Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 65

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 65: Assassin at Dusk (Ep 338) (1h 14m)

A little late, but no worse for wear, we return to dive straight into the action with 338's arrival on our doorstep.

Rakshas, Tapasa, Rickert's decision, the future of Falconia, Ninja Turtles, Ewoks and Gaiseric?! It's alllllll here, folks!

Credit for the episode's photo belongs to Lithrael!

===========================================
Don't forget you can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes
or by plugging this address into your favorite podcast app:
http://skullknight.net/podcast/rss.xml

===========================================

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
ive heard every skullcast but this one in particular ive been eager for. :ubik:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Really enjoyed this. Thanks guys.

Silat has always been one of my favorite characters. He's just so incredibly badass and he's been in this series for a very long time now, and whenever he pops up something exciting happens. He's been incredibly smart gathering information for so long now, to see him come to the defense of Rickert, especially challenging an apostle like Rakshas, just makes him even more of a badass. I know it's been speculated on for many, many years now but I've always loved thinking about when the time comes for Silat to finally come into contact with Guts again. With all that he's learned, and the fact that he and Guts have their own history, it's going to be so great to see these two mighty human warriors put together what they know and join forces and kick some apostle ass!

Totally agree. Silat has been one of my favorites since we met him and he's basically been in no man's land for the entire story. I've always wondered how he would be woven in to the major characters plot lines and it seems like I might have an answer.

Great podcast. I've listened to them all at this point and am yet to be disappointed. I don't have anyone in my life that shares my interest in Berserk to hash things out with so I always enjoy listening to you guys doing so. Thanks :ubik:

Oburi said:
Really enjoyed this. Thanks guys.

Silat has always been one of my favorite characters. He's just so incredibly badass and he's been in this series for a very long time now, and whenever he pops up something exciting happens. He's been incredibly smart gathering information for so long now, to see him come to the defense of Rickert, especially challenging an apostle like Rakshas, just makes him even more of a badass. I know it's been speculated on for many, many years now but I've always loved thinking about when the time comes for Silat to finally come into contact with Guts again. With all that he's learned, and the fact that he and Guts have their own history, it's going to be so great to see these two mighty human warriors put together what they know and join forces and kick some apostle ass!

Yes, Silat definitely grew on me as the series continued. It's also worth mentioning that he usually shows up at some kind of turning point in the story, or maybe it's just coincidence...Anyways, it would definitely be interesting to see him interact with Guts again at some point but I'm not sure that will happen considering where the characters are at this point. But Rickert might recognize Silat since he was there when the band was attacked before Griffith's rescue.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the comments, guys. Glad you all enjoyed the show!

Technical difficulties made it much more difficult than normal to get it up and running this time... :farnese: But I honestly thought it was one of our better shows, so I'm glad I was able to get it to you guys.

The only thing I felt we didn't cover was our thoughts on Rakshas' apostle form (if we'll see it, and what the nature of it might be). No pun intended, but we're basically stabbing in the dark on this subject: We don't even know what he looks like under that cloak, much less what his apostle form will be.

Aaz and Griff might have more solid ideas in their heads of what it will look like, but I feel out of my depth even taking a stab at it. I suppose it will have to be quite special, given how diverse the other apostle lieutenants' forms have been. They had unconventional forms that were also in line with their tendences/personalities. So for Rakshas, a malleable assassin, maybe some kind of nonphysical, enveloping darkness...?

Well, assuming he even gets overwhelmed enough to the point of transforming it would probably be a much more intense version of what we have already seen. I could see Rakshas turning into some kind of spider or maybe that monster from Pan's labyrinth with some vampire-like qualities. Definitely something horrific and disturbing!

Great discussion all around! I really enjoyed it, thanks! :ubik:

I have a question. Why do you think Locus felt the need to show Rickert the demon side of things? I mean before Locus showed up I felt like Rickert was kind of on the pre-approved "this version is sanctioned by Griffith" version of the tour with Sir Owen. Rickert was seeing the most impressive, altruistic, and "kosher" side of Griffith's new capital. Then Locus showed up and it didn't seem to me like that was an expected part of Rickert's visit from the way Owen reacted. Then Locus proceeds to explain the "seedy underbelly" of Falconia to Rickert and then gets mad when Rickert rejects joining back up with Griffith's new project. I mean if Locus wanted Rickert to buy in so much, then why did he show him the ugly stuff? The only answer I can come up with is that he wanted to see if Rickert would still accept an alliance with Griffith while being in possession of all the facts, the good, the bad, and the ugly so to speak. Maybe he thought anything less than giving Rickert that full disclosure wouldn't produce an honest answer from Rickert and if he found out about the not so pretty side of Falconia later he might change his mind and betray Griffith after he had decided to become an insider. That does make sense because an insider who turns traiter is a lot more dangerous than someone who just outright refuses to join up (who can then be conveniently gotten rid of). So maybe Locus thought he would try to flush out Rickert's true feelings about the situation from the get go and not risk him going rogue later. What do you think?
As far as Rickert's answer to Griffith went I don't think it would have changed anyway. I think seeing Pandemonium probably did steel his resolve somewhat, but like he said he was the one that crafted and placed all the swords to create the memorial tribute to his lost comrades. Rickert didn't want to be part of this new dream that had killed his former family anyway.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
JMP said:
Great discussion all around! I really enjoyed it, thanks! :ubik:

