Episode 341

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Miura's comment for this issue: "I encountered Kotori Yoshio in a coffee shop."

the immortal bob said:
I feel like if Griffith was a human born corporeally on earth who became a god hand and therefore a spirtual being and then reborn into the coporeal realm. Then if the moonlight boy is somehow the other end of that spectrum, is he a true spirtual being who is getting his first shot at the corporeal human life.

It makes me think that when the beherit apostle ate Guts and Casca's child after it gave so much energy fighting during the second eclipse after telling him he was like him and that he never got to live in this world, that somehow the child has made his way into life.. Through unexplained means.

You don't seem to take into account the fact Femto was incarnated into the corporeal world by taking over the boy's corporeal body. The boy was not a purely spiritual being; he had a body of flesh. The evil that had tainted him in the womb just gave him unique powers and placed him firmly in the Interstice.

the immortal bob said:
On an unrelated note, I'm interested for something to happen with Serpico soon, and to see developments Isidro. I feel he took a big center stage in the mermaid arc, but Serpico has took a more relaxed role which makes sense given that Farnese seems at her most stable in taking care of Casca.

Yes, Serpico has been somewhat aimless for a while, long before that in fact. His relevance has diminished as Farnese grew stronger and more independent. I'm sure he'll find his own way eventually though, and Elfhelm seems like the perfect place for that.

On a side note, there is no "mermaid arc". To see all episodes, chapters and arcs of the series, you can consult this handy list: http://skullknight.net/manga/.

Doc said:
Been having a debate with someone recently about the Moonlight Boy. He's convinced that the boy is the Elf King or an emissary thereof. The crux of his argument rests on taking Schierke's word as gospel, and how the boy only turned up once Guts & friends started for Elfhelm. He doesn't seem to answer WHY the Elf King or one of his messengers would take the form of a mute little boy with Guts & Casca's characteristics or why it only appears during a full moon. Furthermore, what would be the point of this from a plot standpoint?

Don't hesitate to direct that person to this thread, most of which has me lengthily arguing against that idea. :SK:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Vixen Comics said:
I really hope not. Griffith made his choices and did the unthinkable, I don't think he should get some kind of redemption even if the boy manages to make him feel regret for what he did (if that were even possible) or for Guts, Casca and company to even toy with the idea of him being redeemed.

But what a compelling idea, or question, it is, which only makes the story more interesting. Also, redemption is relative here, Griffith doesn't need to return to the good side of the force (though Miura is a Star Wars fan =) and be acknowledged as a "good guy" again or anything. As you point out, his character is in such disrepute with the audience that simply expressing regret would be a reclamation (and not an objectively insignificant action considering who/what he is). It probably wouldn't be a bad thing for Guts and Casca either, especially if, on his way to Hell, Griffith can somehow see to it that their child is spared (the Disney ending =). Anyway, as for him simply being irredeemable for his actions, the same could be said about the Count, Rochine, or Ganishka, and though they paid the ultimate price they didn't meet altogether ignanamous, or at least unsympathetic, ends. Whatever Miura ultimately does with Griffith, I imagine it will be layered whether he finds some measure of atonement or if we've only seen the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the evil he's capable of.

Aazealh said:
Miura's comment for this issue: "I encountered Kotori Yoshio in a coffee shop."

You don't seem to take into account the fact Femto was incarnated into the corporeal world by taking over the boy's corporeal body. The boy was not a purely spiritual being; he had a body of flesh. The evil that had tainted him in the womb just gave him unique powers and placed him firmly in the Interstice.

Yes, Serpico has been somewhat aimless for a while, long before that in fact. His relevance has diminished as Farnese grew stronger and more independent. I'm sure he'll find his own way eventually though, and Elfhelm seems like the perfect place for that.

On a side note, there is no "mermaid arc". To see all episodes, chapters and arcs of the series, you can consult this handy list: http://skullknight.net/manga/.

Don't hesitate to direct that person to this thread, most of which has me lengthily arguing against that idea. :SK:

Excuse me, i meant to say i think the boy is Guts and casca's child but my understanding of that baby is he was spirtually transfigured or maimed before birth. And never got a chance at life(incoming graphic description) and I'm not even clear if casca has him as a still birth or if the panel in which it appears to be that it isn't his fetus persay but he's already been turned into his ethreal ghost like existence. I do seem to recall him passing on in a sense before he reappears in his more memorable(i guess really for me) form that he would protect Guts in.

I suppose it's true he must have had flesh if he was eaten but i'm not sure what the beherit apostle could "eat" so to speak.

Point being though he is born again into human flesh, through that whole second eclipse and he would be in some sentiment the opposite story of griffith.

Or the other half to the whole.

