Slan Teaser + I have color/character questions

Hi! Longtime lurker, but now new member here! I specialize in digital pin up portraits and am currently in the process of doing Slan and Luca. Perhaps one day I could do Isma, Charlotte, and Farnese...but unfortunately, that's not for awhile (blame the ever popular Naruto characters).

At any rate, I'm having troubles coloring. For Slan, I know that the anime (and the awful movies) depicted her as having green hair, fair-pale skin, and jet-black demon armor. Is this her official colorway? Specifically, has Miura ever colored her in this schematic or declared the colors as so?

Secondly, Luca has in my opinion, drastically changed face-wise in comparison to her earlier depictions. Whereas before she had 'motherly' straight brows that are horizontal across her face, she now has 'mischief' eyebrows that point inwards. Coupled with her new 'cat-like' eyes that have replaced her 'boxy-round' eyes....she looks like a totally different character. At least to me she does. To those who notice the change, which Luca do you prefer? Old or new?

Hot demon tits await! :slan: (Seriously, I made her boobs fantastic. Please be patient for the full picture though, I just do these in whatever spare time I can muster. I have to change Slan's face up completely, it's not evil enough!)

Thanks!
jiUESFs.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DraceYun said:
At any rate, I'm having troubles coloring. For Slan, I know that the anime (and the awful movies) depicted her as having green hair, fair-pale skin, and jet-black demon armor. Is this her official colorway? Specifically, has Miura ever colored her in this schematic or declared the colors as so?

Miura has never painted her, so there's no "official" colors for the character beyond what is conveyed in the manga.

DraceYun said:
Secondly, Luca has in my opinion, drastically changed face-wise in comparison to her earlier depictions. Whereas before she had 'motherly' straight brows that are horizontal across her face, she now has 'mischief' eyebrows that point inwards. Coupled with her new 'cat-like' eyes that have replaced her 'boxy-round' eyes....she looks like a totally different character. At least to me she does. To those who notice the change, which Luca do you prefer? Old or new?

Well Miura's style has evolved after 15 years, the contrary would have been surprising. However I find Luca's face pretty similar now to the way it was in the Conviction arc. I'm sure you'll manage to get her likeliness right.

Luca_Old-New.jpg

Excellent. Personally, the green hair mentally links me to Medusa, so I wanted to change it to give her a more celestial look as opposed to monster-like. Thanks for the confirmation.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
DraceYun said:
Hi! Longtime lurker, but now new member here!
Welcome Drace! And what a fine first post to kick things off with! :ubik:

DraceYun said:
I specialize in digital pin up portraits and am currently in the process of doing Slan and Luca. Perhaps one day I could do Isma, Charlotte, and Farnese...but unfortunately, that's not for awhile (blame the ever popular Naruto characters).
Yeah, better to pace yourself. Your Slan preview has got me very excited about what's to come!

DraceYun said:
I like the green hair personally, but like Aaz said, there are no "official" colors, so I say you should just do whatever you think looks good. I always wondered why the anime adaptations made Slan's skin so pale when she seems to have darker skin in the manga, though. :sad:

DraceYun said:
Hot demon tits await! :slan: (Seriously, I made her boobs fantastic. Please be patient for the full picture though, I just do these in whatever spare time I can muster. I have to change Slan's face up completely, it's not evil enough!)
You're such a tease! :slan:

Thanks for the welcome Grail!

This is more or less the design I'm going with for Luca. It's kind of a cross of her former and newer appearances. Straight brows w/ inwards direction, super straight nose, cat-like eyes that round in at the top, and flattened top lip for pouty/stern look.

NRgFZa8.jpg

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Those nip covers, man. :ganishka: Luca came out looking great! Her chin/jaw seems a little sharp to me personally, but I'm not totally familiar with your style. I really like the shading you did for her eyes and her nose, very delicate details in there. :ubik: Looking forward to more!

Thank you guys for the feedback. Means a lot, I appreciate it! Also, to admins: I am very uneducated when it comes to bandwidth / image hosting. If my pictures use up too much, remove as you please.

Currently, here is where I'm at with Slan:
Iu6aFdT.jpg

I'm thoroughly researching new techniques and better anatomy to strengthen my images. The progress chart above depicts Slan as she is redrawn and recolored under a new "tier" of abilities.
Tier 1 is really crappy. I didn't know how to digitally color at the time. Its a foreign world for an ex-acrylic artist. At Tier 2, I learned more about shadows and light to increase the overall dynamics of the picture, but the actual character colors are bland. At Tier 3, I managed to meld shadow and lights with better coloring. Unfortunately, the raw line work is weak and this weakness became pronounced especially in the face. At Tier 4, I VICIOUSLY learned better facial anatomy. It turns out I just forgot the cheekbones. With that in place, the face fell in line and just worked. Also, my coloring and effects game leveled up.

With that said though, I've since jumped an additional tier. Which means I will have to redraw and recolor Slan once more. But I'm a little burnt out on her and have moved onto other characters. It's unlikely for me to update her for a long time ahahahaha. As for Luca, she's got a long way to go. Hope you guys like it! (Miura stated that we would see more of the Godhand soon. I'm very curious to see what they would look like in his evolved style. I think Femto changed a lot....so Slan probably will too. Which means I'll hold out on the 5th revision til then!)

Pretty interesting art style, thanks for sharing.

I like Tiers 1 and 2 facially versus Tier's 3 or 4 because of the shading the latter has under the eyes or for the cheek in general. Comes off too hollow or inhuman in Tier 4.

Are you going to keep the hair looking normal or change it to the way it's in the manga?

Her hair started out as a placeholder until I could get the correct texture for it, but I ended up liking it a lot. It still behaves in a supernatural way, just not so vine/snake-like. I'll look to readjust it so it's closer to the source material. I'm keeping it grey though! Green just doesn't work for some reason. That, or I don't like it!

As for her face....aahha I like it! But she won't be so serious in the final version, more sadistic-smiley is what I'm aiming for. I'm drawing lots of other characters now and re-editing Slan whenever I can. We'll see where she ends up.

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
Wow that's phenomenal. Great job! That mix of stylised angularity and organic curves is an aesthetic I adore, and constantly try to achieve. You've nailed it here.

I was about to suggest adding some freckles, but then i checked the source and didn't see any. Weird, I could have sworn...EDIT: okay there are a few on her cheeks. Great, not going crazy.

Thanks for the kind words guys

@Squiddot: I don't know how to implement skin textures correctly. I tried freckles but couldn't make it work :(

@hearTes: The older pictures were made 1.5+ years ago. They were really bad, I'm glad they're down! I'll try Slan again down the line though.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
DraceYun said:
Royal Phantom Blue or Spring Bloom Pink? I think Blue plays up her royalty and position, but Pink works with the cherry blossom motif. What do you guys prefer?

Terrific work, Drace! My vote also goes to pink. Your use of the gold/tan in that version really makes it stand out!

I like your portrait of Luka! :ubik: What you've done on the Danan pic looks great, too! While I like both, I prefer the pink one. I particularly like the hair.

TryThisOne

Don't abandon what you can't replace
Both are outstanding DraceYun, great job!! :ubik:
Its quite hard to choose.. but I would say the pink one. As you said it has the cherry blossom motif.

I wonder if you guessed the color(s) Miura has in mind ...

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
DraceYun said:
Royal Phantom Blue or Spring Bloom Pink? I think Blue plays up her royalty and position, but Pink works with the cherry blossom motif. What do you guys prefer?

Definitely would go for pink. But I think you had an opportunity for a nice green color for her. Maybe a pink and green mix :guts:

Top Bottom