I have a question. Why do you think Locus felt the need to show Rickert the demon side of things? I mean before Locus showed up I felt like Rickert was kind of on the pre-approved "this version is sanctioned by Griffith" version of the tour with Sir Owen. Rickert was seeing the most impressive, altruistic, and "kosher" side of Griffith's new capital. Then Locus showed up and it didn't seem to me like that was an expected part of Rickert's visit from the way Owen reacted. Then Locus proceeds to explain the "seedy underbelly" of Falconia to Rickert and then gets mad when Rickert rejects joining back up with Griffith's new project. I mean if Locus wanted Rickert to buy in so much, then why did he show him the ugly stuff?

Locus explains his intent pretty straightforwardly to Rickert in Ep 336. He was curious about this person, who knew Griffith as a human, and what he was expecting from his former leader. So, wanted to show Rickert why it was futile to expect his old leader to be the same man he once knew. Showing him the apostle den also served as an intimidation tactic that didn't work, because none of that stuff truly mattered to Rickert when it came to making his choice. The slap was how he concluded his processing of what happened at the Eclipse and his comrades. He hadn't yet faced Griffith since knowing the truth.

Ok, gotcha.
Walter said:
Showing him the apostle den also served as an intimidation tactic that didn't work, because none of that stuff truly mattered to Rickert when it came to making his choice.
Yup, how badass is Rickert that he stayed faithful to his purpose and true feelings throughout all the stuff that was thrown at him that day? I mean, damn. Rickert's force of will and honest intentions cut right through all Griffith's fairy tail bullshit and Locus' intimidation and allowed for that glorious bitch slap of the "Falcon of Light". Pure awesome! Now that is some real strength. :rickert:

JMP said:
and then (Locus) gets mad when Rickert rejects joining back up with Griffith's new project.
I was off right here. Locus wasn't mad for that reason. As I'm pretty sure was already mentioned by someone else, Locus becomes angry when he witnesses the fairly big effect Rickert's reaction has on Griffith.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JMP said:
I have a question. Why do you think Locus felt the need to show Rickert the demon side of things? I mean before Locus showed up I felt like Rickert was kind of on the pre-approved "this version is sanctioned by Griffith" version of the tour with Sir Owen. Rickert was seeing the most impressive, altruistic, and "kosher" side of Griffith's new capital. [...] I mean if Locus wanted Rickert to buy in so much, then why did he show him the ugly stuff?

It's not like there was any chance of Rickert being fooled by the pretty sights. Locus' main goal was not for Rickert to buy into anything, it was to prevent him from bothering Griffith with unseemly questions and expectations. He had guessed what Rickert meant to talk to Griffith about (what happened during the Eclipse) and was trying to sway him from that path. And it actually worked, Rickert was intimidated by all that he had seen when he came face to face with Griffith. But when Griffith pretty much read his mind and directly addressed the point of contention, well... you know what happened.

I guess I just see this in a different light. My impression of Locus' intentions for the time he spent with Rickert was to show Rickert that Griffith was more than worthy, basically saying “You should totally worship Griffith – and here's why!”. I didn't see it as primarily an attempt at intimidation, but an effort to bring Rickert around to their side by explaining all the reasons Locus thinks Griffith is an excellent leader who has ultimately benefited the world. Locus' way of going about this is pretty forceful, and I agree that it did intimidate Rickert. There is definitely an aspect of shock and awe to Locus' persuasion technique that I think he was aiming to zap Rickert with.