Griffith was a man, who died to become a god(well god hand), and that being was born again in this world.

The boy(moonlight boy) was more of a spirtual being made into flesh. In the sense that the existence he came from was one that was on that plane. Rather than going from this world/to the spirtualto this world again, he came from the spirtual to this world to lead the life he never had the chance to live.

Even if he was technically corporeal(or of the flesh?) before this rebirth(if it is him) he seems like he represents the reverse or opposite of the way the rest of the way things have gone with everything else concerning "fate"

If you've ever read/seen dragonball/z you'll know of the story of kami and how he split himself into two halves from his whole, in order to become pure good, or the mystics and the skeksi's in dark crystal. It seems like a part of the birth that was designed to bring fempto into the corporeal world created the opposite effect for griffith's(i guess a dark kami) and left an innocent half floating around.

he seems like the one force suggesting hope of postive recovery, in the spirtual. Of course it could all turn out bad, and schierke seems to understand a whole world of postive spirtuality, and we haven't been to elf island which seems to hold the possibility for some healing for casca.

Also apologies on refering to it as "the mermaid arc" i wanted to refer to the parts of them fighting the sea god, that focuses on Isidro meeting the girl( can't for the life of me remember her name right now apologies) who ends up becoming a mermaid(not sure if i'm remembering correctly that they even call them mermaids.) To me he really took a center stage there. I feel serpico has a lot to give, with the brilliance of the silat/rakshas fight it has me looking to see more of what can be done with him and what he can do in fights based off those magnificent fight scenes with Guts.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
the immortal bob said:
Excuse me, i meant to say i think the boy is Guts and casca's child but my understanding of that baby is he was spirtually transfigured or maimed before birth. And never got a chance at life(incoming graphic description) and I'm not even clear if casca has him as a still birth or if the panel in which it appears to be that it isn't his fetus persay but he's already been turned into his ethreal ghost like existence.

Guts and Casca made love, and she became pregnant. When Femto raped her, his evil power tainted the embryo. That caused an extra-early birth, but we can clearly see in the manga that the boy is alive at all times. However, what I was pointing out is that the boy does have a corporeal body. He has magic powers and exists within the Interstice, and his nature makes him unable to appear in broad daylight, but he has a corporeal body nonetheless.

the immortal bob said:
Griffith was a man, who died to become a god(well god hand), and that being was born again in this world. The boy(moonlight boy) was more of a spirtual being made into flesh.

No, that is completely wrong. Femto is a spiritual being. When Griffith became Femto during the Eclipse, he lost his corporeal body. During the incarnation, what happened is that Femto "took flesh" (that is the literal meaning of "incarnate"). Femto obtained a new corporeal body, and that's the new Griffith. Now, the corporeal body he obtained did not appear out of thin air. It is that of the boy, whom the Beherit Apostle took within himself. Within that very special egg, the boy's body underwent a transformation and became Griffith's body.

So the boy always had a corporeal body, always had flesh (the Beherit Apostle actually comments on it before swallowing him). What happened is that Femto took over that body. Now since then the boy has started appearing as the "Moonlight Boy", with a new form and new powers. We don't know yet how he manifests himself like that, but what's sure is it can't be said that Femto's incarnation gave him flesh, since it's literally the opposite of what occurred.

In case the process still isn't clear for you with that explanation, I've compiled the relevant panels from the manga in a sequential order.

the immortal bob said:
If you've ever read/seen dragonball/z you'll know of the story of kami and how he split himself into two halves from his whole, in order to become pure good, or the mystics and the skeksi's in dark crystal. It seems like a part of the birth that was designed to bring fempto into the corporeal world created the opposite effect for griffith's(i guess a dark kami) and left an innocent half floating around.

No, no such thing occurred. No innocent half was created when Femto was incarnated. Honestly I'm not sure what the logic would even be for it to work. In any case, it's not what happened!

the immortal bob said:
Also apologies on refering to it as "the mermaid arc" i wanted to refer to the parts of them fighting the sea god, that focuses on Isidro meeting the girl( can't for the life of me remember her name right now apologies) who ends up becoming a mermaid(not sure if i'm remembering correctly that they even call them mermaids.)

The girl is called Isma and she and her species are called Merrows. It's no problem, I knew what you meant, I just wanted to point you towards the proper names for each segment of the story.

Yozuru

"I say when it ends!" - Lucina
Aazealh said:
So the boy always had a corporeal body, always had flesh (the Beherit Apostle actually comments on it before swallowing him). What happened is that Femto took over that body. Now since then the boy has started appearing as the "Moonlight Boy", with a new form and new powers. We don't know yet how he manifests himself like that, but what's sure is it can't be said that Femto's incarnation gave him flesh, since it's literally the opposite of what occurred.

