Episode 339

puella

Berserk forever
The gag with the Tapasa made my day! How could we have ever expected them to be so funny?
The scene with the two of them crouching in the stable is my favorite in this episode.
Maybe Daiba will get to talk to them in the next episode?
I can't still believe we'll have new episodes every month! :guts:

Thanks Aaz for the summary. I'm not sure if I want to leave Falconia episodes now, it's so interesting the future of the new potential group (Bakarika+Rickert) and if they'll cross their paths with Guts and company :ubik:.

Before the Kushans attacked this holy land, a long time ago, we Bakiraka hid ourselves in an impregnable fortress and made a living as assassins for hundreds of years.

Several people have mentioned that the fortress is in Silat's homeland. But from Azzeahls "rough" translation it could also be somewhere in Midland. The journey to Kushan territory sounds like it would take quite a while but also remove all the characters "good guys" from the country and therefor our inside view in Falconia. Either way I cannot wait to see this new location and what evil now probably resides in it.

Perhaps this is the perfect segway into Elfhelm once they leave Falconia. Next time we see Falconia, will all the residents be gone? Perhaps in the bellies of the less human looking residents :griffnotevil:

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
Great work on the translation Aaz. And it's good to hear Erica is still going to be heading off with Rickert despite the very real threat of apostles on their heels. It doesn't seem like Luca and her girls are going to be heading along which is a shame, but I can see their hand being forced into accompanying them with whatever Rakshas is cooking up.

And speaking of Luca, she's on a roll! Just like last episode, she has some wise words that have a lot of weight in their own context, but also have so much significance to the main themes developing in the story, She is of course living proof that "people who have somebody to protect tend to live unexpectedly long" after her adventure through Albion. And that line just gives me the faintest hope that Rickert, Guts and everybody else out there fighting for the betterment of others are gonna be alright. Of course, we can't be too optimistic.

Please Miura, give us more Erica/Tapasa comedy

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Looking over the episode again, it's so tantalizing that every major character in Luca's place has some connection to Guts (Luca, Rickert, Daiba and Silat), and he even comes up indirectly in talks here, but none of them have made the connection yet. When it happens, it's going to be "wow, why didn't you mention that earlier?"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CheAkiwara said:
Given how the Episode ended , is it safe to say that we get a transition to Guts & Co. next Ep. ? :???:

With Rakshas lurking on a statue intent on a rematch? No...?

CheAkiwara

大天使 ~ ボイド
I dont think that the so-called "rematch" will take up the entire Episode. I imagine there will be a little encounter with Rakshas but Rickert & Friends will escape on Daibas´s Pterodactyl before Rakshas manages to harm any of them. Or I could be completely wrong and Miura goes ahead and gives us the long awaited Apostle form of Rakshas , either way I will be having wet dreams until next month. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CheAkiwara said:
I dont think that the so-called "rematch" will take up the entire Episode.

Miura doesn't regularly change perspectives like that on the fly, mid-episode. When it happens, it'll more than likely be between episodes. And it doesn't make sense for it to be now, with that ball still up in the air.

CheAkiwara said:
I imagine there will be a little encounter with Rakshas but Rickert & Friends will escape on Daibas´s Pterodactyl* before Rakshas manages to harm any of them

*Garuda, and yep. Mentioned that possibility back on Page 2.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Also, NEW MASK GUYS! Any ideas? I'm assuming it will be new yet similar to the last, and if he's already wearing it in that shot possibly sleeker and less toothy than the last (of course those details could just be obscured).

I'm guessing it won't be too much of a departure. That last panel makes me wonder whether he's wearing the new mask yet though, because of the shape of his head. Could also just be a stylistic choice.

JMP said:
Man, I'm excited to see the Bakiraka's hideout. It should be interesting seeing their escape from Falconia, what with Rakshas out on the prowl now.

Yeah, their escape will certainly prove interesting. Like I said before I expect Rickert will be able to show off some of his gear, and I really wouldn't be surprised if Daiba came to the rescue with his Garuda.

But I'm thinking there could also be more. With the previous episode, we thought that barring an escape, an overwhelming force (like Griffith) might have to intervene to stop Rakshas, even though that felt pretty unlikely. That didn't account for his quirkiness, which bought them some time. But I'm wondering if he might not still prove to be too formidable for them to even escape now. And given this episode's title, I'm also wondering if the "boy under the moonlight" won't be making an appearance... Now this is some pretty shaky ground, and he doesn't really have a reason to intervene in the first place (he usually only does to save mom and pops), but the similarity between episodes titles feels like too much of a coincidence to me, and I'm kind of expecting the next one to be "The capital city under the moonlight (2)".

