Episode 336

ZODDOII

BERSERK
wow :isidro: :schnoz: Nice Episode, who will challenge the master of the arena ;D

Want to see the apostles against dragon or hydra , some high level monsters :magni: :ubik:

Thanks for the sneak peak, it looks amazing! I love the shot of the black dome, and the arena seems interesting, I wonder how they will play more into the future..

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Mortal Kombat in the arena. Final boss : Femto. Unlockable characters. Ok I shut up now.

I can,t wait to know more about the conversation with Erica, Lucas and Daiba!

Interestingly, from that brief snippet, we can only make out Apostles sitting in the stands. I wonder if this will be something exclusively to keep the demonic populace at bay? A place where the demons can satisfy their bloodlust without any innocent bystanders getting killed in the process?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Doc said:
Interestingly, from that brief snippet, we can only make out Apostles sitting in the stands. I wonder if this will be something exclusively to keep the demonic populace at bay? A place where the demons can satisfy their bloodlust without any innocent bystanders getting killed in the process?

If it's beyond the palace gates, it makes sense that it's devoid of humans. Remember, Rickert needed a special pass to get through to see Griffith, so it's logical that that region is where the apostles would roam.

We've been making guesses about gladatorial combat since seeing the first shots of Falconia (you could see one or two colosseum-looking structures on the wide shot). But if that's truly what's in the dome, that'd be a bit of a letdown for me, given all the mystery surrounding that giant thing. Then again, yet another thing we probably focused on too much before the reveal.

Can't wait to see the whole episode, it looks amazing. :ubik: The panels of Erica talking to Daiba and Luca are pretty cute and funny. I'm lovin' that double spread of the black dome, Miura is really making it look ominous. It can't simply be just an arena can it? Maybe the pages of the apostles battling it out is whats happening underneath the walkway and smoke that leads to the dome?

I'm with Walter, about the let down of a dome <--> arena. I don't know if people have seen the full episode or not, but I'm hoping that Ominous shot of the dome, comes at the end and is to inform the readers that, NO, the coliseum that we've just been introduced to in this episode is not the dome. The dome remains ominous and unknown.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
For the record, I don't think anyone's seen the full episode yet. At least no one that's posted here.

Jaze1618 said:
I'm hoping that Ominous shot of the dome, comes at the end and is to inform the readers that, NO, the coliseum that we've just been introduced to in this episode is not the dome. The dome remains ominous and unknown.

It's hard to know for sure, given the disjointed nature of the preview pages we have, but that could very well be the case. We'll know for sure in a day or two, so no reason to fret too much at this point.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
Well, probably the last page is the one with Griffith:

BS2vW7c.jpg

The arena could be inside of the dome without necessarily being the entire thing. Keep in mind the size, even a large arena could just be one feature of a whole Apostle city in there.

jackson_hurley said:
do you think we'll get the conversation with Griffith and Rickert in this episode?

I've been wondering that too. I'm all for seeing more of the day to day life of what's going on inside Falconia as it's fascinating, but I'm really hoping for a good long conversation between the two, not just a few passing words.

Aazealh said:
It's funny to see Erica talk about her father's inventions, and see Daiba and Luca doubt the usefulness of a sword that's bigger than its wielder. I imagine the unseen panels has them connect the dots and realize Guts is the one wielding said sword.

Thank you so much for the explanation!

I'm really glad we're getting to see some more interaction between those three so soon.

jackson_hurley said:
Mortal Kombat in the arena. Final boss : Femto. Unlockable characters. Ok I shut up now.

I can,t wait to know more about the conversation with Erica, Lucas and Daiba!
A Berserk themed fighter? Hell yeah! I'd pay to see that happen.
The unlockable character should be the Chimimoryo....Ok I'm done.
It looks like it's going to be a very interesting episode, we finally get a glimpse of the dome and the arena. And Griffith looks more mysterious than ever.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
While hunting down the episode, I came across a scan of the regular end-of-issue comment from Miura: http://www.zassi.net/detail.cgi?gouno=37314&tpl=img_001

He gives his regards to Gigantomakhia, which of course was recently published in volume form.

Above the comment is the typical editorialized (not written by Miura) preview guessing at what's to come. It's way too low resolution to translate, but it does mention Griffith and Rickert yet again so, perhaps it's safe to say their chat is yet to come. Which leads me to wonder what the other pages in this episode are of. Starts off with Griffith where we left him. Shoots over to Daiba, Luca and Erica's talk. Then the apostle arena and finally Griffith looking off into the distance? Maybe he's leading Rickert deeper into the palace?

Am I the only one wondering what purpose Rickert serves to Griffith? At this stage, what use does Rickert have in Griffith's master plan and what's his ulterior motive for giving him an audience? Granted, he's a skilled blacksmith, but Griffith is a demi-god with a horde of demons at his command and the combined armies of Midland & Kushan etc. Is Rickert really going to have much impact? And I sincerely doubt that Griffith's worried about Rickert spilling the beans about the Eclipse, if he even dared to. So what's the bastard up to?

