2016 Berserk TV series: Episode 10

What did you think of the tenth episode of the 2016 TV series?

• It was great.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Some problems, but enjoyable.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • It was bad, but had some redeeming features.

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • I hated it.

Votes: 10 19.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
This is the official discussion thread for the tenth episode of the 2016 TV series. Post your thoughts, impressions and reviews as you see fit.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
This episode was okay. Why bother censoring this anime in the first place, though? It ruined the whole fight scene with Mozgus' henchmen.

The music in this episode especially seemed really off and poorly edited. Sounded too choppy.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
This was a return to form for the series after the decent previous episode. A mess.

Several confusing things about this episode, including a few bizarre changes to the Beherit-Apostle's talk with Luka, as it overreaches itself to try and explain why the ceremony is happening. It also repeated SK's poorly translated (and abridged) explanation of the ceremony. I pity new fans...

Oh, and "Ashes" has officially been overused, my god. Every fight scene with Guts has to have this playing, at all times? It's become a caricature of itself at this point.

On the bright side, The Beherit Egg Apostle looked quite good in 3-D. Sure, it's kind of hard to mess up an egg shape, but even still it moved around fairly lifelike and used additional touches when necessary. Also the apostle pretty well handled.

I do agree that the anime kind of over-explained the ceremony. Which makes some sense given that. Also, the Crunchyroll translation here, as with many other series can be awkwardly phrased or translated, didn't help matters.

The decision to do the whole executioners' fight in 3-D however, really shows the limits in what they were able to achieve. Much of it felt a bit lackluster, though it wasn't as bad as some of the earlier stuff in the show. The music certainly didn't help here.

However, there seemed to be some pretty noticeable censorship, particularly between when the small one gets bombs thrown at him and the next shot of him getting impaled half the screen shaded off. The earlier sequence also when Guts uses his cannon on the guy with the wheel seemed to crop quite a bit of the violence.

Worst part, though, is that the "3-D camera guy" absolutely ruined that bit with Isidiro on Mozgus' head, by having the camera jerk around so much that the expression on Mozgus' face had no time to register. How did they mess that one up?

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
This episode is so weird that i felt a need to speak up. The Cg is the best is has ever been (that´s not saying much) but the studio needs to show their masters something, so here it is. A bit of budget.
The pacing though, dear god! They build up :mozgus:´s men reasonably fine and the (episode) director then decided to borderline dispatch them off screen. CG animation is best suited for action, but let´s not have that someone said... in an action show. The featured scenes also need to have a certain flow to work, yet i could barely process what i was seeing due to the extreme pacing. I read a the manga over a dozen times, so i frankly don´t get how someone who read it once, or never, is supposed to follow along. Ep. 1 / 3 are broken on a basic narrative level, this though was badly constructed despite having enough of the puzzle pieces. The soundtrack is also best described as loud, as i could barely make out the songs themselves. Dear sound-editor, get your ears checked. You may be deaf.
I am thus unhappy but i still need to acknowledge the base level "visuals appeal", so a chose the more mercifully of scores. It was bad, 4/10.
One last question remains though. How are 2 episodes supposed to be enough to give a resolution to this arc and to then also quickly appetizer a (nonexistent) sequel. Even going with 3 more eps., to get the full 13 cour, can´t work. My post-viewing PC crash of last week was thus on the money.
PS: This Skullknight is just the worst btw. They made him boring. How do you do that? He is metal as fuck, due to his design alone.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
residentgrigo said:
The Cg is the best is has ever been (that´s not saying much)

slimer.jpg

Walter said:
This was a return to form for the series after the decent previous episode. A mess.

Several confusing things about this episode, including a few bizarre changes to the Beherit-Apostle's talk with Luka, as it overreaches itself to try and explain why the ceremony is happening. It also repeated SK's poorly translated (and abridged) explanation of the ceremony. I pity new fans...

Oh, and "Ashes" has officially been overused, my god. Every fight scene with Guts has to have this playing, at all times? It's become a caricature of itself at this point.

What's so mess about it? it was awesome episode i really enjoyed it

I haven't even finished the episode but there was something that bothered me so much that i had to post. At 5:45 when the beherit apostle is talking to Luka, there's a brand on his tongue. Why would an apostle have a brand.. If someone could confirm if he had that in the manga or not that'd be great.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gamehowitzer said:
Why would an apostle have a brand.. If someone could confirm if he had that in the manga or not that'd be great.

Yes, that is how it is in the manga. Like he explains, he's a pretty unique kind of person. He had no one to give, so he sacrificed his body, "and the world around him."

Walter said:
Yes, that is how it is in the manga. Like he explains, he's a pretty unique kind of person. He had no one to give, so he sacrificed his body, "and the world around him."
'Thanks Walter. couldn't remember and that bothered me quite a bit. finished the episode now and i am a little disappointed. I hoped it would cover a bit further but ofc gotta wait till next week. Recently i saw a picture depicting the difference in facial expression between CG and 2d and wow, i didn't realize it was that bad. :isidro: Anyways. Pretty decent episode. i liked the part where he kills the torturer in the same swipe as breaking his weapon. His tired expression was a bit strange i think but oh well.

Nothingwillbewong said:
Hey that's pretty good considering they were only given a nintendo gamecube and lunch money
I laughed pretty hard at this. A gamecube lol. Funny thing is im going back and playing the metroid prime series. on my gamecube...

