Episode 346

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Ok so for reference the element of weight is called "Barytes" (in Japanese: "バリュテース"). It's from the Greek word "βαρύτης", itself derived from "βαρύς", which means "heavy".

In real life, it's a mineral (commonly called "baryte" or "barite" in English) that is the main source of barium in the world. But more interestingly for us, it used to be a big deal in the alchemical world when it was discovered that a certain type of it can glow in the dark. They used to call them Bologna Stones, because the first one was found near Bologna in Italy. Anyway, this has no direct bearing on Berserk's own world but it's where Miura got the name.

Please note that it is not pronounced like the English word "baryte", as Miura based it on the original Greek word (same thing than for the "Idea" in "Idea of Evil"). To an English speaker, it should sound like "ba-ree-tess".

Thanks for the explanation, Aaz!

slowishturtle said:
Truly an amazing episode! Happy too see Miura back at work again. Soon we'll see what happens with Casca! Aaah! I'm very excited. :???:

I can't wait to see what is in Casca's mind when the Sovereign of the Flower storm delves into it. All this time I have wondered about the mechanics of Casca's mental state. If she is regressed simply to toddlerhood where she had no pain and responsibilities? Or has her conscientiousness created this dream state where she is back with the band of the Falcon in her old role where she was happiest. I wonder what that would mean if Guts sees her in that state if she has created something like that. I imagine he would not be happy.

I know there has been speculation on here that Guts or even Farnese would play a role in helping the elf queen heal Casca, but I can't help but think it would just involve just Casca and the elf queen. Healing someones mind seems like such an intimate thing I would think it would be done privately with one else involved but the person in question.

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
I can't wait to see what is in Casca's mind when the Sovereign of the Flower storm delves into it. All this time I have wondered about the mechanics of Casca's mental state. If she is regressed simply to toddlerhood where she had no pain and responsibilities? Or has her conscientiousness created this dream state where she is back with the band of the Falcon in her old role where she was happiest. I wonder what that would mean if Guts sees her in that state if she has created something like that. I imagine he would not be happy.

I dont think it'll be easy for him. We can guess Casca's trauma blocked off a large part of her consciousness to prevent total mind collapse so the Elf Queen will have to help her face those fears and events that happened in the Eclipse. Perhaps when her mind projects flashing images of the rape and other horrors, the Elf Queen will project images of happiness and of those who love her like Guts, and a happier future.

Aulë

Studying Electrical engineering.
Khalamir said:
Maybe this fifth element has something to do with how Femto's powers work. :femto:

wow nice observation!!

Do you think each of the five of the God Hand controls an Element and Femto's is Gravity? That would make a lot of sense!

In that case which element goes to who? Maybe Ubik has Wind because he is flying. And maybe Slan has Earth because she came from ground in fight with Guts.

Or maybe all these are coincidences :ganishka:

Aazealh said:
Please note that it is not pronounced like the English word "baryte", as Miura based it on the original Greek word (same thing than for the "Idea" in "Idea of Evil"). To an English speaker, it should sound like "ba-ree-tess".

Is the "Idea" in "Idea of Evil" from the word "ιδέα" and are they pronounced alike?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aulë said:
Do you think each of the five of the God Hand controls an Element and Femto's is Gravity? That would make a lot of sense!

Zero percent chance. Elements are associated with the natural world. The God Hand's power comes from a different source, the Idea of Evil, which is itself an artificial force in the universe, compared to the natural forces.

Is the "Idea" in "Idea of Evil" from the word "ιδέα" and are they pronounced alike?

Yes, that's what Aazealh was saying.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Aulë said:

Nope.

Aulë said:
In that case which element goes to who? Maybe Ubik has Wind because he is flying. And maybe Slan has Earth because she came from ground in fight with Guts.

Nah.

Aulë said:

Yes.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Miura's Comment this week:

I went to the "Chica Umino's World" event. So beautiful... (*´ω`*) I was also surprised at the breadth of attendees!

He is referring to this exhibition/event for the creator of March Comes In Like a Lion. You guys probably remember her various contributions to the Miura's work.

Hello everyone, this is my first post (I think) despite the fact that I signed up to this forum 5 years ago lmao

Berserk is easily my favorite manga. 10 years ago Berserk and Elfen Lied helped me transition into reading more seinen, although you can hardly compare the two series in terms of quality.

Anyway, the new episode! Wow. Just wow. Incredible artwork by Miura, per usual. Always impressed by how much detail he can fit into a panel. Many thanks to the Imgur post on possible influences, Aazealh and Walter for their scholarly knowledge, and Paz for her translation.

