Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 57

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 57: Eclipse III [Vol. 13] (2hr 30 min)

By the end of this episode, the dreaded Eclipse is behind us. In a lot of ways, this was our biggest challenge. Researching and then partaking in a close reading of such a grueling event did a number on me. As always, there's a lot to cover. SK and Zodd's relationship; the final moments of Judo, Carcus, Pippin and Gaston; the Idea of Evil and the creation of Beherits; the limits of Guts' abilities; Casca's rape; Femto; SK's escape... and the rest we'll leave on the table for our next session.

=========================================
Don't forget you can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, or by pasting this address into your favorite podcast app: http://skullknight.net/podcast/rss.xml
=========================================

Excellent coverage of the Eclipse! :ubik: I even felt a bit emotional when you talked about the Judo, Corkus and Gastons demise, kinda miss those guys now after hearing you talk about them. However I cannot imagine Guts being with anyone else than his new group nowadays.

The only complaint I have is that there are not enough episodes but jokes aside this is the only podcast I truly look forward to. Great job as always and thanks for doing this.

Now I am off to reread the Eclipse and take special note of that gulping fish apostle and the little guy in Gastons head.

The level of psychology within the serie and specifically in this volume, always strike me. The creativity in Miura's art, is way beyond graphic and gore denomination. The variety and specific designs (familiar and strange in the same time) of every apostles creatures, the scenery, everything is as much fascinating as repulsive. It's a rare feeling, i only experience watching certain paintings, printmaking and maybe documentaries.

At one point you talked about the apostles had a choice in some level in their current form. I always thought the Idea of Evil was the one ''giving'' them a physical shape of their inner and profound desires.

Anyway, good job guys. What an episode ! :ubik:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks asic and ryO!

ryOtoha said:
At one point you talked about the apostles had a choice in some level in their current form. I always thought the Idea of Evil was the one ''giving'' them a physical shape of their inner and profound desires.

In Vol 3, the God Hand talk about giving the count the form and power he desired. (If I had the volume in front of me, I'd quote it). And in Ep 83, though stripped from the volume, the Idea of Evil tells Femto: "Take within you the power of feelings this inner world is filled with, and change the physical field that is your body into a suitable shape." And while it seems clear that Femto was getting some special treatment over what a random apostle might encounter during the transformation, it could be somewhat the same process as far as the choice for form is concerned.

Walter said:
In Vol 3, the God Hand talk about giving the count the form and power he desired. (If I had the volume in front of me, I'd quote it). And in Ep 83, though stripped from the volume, the Idea of Evil tells Femto: "Take within you the power of feelings this inner world is filled with, and change the physical field that is your body into a suitable shape."

I own the french version so even if i translate it, i'd prefer if somebody could give me the correct sentence. Anyway, it goes like this :

We'll give you the body that not even torture or hopelessness can bother you

From that version, it doesn't mean that the count choose his form but instead that (the IoE through) the God hand gave him a form.

Walter said:
And while it seems clear that Femto was getting some special treatment over what a random apostle might encounter during the transformation, it could be somewhat the same process as far as the choice for form is concerned.

Could it be possible that the rest of the God hand also get this special treatment when the random apostle are granted form from the God Hand/IoE ?

Man, talking (again) about those kind subtilities is awesome :guts:

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Really enjoyed the extra long episode! It was very engaging and I never lost interest (how could I with this particular subject material!?). I'm glad this volume is getting all the attention to detail that it deserves, and of course, I expected nothing less from y'all. I was pretty amazed that I was recalling, very clearly, all of the panels and scenes that y'all were discussing. This part left a lasting impression, indeed.

asic said:
I even felt a bit emotional when you talked about the Judo, Corkus and Gastons demise, kinda miss those guys now after hearing you talk about them.

Likewise. Judeau's death has always been one of the saddest moments for me. I love how Miura handled it. Leaving Judeau's feelings unresolved is just devastating.

Again, great job guys!

Oburi

All praise Grail
Great Podcast! When you guys brought up that particular apostle that has a sort of upside down creepy smile face I chuckled. That was the first image I used in my old "Where's Waldo" Berserk picture game (and yes, I flipped the image:)

Always a fun listen. Griff was missed this episode!

But you guys were great. You sounded like a couple of kids going crazy in a candy store with all the apostles to point out and discuss. I got a kick out of it, and appreciate the analysis as always. Eagerly awaiting vol. 16's reread in the distant future! :ubik:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Awesome episode, guys! I think that this may have been the most “fun" I’ve ever had mentally recounting the events of the Eclipse. :ganishka: Although, Walter, I think you summed things up pretty well with your line about not needing to see the inside of Gaston’s head. There’s a long list of things in that volume that make it kind of a day-ruiner in spite of (or because of) its quality. :judo: So that said, I appreciate you guys taking so much time to get to all the details, even during the really difficult bits.