Gamehowitzer said:
I laughed pretty hard at this. A gamecube lol. Funny thing is im going back and playing the metroid prime series. on my gamecube...
Yeah and although i was joking, the sad truth is that alot of gamecube games look alot better (better character models etc) than the new anime. I know the initial shock of the animation is over for most people I still can't believe how ugly and janky everything looks.
BTW Metroid Prime is awesome hope nintendo stops doing coke with the berserk anime guys and make a new metroid

What a crock of shit. A recurring problem throughout the show is how much time they devote to the side conversations, reactions, and humorous quips that occur during every fight scene, and this episode brought it to its logical conclusion by completely drowning the actual fight in them. Hey idiots, there's a reason why Miura depicts those in small panels and lets the action take up most of his page space; because that's where your attention is supposed to be drawn. You made the first part of the climatic final battle a chore to watch. Bravo, I can't wait to see the rest! :schierke:

They altered the Beherit Apostle's conversation with Luka, and not for the better. They changed his speech about Nina, which was more personal and even a bit more humanizing, to a more generic spiel about the darkness and weakness in humanity in general, making it seem more like an angsty teenager ranting about how awful the world is rather than someone who's come to that conclusion based on actual observations. Also, cartoony anime expressions are NOT a substitute for making a deformed human, geniuses.

Besides that, the episode had the usual shit pacing, loud and obnoxious music, no proper buildup, and a complete lack of atmosphere. That last point stands out because this section of the manga had some of the eeriest imagery of all. The Beherit Apostle's "shrine," his speech to Luka and backstory, the Brand appearing in the refugee camp, the tower forming into the shape of a hand, the giant creeping masses of specters, Miura drew these to excellent effect to create a growing sense of dread. But here, things just happen, up front and out of the blue without giving you time to digest what's happening.

Walter said:
To be fair, I think that was just a still. But on the other hand, that just makes it worse.

Nothingwillbewong said:
BTW Metroid Prime is awesome hope nintendo stops doing coke with the berserk anime guys and make a new metroid
Well what they're saying about their new "not metroid game" is it was meant to flesh out the role of the federation to set up the universe for prime 4. Back to berserk now. If only there was an anime project with a similar role for berserk. Show off how cool it can be and represent it in a way that would get people interested in it. Oh wait, if we think about it Federation force and Berserk 2016 are exactly the same. Horrible character models, not true to the series, etc. Yup. Conspiracy.

Cyrus Jong said:
What a crock of shit. A recurring problem throughout the show is how much time they devote to the side conversations, reactions, and humorous quips that occur during every fight scene, and this episode brought it to its logical conclusion by completely drowning the actual fight in them. Hey idiots, there's a reason why Miura depicts those in small panels and lets the action take up most of his page space; because that's where your attention is supposed to be drawn.
They are well aware of what they are doing, but hey as long as they don't have to animate more stuff, they don't care. It's pretty pathetic the little shortcuts they take so they don't have to work as much

God alot of you guys here are so articulate and know what you're talking about. Kinda makes me feel inferior as a fan. Anyways you guys rock. Hopefully i can gleam some of that knowledge from you guys...

I allowed myself to get some what enthusiastic about seeing the incarnation festival (not sure if this is the right name) animated. This episode shattered my enthusiasm and whatever fragements where left for the big finish where swept up by the previews of the next episode which show the horrible cg used to generate :mozgus: final form.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
TripleJMaster3 said:
the previews of the next episode which show the horrible cg used to generate :mozgus: final form.

He looks okay to me. Pretty uninspiring, I guess, but not very far from what I envisioned.

I'll tell you what bummed me out the most about this episode was just how lazy and unimpressive it was when SK defended against the Beherit-Apostle's tentacles. They missed the point of how quick SK's attacks are. That was always a cool panel to me in the manga. Several instantaneous sword strikes, it's demoralizing to the apostle how outmatched he is.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Nothingwillbewong said:
Yeah and although i was joking, the sad truth is that alot of gamecube games look alot better (better character models etc) than the new anime.

Sad but true. I'm currently replaying the J-PS2 Berserk: Millennium Falcon game. It amazes me still how well the game looks being 12 years old. I have to bring up this picture again to let it sink in how far real talent & the correct use of 3D animation can go. If only the programmers and directors of this game were involved with making this anime instead. They stuck true with the original story and portrayed the characters in a way everyone could appreciate.

cpMTblf.jpg

DANGERDOOOOM said:
Sad but true. I'm currently replaying the J-PS2 Berserk: Millennium Falcon game. It amazes me still how well the game looks being 12 years old. I have to bring up this picture again to let it sink in how far real talent & the correct use of 3D animation can go. If only the programmers and directors of this game were involved with making this anime instead. They stuck true with the original story and portrayed the characters in a way everyone could appreciate.

cpMTblf.jpg
Yeah they nailed it with the character models in that game, I haven't played it tho.

PS:why the long face guts? has anyone used that joke for 2016 anime guts yet? Guts' look varies each time Miura changes style but i don't remember him having a thin slim face

This episode really shows how the team involved have got no idea about narrative and scenes. Everything is so choppy, you can't focus on a single image.
The music was loud and out of place.
The fight and the rhythm were broken up by minor stuff.
The goo was comical, not scary at all. The horde of heretics wasn't creepy, it was just silly.
I really love Berserk, but gosh, they really screwed up by giving this studio the rights to animate. I hope they don't renew the contract for a season 2 , and instead look for another studio that can do the opus some justice

Top Bottom