To fuel some speculation, I posit a few questions

1. How long until everything in Skellig goes to shit? I'm sure many of us have hypothesized that Griffith and his considerable forces could soon make Skellig a priority (if they hadn't already). 5 chapters? 10? Personally, I'm digging this tonal shift from what we have come to recognize as a very dark series; this is some very important world-building Miura is doing at the moment and I feel like some of our fanbase (not you guys, mostly Reddit) are not appreciating these serene moments and how much exposition we are getting. It's blowing my mind, yo

2. What is the worst case scenario for Casca right now? Best case if she's healed obviously, embraces Guts in a tender moment (I'd cry so hard), and takes her revenge on Griffith. But Miura has a good knack for throwing us curveballs in the plot. How do you all think this shakes out? Will the Sovereign of the Flower Storm ask Guts for something? Will Casca resist the restoration of her mind? I can't wait for next month's release!

hi and good morning to everyone.
I'm Italian, i'm sorry for my bad English .
i have see that there isn't morda , do you think could become an enemy?

the gatsu/puk's bejelit in which episode did it appeared?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
luke71 said:

Nah, I don't think so. I imagine she'll be accompanying the group to Falconia at some point, but it's hard to know for sure at this point.

the Guts/puk's bejelit in which episode did it appeared?

It appeared at the end of the first Desire's Guardian Angels episode in volume one.

Squiddot

The Falcon needs you. You don't need him!
persiandud said:
1. How long until everything in Skellig goes to shit? I'm sure many of us have hypothesized that Griffith and his considerable forces could soon make Skellig a priority (if they hadn't already). 5 chapters? 10?

Wow! Pessimist much? :ganishka: A big all out assault would be a dramatic end for the Elfhelm journey. But the pace of the group has already been set by the time distortion they introduced back when they first arrived. It might be that for once the group actually gets to leave on their own terms. Though I won't rule out an invasion, but not before the group has had time to both heal Casca and spend some time unravelling the dozens of character arcs that will stem from that event. I'd say just enjoy the ride for now. There's enough awesome stuff going on without apostles ripping things apart.

(I agree with what you said about people not appreciating the tonal shift. I just try to remember that a lot of these comments come from somebody just taking those 20 pages in without even thinking about the bigger picture. If Miura dares draw 5 episodes dealing with an upbeat theme then they'll claim he's forgone violence entirely. And even this most groundbreaking of episodes had people on reddit and 4chan claiming that "nothing happened".)

persiandud said:
2. What is the worst case scenario for Casca right now? Best case if she's healed obviously, embraces Guts in a tender moment (I'd cry so hard), and takes her revenge on Griffith. But Miura has a good knack for throwing us curveballs in the plot. How do you all think this shakes out? Will the Sovereign of the Flower Storm ask Guts for something? Will Casca resist the restoration of her mind? I can't wait for next month's release!

I think at this point Miura has to give this to us straight. Simply too much time and effort has been invested to lead to anything less than Casca being healed. True Miura has twisted expectations in the past but having something like Casca resisting her healing would simply be an audience betrayal. Especially, for the current fans who have been waiting for her return for so long. It wouldn't be clever. Future readers would watch Guts fight through Qliphoth, Vritannis and the Sea God knowing that the end result would be for nothing (And if you're thinking it, what Miura pulled during the Golden Age was fundamentally different).

Plus having her cured and back as an active character drives the development of everybody much further than having her remain in the current state. It will be a new chapter in Farnesse and Schierke's attachment towards Guts. If she's still as much of a fighter as she was before, it opens a whole new avenue of training for Isidro. To say nothing of the development of Guts and the growing Beast.

As far as the Sovereign making requests the most I can think of would be Guts himself, as in the ritual required his presence. The fact that the means of restoring Casca's mind was described as utilising a "Corridor of Dreams" in the previous episodes makes it sounds like it won't be a "collect 10 magic berries for the potion" situation.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
persiandud said:
Many thanks to the Imgur post on possible influences, Aazealh and Walter for their scholarly knowledge, and Paz for her translation.

Who...?

1. How long until everything in Skellig goes to shit? I'm sure many of us have hypothesized that Griffith and his considerable forces could soon make Skellig a priority (if they hadn't already). 5 chapters? 10?

5 chapters would be a LOT. I'm not sure there will be 5 more chapters for the rest of the series. Maybe 2 or 3, tops. Or did you mean episodes?

