Amazing manga you've read?

Other than phenomenal Berserk, are there any other manga you hold in very high regards and would recommend a read?

One of my favourites is Akira, what a masterpiece for me. Stunning artwork/world building... thought-provoking and ahead of its time in terms of story and scope. The characters are great, humorous, bad-ass, interesting - not quite as deep character dialogue as we got with Berserk if I am to make a comparison, but still thoroughly well done.

Anyone else? Seems to me that good and mature manga ceases to exist today.

Hensmon said:
Other than phenomenal Berserk, are there any other manga you hold in very high regards and would recommend a read?

Hunter x Hunter and One Piece. Those two series mean a lot to me, and I'd recommend them to anybody.

Berserk, One Piece, Vagabond, Akira, Hokuto No Ken, Jojo, REAL, Slam Dunk and a few older manga I enjoy and like going back to for various reasons. Outside of (the really awesome) Gigantomakhia, I don't really know of or have knowledge of newer manga titles.

There's been a decent amount of chat over manga in the past, some topics for your reading -

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=9911.0
http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=13711.0
http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=14436.0

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
My Manga Top 10 is:
- Berserk
- Honey and Clover
- Hi no Tori
- REAL
- Devilman
- Five Star Stories
- The Violinist of Hammelin
- Blade of the Immortal
- Chrno Crusade
- Ushio and Tora.

[Random order]

vagabond, slam dunk, real, anything by naoki urasawa, mushishi, zetman, gunnm, vinland saga, kokou no hito, jojo's bizzare adventure (steel ball run), blade of the immortal, battle royale, me and the devil blues, space brothers, dorohedoro, rainbow, cobra, hokuto no ken, souten no ken, devil man. rurouni kenshin, full metal alchemist ghost in the shell stand alone complex anime season 1 and 2, legend of the galactic heroes anime series (is now licensed and the novels are also being released by viz and in 2017 its getting a new adaptation from production ig. all these are great series that you should check out!

Oburi

All praise Grail
It's been a while since I've read it but I remember Battle Royale being a great read. And of course I wouldn't be doing my job around here if I didn't mention Eden:It's an Endless World. Great sci-fi manga.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Ushio and Tora!?! Man I remember the anime for that from waaaay back. I had a couple on VHS! Care to tell me a little about the manga? How'd it get in your Top Ever list?

As for mine, well, it's silly but the only manga I actually own all of, besides Berserk, is Dragon Half. It's like one long cute Zelda pun and pretty steeped in the style and tone of the late 80's (I think it started in like 1988). I've always wished someone would licence the damn thing for an English release, but, I guess being so pun-and-joke heavy and so out-of-style-stylized nobody has really wanted to try.

And I really liked the first Battle Angel Alita/Gunnm manga but I've tried to pick up Last Order and Other Stories a few times and not really been able to get into it. It didn't help that I liked Ido as much as Alita and so when the focus shifted to just being about Alita and Nova all the time I started to lose interest anyway. Last Order looked cool but just didn't hold much appeal for me. Still, the first chunk of the first manga of Gunnm, up till the Ido Disappoint, is one of my all time favorites.

Akebobo

my god... it's full of pants
Gotta second the original Devilman if you can get your hands on it. Also anything by Junji Ito if you want to get freaked out.

I would recommend in no particular order:
Vinland saga – nice historical manga about Vikings. Lots of action in the first half but later in deals with other issues like slavery, meaning of courage, forgiveness and so on. Art improves greatly over the course of the story and it is now comparable to Berserk.
Next is Blade of the Immortal – good samurai action with a bit of the supernatural.
Monster – detective story
Dorohedoro – a crazy supernatural manga
Blame, Noise – two sci-fi manga with a unique style
The Heroic Legend of Arslan – historical manga with a bit of supernatural. New manga from the author of Full Metal Alchemist
Song of the Long March – historical, set in Tang dynasty China. This is not a manga, I think the author is Chinese but both the art and the story are exceptional.
This all I can think of at the moment.

DasBouf

I'm Noah. I love my waifu and my friends
Though nothing holds a candle to Berserk imo I'm enjoying Claymore, and Black Lagoon is great. I've just started reading JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, I'm on Part 1 and it's pretty enjoyable so far.

Just as Berserk is a seinen manga that is so far above most other seinen works, I'd recommend Hunter x Hunter and One Piece for being the same for the shonen genre. Just don't touch the One Piece anime if you want to fully appreciate the manga's stylized art and fast pace. Just as the Berserk adaptations have a big issue with cutting out important parts of the source material, the One Piece anime has a ton of lazy animation and a disgusting amount of filler. Plus, 800 chapters don't take as long to read as 760-something episodes do to watch.

The flowers of evil is my favorite manga. It seemed pretty unique to me when I first started reading. Prior to it I had only read shoujos and popular shonens. The characters are great, I'm in love with Nakamura.

Arya said:
The flowers of evil is my favorite manga. It seemed pretty unique to me when I first started reading. Prior to it I had only read shoujos and popular shonens. The characters are great, I'm in love with Nakamura.

For teenage melodrama, which is something I mostly avoid, I really enjoyed the rotoscoped anime adaptation of that manga back when it came out. Great soundtrack, too.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Vinland Saga. Hands down one of the best mangas to read if you're looking for something close to the Berserk series. Vikings have always interested me and as a Viking themed manga, it can be intense, full of blood and drama.

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
Is Vinland purely historical or does it have fantasy elements?

Also, not a manga, but a light novel i've been reading lately called Overlord. Pretty sweet.

If you want another manga in the same vein as Berserk (though set in modern times) try Wolf Guy Ookami No Monshou. I enjoyed the art style quite a bit.

It hits on something deeper the same way Berserk does, questioning what it means to be human and what not. The protagonist is a bit similar to Guts even..

I've read some pretty terrible reviews about it after finishing it (I know I did that backwards), but I wanted to know what other people thought about it. However, don't let that stop you, best to decide for yourself.

I really enjoyed Psyren, i'm surprised it hasn't gotten an adaptation. I also like Ubel Blatt, similar dark fantasy. And then Gintama is great. Even though theres so much anime of it the manga is good too.

Johnstantine said:
While I like Berserk, One Piece is my all time favorite. I recommend it to anyone.
I will second this simply because a certain dub left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I forever associate One Piece with that dub(and know others do the same)
Manga is nothing like "localized" anime, highly recommend.
Also, recommending Welcome to the NHK, Tsumi to Batsu: A Falsified Romance (a retelling of Crime and Punishment), and Oyasumi Punpun
BLAME! has a very similar tone to Berserk, also highly recommended.

DANGERDOOOOM

Feeblecursedone said:
Is Vinland purely historical or does it have fantasy elements?

Very late reply lol

It is a historical manga with no real fantasy elements. But man oh man, the character's backgrounds are written so well and keep you hooked. The artistic style is very detailed and less cartoony looking. It's one of my all time favorites.

Monster by Urasawa Naoki is also a very good if ones like thrillers, although there isn't a single supernatural element.

Song of the long march was also mentioned before and I agree, it's really good.

DANGERDOOOOM

favole said:
Monster by Urasawa Naoki is also a very good if ones like thrillers, although there isn't a single supernatural element.
I watched the season one anime adaption of Monster and enjoyed it a lot. Was it true to the manga or drastically different?

Top Bottom