Volume 38 Release

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Re: New cover design + volume 38 cover

Aazealh said:
Another thing is the publisher is now Young Animal Comics. I guess it makes sense to have renamed it from Jets Comics after all these years, but I'll miss that little dino. :judo:

Noticed that too and thought it was interesting. It makes sense to unify their publications.

i like it :guts:. im guessing that berserk logo is gonna change colors like the old style japanese version did. i wanna see how the older volumes look in this new border

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Ken said:
i wanna see how the older volumes look in this new border

eclipsenew.jpg

I don't think I feel a problem with the new cover design, with its borders and all. But the volume 38 cover illustration itself is absolute garbage. This shot of Guts gripping his DS while staring menacingly at the viewer? I mean, wow, who'd have thought? This illustration concept has already been done numerous times, and has become repetitive and boring. But even worse, for this particular volume, placing Guts on the cover is also downright misleading. Rickert is the real star here, not Guts. Guts hardly even appears in the volume 38 episodes, if at all. After all these years of waiting, we also finally see Rakshas' true face and full extent of his power is revealed. Plus, Silat and Bakiraka join in on the action. Volume 38 is supposed to mark Rickert's shining moment. Here, he at last rises to the occasion and makes the transition from being a mere supporting character into a full-fledged warrior. Those aforementioned characters are the ones who should have made the cover of volume 38. Not Guts. And yet, thanks to Hakusensha's snafu, Guts is hogging up the spotlight yet again. I can't help but think, was the re-branding of Jets Comics into Young Animal Comics accompanied by a "regime change" of sorts over at the Young Animal/Hakusensha? If the magazine's old guard staff has been replaced by new faces, is it possible they changed the art directors (or whoever is in charge of creating cover art concepts) as well? This isn't the first time a Miura-penned manga had suffered in terms of cover art quality. Just few years ago, Gigantomakhia tankobon was released also sporting a terrible looking cover illustration. Something's gotta be behind this continuing pattern of unimaginative and mediocre cover art.

Walter said:

Oh, my... :magni:

Okay, I take it back. Screw the new design
gutsbarf.gif

Grail

Feel the funk blast

Walter said:
http://www.skullknight.net/images/eclipsenew.jpg

I think this picture says more than all of the criticism for the cover so far... in other words: blech!

Now I'm wondering about this, though. Is Miura's cover art going to have to be specifically designed to fit this new layout? Are they all going to have to be symmetrical? Makes you wonder what's going on behind the scenes with this decision.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Johnny Apples said:
I don't think I feel a problem with the new cover design, with its borders and all. But the volume 38 cover illustration itself is absolute garbage.

Really? The cover design is A-OK but the cover itself is "absolute garbage"? :schierke: I think you need to get your priorities in check.

Johnny Apples said:
This shot of Guts gripping his DS while staring menacingly at the viewer? I mean, wow, who'd have thought? This illustration concept has already been done numerous times, and has become repetitive and boring. [...] I can't help but think, was the re-branding of Jets Comics into Young Animal Comics accompanied by a "regime change" of sorts over at the Young Animal/Hakusensha? If the magazine's old guard staff has been replaced by new faces, is it possible they changed the art directors (or whoever is in charge of creating cover art concepts) as well? This isn't the first time a Miura-penned manga had suffered in terms of cover art quality. Just few years ago, Gigantomakhia tankobon was released also sporting a terrible looking cover illustration. Something's gotta be behind this continuing pattern of unimaginative and mediocre cover art.

I get that you're frustrated, but if anything hasn't changed with volume 38 it's the policy regarding cover art. It's been the same since the series started, so I don't see the need for a conspiracy theory about some evil new staff here. And let me remind you as well that the one drawing the covers is Miura himself, so if you truly think the art is "mediocre and unimaginative", you should address that criticism at him and only him.

