Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 52

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 52 (09/29/14): Bridge of Separation [Berserk Ep. 337] (1hr 1 min)

Forging ahead without Walter to lead the way, Aaz and Griff reconvene to discuss Slapfest 2014, better known as Berserk Episode 337: The Slappening. What chaos ensues? Listen to find out.

=========================================
Don't forget you can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, or by pasting this address into your favorite podcast app: http://skullknight.net/podcast/rss.xml
=========================================

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn't able to make it to this episode's recording, but Aaz and Griff did a fine job by themselves. I've barely even had a chance to look at the full episode, so I can't offer many insights they haven't already, but here's where I'd have chimed in if I had a mic handy at the time:

This is another time that Miura manages to surprise everyone. It's delightful.

One of the most interesting panels to me is Griffith's face upon seeing Rickert. It's almost like his old self. He looks excited to see his old comrade.

> On Griffith's armor

You guys course-corrected after the joke about the skin-suit being his only one. But like I've said in the past I think the fact that we haven't seen him wear anything but armor is indeed weird by this point, but is likely a manifestation of his attachment to that image: the warrior-king.

> on repercussions of the slap, how might he explain this?

Maybe just: An old comrade who was upset over his fallen friends. But I do think that in terms of storytelling, the party gathered there wasn't by coincidence. There will be some repercussions, even if they're just the first ripples that something isn't quite right in their utopia.

This scene was yet another opportunity for us to see Griffith to talk openly, and for us to learn a bit more about his inner workings, but afterward we've still yet to see him say as much as on the Hill of Swords.

I think this is Miura's way of portraying Griffith as otherworldly, inhuman, while also maintaining his enigma since becoming a member of the God Hand.

>Griff's expression at the end

I didn't read too much into it. Not necessarily a giveaway of "feelings." It could be written off as merely, "Well I'm sorry we don't see eye-to-eye."

But honestly I am of two minds about this:

1) There will be no impact on him, because he's Femto. Everyone who knew him before he became an evil rock star hates him. And if that rejection doesn't affect him, isn't that also somehow tragic? He's unreachable, untouchable, and no one can mean anything to him.

2) Like Griff said on the show, I'd like a panel of reflection, after he explains it to his friends, he'd pause, touch his cheek and have a moment to consider ...

> on coronation and its delay

I think we're still in the early days of Falconia, and it's not quite time yet. That being said, if Griff was wearing a crown during this scene and the slap made it fall to the ground... Would have been quite a bit more dramatic. All that being said, I wonder when it will happen and if we'll see it, given that it sure seems like we're gearing up for full-blown Elfhelm in the near future.

And finally a question that I'd have asked: Was this event part of causality? Or was this outside the story? I do think Griffith was surprised, but that doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't all according to a greater scheme. Though I admit that's a controversial notion.

As you guys said, Rickert is very special. He's also only alive because of the Skull Knight.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
> On Griffith's armor

You guys course-corrected after the joke about the skin-suit being his only one. But like I've said in the past I think the fact that we haven't seen him wear anything but armor is indeed weird by this point, but is likely a manifestation of his attachment to that image: the warrior-king.

Yeah, it's a bit silly that he's having tea time in it, though it is the soul ceremony after-party, so I guess he just didn't change out of the outfit... that was also inappropriate for that occasion. =) Oh well, he's still "active military" for lack of a better phrase, like the general having breakfast in uniform. Does he sleep in that thing? Maybe he just doesn't sleep. :femto:

Walter said:
This scene was yet another opportunity for us to see Griffith to talk openly, and for us to learn a bit more about his inner workings, but afterward we've still yet to see him say as much as on the Hill of Swords.

I think this is Miura's way of portraying Griffith as otherworldly, inhuman, while also maintaining his enigma since becoming a member of the God Hand.

I also think a major reason for that is he hasn't had an honest personal conversation since then. It's all been business to some degree, even his reunion with Charlotte and others from his past in Midland. This is the closest thing since that time and even Rickert knew enough to speak in code. So, I don't think his speech and behavior on the Hill of Swords is any less relevant to him going forward, just not relevant to what he's been doing and the company he keeps.

Walter said:
1) There will be no impact on him, because he's Femto. Everyone who knew him before he became an evil rock star hates him. And if that rejection doesn't affect him, isn't that also somehow tragic? He's unreachable, untouchable, and no one can mean anything to him.

2) Like Griff said on the show, I'd like a panel of reflection, after he explains it to his friends, he'd pause, touch his cheek and have a moment to consider ...

It's certainly hard to read, given the ideas we have of how he should feel and act given what he is, and then how he acts (and how much he's acting[/i]). Like you said, he certainly seemed interested in seeing Rickert, and he really doesn't need to bother with any of this. He's holding onto something here, if only intellectually. DEEP cover Femto? =)

Walter said:
And finally a question that I'd have asked: Was this event part of causality? Or was this outside the story? I do think Griffith was surprised, but that doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't all according to a greater scheme. Though I admit that's a controversial notion.

As you guys said, Rickert is very special. He's also only alive because of the Skull Knight.

Yeah, he wasn't branded but he was certainly going to die at the encampment if not for Skully's interference, so I wonder. I mean, we can drive ourselves nuts asking this about everything, or if it even matter? Skull Knight has existed outside the tale for perhaps 1000 years and it only seems to matter at a few "critical junctures." I don't think every little unscripted event is a concern, even if a ripple can become a tidal wave.

Top Bottom