Episode 346

BiQ_

" ... "
Thank you kindly, Aazealh and Puella for providing information yet again!

We are finally here, and I can barely contain myself!

Wenliinvictus said:
I wonder if she knows a certain armoured skeleton.

...I'd say it's nearly certain everyone who's even a little bit higher-up on Elfhelm at least knows of him. Personally though? Hmm. Likely.

I hope they get to curing Casca as soon as possible, without any last minute quests dropped on them. Is likely she will regain her mind, but I also wonder if the queen can remove the brands as well, something will have to happen since the talismans negating the brands power have a finite lifespan.

As much as I wish for her to regain her sanity, I also think it will not be straightforward for her. I'm afraid that her psyche will force itself into amnesia at least. About the brands... Somehow I don't think there is anyone, or any force in the whole world of Berserk able to "remove" the brand completely. Not even the leader of Elfhelm. The brand goes all the way to the soul, condemning its victim into interstice. Well, maybe it's too hasty to say it's impossible, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if that was the case. They will just have to redo the talismans from time to time.

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
Wonder if all Guts' crew will get their own personal unicorn to ride into battle with :guts: Guts charging into Falconia on a unicorn. Can't be any more threatening than that.

Er, Unicorns are not exactly symbols of power or battle... Guts would have to have a black horse ( with red glowing eyes :D ) to suit his style.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aside from the grand reveal of the Sovereign of the Flower Storm, I was most intrigued by Ged and Schierke talking about the "weight" element. Like Aaz said in the summary, it sounds like Miura is introducing a subatomic explanation for his universe. This new element could explain the compositional difference between the corporeal and astral worlds.

favole said:
Hello everyone, I'm new here :) Let me know if I have to change a few things whenever I post something.

Welcome! Note a few corrections to terms and names below:

I wasn't expecting them to meet Hanafubuku that fast either

Hanafubuku is an untranslated title that means Flower Storm. I couldn't tell you why Dark Horse's translation chose to leave it merely romanized instead of actually localizing the term (which is, ya know, their job). We've known since Vol 28 that the title implied the Sovereign of the Flower Storm had some association with cherry blossoms, which was confirmed a few episodes ago, and absolutely confirmed in this episode. Meanwhile, Hanafubuku may as well be Pupupupupupupu in English.

I'm wondering if the fact she had the notion of time when the archmages

That's a made up term. A more direct translation is guru.

I agree that he is probably there mostly for comic relief but considering he's also the son of Federico do Vandimion who is one of the most influential men of the series... maybe he could have a different role in the future, if just to testify of what he saw as a way to corroborate what Farnese could say, in case they need their father's help. It's very far in the future though, and I really doubt he will have any other role while they're on Elfhelm.

*Federico de Vandimion.

I'm sure Miura won't just write Magnifico off, but I think people (not just you) are overlooking what's probably the real reason that Miura chose to bring him along: He's the most worldly human in the most otherworldly environment on the planet. It creates hilarious contrasts and scenarios.

Walter said:
Welcome! Note a few corrections to terms and names below:

- Hanafubuku is an untranslated title that means Flower Storm. I couldn't tell you why Dark Horse's translation chose to leave it merely romanized instead of actually localizing the term (which is, ya know, their job). We've known since Vol 28 that the title implied the Sovereign of the Flower Storm had some association with cherry blossoms, which was confirmed a few episodes ago, and absolutely confirmed in this episode. Meanwhile, Hanafubuku may as well be Pupupupupupupu in English.

- That's a made up term. A more direct translation is guru.

- *Federico de Vandimion.

- I'm sure Miura won't just write Magnifico off, but I think people (not just you) are overlooking what's probably the real reason that Miura chose to bring him along: He's the most worldly human in the most otherworldly environment on the planet. It creates hilarious contrasts and scenarios.

Duly noted. Thanks!

BiQ-- said:
...I'd say it's nearly certain everyone who's even a little bit higher-up on Elfhelm at least knows of him. Personally though? Hmm. Likely.

I agree about the Skull Knight. I believe it was at the end of volume 18 that Puck encountered him with Guts and thought that he "kinda felt like an elf" even if he didn't say it out loud. So this would be likely in my opinion, aside from the fact he knew Flora who was a powerful witch.

Aazealh said:
It's an absolute certainty that this new element will be of key importance in the story. But you're mistaken about what Ged explains. He's not saying it helps elves do things, but that elves don't really go along with it, and so it's sparser in Elfhelm. That's just an aside to him explaining how gravity works in the world of Berserk, and what other properties this element has.