Grail said:
Now I'm wondering about this, though. Is Miura's cover art going to have to be specifically designed to fit this new layout? Are they all going to have to be symmetrical? Makes you wonder what's going on behind the scenes with this decision.

Yeah, this is a good question. His art was usually cut for the previous covers, but will they have enough leeway to be able to retrofit all of his illustrations in this new format? I'm curious to see the results... And whether this affects future covers.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

That new cover looks like some tween girl's young adult fantasy novel. They just need to add Schierke pensively making eyes at him. :schierke:

Oburi

All praise Grail

Walter said:
http://www.skullknight.net/images/eclipsenew.jpg

Wow. Just Wow. That is absolute rubbish. Who's coming up with this shit? Who's making these decisions? I'd almost expect this type of cover from Dark Horse. Really blows my mind. It's not like it's a case of just the die-hard fans being overly critical either. The new cover design is pure comical trash and it's insulting to Berserk as a series and the fact that it's going to retroactively damage past covers is like salt on the wound. Miura must not have control over stuff like this because I can't imagine he'd be happy about it.

Yet again Berserk is treated with embarrassing and disrespectful decisions that come from people who you would think haven't even read the series or have very little to no understanding about it. At the end of the day I really just feel bad for Miura. So much of the merchandise and general byproducts of his lifelong work are terrible and misrepresent the series. From this new design, to the last anime trilogy, to "GROOVY".

Sorry, had to rant a bit. :azan:

Aazealh said:
Really? The cover design is A-OK but the cover itself is "absolute garbage"? :schierke: I think you need to get your priorities in check.

I get that you're frustrated, but if anything hasn't changed with volume 38 it's the policy regarding cover art. It's been the same since the series started, so I don't see the need for a conspiracy theory about some evil new staff here.

Ahahah, no, not "evil" :ganishka:

Incompetent and untalented, more like. Either Hakusensha have hired new designers and art directors who aren't as good as the old ones. Or they've gotten rid of their art design department altogether, and outsourced the task of creating new Berserk cover design to some shoddy third-party company. There could be many possible reasons. Whichever the case, we ended up with this rubbish in the end all the same.

Aazealh said:
And let me remind you as well that the one drawing the covers is Miura himself, so if you truly think the art is "mediocre and unimaginative", you should address that criticism at him and only him.

Yes, of course, I know that Miura himself draws the cover illustrations. But I also know that Hakusensha are the ones who make the final decision as to what ends up on the upcoming tankobon cover and what doesn't. From what Walter has told me, Miura most likely provides Hakusensha/Jets Comics several concept cover art options and then Hakusensha chooses the one they want for the cover of upcoming volume. If that is true and this is how the system works (and I trust Walter), then for any cover art fails and disasters, all the blame should fall squarely on Hakusensha's shoulders. Not on Miura's, Since he's commissioned by Hakusensha to make the cover art that they want, rather than being given a choice in the matter.

Oburi said:
Yet again Berserk is treated with embarrassing and disrespectful decisions that come from people who you would think haven't even read the series or have very little to no understanding about it. At the end of the day I really just feel bad for Miura. So much of the merchandise and general byproducts of his lifelong work are terrible and misrepresent the series. From this new design, to the last anime trilogy, to "GROOVY".

I second that, Oburi. I feel the same as you do. The question is, what can we do about it? I know that fans can write their comments and questions to Kentaro Miura via the Young Animal magazine. But does the same option exists with respect to Hakusensha? Can the fans send their feedback/comments to Hakusensha itself directly on what they feel about both the volume 38 illustration and the new cover art design? Perhaps there is a way to make Hakusensha relent before it's too late.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Oburi said:
Wow. Just Wow. That is absolute rubbish. Who's coming up with this shit?

Uhhhh, that was a badly done Photoshop by me, man :ganishka:

Johnny Apples said:
. If that is true and this is how the system works (and I trust Walter),

I believe I prefaced that by saying that no one actually knows the process., and that was just my guess.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Johnny Apples said:
Incompetent and untalented, more like. Either Hakusensha have hired new designers and art directors who aren't as good as the old ones. Or they've gotten rid of their art design department altogether, and outsourced the task of creating new Berserk cover design to some shoddy third-party company. There could be many possible reasons. Whichever the case, we ended up with this rubbish in the end all the same.

So what are we talking about now? The new cover design? Because in this case, sure, it's a miss. However that doesn't necessarily require new people, just a string of bad decisions. But if you're still talking about the cover illustration itself, then I'll repeat that nothing has changed in that regard from how it was 10 years ago.

Johnny Apples said:
Yes, of course, I know that Miura himself draws the cover illustrations. But I also know that Hakusensha are the ones who make the final decision as to what ends up on the upcoming tankobon cover and what doesn't.

No, you don't know that. Nobody does. Whatever input he gets from the publisher is probably limited to "it's better if it's Guts". So I'll say it again: if you're unhappy with the cover illustration, lay it at Miura's feet.

Johnny Apples said:
The question is, what can we do about it? I know that fans can write their comments and questions to Kentaro Miura via the Young Animal magazine. But does the same option exists with respect to Hakusensha? Can the fans send their feedback/comments to Hakusensha itself directly on what they feel about both the volume 38 illustration and the new cover art design?

Haha, I think you're a bit confused here. The contact address for Berserk goes straight to the Young Animal office. Those are the guys you want to give your feedback to, so there's no problem here. Hakusensha is just Young Animal's parent company. You can also contact them easily (even online), but I don't think it'd be more effective.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!

Ugh, upon closer inspection, I'm definitely not feeling it as much..

I don't mind the cover art itself so much. Definitely one of my least favorites. It's not especially interesting at all. But I really don't hate it or anything. What does bother me is how unrepresentative it is of the content (as other people have said). It would have suited the sea god part or something a lot better. There were way more interesting and epic choices for the cover.

The damn border thing is just silly though. It looks better to me now that I've seen a higher resolution, but that doesn't say a hell of a lot. It just seems... tacky.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

The cover image is a fine depiction of Guts, and the covers have never consistently represented the content of the volumes, but unfortunately it just doesn't go very well with this new border and gives it a cheesy YA fantasy vibe (I like the darker thumbnail version better, minus the wings, unfortunately the large image is probably more representative of what it looks like in person). Then again, the cover of volume 13 doesn't look good with the border either, so maybe nothing will.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.s-book.net/plsql/slib_detail?isbn=9784592144380

ISBN info is now available. We're a little over a month away from release.

Preorder available on Amazon Japan. Slightly bigger final picture shows they've added some text at the top of the cover.

Im not sure if this is a real thing, but it seems as if there will be 2 versions of the cover.

CjNl4SQUkAAYaBm.jpg:large

Here the link http://ddnavi.com/news/302203/a/

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mangetsu said:
Im not sure if this is a real thing, but it seems as if there will be 2 versions of the cover.

The one on the right is a revamped cover of volume 1. They had announced it a while back when the cover preview appeared in YA. Wasn't it mentioned in the thread? I thought it was. Maybe I forgot to.
Anyway, I'm not a big fan. I think I actually like the original cover better... The parallelism idea in itself remains cool though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, so we finally see the new Vol 1 cover aaaaaand... well, it's tough to be impressed by that. If he wanted to a parallel cover, exemplifying the changes in Guts between then and now, I feel that Miura's a talented artist and could have done something more ambitious than this.

Also, does that really say Berselk?

Aazealh said:
The one on the right is a revamped cover of volume 1. They had announced it a while back when the cover preview appeared in YA. Wasn't it mentioned in the thread? I thought it was. Maybe I forgot to.
Anyway, I'm not a big fan. I think I actually like the original cover better... The parallelism idea in itself remains cool though.

Will they be doing new covers for every volume?

Top Bottom