I really enjoyed the part where you talked a little bit about apostles in terms of their redeemability. That got me thinking about how Miura has been presenting this issue to the reader, particularly in the case of the new Band of the Falcon. For an example, Locus and Grunbeld are not seen at the Eclipse, and while initially appearing to be pretty chivalrous and admirable by their reputations, the gold foil has been slowly peeling, and I think Miura has been revealing that they’re really not such great guys, even if they’re not necessarily interested in eating people. In contrast, Irvine is starting to be set apart in this area by his actions, particularly recently. Am I jumping the gun here, or do you think he’s being set up as a breed of genuinely human-friendly apostle? :guts: It's definitely a funny thought to have so soon after reviewing this volume.

I'm also wondering what Miura's comments for the episodes in this volume will be. I hope it didn't get him too down in the dumps to draw all this stuff. Or maybe it had a cathartic effect?

Looking forward to the next episode, and I hope Griff can join in again soon!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:
Awesome episode, guys! I think that this may have been the most “fun" I’ve ever had mentally recounting the events of the Eclipse. :ganishka: Although, Walter, I think you summed things up pretty well with your line about not needing to see the inside of Gaston’s head. There’s a long list of things in that volume that make it kind of a day-ruiner in spite of (or because of) its quality. :judo: So that said, I appreciate you guys taking so much time to get to all the details, even during the really difficult bits.

Thanks for the comments. LIke I said in the description, this portion of the series really was a bummer to review at this level of scrutiny. I don't often think of myself as a very sentimental person, but it really brought out the wuss in me, watching these guys get devoured in such gruesome detail...

I really enjoyed the part where you talked a little bit about apostles in terms of their redeemability. That got me thinking about how Miura has been presenting this issue to the reader, particularly in the case of the new Band of the Falcon. For an example, Locus and Grunbeld are not seen at the Eclipse, and while initially appearing to be pretty chivalrous and admirable by their reputations, the gold foil has been slowly peeling, and I think Miura has been revealing that they’re really not such great guys, even if they’re not necessarily interested in eating people. In contrast, Irvine is starting to be set apart in this area by his actions, particularly recently. Am I jumping the gun here, or do you think he’s being set up as a breed of genuinely human-friendly apostle? :guts: It's definitely a funny thought to have so soon after reviewing this volume.

Yeah, I don't really know myself how Miura plans to walk that tightrope. I think Aazealh said it more eloquently a few years ago, but human natures range from completely evil shitbag to not so bad, but as apostles, by nature the ceiling for "goodness" is still demonic. So... I don't think there's any way around that, even with a scene like Irvine giving his coat to Sonia. I look forward to reviewing Volumes like 23 so we can dig a little deeper into the concept though.

I'm also wondering what Miura's comments for the episodes in this volume will be. I hope it didn't get him too down in the dumps to draw all this stuff. Or maybe it had a cathartic effect?

When I was thinking of questions for our 2009 interview with Miura, I specifically included one to give him an opening to talk about moments like this in the series, and here's how it went down:

Q5: What portion of the story was the most difficult in terms of making hard decisions about where to take the direction of the series? Any regrets?

No specific part was especially difficult or regrettable to me.
D'oh! :ganishka:

Looking forward to the next episode, and I hope Griff can join in again soon!

Me too :sad:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:

He's said before about the members of the Band of the Falcon who died during the Eclipse that they were just characters to him, and even implied that it would have been a bit weird for him to care (not an exact quote, my memory's foggy). Might have been when the PS2 game came out, regarding the section in which they appear.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Walter said:
Thanks for the comments. LIke I said in the description, this portion of the series really was a bummer to review at this level of scrutiny. I don't often think of myself as a very sentimental person, but it really brought out the wuss in me, watching these guys get devoured in such gruesome detail...
I don't think there's anything wrong with getting sentimental about this part of the story. In fact, I think some of my favorite parts of the reread are when you guys talk about your feelings in the context of a scene. :guts: So, there's some feedback from a certified sentimental wuss.

Walter said:
When I was thinking of questions for our 2009 interview with Miura, I specifically included one to give him an opening to talk about moments like this in the series, and here's how it went down:
I had actually thought about that portion of the interview as well, but I guess I was interpreting the question as being more about the overall structuring of the plot and making tough decisions from an objective perspective, rather than feeling a particular emotion during the process that made it difficult to create.

Aazealh said:
He's said before about the members of the Band of the Falcon who died during the Eclipse that they were just characters to him, and even implied that it would have been a bit weird for him to care (not an exact quote, my memory's foggy). Might have been when the PS2 game came out, regarding the section in which they appear.
That's interesting, I hadn't heard about that! I think it's easy for me as a reader to project my emotions onto Miura sometimes. An author's feelings towards their characters seems to differ a lot, but I'm going to see not being too attached as a good thing in this case. :slan:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Guts_100 said:
I like how you guys have changed the theme music to the track from the eclipse in the old anime ('Murder' I think)....intense song.

Thanks. We did it last episode, too :guts:

Dunno what I'll use next time.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
How about Forces 2?

Sure, I have options. I just meant that I chose Murder specifically because of the section of the story we were discussing. And this next part doesn't necessarily have an obvious music motif. That's all.

Top Bottom