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
favole said:
on the subject of Danann, I'm wondering if the fact she had the notion of time when the archmages or the students apparently didn't was yet another hint to her identity (namely dinner, the fact she seemed to realize Puck had been gone for a long time

There is no reason to believe "Danan" is written any other way than straight up "Danan" right now. That aside, everyone knew Puck had been gone for a while, as is made clear in the dialogue they all have with him. As for the guru who pretends he doesn't remember that he just ate, it's a joke to establish the fact he's a glutton. So the answer to your question is that no, it wasn't a hint.

favole said:
Sorry I know this isn't the topic, but isn't it possible that Griffith's Od is just inherently evil anyway because of the fact he is Femto? Since the boy isn't producing any kind of reaction from the brand when he's close by while Griffith did, I would have thought their powers and Ods don't really have to do with each other (although since he is so powerful, maybe he did borrow some of Griffith's power, if we're assuming he is the demon infant that is).

That's... what I just said in the paragraph you're quoting. And yes, the reason the nature of the boy and Griffith's relation is unclear is because they share a body.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Feeblecursedone said:
Er, Unicorns are not exactly symbols of power or battle... Guts would have to have a black horse ( with red glowing eyes :D ) to suit his style.

Yeah, I know it was a far fetched idea. :ganishka:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I knew I shouldn't have tried to show off using jargon and quit while I was ahead! I didn't really mean Griffith's and Danan's ods would feel similar in nature but that it would be interesting if whatever it is about Griffith and the Boy that causes the latter's manifestation and/or projection was similar to a trait or ability of Danan's that Schierke thought she recognized. I'm assuming Schierke would recognize Griffith's od since she presumably felt it through that bird, so like Aaz said the Boy's is probably unique.

BiQ-- said:
Thank you kindly, Aazealh and Puella for providing information yet again!

As much as I wish for her to regain her sanity, I also think it will not be straightforward for her. I'm afraid that her psyche will force itself into amnesia at least. About the brands... Somehow I don't think there is anyone, or any force in the whole world of Berserk able to "remove" the brand completely. Not even the leader of Elfhelm. The brand goes all the way to the soul, condemning its victim into interstice. Well, maybe it's too hasty to say it's impossible, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if that was the case. They will just have to redo the talismans from time to time.

I'm not expecting Elf queen to snap her fingers and bring Cascas sanity back, it will likely be a difficult process that involves Casca willing herself back into consciousness. Without any protection from the brand Casca and Guts have nowhere safe to live apart from Elfhelm. And even then they are condemned to the vortex of souls, hardly a happy ending.

Griffith said:
I knew I shouldn't have tried to show off using jargon and quit while I was ahead! I didn't really mean Griffith's and Danan's ods would feel similar in nature but that it would be interesting if whatever it is about Griffith and the Boy that causes the latter's manifestation and/or projection was similar to a trait or ability of Danan's that Schierke thought she recognized. I'm assuming Schierke would recognize Griffith's od since she presumably felt it through that bird, so like Aaz said the Boy's is probably unique.

I personally find that the final page in this episode draws an especially striking resemblance to the final page in episode 175.

Griffith

Jaze1618 said:
I personally find that the final page in this episode draws an especially striking resemblance to the final page in episode 175.

That was my first thought upon seeing it, but there have been similar shots featuring Griffith and others since; it's when I saw her hair when I really considered the similarities beyond that. Still not much to go on though I should add, but it's a fun thought.

Griffith said:
That was my first thought upon seeing it, but there have been similar shots featuring Griffith and others since; it's when I saw her hair when I really considered the similarities beyond that. Still not much to go on though I should add, but it's a fun thought.

I think the thing that sticks out the most is the similar slender display of neck and cheek bones. No other image from the series springs to mind as matching that particular style other than the one from this episode and the one episode 175. Wish I had a screenshot I could link to for any other interested readers.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
LiveAnotherDave over on Reddit made a nice Imgur album of some of the new creatures introduced in this episode and historical art that bear resemblances to them. I thought y'all might be interested in taking a look. Check it out here!

Delta Phi said:
LiveAnotherDave over on Reddit made a nice Imgur album of some of the new creatures introduced in this episode and historical art that bear resemblances to them. I thought y'all might be interested in taking a look. Check it out here!

the young fauns looks so awesome, in volume 7 we see a statue of one striking a similar pose to the one in that imgur link which is pretty cool.
A4HHjKb.png

Wenliinvictus said:
I'm not expecting Elf queen to snap her fingers and bring Cascas sanity back, it will likely be a difficult process that involves Casca willing herself back into consciousness.

I agree. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Cucca in episode 344 slightly explained the process having to do with a "corridor of dreams" so I would not be surprised if several episodes were dedicated to this, with a long look into Casca's head and how she feels about everything that happened ever since the eclipse (or even slightly before).

Delta Phi said:

Thank you for the link, it's very interesting.