Locus seems to suspect that Rickert already has some knowledge of apostles, but he doesn't seem sure of how much. When he takes Rickert to see Pandemonium, it was like Locus wanted to reveal this place to Rickert on his own terms and to give Rickert his side of things. He explains this relatively ugly side of Griffith's power in a fairly positive light. He doesn't try to hide the violent nature of apostles, but he explains that all this potentially destructive power has now been harnessed by Griffith to protect humans. When Rickert calls them monsters, Locus points out that they were once human and puts a bit of a spin on how they came to be what they are, conveniently not mentioning that each one of them had to make a sacrifice of something or someone precious to them in the bargain. When Locus says of Griffith “He granted us deviants a place to stay.” it reminded me of when the torturer who wore the bird mask talked about how Mozgus had given his group of former outcasts a sense of belonging and purpose. Locus also points out to Rickert that Griffith has ended fighting among humans, and that people no longer fear death because they're able to see their dearly departed's souls thanks to Griffith. So to me, it does seem like Locus was trying to convince Rickert to get on board with appreciating the Falcon of Light as much as he apparently does.

When I first saw how angry Locus was when he got so pissed he was crushing the ledge on the building I thought it was weird. I guess I just didn't expect that sort of strong reaction at seeing Griffith's disappointment or distress about Rickert's rejection from this seemingly so cold and stoic tough-looking apostle, but Locus just seems to feel some really strong sense of loyalty and protectiveness over Griffith, maybe at least in part because of how he feels Griffith has given himself and the other apostles a home of sorts in Falconia that they never had before. I thought the parallel between how Locus and Casca act toward Griffith that Aazealh mentioned was really interesting. One reason that Locus might have been so intent on convincing Rickert to become a fellow Griffith devotee is that he knows Rickert was a former member of the original Band of the Falcon. Locus knows the value that group of people had to Griffith since they were important enough to him to serve as a sacrifice for his transformation. What I'm trying to say is that Locus would guess that being able to reconnect with Rickert would be something Griffith would desire, so maybe he wanted to push Rickert in that direction to facilitate it.

JMP said:
When I first saw how angry Locus was when he got so pissed he was crushing the ledge on the building I thought it was weird. I guess I just didn't expect that sort of strong reaction at seeing Griffith's disappointment or distress about Rickert's rejection from this seemingly so cold and stoic tough-looking apostle, but Locus just seems to feel some really strong sense of loyalty and protectiveness over Griffith, maybe at least in part because of how he feels Griffith has given himself and the other apostles a home of sorts in Falconia that they never had before. I thought the parallel between how Locus and Casca act toward Griffith that Aazealh mentioned was really interesting.

Another interesting dynamic to Locus' relationship with Griffith is the fact it's an apostle-God Hand relationship as well. Remember what Ganishka said on the subject?

Episode 231 said:
page 18

Ganishka - The appearance of the Hawk. Which meant the transfiguration of the
world. All those who transmigrated knows this instinctively.

Ganishka - And to follow the Hawk is the greatest thing for us non humans. It
is like being beside a god and to be held by god

I believe, to Locus, it goes beyond the anger a knight would show to his general/king being slapped. I think there's also a religious aspect to his anger. In the eyes of the apostles, you're not just slapping their secular leader. You're slapping their god (or being close to god) as well.

Skeleton said:
Another interesting dynamic to Locus' relationship with Griffith is the fact it's an apostle-God Hand relationship as well. Remember what Ganishka said on the subject?

I believe, to Locus, it goes beyond the anger a knight would show to his general/king being slapped. I think there's also a religious aspect to his anger. In the eyes of the apostles, you're not just slapping their secular leader. You're slapping their god (or being close to god) as well.
That's a great point, Skeleton!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JMP said:
I guess I just see this in a different light. My impression of Locus' intentions for the time he spent with Rickert was to show Rickert that Griffith was more than worthy, basically saying “You should totally worship Griffith – and here's why!”. I didn't see it as primarily an attempt at intimidation, but an effort to bring Rickert around to their side by explaining all the reasons Locus thinks Griffith is an excellent leader who has ultimately benefited the world. Locus' way of going about this is pretty forceful, and I agree that it did intimidate Rickert. There is definitely an aspect of shock and awe to Locus' persuasion technique that I think he was aiming to zap Rickert with.

You say Locus wanted to bring Rickert around to their side, but that's not reflected in their talk. At no point does he encourage Rickert to "join up" or anything, he rather questions his motivations for wanting to see Griffith right from the start (despite the fact Rickert didn't initiate that visit). Locus had guessed what Rickert's reasons for seeing Griffith were, and was trying to dissuade him from pursuing that course. Now, you say intimidation wasn't his primary objective, but why did he take him to the Pandemonium then? Rickert already knew what apostles were. Locus could have told him everything without taking him there, he didn't need to show him the hellish arena. How was that supposed to convince Rickert to "join" the cause, especially since Locus knew Rickert wanted to talk about his comrades' fate?