Hello Aazealh! I always love you interpretations, it is always so clear and concise. You bring up really good points about how he is the boy could possibly be the demon child. I also think there is a possibility that he could be King Hanafubuku, since I remember Schierke suspected that it might be an emissary or King Hanafubuku himself. This is really interesting if that was the case because it brings into mind what is the purpose of him being there.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yozuru said:
Hello Aazealh! I always love you interpretations, it is always so clear and concise.

Thank you Yozuru, I'm glad you enjoy my posts.

Yozuru said:
You bring up really good points about how he is the boy could possibly be the demon child. I also think there is a possibility that he could be King Hanafubuku, since I remember Schierke suspected that it might be an emissary or King Hanafubuku himself. This is really interesting if that was the case because it brings into mind what is the purpose of him being there.

I believe if you read this entire thread, and in particular my exchange with Griffith, you will find out that there really is no doubt about who the boy is (i.e. Guts and Casca's son).

Also, for info, "Hanafubuku" is not a name but a Japanese sentence that for some unexplainable reason Dark Horse decided not to translate. The proper translation for it is "King of the Flower Storm". So I recommend you use that to refer to him, since "Hanafubuku" is completely meaningless in English.

Yozuru

Aazealh said:
I believe if you read this entire thread, and in particular my exchange with Griffith, you will find out that there really is no doubt about who the boy is (i.e. Guts and Casca's son).

Also, for info, "Hanafubuku" is not a name but a Japanese sentence that for some unexplainable reason Dark Horse decided not to translate. The proper translation for it is "King of the Flower Storm". So I recommend you use that to refer to him, since "Hanafubuku" is completely meaningless in English.

First and foremost, my apologies for not reading the previous posts. I will not make the same mistake again, so thank you for clearing up the misunderstanding. :casca:

Ahh I see! I have been using the public Berserk wiki, so thank you for giving me the translation for it. I definitely prefer "King of the Flower Storm" over "Hanafubuku". :guts:

This definitely makes him a much more interesting character! I am looking forward to seeing him appear again.

Yozuru said:
Ahh I see! I have been using the public Berserk wiki, so thank you for giving me the translation for it. I definitely prefer "King of the Flower Storm" over "Hanafubuku". :guts:

Just a friendly warning: The Berserk Wiki is woefully out of date and full of outdated speculation, much of which has been since debunked. It's an okay resource but I'd put my money on SK.net any day over that. There's a strict empirical 'no nonsense' approach here that filters out a lot of the garbage you'll see elsewhere.

Yozuru

ApostleBob said:
Just a friendly warning: The Berserk Wiki is woefully out of date and full of outdated speculation, much of which has been since debunked. It's an okay resource but I'd put my money on SK.net any day over that. There's a strict empirical 'no nonsense' approach here that filters out a lot of the garbage you'll see elsewhere.

That is one of the reasons why I joined here, to have awesome in-depth discussions with you guys about these topics. I enjoy seeing you guys peeling it layer by layer and examining and connecting all the pieces together. :guts:

I am not very good at articulating things in writing myself, but it is a pleasure to just read the discussions.

Yozuru said:
I am not very good at articulating things in writing myself, but it is a pleasure to just read the discussions.

You seem to be doing fine so far. The golden rules I live by:

1) If you're speculating or not sure, make that clear
2) Search around the site before asking a question that may be asked frequently out of consideration
3) Be prepared to back up theories with evidence
4) Don't take things too personally if a speculation is debunked. Discuss, but don't attack

Yozuru

ApostleBob said:
You seem to be doing fine so far. The golden rules I live by:

1) If you're speculating or not sure, make that clear
2) Search around the site before asking a question that may be asked frequently out of consideration
3) Be prepared to back up theories with evidence
4) Don't take things too personally if a speculation is debunked. Discuss, but don't attack

Hello Bob! I will take those rules to heart and make quality posts. Thank you for taking the time to personally help me and I'll look forward to your post in the discussions.

http://www.younganimal.com/magazine/next.html

I found this advertisement for the 11/27 Young Animal issue. Does this indicate that Episode 342 is going to be 24 pages? IIRC all the "Volume 38" episodes have ranged from 19-21 pages (when one counts double page spreads as two pages) in length usually, except for Episode 336 which was also 24 pages total.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Theozilla said:
http://www.younganimal.com/magazine/next.html

I found this advertisement for the 11/27 Young Animal issue. Does this indicate that Episode 342 is going to be 24 pages?

Nope.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Theozilla said:
Is it for some other Young Animal series?

Either that or some photoshoot. That little panel doesn't mention Berserk. Instead, Berserk gets a single line, just to the left of that panel. Basically saying, look for it next time.

Top Bottom