DANGERDOOOOM

Delta Phi said:

Wow, that was an amazing and well researched layout. Miura is truly amazing.

Should have known Treebeard and the Ents would be living on Elfhelm.

Griffith

Jaze1618 said:
I think the thing that sticks out the most is the similar slender display of neck and cheek bones. No other image from the series springs to mind as matching that particular style other than the one from this episode and the one episode 175. Wish I had a screenshot I could link to for any other interested readers.

Here. But there are other examples, such as Farnese at the conclusion to episode 261, or Sonja at the end of episode 299. They're not exactly the same as that Griffith shot, but neither is this, and I think the common purpose behind all of them is to punctuate the end of an episode with a significant character and moment.

Incredible. Absolutely incredible. 346 left me in total awe. I've never smiled so much reading an episode. At least not for a LONG time. Puck's whole King troll was everything. :troll:

Aazealh said:
This is not the case. Guts is just very strong. Remember that he could swing the Dragon Slayer long before it was imbued with "evil power".

You are right. What if it was the other way round instead, and the new elements actually got imbued into the blade over the course of the story which allowed Guts to, for the lack of a better word, "warp the reality" around the blade, such that it can hurt beings like the Godhand.

DANGERDOOOOM

zrexe said:
You are right. What if it was the other way round instead, and the new elements actually got imbued into the blade over the course of the story which allowed Guts to, for the lack of a better word, "warp the reality" around the blade, such that it can hurt beings like the Godhand.

Think we need to find out more about this new binding element before jumping to Guts warping reality with his sword. All we know is that his sword has the ability to damage entities out of the physical realm because of it constantly being covered in the remnants of astral beings. If Guts were to be able to hurt the God Hand, his main issue would be how to even touch them without being blown away or instantly killed.

This element does bring in a lot more to the table though. Hope we hear more explanations in the near future.

this may be a long shot, but I wonder if this new element has anything to do with affecting the time flow around elfhelm? Maybe it also contributes to the slower time flow between elfhelm and the outside world.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
zrexe said:

We already know what happened with the Dragon Slayer. We've known since volume 24. It does not involve "warping reality", nor is it very likely to involve this new element.
There is however a chance that this element could be linked to the evil power that the Idea of Evil, the God Hand and the apostles make use of. But it's a bit early to make such connections.

Vixen Comics said:
this may be a long shot, but I wonder if this new element has anything to do with affecting the time flow around elfhelm? Maybe it also contributes to the slower time flow between elfhelm and the outside world.

It is a possibility, although:

1) Ged does not mention it.
2) The gravitational effects felt in Elfhelm are local and do not apply to the entire island of Skellig.
3) In our world, the way time dilation works is that time passes more slowly the closer you get to a strong gravitational source, whereas here time passes more slowly on Skellig (though Miura is obviously free to make things work as he sees fit in this fictional world).

1. HOLY SHIT :ubik:

2. Could it be that Miura knows about the art of Brian Froud? Because some creatures look suspiciously similar.

blaw66jp.jpg

5ihtr4xz.jpg

gaa37bmo.jpg

cxirxlvl.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Irvine said:
2. Could it be that Miura knows about the art of Brian Froud? Because some creatures look suspiciously similar.

Those creatures have been described and illustrated in folklore for centuries (see the link Delta Phi posted, and even that's not going very far back in time compared to what exists). There's only so many ways to represent them (pointy hats, pointy ears, lanky bodies with funny proportions, big noses, etc.), and Miura likes to stick close to the original for these things, so it's really no surprise there would be similarities. Especially considering Brian Froud has been drawing faeries almost exclusively for over 35 years.

To give you an example, the first picture you posted also looks similar to a Smurf. And that's because Smurfs (created in 1958) were also directly inspired by traditional folkoric descriptions. All artwork based on folklore will inevitably bear similarities. Just like a knight generally looks like others knights. You get the idea. That being said, I imagine Miura has probably at least heard of Brian Froud, given his prominence in the modern faery illustration scene. I would not be very surprised if I were told that he owns a copy of Faeries.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ok so for reference the element of weight is called "Barytes" (in Japanese: "バリュテース"). It's from the Greek word "βαρύτης", itself derived from "βαρύς", which means "heavy".

In real life, it's a mineral (commonly called "baryte" or "barite" in English) that is the main source of barium in the world. But more interestingly for us, it used to be a big deal in the alchemical world when it was discovered that a certain type of it can glow in the dark. They used to call them Bologna Stones, because the first one was found near Bologna in Italy. Anyway, this has no direct bearing on Berserk's own world but it's where Miura got the name.

Please note that it is not pronounced like the English word "baryte", as Miura based it on the original Greek word (same thing than for the "Idea" in "Idea of Evil"). To an English speaker, it should sound like "ba-ree-tess".

Top Bottom