Locus-creep.jpg

JMP said:
Locus seems to suspect that Rickert already has some knowledge of apostles, but he doesn't seem sure of how much.

I think it's pretty clear he knows Rickert knows from the glance he gives him.

JMP said:
When he takes Rickert to see Pandemonium, it was like Locus wanted to reveal this place to Rickert on his own terms and to give Rickert his side of things.

If the goal was merely for Rickert to support Griffith's cause, then there was no need for him to ever see that place.

JMP said:
He explains this relatively ugly side of Griffith's power in a fairly positive light. He doesn't try to hide the violent nature of apostles, but he explains that all this potentially destructive power has now been harnessed by Griffith to protect humans. When Rickert calls them monsters, Locus points out that they were once human and puts a bit of a spin on how they came to be what they are, conveniently not mentioning that each one of them had to make a sacrifice of something or someone precious to them in the bargain. When Locus says of Griffith “He granted us deviants a place to stay.” it reminded me of when the torturer who wore the bird mask talked about how Mozgus had given his group of former outcasts a sense of belonging and purpose. Locus also points out to Rickert that Griffith has ended fighting among humans, and that people no longer fear death because they're able to see their dearly departed's souls thanks to Griffith. So to me, it does seem like Locus was trying to convince Rickert to get on board with appreciating the Falcon of Light as much as he apparently does.

That's Locus' own fervor shining through his talk. And there's more than one thing he's not truthful about. You're right in thinking that it comes across like a sales pitch, because it totally does. But Locus is as much trying to sell it to Rickert as he's selling it to himself here IMHO, reciting the gospel with a dreamy look on his face. Furthermore, it actually still works towards preventing Rickert from asking Griffith the tough questions. I view it as being as much a part of his intimidation tactic ("look what great feats he's accomplished!") as the more gruesome part of the trip, and both things come to Rickert's mind (the soul gathering and the apostles screaming) when he finally faces Griffith.

JMP said:
When I first saw how angry Locus was when he got so pissed he was crushing the ledge on the building I thought it was weird. I guess I just didn't expect that sort of strong reaction at seeing Griffith's disappointment or distress about Rickert's rejection from this seemingly so cold and stoic tough-looking apostle, but Locus just seems to feel some really strong sense of loyalty and protectiveness over Griffith, maybe at least in part because of how he feels Griffith has given himself and the other apostles a home of sorts in Falconia that they never had before.

No offense, but I really find it strange that it surprised you. From Ganishka's reaction when Griffith stood before him to the way the apostles all converged to serve him in Shet, not to mention their behavior during the Eclipse or even Locus' own talk with Ganishka in volume 27, it's always been clear how reveringly they regard him. And that's doubly true for Locus, who's had his creepily-fervant moments before (like in volume 33). On a side note, his reaction in episode 338 can inform how benevolent you believe he was in 336.

JMP said:
What I'm trying to say is that Locus would guess that being able to reconnect with Rickert would be something Griffith would desire, so maybe he wanted to push Rickert in that direction to facilitate it.

If Rickert reconnecting with Griffith really was important, one of his lieutenants would be trying to convince him to change his mind instead of trying to assassinate him. Apostles will be apostles. Don't forget that their natural instinct is to prey on people, not to protect or befriend them.

Furthermore, for all intents and purposes, this part of Griffith's life is far behind him now. And my feeling is that all things considered, Locus would prefer for the past to remain in the past. That means Rickert being out of the picture.

As usual you make excellent points and grounds for your opinions, so thanks for sharing your thoughts on the subject and helping me clarify my perspective on it. After reconsidering this I agree with you that intimidation was the goal. I can see that a lot of where I was going with this was misguided and didn't make sense.

Even as early as the panel in episode 335 Locus is giving off an ominous vibe when Owen and Rickert are talking and Locus is lurking above listening in. Rickert is asked about being long acquainted with Griffith and responds “Yes, from a time when the Band of the Falcon were no better than bandits.” and Owen says “Hahaha...I really want to hear about that.” I get the feeling that Locus has already taken umbrage at the less than respectful way Rickert is talking about the “Falcon of Light” and that he doesn't want Rickert telling anybody anything about Griffith's humbler days of the past.
I think Locus' intentions were to instill the “fear of the Lord”, as it were, in Rickert. The message being “Griffith is so superior to you, a peon like you better have respect.” I think his outlook on Rickert is that if Rickert is going to be around he needs to learn to show deference to Griffith and if he can't do that he needs to go away....permanently.

Aazealh said:
No offense, but I really find it strange that it surprised you.
None taken. It was a side of the picture that was silly of me to have overlooked.

Top Bottom