Love in Berserk (Guts and Casca and others)

To me, the scene when Casca and Griffith first met sums it up well. Griffith didn't kill the rapist for Casca. He put a sword within her reach and she chose to take it up and defend herself. She came from a village where the people didn't know how to protect themselves and so they were at the mercy of anyone stronger, like an invading army. Casca saw what happened to them and how they just lived in fear and accepted their fates. I think once Casca got a taste of standing up for herself and realized there might be other possibilities for her life where she could become someone strong enough to defend herself she didn't want to go back to being helpless.

Griffith was her inspiration. He showed her that there was another way she could live and changed her life forever, but Casca had the strength and will to build that new life for herself.

Casca did dedicate herself to Griffith, but I think at her core is a person who wants to have the ability to defend herself and what she cares about and who has the courage and determination to gain that ability. I think that's a big part of what Guts loves about her.

I am shifting gears just a tad here, I made this thread to talk about the love relationships through out the story and Casca and Guts love is a very large focus of story and I have been thinks about this lately, but do you think Guts and Casca need to end up with each other and live happily ever after in order for you to be satisfied with their love story? Would it ruin it for you if they did not end up walking into the sunset together at the end of the story? Personally i really want them to have some kind of future together post Griffith killing (if they both survive) but i also wondered if they would end up like Flora and Skull Knight. (well not exactly, since it's not explicitly stated they had a relationship for each other) Guts has Skull Knights armor and, who knows if he will end up like him due to the armor (or in a similar situation) that might prevent him from having a complete happily ever after relationship with Casca. Sometimes I wonder if the story will end with Casca and relationship being in situation where they love each other but do not necessarily get to be together as a couple due to circumstances in the story. Would that ruin it for any one? I would be "O.K." with this scenario only if they still had open affection and love for each other in spite of them not being able together? Sometimes love stories like that can be very powerful.

While I would prefer for Guts and Casca to be together, as long as they find some fulfillment or peace at the end of the story I think I'll be satisfied with it. Even if it's bittersweet and they ultimately aren't able to be together I could still find it good.

Top Bottom