And I can't shake the feeling that we'll see the ghosts of the fallen Falcons. 'Divine Right' seemed like a foreshadowing of this, if nothing else. I think that's going to be how Griffith finally wins Rickert over.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Doc said:
Am I the only one wondering what purpose Rickert serves to Griffith? At this stage, what use does Rickert have in Griffith's master plan and what's his ulterior motive for giving him an audience? Granted, he's a skilled blacksmith, but Griffith is a demi-god with a horde of demons at his command and the combined armies of Midland & Kushan etc. Is Rickert really going to have much impact? And I sincerely doubt that Griffith's worried about Rickert spilling the beans about the Eclipse, if he even dared to. So what's the bastard up to?

I don't think he has some grand evil scheme regarding Rickert. Though Griffith might not yet know the full extent of his abilities, he could certainly be put to work outfitting humans with machinery to defend against magical creatures (like, say, that mounted crossbow repeater he created). I see him filling a role as a kind of new age inventor moving forward.

And I can't shake the feeling that we'll see the ghosts of the fallen Falcons. 'Divine Right' seemed like a foreshadowing of this, if nothing else. I think that's going to be how Griffith finally wins Rickert over.

I think that would have the opposite effect, honestly. Also, those souls have long since joined the vortex and lost their individuality. Unless you think the whole thing is a show Griffith created?

Well he gets his special audience because he was a old member of the original hawks, as you already knew i'm sure. But I'm guessing besides that, Griffith is making a offer to Rickert to recieve a spot among the hawks as he promised. His plan might end there but Griffith could also use Rickert as tool against Guts. When Guts decides it's time to visit Falconia?
And as tool I mean Rickert trying to convince Guts to join Griffith or leave him alone. Then again if Guts finds out Rickert has 'chosen' the side of Griffith it might be a extra middle finger to Guts from Griffith.

Bet let's just see first if Rickert actually joins Griffith, he might just open up shop inside the city and not deal with the army. And like Walter said help the citizens defend themself if they ever go outside the crystal radius.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackalj said:
And as tool I mean Rickert trying to convince Guts to join Griffith or leave him alone.

Sounds like a solid plan. :ganishka:

Griffith has no need to scheme like this against Guts. Nor do I imagine is he even concerned about an intrusion by him.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Rickert's trade is objectively useful and he could be used against Guts somehow, but I think it's a lot simpler than that: they're old comrades. Griffith/Femto may not be human, but he's still Griffith, he still remembers who his old friends and enemies are, and he acts accordingly. I don't know if that approximates some form of genuine affinity, or if it's just how Griffbot is programmed to act human, but I don't think it's that strange or ominous by itself. It would be stranger if he ignored him.

Of course, now that I've said that, in the next episode, after Rickert declines to join up, he'll be tossed into the Apostle arena, "Sorry old friend, but you know too much!" :griffnotevil:

Hey, Walter. Thanks.

Walter said:
I don't think he has some grand evil scheme regarding Rickert. Though Griffith might not yet know the full extent of his abilities, he could certainly be put to work outfitting humans with machinery to defend against magical creatures (like, say, that mounted crossbow repeater he created). I see him filling a role as a kind of new age inventor moving forward.

Moving forward, I can definitely see that being Rickert's role in the new world. It's just the, imo, undue attention that Griffith has toward Rickert that intrigues me. Lest we forget that Griffith had his eye on Rickert even before the advent of Falconia. Although his chief reason for being there was obviously to meet Guts, he still offered Rickert a return to the Falcons.

Walter said:
I think that would have the opposite effect, honestly. Also, those souls have long since joined the vortex and lost their individuality. Unless you think the whole thing is a show Griffith created?

Yeah, I had considered that, viz. the Vortex, and I think the latter would certainly fit with the whole theme of illusion and deception that embodies Falconia & the Age of Darkness. I could picture a scenario where Rickert broaches the subject of the Eclipse, Griffith makes no apology for his actions and gives the usual spiel about following his (or rather 'their') dream. Rickert will obviously still be plagued by doubts after what Guts told him, until Griffith remarks "Don't take my word for it, ask them yourself", whereupon Judeau, Pippin & Corkus et al. come floating out of the ether with smiles on their faces, proclaiming they died with no regrets. Rickert breaks down into tears and becomes putty in Griffith's hands.

Or not. :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I think Griffith will be mostly amiable and candid with Rickert, but that what he will tell and maybe show him will be ominous enough to make him think to himself that "this is not the man I used to know", echoing Guts' words to him in volume 22.

Doc said:
Griffith is a demi-god with a horde of demons at his command and the combined armies of Midland & Kushan etc.

Just a side note, but Griffith doesn't really have the armies of the former Kushan empire at his command. He's got some troops that joined his army's ranks after they were defeated, but the overwhelming majority of the Kushan armies were simply annihilated.

Doc said:

That's not at all what the the "Divine right of Kings" is about.

Just found this:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/abacabu-abacabu/archives/40263796.html

Notice the insignia above the arena door. :femto:

Rupert Sinclair said:
Just found this:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/abacabu-abacabu/archives/40263796.html

Notice the insignia above the arena door. :femto:

Wow,
Rickert is scared as shit. Now he knows what Guts were talking about. I wonder what happens next.

Top Bottom