New Berserk Anime for 2016

Jerkins

There isn't enough space for me to write what I wa
thedigitalsin said:
Trailer here - recording from a phone

Seem to be mimicking Studio 4C, where it's a mixture of CGI models for some shots, and hand drawn for others?

R9hMEBa.png

Guys, I think it's time we remember that famous line
knhFMu4.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
foolpuck said:
Official HD version of the teaser :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIA9xg2oIew

Strange choice of visuals, what with the alternate use of pure 3D and 3D with 2D. Like thedigitalsin said it's similar to Studio 4°C's style... Anyway, with that quality I can't imagine this will be another film.

Also, that's inspired by a scene from the Black Swordsman arc. So are they animating it or is it just for the teaser? He's still wearing the wrong armor... Still, at least the scene is cool.

Aazealh said:
Also, that's inspired by a scene from the Black Swordsman arc. So are they animating it or is it just for the teaser? He's still wearing the wrong armor... Still, at least the scene is cool.

Yes it seems to be the Black Swordsman arc, I hope that if they are showing this they will animate it but that wouldn't surprise me if they don't... As you said he's still wearing the wrong armor and in addition he's using the Dragonslayer so we're probably not going to see Godo...

Maybe the scene is cool but in my opinion the animation doesn't look fluid at all so I have trouble enjoying it...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
foolpuck said:
As you said he's still wearing the wrong armor and in addition he's using the Dragonslayer so we're probably not going to see Godo...

I don't think we can infer anything regarding Godot from this short teaser.

foolpuck said:
Maybe the scene is cool but in my opinion the animation doesn't look fluid at all so I have trouble enjoying it...

Yeah, it's most jarring when he walks towards the screen, his body's just so stiff.

Aazealh said:
I don't think we can infer anything regarding Godot from this short teaser.

Ahah sorry I just realized my mistake and why I said that... I got a little confused with the chronological order so forget it, I'm ashamed. :magni:
But the fact that he's wearing the wrong armor remains a bad omen.

Aazealh said:
Yeah, it's most jarring when he walks towards the screen, his body's just so stiff.

Yes, this scene is the one that bothered me the most too.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Humm, not sure what I've just seen, not sure if I like it at all. I was some what okay with what Studio 4c did at some point but that? I Guess 'll wait to see more before judging since it's a quick teaser but I don't know.

The music bugged me a bit and that animation...

Visuals: Guts' walking looks jarred like hell. Well, at least the face looks (I think) less ugly than it did throughout the 4C trilogy..

Audio: While I don't like the heavy metal, I kinda like the first half of the music/audio and the way it cuts off in the end. Sounds very industrial-like. In any case, if whoever was charge of the music for the teaser is in charge of the music for the anime, then it'll apparently take a complete new direction, unlike Susumu Hirasawa and Shiro Sagisu's stuff.

Having seen the trailer I am still on the fence about this, I want to like this but I feel some elements of it may be a huge let down for several reasons. Any idea who is doing the animation for this season this time around because it has a sharper quality compared to how Studio 4C watered down a little bit with the original trilogy.

- weird looking crow
- like the pool of blood /bones.
- absolutely horrible walking animation.
- surprisingly, the zoom-in of the promo picture was not terrible. (not good, but not atrocious)
- the "wrap around" camera motion was cool.
- skeleton attack: meh.
- finally, something hand-drawn. (Guts face)
- really like the camera following the Dragonslayer.
- For the first time, I feel some weight behind each swing.
- Personally, the music feels fitting. (although, I would not want it permeating throughout the show)

Overall, this probably does not bode well. CGI/10

Well that certainly didn't look as terrible as I tought it would (walking shot had me cringing though, heres hoping it was just a last minute thing for the teaser)

Music kinda ruined it a little bit for me though, makes it seem a bit too cheesy and over-the-top, gonna watch it on mute or something else in the background later on and see how that stacks up...

The crazy thing about it though, at this point, I really don't care about these flaws as long as they adapt the story faithfully. And as you might imagine, I'll remain cautious about getting my hopes up about that... The armor thing really fuckin bothers me :sad:

Oh and I know this doesn't make sense but I actually want his face to look more like it does in the first three volumes. The way it looks in the teaser it's just too clean and too... "normal" or w/e. He should look a lot more wornout, hell, at the very least, is a bit of bags under the eyes really so hard to animate?

My expectations were so low that i wasn't really disappointed by this. I didn't expect any better from them. Some stuff looked cool though. When it comes to CG i actually would have even prefered the CG from the pachinko games which looked pretty awsome to me.

And it also seems as if the format indeed will change, the teaser is somewhat all over the place showing scenes from the black swordsman arc and also the aftermath of the eclipse from the Lost Children chapter, so they probably will just continue chronologically from the place they left of in the last movie. I guess thats from where the clunky scene of guts walking towards the screen comes :schierke:

Natt_Himmel

"Just a guy who reads Berserk for fun."
Well, I didn't have high expectations so I am generally pleased with the Teaser, But damn that Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Dragonslayer Tho. :magni:

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
There's one second in the video, around the 0:33 mark, where you see Guts' face in a hand drawn style. It looks good, and for one fleeting moment, my soul feels alive... Aaaaaaand it's gone.

I don't know, guys. I understand the argument that reusable CG models make production much cheaper, but with how gorgeous modern anime is becoming, I feel like this shit is inexcusable. I would rather watch the original 90's anime series than another CG Berserk.

I feel like the art direction is a slight step up from the previous three movies and other then Guts looking very robotic in the walking scene, the rest seem animated more smoothly. I also don't mind the heavy metal music, it's nothing as unique as Hirasawa's work but I found it more fitting then most of the stock musical notes we got from Golden Age films. I still have my doubts, but I'm more curious right now for the nature of this and if it will be an OVA or another theater release.

Also like you've mentioned Walter, even with the teaser trailer we still have not been shown anything related to Puck. Maybe I'm just jumping the gun, but would they really cut him out of this? I don't want to put it past them, but they did show him when Studio 4C was working on it. :puck:

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Wellp. Looks like the 2004 PS2 game will continue to be my favorite Berserk animation for a while yet.

It reminds me of the first episode of the Hellsing Ultimate OVA where you'd get scenes where everything was just animated all to fuck to the point where you'd lose the thread of what was actually supposed to be going on.

The wobbly DS, though, is a completely normal animation technique like your old fashioned squash and stretch. It's done so that a quick one two or three frame glimpse doesn't just strobe. It's basically an alternative to a motion blur.

The surfacing look they've gone for is baffling. It looks like something from a Playstation pre-rendered cutscene.

I know im in a vary small group of anime fan here but the CGI really never bothered me. A lot of the times it can help portay scenes that a really great and large scale and also help to project action scenes to a faster high impact level as well. I really changed my mind when i was watching a show know as knight of sidonia and at first is was jarring but in comparison to the manga and the setting the CGI really hope to improve and portray soft environment and Empty space.

I hope this anime really works out in the long run. I love the golden age i really do but can we please get other stories from the manga.... Please. :sad:

Top Bottom