Delta Phi said:
I think I'm just as sad as Rakshas that his mask is broken. This was a surreal episode. I never anticipated Rakshas to have ALL these tricks up his cloak. I'm almost starting to wonder if he isn't always in his apostle form. The more we see of him, the more questions I have.

Oh, I'm sure he's got even more tricks up his very long sleeve. :rakshas:

Lono said:
So he upgraded his katars. I took a closer look at the handle of the Urimi and its also different. It's probably just the design but maybe we'll see something new with those too.

Well Guts cut through the ones he had in volume 9, remember? I would wager that he's had these since then. Same thing for his attire, it's been consistent since volume 18. I don't think much can be derived from what little we can see of the Urumi though (but we also know they're different ones because he left the others after his defeat against Guts).

Walter said:
The Tapasa's super-quick improvisational counter manuever was so cool to see in this episode, and of course it created an immediate opening for Silat. In the course of this one skirmish, they managed to get the upper-hand on Rakshas twice (column crush + face stab), and both of those successes were the result of coordination.

I am such a fan of Silat, the Tapasa, and the Bakiraka as a whole. They're seriously cool enough that they could even have their own series.

Walter said:
I'll admit, I wasn't very excited about Rickert going with the Bakiraka over Falconia, because I think he's a more valuable witness for the events within Falconia than in the outside world. But this convinced me otherwise.

Well we actually got the best of both worlds! Rickert and Erika's mad dash towards Falconia as refugees fleeing a hostile world, their discovery of Falconia and meeting with the others, Rickert's experience with the castle, him witnessing the ceremony with the dead and the apostles' lair, and then the meeting with Griffith and the dramatic slap. And THEN Rakshas tries to assassinate him, he's rescued by the Bakiraka and escapes from the city. All of that in what, a single volume? To think some people complain about the pacing...

By the way, note that we didn't get an answer regarding whether Griffith sent Rakshas or not.

Walter said:
He hasn't had time to rig up something proper, so he'll probably take whatever he can get his hands on around the city. So, probably a falcon. :iva:

I was actually thinking he might have a collection of masks. He strikes me as the kind that just might be into that. :rakshas:

Walter said:
I had that same reaction, but as Aaz pointed out to me, it could just be something similar to Zodd's "you've improved, boy!"

Yeah, he's definitely saying this as in "I'm top of my league and you're just a novice."

Walter said:
Same, but to clarify, they were exiled from their actual homeland centuries ago (told in Vol 22). What Silat is talking about is their makeshift encampment that they've called home all these years since then. And since the group worked for multiple countries, probably somewhere on the outskirts of them all, probably NOT very close, I'd wager.

Might get there relatively fast if they're flying, though. :slan: Although I imagine they probably have a group of people waiting for them nearby and didn't come to Falconia just by themselves.

asic said:
Several people have mentioned that the fortress is in Silat's homeland. But from Azzeahls "rough" translation it could also be somewhere in Midland.

We don't know exactly where their hideout is situated, however since they were exiled from the Kushan empire, it clearly isn't there.

asic said:
The journey to Kushan territory sounds like it would take quite a while but also remove all the characters "good guys" from the country and therefor our inside view in Falconia.

Luka and her girls don't plan on leaving Falconia.

asic said:
Either way I cannot wait to see this new location and what evil now probably resides in it.

I doubt the Bakiraka completely abandoned it. It's probably safe.

asic said:
Next time we see Falconia, will all the residents be gone? Perhaps in the bellies of the less human looking residents :griffnotevil:

...Nah.

Walter said:
He hasn't had time to rig up something proper, so he'll probably take whatever he can get his hands on around the city. So, probably a falcon.

Agreed, he wouldn't be so sad if he had a whole collection of masks. It doesn't really make any sense anyway.

idNXlp3Qp

From that gloomy close-up on the mask, do you guys think the new mask have others elements and forms on it or is it totally slick without teeth like Griffith said ? Oh man,I really love the theatrical sense of this episode.

With this dramatic and theatrical setting, it would be cool if Rakshas could wear some kind of tragic comic mask or a kid's mask stolen from the marketplace :void:

Aazealh said:
Silat muses that it's odd how Rakshas still seems to care about their clan's taboo even though he was exiled because of his evilness.