Anyway, I don't think it's a foregone conclusion there will be an attack on Elfhelm by Falconian forces. Why should they? While Griffith and the apostles did go on a campaign across the world to torch spiritual trees, that was (as far as we know) to bring about the Blast of the Astral World, which was already successful. So, we don't know that Griffith needs to destroy more trees. I'm certainly not ruling it out, but so far there hasn't been a very strong reason for Griffith to launch an overseas campaign.

I feel like some of our fanbase (not you guys, mostly Reddit) are not appreciating these serene moments and how much exposition we are getting

Speaking from experience, there have always been and will always be naysayers who can't see the forest for the trees. Berserk's Armor? Lame, "it's like Power Rangers now." Exploring Vritannis? "How are they not on the ship yet?!" En route to Skellig? "How are they not off the ship yet?!" And on and on it goes, and it will never end. It's not worth chronicling or paying much attention to.

I think she will ultimately be restored, but that the process will be traumatic for her, because she doesn't want to live in this world, as things are. But with time, and with help from Guts, she will learn to cope with it, and because of their son, she will have a valid reason to venture to the continent and rescue him.

Squiddot said:
And even this most groundbreaking of episodes had people on reddit and 4chan claiming that "nothing happened".)

I shouldn't be surprised, but this is literally insane to me. Aside from Fantasia and Falconia, this is the biggest reveal in a decade.

I'd like to direct such people to this image I drew, just so they can get their fill and move on with their lives.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
luke71 said:

the Guts/puk's bejelit in which episode did it appeared?
Benvenuto :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
persiandud said:
I feel like some of our fanbase (not you guys, mostly Reddit) are not appreciating these serene moments and how much exposition we are getting.
Squiddot said:
(I agree with what you said about people not appreciating the tonal shift. [...] And even this most groundbreaking of episodes had people on reddit and 4chan claiming that "nothing happened".)

Sorry for being blunt but who gives a shit what a bunch of idiots think? Like Walter said, stupid comments have been around since the very beginning. They'll always be there, even for the final episode of the series. Giving them any thought – or even reading them in the first place – is simply more than they deserve. You're free to waste your time sifting through garbage of course, but I assure you (and that goes for every member here), there's no need to tell us about it.

persiandud said:
(not you guys, mostly Reddit)

Reddit :mozgus: is the cesspool of the internet. I tried that community, but I found myself being pulled into the theatrical lunacy as well. Serious posts are randomly not, the same as the opposite. Truly cannot comprehend ever going there again. If there was a form of venereal disease acquired by being online, that site is it.

On here you never have to worry about that crap. On here that doesn't exist and in terms of perspective Heaven would be where you're reading right this moment and hell would be Reddit. The middle ground would be somewhere on facebook in the communities, but even there trouble awaits.

To top that off, we are mere moments away from looking into the sunset here. We made it, we met the queen and if Casca is cured in a manner of episodes, what is left but the end being in sight, or certainly the last arc or two? Saying nothing is happening means casuals of berserk manga, not fans in any reasonable regard are waiting for the next time Guts cuts someone down to get any notable moment in their brains to say wow, Berserk is so badass.

persiandud said:
1. How long until everything in Skellig goes to shit? I'm sure many of us have hypothesized that Griffith and his considerable forces could soon make Skellig a priority (if they hadn't already). 5 chapters? 10? Personally, I'm digging this tonal shift from what we have come to recognize as a very dark series; this is some very important world-building Miura is doing at the moment and I feel like some of our fanbase (not you guys, mostly Reddit) are not appreciating these serene moments and how much exposition we are getting. It's blowing my mind, yo

1. I think they have already considered attacking the island, if they are clever. But the power of Elfhelm is something you can't even sneeze on. They took their chances attacking Flora's forest, even with the group inside, and won. But Elfhelm and Skellig as a whole is something at a new level. They could try, though. The outcome would be something beyond our imagination, but something is clear: if Skellig (and thus Elfhelm) goes to shit, it means that the last known bastion against evil is out of the game. That would kill all the faith the protagonists could have, and so us readers. I see Skellig and Elfhelm as the last card to flip against the God Hand.

2.Yes, I too see Casca's restoration to take it's curved way. It's not going to be from A to B, and as Skully said, she might not want it; man, we could even say she's happy now, even with supressed memories. Maybe Guts will have to help the Sovereign, as he is a familiar figure upon which to start the process (since Griffith is now... Well, not available). Or maybe it all goes smoothly, but it doesn't end there. Maybe her mind needs some time (and I mean TIME) to put things on their place again, slowly, and maybe having her to rest at Elfhelm. Which could sound good, but if you're the conspiranoic type, 1. will pop up in your mind. Attacking Elfhelm while Casca is in therapy, while the group is too far? That would be...

