How old do you think the characters in Berserk are?

I tried looking for a topic on this in the search bar but I couldn't find anything on age of characters. This may not seem important but it is to me since I can't stop thinking about it ever since it first came to mind. Also I really don't have any real basis for these thoughts, these are all just guesses I am making for the most part just on how the characters are drawn. It's come to my attention that most of the characters I love, damn near 100% of them I have no idea how old they are. The only character I know the age of is Guts, the rest I can only make a guess on. It's been a long while since I read a Berserk chapter so I started rereading it this week and I'm catching a lot of things I missed before. So anyways about the ages....

I'm going to start off with the original main hawk members. We know Guts at this point is between 21-23 years old thanks to the flashbacks. Casca I'm not really too sure about her, she was a kid when Griffith found her and by then Griffith was already an established leader of his own band. I'd say she was anywhere between 10-12 when that noble attempted to assault her. Rickert is probably around 13 or 14 years old. Throughout the entire Golden Age which was a 4 year period he remained almost exactly the same, it wasn't until we saw him again a year later when he looked noticeably different. Judeau I think may have been around Griffith's age, but then again I have no idea how old Griffth is either. If I had to make a guess, I'd say Griffith, Judeau, Corkus, Pippin are all in their mid-late twenties. All of them seemed like they've been around the block more than a few times.

Now let's move on to the new main party, I'm gonna start off with Serpico and Farnese. I'm pretty sure those two are the same age, during the flashback I never felt like one was older than the other. They seem almost like twin siblings to me. Isidro is obviously a kid but we don't know how close he is to hitting puberty, he has very good muscle definition for his age and he's very athletic so I think he may be 12 or even 13. Schrieke is probably the same age as Isidro, however she is far more mature than he is so she comes across as an older sister compared to him.

I think I covered just about everyone. So what do you guys think, do we share the same thoughts or do yours differ?

Berserk chapter
They are called episodes

Let's look at this: http://www.skullknight.net/encyclopedia/world/timeline/timeline.html

Guts would be 21-22 years old if we look at the timeline

I would guess that Griffith would be 24-25 - when he formed the Falcon he would be like around 12 years old; when he enlist Casca he looks like 15-16

Rickert would be like 12-13 (at the beginning of the Golden Age Arc)
Judeau would be like 17 (at the beginning of the Golden Age Arc)
Pippin 28-29 (at the end of the Golden Age Arc)
Corkus around 28 (at the beginning of the Golden Age Arc)

Isidro would be 8-9 and Schierke would be like 10 years old

It's like you said, it's guess and there is no evidence that I'm right. My thoughts are based on how the characters are drawn and based on the timeline a little bit

This is a topic that has been covered many times before, so a search will get you some in depth answers. You're already on the right path. Most everyone is about as old as they look, and only Guts is the only one we can reliably say is around 21-23. Worth mentioning is Flora, who has lived unnaturally long (probably hundreds of years), Skull Knight (At least a millenia) and Zodd (at least 300 years). The God Hand are all at least an increment of 216 years old, plus however old they were when they made their sacrifice.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Diwo said:
@ApostleBob Was it said that she was 16?

It is, when she talks to the queen a little bit after Griffith left for his last campaign. You know, just right after Charlotte mistake Casca for a man and ask her to protect Griffith during the battle.

jackson_hurley said:
It is, when she talks to the queen a little bit after Griffith left for his last campaign. You know, just right after Charlotte mistake Casca for a man and ask her to protect Griffith during the battle.

Precisely, it is specifically said at that point. Now maybe their campaign took several months and she turned 17 before Griffith took advantage of her, but that's not actually said. You could make an argument for it though. Traveling in this period would take some amount of time for large armies, maybe weeks, and we have at least three large scale battles between the Hawks and the Blue Whales, the White Tigers at Doldrey, and the Hawks at Doldrey, with all sorts of war counsels happening around here. At least 1-3 months. They get back and have the parade, ball and assassination, and we time skip to winter for Guts leaving. By the time Griffith barges into her room, the snow is melting, so possibly another time skip. Probably 3 - 8 months between her giving him the lode stone and showing up outside her window.

So I think it's safe to say that she's 16-17 when Griffith seduces her.

It's also worth mentioning that at this time it wouldn't be uncommon for girls to be married off at age 12, which explains why Griffith later comments that he had wondered why the King never married her her off earlier for a political marriage.

Aulë

Studying Electrical engineering.
We may find out more about Puck's age in the upcoming episodes too. :D And generally elf's lifespawn

Late Golden Age Guts, Griffith and Casca seemed anywhere from 17-19 years of age, Casca appearing to be the youngest, IMO.

Rickert honestly looks like a 15-/16-year-old nowadays.

Here's my thougts about Casca's age, specifically:

Casca's age has not been specifically established in cannon, but I think the signs point to her being just about the same age as Guts, probably even a year older for good measure. She specifically said that she was twelve years old when Griffith took her in, and we can calculate based on the narration that Guts was 15 when he first met her and Griffith. From my point of view, it's unlikely that she was any younger than 15 when she met Guts for several reasons.

For her to have been 14 or younger, we would have to believe that she went from looking like she did in her childhood flashback--a scrawny girl barely showing the signs of puberty--to how she did when she met Guts, a sexually mature, athletic, and steely young woman; to have gone from a zero-experience peasant girl whose only response to danger was to hide, to the second-best sword fighter, rider, and unit commander in a mercenary band consisting of at least several hundred and probably over a thousand men; and to have experienced numerous battles and hardships at Griffith's side, enough to make her feel like she knew him and his personality better than anyone else (even compared to Judeau, Pippin, and Corkus who were already members before she joined!) all in the space of just one or two years.

Guts already had nine years of experience in combat and managed to defeat an opponent like Bazuso who made even hardened mercenaries tremble in their boots; realistically if Casca had only one year of growth and training when she faced him, he would have splattered her in an instant, and if she had done as well as she actually did with only one or two years of preparation, she would qualify as an unbelievable Mary Sue. Consider some other things too; does she really look or act like she's younger than Princess Charlotte, who according to the King was seventeen years old when Griffith deflowered her?

To make sense of everything, it is only reasonable to suppose that she had three or four years of service in the Band of the Hawk when they all first met, which still qualifies her as a genius-level talent but doesn't totally break your willing suspension of disbelief. In fact, it is not unreasonable to assume that Griffith found her around the same time that Guts killed Gambino and ran away at the age of eleven; if those events more or less lined, up, then she would be 12 when he was 11, 16 when he was 15, 19 when he was 18, and so on.

By my reckoning she is about 19 in the Bonfire of Dreams scene, 20 at the time of the Eclipse, and accounting for all the timeskips she could be 23-24 as of the Chapter of Elf Island.

Top Bottom