What do you mean by ''their clan's taboo'' ?

Aazealh said:
Silat responds: "There is. Before the Kushans attacked this holy land, a long time ago, we Bakiraka hid ourselves in an impregnable fortress and made a living as assassins for hundreds of years. All of the residents are warriors who train themselves day and night to develop lethal skills. Even goblins can't approach that place easily. The tyrant who hired us was destroyed, so we pondered on whether we should flock to the Falcon like other Kushans or not, but we don't want to serve an inhuman being again. Moreover, we were thinking to go back to our fortress. If the world was still fine, I would never let anybody who doesn't belong to our clan in that place, but this is a good chance for you."

That's exciting. So Rickert would have some kind of ceremony to join the clan in order to enter this fortress ?

Griffith said:
Well, it doesn't have to be dramatically different, just a subtle redesign that's still consistent and identifiable with the character...
Yeah, I guess I could handle a little change as long as it wasn't too drastic. :slan: It could be fun to see a redesign and if it does turn out to be different from his old one I'm sure whatever Miura comes up with will be pretty cool anyway.

I'd sure like to know what Rakshas did in between his exit from the ruins and reappearance on top of the statue. I wonder what he did with the old, broken mask. I can't see him just chucking it in the rubbish heap. I could see him burying it or burning it, like a little funeral. Or maybe he was able to use the pieces of it somehow in fashioning the new one.

Aazealh said:
Yeah, their escape will certainly prove interesting. Like I said before I expect Rickert will be able to show off some of his gear...
I definitely liked that fire hose idea you had mentioned! That would be pretty sweet.

Aazealh said:
...and I really wouldn't be surprised if Daiba came to the rescue with his Garuda.
Daiba's got the dreds to go along with that! :ganishka:
I think Daiba would do what he could, especially to rescue Erika, who he's developed fondness for. :daiba:

ryOtoha said:
So Rickert would have some kind of ceremony to join the clan in order to enter this fortress ?
Huh, that would be kinda neat actually. :guts: I didn't take what Silat said that way, though. I didn't think he meant Rickert would have to join the clan, but just that he would be willing to take Rickert to the Bakiraka stronghold because the world was now so messed up that there wasn't anywhere else for them to go.

Thanks so much for posting the link, RaffoBaffo. And Aaz, thank YOU so much for posting the summary! What a glorious day yesterday turned out to be.

I'm super excited to see the escape from Falconia, but even more so for what the future holds for Rickert! I have been hoping he'd encounter the Bakiraka ever since we learned about the infiltration back in episode 336. I feel like Rickert can learn a lot from them, both as an inventor and as a smith, since they have such unique weaponry.

JMP said:
I didn't take what Silat said that way, though. I didn't think he meant Rickert would have to join the clan, but just that he would be willing to take Rickert to the Bakiraka stronghold because the world was now so messed up that there wasn't anywhere else for them to go.

I know what you mean bu even with Silat'statement, i imagine Rickert may be ask to prove himself in way to the clan, to those fierce warriors who ''gained'' their place in that stronghold. And that's maybe how he would use his set of skills :serpico:

puella said:
The gag with the Tapasa made my day! How could we have ever expected them to be so funny?
The scene with the two of them crouching in the stable is my favorite in this episode.

That was unexpected and refreshing :ubik:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
JMP said:
I'd sure like to know what Rakshas did in between his exit from the ruins and reappearance on top of the statue. I wonder what he did with the old, broken mask. I can't see him just chucking it in the rubbish heap. I could see him burying it or burning it, like a little funeral. Or maybe he was able to use the pieces of it somehow in fashioning the new one.

Regarding Rakshas' mask, one thing I just realized when revisiting his his first appearance in Shet, the Tapasa recognize it ("That mask... You're Rakshas!"). So that mask was something he must have had for many years, perhaps even when he was still a human.

ryOtoha said:
I know what you mean bu even with Silat'statement, i imagine Rickert may be ask to prove himself in way to the clan, to those fierce warriors who ''gained'' their place in that stronghold. And that's maybe how he would use his set of skills :serpico:
I think seeing what Rickert and his ingenuity are capable of will definitely aid him in being accepted by the Bakiraka and I think they'll be getting a sample of that in short order. :slan:

Walter said:
Regarding Rakshas' mask, one thing I just realized when revisiting his his first appearance in Shet, the Tapasa recognize it ("That mask... You're Rakshas!"). So that mask was something he must have had for many years, perhaps even when he was still a human.
Oh, good catch! Man, no wonder Rakshas was so upset. I'm sure it was a very meaningful thing to him, as I think rage-al mentioned earlier, probably like an anchor in a way for his identity.