You wanted speculation, friend... :carcus: But no, the less probable thing here is the attack on Elfhelm. Not now, at least. We've been waiting YEARS for this moment. Something has to come out of this, something really good. The hype is huge :casca:

I wil add my part here now that I'm at it:

3. Will this new element be good to fight evil? (fight fire with fire) The series is called Berserk, so, if we suppose going Berserker will do something against evil in the end, then it means that Guts, filled with all these bad emotions this new element represents, will have a chance to win with it. I am supposing a Berserker warrior is filled with this kind of feelings.
If it's not good against evil, then Guts will need also some therapy, because he seems filled with bad emotions, too. All serious and vengeful.
Perhaps here Casca's restoration might have a good effect on him, unburdening him a little.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DarkAdin said:
Maybe Guts will have to help the Sovereign, as he is a familiar figure upon which to start the process (since Griffith is now... Well, not available).

Oh yeah it's too fucking bad Griffith, the one who raped Casca, isn't available to help her get over what he did to her. :schierke:

DarkAdin said:
Guts, filled with all these bad emotions this new element represents, will have a chance to win with it. I am supposing a Berserker warrior is filled with this kind of feelings.

I'd like to stress again to everyone that the description we've been given of Barytes is very vague for now. We do not know yet whether they're associated with all kinds of negative feelings or not. So I would caution against talking like it's set in stone, in order to avoid confusion.

DarkAdin said:
If it's not good against evil, then Guts will need also some therapy, because he seems filled with bad emotions, too. All serious and vengeful.
Perhaps here Casca's restoration might have a good effect on him, unburdening him a little.

Guts definitely needs therapy, and I'm certain Casca's restoration will help with that eventually.

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
I don't mind seeing Guts undergo terapy, as long as it doesn't mean complete loss of Beast of Darkness. Its just way too cool and badass. Rather I'd see Guts put it under complete control and go from an uncontrollable berserker to a calculating berserker. And whatever dwarves/elves have in store for him.

persiandud said:

1.The opportune time to invade Elfhelm has probably passed now that Griffith and his demon army are under siege from monsters, and I think it would be repetitive to have the same thing happen twice. Elfhelm is too far from Griffiths reach. If Griffith considered one dying witch a priority over Ganishka, I dread to think the damage several guru mages and an Elf Queen revered by SK himself would do to apostles.

The Reddit/4chan audience have short attention spans, not all of them, but a lot of them don't think of the overall story, they flick through individual episodes that don't have a lot of action at the moment, and just assume Berserk is getting boring. :schierke:

2. Worst Case scenario, Casca rejects being cured, or commits suicide, not that I believe it will happen. And if the game is anything to go by it certainly won't. I doubt Casca will want to take her revenge against Griffith, I think it's similar to how Rickert feels towards him, she can't hate him. Bear in mind she was in love with Griffith too, not as much as Guts (obviously). I'd like to see how Farnese will react to her when she regains her mind, will Casca become freinds with her former carer?

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Walter said:
We've finally made it to Elfhelm proper, meeting a character we've been anticipating for more than a decade. Hear our thoughts on this grand reveal, and another huge revelation about the Berserk world.

Thanks guys! Very interesting podcast :guts:

We're at such an interesting point in this series. It's very exciting.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Wenliinvictus said:
1.The opportune time to invade Elfhelm has probably passed now that Griffith and his demon army are under siege from monsters

That's not accurate. The wing stones repel the magical creatures. That's what allows people to farm the land around the city without incident. Now that his kingdom is established, it's certainly about time Griffith expanded his direct control...

Wenliinvictus said:
Elfhelm is too far from Griffiths reach. If Griffith considered one dying witch a priority over Ganishka, I dread to think the damage several guru mages and an Elf Queen revered by SK himself would do to apostles.

We now know Griffith was after more than just Flora. He was destroying spiritual trees in preparation for the Blast of the Astral World. So presumably he needed to accomplish that before defeating Ganishka.

Aazealh said:
Oh yeah it's too fucking bad Griffith, the one who raped Casca, isn't available to help her get over what he did to her. :schierke:
That was Femto, wasn't it? :schierke: Anyway, you're right. I should have said Rickert, even

Top Bottom