Guts and children

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aren't most people..?

Anyway, he's a good guy at heart. Not sure why this is significant.

TerrorA

I am the Knight
No, I mean, he seems to be an aloof, uncaring jerk-ass, but then, BOOM! Something resembling nobility

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
TerrorA said:
No, I mean, he seems to be an aloof, uncaring jerk-ass, but then, BOOM! Something resembling nobility

I don't think either of those statements are accurate reflections of his character. Maybe you're talking specifically about the Black Swordsman period?

TerrorA

I am the Knight
Yeah. I should have been clearer.

Like his interaction with Jill during the lost children arc when he makes that "the darkness around me" speech. Or when he apologizes to the boy he used as a shield. Or trying to warn away Collette and HESITATING when she becomes possessed (until "she" cuts him) AND crying after making Theresia swear vengeance against him.

I think its a pretty solid theme through the series, the struggle that Guts has to reconnect to humanity, and to trust in others. He's making an effort to be more reliant and considerate to others.As in when he realises he needs the rest of the gang to protect Caska, and to lighten his load, help him fight and recover etc. I don't think this has a lot to do with children

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
TerrorA said:
No, I mean, he seems to be an aloof, uncaring jerk-ass, but then, BOOM!

I don't think that's an accurate description of his general behavior with adults. During his period as the Black Swordsman he tended to be harsh and sometimes cruel with people, but he was never completely uncaring. Vargas' death hurt him, and we know that his behavior with him was the result of a complex set of feelings and experiences (including the fact they weren't completely unlike each other). And it's not like he was always completely nice to younger people either. He had some harsh words both for Theresia and for Jill.

TerrorA said:
Yeah. I should have been clearer.

Like his interaction with Jill during the lost children arc when he makes that "the darkness around me" speech. Or when he apologizes to the boy he used as a shield. Or trying to warn away Collette and HESITATING when she becomes possessed (until "she" cuts him) AND crying after making Theresia swear vengeance against him.

I understand what you mean, there is definitely a growth that occurs with guts and people. After knowing his entire back story you cant blame him right? I think its easy to see why but at the same time when he is cruel to people in general you get the vibe he is being a dick. I always felt he was just as harsh to kids as he was adults but they kinda show a reflective period after when he interacts with children.

TerrorA said:
Anyone ever notice Guts seems a lot kinder and nicer to kids than he is to adults?

i understand what your saying, sometimes the same thoughts come to my mind as well, theres alot to the characters in berserk and that's what makes them very unique in their own ways, but like you said in your first post wondering how guts is like that, ive seen many animes read mangas where main characters just treat kids and adults the exact same way and have no sympathy towards any gender or age.

but guts is a real man :guts:

please excuse the punctuation lol :griffnotevil:

I think there may be some parallels between the way guts has behaved with children and ferries. Puck got a cold reception initially, but his interaction with chicchi seemed to shed light on why he behaved the way he did. I think it may be more the case that Guts fears getting any people involved because he does feel somewhat personally responsible and it's much easier to just avoid those types of situations altogether. His whole bad boy image (during the black swordsman period) then acts as a deterrent to social interaction, which would present more of a possibility in getting emotionally invested.

Also, if you consider that the behavior followed the events during the eclipse, it would make sense that the last thing Guts would want is to get attached to people and feel that weigh on him emotionally.

Just my two cents, not sure if it holds up to any scrutiny, lol.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Tenfarther said:
I think there may be some parallels between the way guts has behaved with children and ferries.

12pfMpB.png

I dunno, Guts's relationship with ferries seems pretty normal to me...

Top Bottom