Even goblins can't approach that place easily.

Sorry if I'm missing something, but Goblins?

Are they new because of Fantasia, or have I overlooked something?

Guess I'll be digging through my volumes for the rest of the night! :serpico:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
JMP said:
Oh, good catch! Man, no wonder Rakshas was so upset. I'm sure it was a very meaningful thing to him, as I think rage-al mentioned earlier, probably like an anchor in a way for his identity.

Yeah, great find, and makes the whole thing even more poignant. Who would have thought that Rakshas, of all Apostles, would hold on to and care so much for a token of his humanity (even if it likely doesn't have such an innocent history). I guess he'd have the most need to, but we didn't know that because this is also the first time he's ever expressed himself so candidly with anybody, let alone about himself and how he feels. All this time he's been the sad clown. :rakshas:

N7Paladin said:

Guess I'll be digging through my volumes for the rest of the night! :serpico:

Well, the creature we see hiding in the tree at the beginning of volume 22 resembles a goblin, but the "goblins" Silat refers to may have a more specific cultural meaning in Kushan folklore like an imp, devil or bogeyman. It could also be something is lost in the translation here (goblin could also be a synonym for a ghoul of Arab mythology). In any case I think it's just an expression boiling down to, "even demons/monsters can't get in there," not a specific example of "real" creature, like the Daka for example. Of course, I'm sure they're around now, so ghouls and goblins may actually be a problem! BTW, the wiki entry for goblins is hilarious:

Grouping dwarf
Country Northwestern Europe, Scandinavia, British Isles, United States
Habitat Caves, woodland

I had no idea the United States fell into the distribution range for goblins! :ganishka:

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Walter said:
("That mask... You're Rakshas!"). So that mask was something he must have had for many years, perhaps even when he was still a human.

I think the mask's design was meant to represent that someone tried to execute him. What's now his center eye as a killing blow and the two drops, mortal blood. If he had that mask before, I think it would be missing the drops at least.

(While I'm at it, my other wild-ass-apostle-theory is that Irvine's sacrifice was his hunting dog.)

ryOtoha said:
With this dramatic and theatrical setting, it would be cool if Rakshas could wear some kind of tragic comic mask or a kid's mask stolen from the marketplace :void:

It's a coconut. That's how you know if he's following you. Clip clop. Clip clop. Where's it coming from?!?! CLIP CLOP!! :rakshas:

Griffith

Lithrael said:
I think the mask's design was meant to represent that someone tried to execute him. What's now his center eye as a killing blow and the two drops, mortal blood. If he had that mask before, I think it would be missing the drops at least.

Damn, going DEEP! Those drops could also be like a teardrop tattoo with all their meaning, but, you know, coming from his third eye so it looks weird... I like your idea better, though. =)

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of direct evidence about the potential symbolism involved, besides Rakshas literally having a third or inner eye, which, in addition to the obvious cultural significance, most likely represents otherworldly sight or perception (rather than, say, enlightenment or benevolence).

Lithrael said:
(While I'm at it, my other wild-ass-apostle-theory is that Irvine's sacrifice was his hunting dog.)

Rakshas actually has me thinking of him as well; Griffith's Apostle lieutenants are all a bunch of sensitive poets at heart! :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ryOtoha said:
Agreed, he wouldn't be so sad if he had a whole collection of masks. It doesn't really make any sense anyway.
JMP said:
Man, no wonder Rakshas was so upset. I'm sure it was a very meaningful thing to him, as I think rage-al mentioned earlier, probably like an anchor in a way for his identity.

I think people should maybe not make too much of a deal of his grief over the mask. It gives us a window into his personality, but I feel that it feeds into his character's quirkiness more than anything. Like what he told Griffith when he pledged himself to him.

Let's not forget what he is: an apostle that's basically toying with his prey, having warned hem in advance that he would hunt them down. In that fight, the Bakiraka had managed to catch him by surprise and then kept the upper hand. Now he's reversed the situation: he's back in the role of the hunter, not the hunted. And he's got a new mask.

ryOtoha said:
From that gloomy close-up on the mask, do you guys think the new mask have others elements and forms on it or is it totally slick without teeth like Griffith said ?

