sometime later ;) Now I have to study for exams.
That probably would have been a better time to revive the thread.

About the only three speculations I have ever had about how Berserk would end are that:

1.) Rickert will somehow play a very important role in the resolution. Like, a major key participant.

2.) Guts may have a 'somewhat happy' ending (paraphrasing), but I feel that during the climactic sequences, most of Falconia's population will regard him as an unstoppable harbinger of doom for their paradise. Once he gets in there and starts wrecking things, they won't see him as some kind of savior at all. I feel like its just an ironic portrayal of humanity waiting to be expressed.

3.) I don't think the ending will hinge on a simple boss fight or 7, although I believe that there will be a few of those working up to the finale.

Just my .02.

Walter said:
What are you talking about...?
I meant that we have virtually no proves to think, that Casca stopped loving Griffith - ofc I talk about sane version of Casca, which would probably return to us soon (I hope). Note that Casca never truly stopped loving Griffith - not even when she fell in love with Guts, nor when she heard that he slept with princess. She even decided to stay with him just to take care of his crippled body, instead of starting new life with Guts. So yes, I think that if sane Casca meet Femto (being completely like Griffith), she would never get to harm him.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
slothqueen said:
I meant that we have virtually no proves to think, that Casca stopped loving Griffith

That's not true at all. Her feelings began changing back in volume 6. Re-read her sililoquy in Volume 9 for more information. But beyond that, she chose to stay with Griffith after they rescued him out of pity and devotion, not love. She wanted to go with Guts, but felt that Griffith had no one. All of this, coupled with the fact that he raped her as Femto, driving her to insanity for 3+ years, I don't see how you can possibly conclude that she still loves him.

TerrorA

I am the Knight
This Casca x Griffith tone disturbs me greatly.

Are we honestly suggesting she loves the man who cause all of her friends to be killed and raped her to insanity?

The impression I get from a lot of people who believe that Casca could still love Griffith is that they are Griffith fans that want to somehow justify his decisions as pragmatically sticking to some ruthless principle. And that because those qualities are what caused her to become so devoted to him, she still will see those traits in Femto.

Since this is a speculation thread:

I don't believe that her feelings for Griffith post-eclpse will be so cut and dry. I don't think it's a pure hate or pure love or anything like that. It's going to be a complicated set of emotions because I just don't see Casca emerging from her insanity, if she even does, and simply taking up a sword to go and kill Griffith. I just don't see the story playing out so plain as day.

If I had to guess I'd venture that post healing, Casca will have a set of chapters devoted to her dealing with what's happened and trying to right herself through internal reflection and by interacting with those around her. Or maybe it won't be direct interaction with them, but watching other people interact and finding ways, internally, to make sense of what's happened to her and to draw strength and perspective from that.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Redfield said:
The impression I get from a lot of people who believe that Casca could still love Griffith is that they are Griffith fans that want to somehow justify his decisions as pragmatically sticking to some ruthless principle. And that because those qualities are what caused her to become so devoted to him, she still will see those traits in Femto.

That's an extremely deluded notion. Casca wasn't devoted to Griffith because he was ruthlessly ambitious. She didn't even know quite how ruthless he was. Only Guts did.

I don't believe that her feelings for Griffith post-eclpse will be so cut and dry. I don't think it's a pure hate or pure love or anything like that. It's going to be a complicated set of emotions because I just don't see Casca emerging from her insanity, if she even does, and simply taking up a sword to go and kill Griffith. I just don't see the story playing out so plain as day. If I had to guess I'd venture that post healing, Casca will have a set of chapters devoted to her dealing with what's happened and trying to right herself through internal reflection and by interacting with those around her. Or maybe it won't be direct interaction with them, but watching other people interact and finding ways, internally, to make sense of what's happened to her and to draw strength and perspective from that.

I don't think anyone here has said that it would be plain, or that day 1 post-restoration Casca would go jaunting across the ocean, teeth bared. Guts' own emotions on the subject aren't plain either, but it's pretty clear what he'd like to do to Femto's skull.

And yeah, a few episodes or more of her reflecting on what's happened and finding her place in this new world, this new group, and this new version of her lover, are a given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom