2016 Berserk TV series: Episode 3

What did you think of the third episode of the 2016 TV series?

• It was great.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Some problems, but enjoyable.

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • It was bad, but had some redeeming features.

Votes: 36 43.4%
  • I hated it.

Votes: 31 37.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cyrus Jong said:
I think the idea was to introduce the concept of apostles and Beherits to anyone in the audience who was unfamiliar with Berserk. And since they chose to skip the Snake Baron, the Count, and Rosine so they move right along to the Birth Ceremony chapter, they decided that inserting an Apostle fight into the middle of Binding Chains was the most efficient compromise. Emphasis on "I think," because they did a really poor job of it what with how sloppily the apostle's backstory came out.

If that's the case then, as you said, they did a poor job of it. In fact, if I didn't already know how apostles and Beherits work I probably wouldn't have figured it out from what they have shown in this episode.

Before the anime was released I was hopeful that it would make new viewers decide to check out the manga. At this rate, however, I'm thinking it may do the opposite. I'd hate to think how I would have reacted had this been my introduction to Berserk. :magni:

Ok I just finished watching eps 3 and I hate to say it ,because I'm trying to stay positive for the future, but half of me hates it the other have is like hey its Berserk, I know I wont say any thing new here but why in the "PUCK" :puck: is it that they have to keep going back in forth with the animation, the 3dish animation looks like shit half the time and its only highlighted by the fact that when the do a 'flash back" or just a horse rape scene they jump back and forth. If the animation was good I could for give a lot, even if it was stylized like the opening, but no its like here is some decent animation then they slap you in the face with 3d shit :rickert: just pick one style when it jumps like that it just pulls me out of the action and makes the pacing feel like shit. :mozgus:

The idea of using that hideous houndsman apostle as a stand-in for the Snail Count was a decent one. Sure, I'd have preferred if they just did those volumes instead of this compromise, but it could have been done well.

But this was just bad. Yes, we do get some idea on what an apostle is and that guts is seeking them (takes 3 episode to get to that point vs. the first 3 pages in Vol 1) but the essence of the behelit and how it is used to make sacrifices is completely up in the air and an abstract mystery here. Instead, we get the monster going on and on about meat and how different humans taste.

It does not help that the supposed sacrifice, the lady who is nice to the houndsman, is killed yet somehow has her shoulderline up perfectly preserved when we know for damn certain that sacrifices rarely have such large "scraps" left over let alone one that can be made into a trophy. And to mount her, one would assume the hald at lead the entire top half of her body to work with

Also regarding Guts' crushed leg, even that could have been excused if they used that as an opportunity to introduce Puck's healing powers, but this series still hasn't established he can do that. Which is just as well because this series is horrible in depicting serious injury which tends to disappear in the next few sequences with no visible weakness. Almost getting Wile E Coyote at this point

I actually found the traditional animation to be an improvement in some respect, but the technical limitations are still very present.

On a bit of a bright side, this series isn't quite as bowdlerized as I suspected. That horse rape sequence was still present as was the Farnese possession. I was expecting the entire goat idol orgy to be cut out along with the prostitutes, but it looks like they may stay faithful to their presence after all.

Oh, and can I say that this has to be the most boring adaptation of Guts in any of the series. He's voiced like a boring veteran samurai cliche and mostly acts like it. It was bad during Episode one where he should have been at the edge of madness, and in this episode he should have taken almost ecstatic joy in killing the apostle here, especially since it (supposedly) was at the Eclipse and seriously wounded him. But no, he's just a bland stoic badass wannabe.

He also doesn't seem that disappointed that the apostle here couldn't help him, given in this patchwork retelling, he should still believe that he can locate and kill Femto as he did in Vol 3.

Lastly, I agree that Farnese was out of character in these new portions. She should have demanded that the trollish houndsman untie her at once or face the wrath of the Holy See. Instead she's already humbled despite escaping Guts.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Compare the apostle fight in this ep to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1txWrp1N46I

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
97's anime had better sound effects, at least slicing through snake baron sounds like slicing, and the blood sizzling out as well.

Walter said:
Compare the apostle fight in this ep to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1txWrp1N46I
This is the first time I'm watching it, wow thats some excellent directing while working with a low budget as well.

Even ignoring the DS actually sounding like it is penetrating flesh instead of a parry sound effect, really one of the few instances where the CLAAAANG wound have been appropriate, that clip just shows that the technical and animation crew had some idea in what they were doing.

Also let's not go into Guts apparently showing mercy on an apostle by willfully giving it a "clean death" simply by admitting it didn't know how to reach the God Hand. Doesn't help that the episode shies away from Guts' brief arrow torture session to the point that I didn't even notice it until watching it a second time.

As is, it was a pretty lame apostle fight especially given that Guts was in ass-kicking mode up to that point. Why he's unable to blast him with his cannon is a bit of a mystery as well. (no ammo?)

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Finally watched the episode; not much to add. I thought this episode was really boring, and I agree that Miura's involvement seems highly questionable. The one thing I really want to say is I hated the quick-draw scene. That was the moment in the manga where I first decided Serpico was going to be a guy to watch out for. The intensity just wasn't there. And maybe that's how it's supposed to be and my experience was unique. It just didn't feel right to me. And having the credits rolling over the scene was horrible and dismissive. I hope the duel on the cliff side is better executed.

Delta Phi said:
I hope the duel on the cliff side is better executed.

At this point, I'm just hoping that they include the duel on the cliff side. Wouldn't be surprised if that was another scene they omit from this anime. :sad:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
N7Paladin said:
At this point, I'm just hoping that they include the duel on the cliff side. Wouldn't be surprised if that was another scene they omit from this anime. :sad:

Or with credits laid on top of it :serpico:

Lawliet said:
If that's the case then, as you said, they did a poor job of it. In fact, if I didn't already know how apostles and Beherits work I probably wouldn't have figured it out from what they have shown in this episode.

Before the anime was released I was hopeful that it would make new viewers decide to check out the manga. At this rate, however, I'm thinking it may do the opposite. I'd hate to think how I would have reacted had this been my introduction to Berserk. :magni:

I believe anyone interested would have already check out the manga after the '97 anime series or the movie trilogy.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
xfool said:
I believe anyone interested would have already check out the manga after the '97 anime series or the movie trilogy.

While I don't necessarily disagree, refreshing it with a new production does get its name out there in a bigger way than if it simply rests in the back catalogs. The sheer effort of marketing this thing makes Berserk's name more widespread.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
xfool said:

People are born all the time, and then they grow up. 1997 was a long time ago.

Aazealh said:
People are born all the time, and then they grow up. 1997 was a long time ago.

well theres the Berserk movies, I felt that most of the viewers watching this series would have seen the trilogy, if not chances are they wont be watching it. And if anyone is really new to Berserk , he would have done some googling and find out about the movies preceding the series and watch them first.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
xfool said:
well theres the Berserk movies, I felt that most of the viewers watching this series would have seen the trilogy, if not chances are they wont be watching it. And if anyone is really new to Berserk , he would have done some googling and find out about the movies preceding the series and watch them first.

The movies were four years ago already, they didn't air the same way, didn't feature the same part of the story, and people couldn't have done a search about Berserk if they didn't know it existed. That's what this series does, as Walter pointed out: it puts Berserk's name out there.

Aazealh said:
The movies were four years ago already, they didn't air the same way, didn't feature the same part of the story, and people couldn't have done a search about Berserk if they didn't know it existed. That's what this series does, as Walter pointed out: it puts Berserk's name out there.

My point is if they have any interest to know more about Berserk after watching this anime they will want to find out more,I felt that this series and the older one are basically 'advertisment' for its source materials(Berserk manga). The quality doesnt really matter much, for example Attack on Titan, its an awesome anime but it didnt make me want to find out more and read its manga simply because I wasnt that interested in it. Another example is Overlord, the anime isnt great but I really like it ,so I search onilne find out more and read the light novels which the anime was adpated.

Delta Phi said:
The one thing I really want to say is I hated the quick-draw scene. That was the moment in the manga where I first decided Serpico was going to be a guy to watch out for. The intensity just wasn't there. And maybe that's how it's supposed to be and my experience was unique. It just didn't feel right to me. And having the credits rolling over the scene was horrible and dismissive. I hope the duel on the cliff side is better executed.
That was a really weird decision. It wasn't even the end of the episode. :ganishka: I didn't mind the way they depicted Serpico, though - it wasn't as intense, but his personality was close to how he was introduced in the manga, seemingly jovial and carefree.

All in all, I enjoyed parts of this episode. More than the first two, anyway. After it first went off the rails (They're heading for a mansion? Are they completely changing Farnese's backstory now...?) , I tried my best to stop thinking about the manga. On its own, the boar dog apostle's backstory is actually really cool. It's too bad the action is constantly getting dragged down by the awful animation, inappropriate sound effects, and the way the fight plays out is just... weird.

But regardless, onto the important matters: Let me be the first to fully endorse Farnese's nipple-free boobs! It's only fair, as Miura's never drawn mannipples in the manga. :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gamehowitzer said:
Ok want to tell us what to call it then? Everyone pretty much calls it rape horse. If you dont like it cmon give us a better name.

Why does it need a name, exactly...? And who are these people clamoring for a name? It was just a possessed horse in a scene that lasts about 4 pages in Volume 17. And it doesn't rape anyone. It threatens to rape Farnese.

Walter said:
And it doesn't rape anyone. It threatens to rape Farnese.

Even if it did, that name tries to make light of rape, to turn it into something humorous for the "epic lolz", so whoever uses it is being insensitive to say the least, and has some growing up to do. I mean if "everyone" really does call it that, I guess the Musou teaser was aimed at the right crowd after all.

Eluvei said:
Even if it did, that name tries to make light of rape, to turn it into something humorous for the "epic lolz", so whoever uses it is being insensitive to say the least, and has some growing up to do. I mean if "everyone" really does call it that, I guess the Musou teaser was aimed at the right crowd after all.
Look all i meant was rape horse is rape horse. Thats what the scene is referred to as often as ive seen it talked about thats all. Now lets not get into all of the sensitive topics. Im sure no one wants that.

Gamehowitzer said:
Look all i meant was rape horse is rape horse. Thats what the scene is referred to as often as ive seen it talked about thats all. Now lets not get into all of the sensitive topics. Im sure no one wants that.

As it's been said already, you could just say "that possessed horse" or even just "the horse". You're just perpetuating a stupid meme. People that say "rape horse" are the same people that make these stupid boat and idolmaster jokes. They're assholes.

Rupert Sinclair said:
You're just perpetuating a stupid meme. People that say "rape horse" are the same people that make these stupid boat and idolmaster jokes. They're assholes.

Precisely. I hate the "boat" memes the most, they're stupid for obvious reasons, and ITS NOT a BOAT, its a big fucking ship. ship ≠ boat. just stupid bandwagons

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gamehowitzer said:
Look all i meant was rape horse is rape horse. Thats what the scene is referred to as often as ive seen it talked about thats all.

All that means is you've read a bunch of stupid posts. I've got nothing against you personally, but anyone using that name is an idiot, and that's pretty much the final word on the matter.

Aazealh said:
All that means is you've read a bunch of stupid posts. I've got nothing against you personally, but anyone using that name is an idiot, and that's pretty much the final word on the matter.
Fair enough. I've never really had anyone else to talk about berserk to before i joined here so forgive me for not knowing the term rape horse was disliked generally. Thanks.

Top Bottom