I highly doubt the mask will be completely featureless. That would defeat its purpose.

ryOtoha said:
What do you mean by ''their clan's taboo'' ?

Read the disclaimer at the beginning of the summary. And then maybe use your imagination?

ryOtoha said:
So Rickert would have some kind of ceremony to join the clan in order to enter this fortress ?

No? JMP got it right.

SpaceyLauss said:
I feel like Rickert can learn a lot from them, both as an inventor and as a smith, since they have such unique weaponry.

Just imagine what cool devices he might come up with based on their stuff! :ubik:

Walter said:

Great point, although I would tamper it by saying that they may have simply recognized him because he was wearing that kind of mask, and not that one mask specifically.

N7Paladin said:

Please read the disclaimer at the beginning of the summary. Also, in this case it means any type of small monster, like the ones we saw in the Qliphoth. :schnoz:

N7Paladin said:

Well yes, in this case Silat is obviously referring to the new state of the world, saying the place is so impregnable that even in Fantasia, it would be safe. And on the topic of goblins, when Fantasia came to be, we actually saw a group of pretty typical goblins in a panel (volume 34, episode 306, page 8). But really, don't think too much on this one line, it doesn't mean much.

Lithrael said:

Like Niko, you mean? :carcus: I don't know, I feel that Irvine's solitude must be a reflection of him having cast out his link to mankind in a way, and that makes me think he sacrificed people precious to him.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
I think people should maybe not make too much of a deal of his grief over the mask. It gives us a window into his personality, but I feel that it feeds into his character's quirkiness more than anything. Like what he told Griffith when he pledged himself to him.

Let's not forget what he is: an apostle that's basically toying with his prey, having warned hem in advance that he would hunt them down.

Yeah, it definitely adds to his mercurial nature, but it was shocking seeing him, or any Apostle, slink off like that, especially since he previously seemed so callous and cold-blooded. Conversely, just calling time out and casually walking away like that on his own terms also shows a sort of contempt for the whole fight; to him it's still just a game he's choosing to play, or not. Silat seems to understand best that he's not so discouraged as he might have acted. "Strangely tenacious" indeed.

Aazealh said:
Read the disclaimer at the beginning of the summary. And then maybe use your imagination?

A truly dangerous request, "They have strict rules governing sexuality?" :ganishka:

Aazealh said:
Just imagine what cool devices he might come up with based on their stuff! :ubik:

I did: Katars with blades that also fire as projectiles. :daiba:

Aazealh said:
Great point, although I would tamper it by saying that they may have simply recognized him because he was wearing that kind of mask, and not that one mask specifically.

Yeah, that wouldn't be so different from the typical Apostle wardrobe.

Aazealh said:
Like Niko, you mean? :carcus: I don't know, I feel that Irvine's solitude must be a reflection of him having cast out his link to mankind in a way, and that makes me think he sacrificed people precious to him.

He probably sacrificed his personal diary of deep forest thoughts, or his copy of Walden, and his favorite lute. :iva: Not to say these guys will be pushovers but Guts could probably cut them down with his words, let alone the Dragon Slayer. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Conversely, just calling time out and casually walking away like that on his own terms also shows a sort of contempt for the whole fight; to him it's still just a game he's choosing to play, or not.

Yep, exactly.

And they were all too happy to let him go, too. It shows how clear it is to all parties involved that he's the one in control.

Griffith said:
I did: Katars with blades that also fire as projectiles. :daiba:

Hahaha not bad, not bad at all!

Griffith said:
He probably sacrificed his personal diary of deep forest thoughts, or his copy of Walden, and his favorite lute. :iva: Not to say these guys will be pushovers but Guts will probably cut them down with his words, let alone the Dragon Slayer. :guts:

I am eagerly waiting for him to give Locus a piece of his mind. I can already feel the "Moonlight Knight's" outrage across all those years in the future.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Hahaha not bad, not bad at all!

Thank you! Likewise, he'll probably just suggest adding a hidden cannon to everything they show him, "You know what would make that better...?" "We know, we know!" :ganishka:

Aazealh said:
I am eagerly waiting for him to give Locus a piece of his mind. I can already feel the "Moonlight Knight's" outrage across all those years in the future.

Agreed, and I think there's a 100% chance the term "scrap metal" will be involved. :guts:

Top Bottom