2016 Berserk TV series: Episode 12

What did you think of the final episode of the 2016 TV series?

• It was great.

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • Some problems, but enjoyable.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • It was bad, but had some redeeming features.

Votes: 17 27.0%
  • I hated it.

Votes: 24 38.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
This is the official discussion thread for the twelfth and final episode of the 2016 TV series. Post your thoughts, impressions and reviews as you see fit.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Yeah Zodd is too grey imo. Not the worst ending I've seen but as usual, it could have been way better.

One thing that bothered me is when the dead goo (I don't know how to call it) starts rising and move towards Guts, it's just super quickly resolved with the mini bombs and you practically don't see Guts smash it with the dragon slayer in front of Farnese.

I'm curious to see what they're gonna do next spring.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Well, I think the music ruined this episode completely. Like, I could feel my blood boiling over for about 5 minutes after the credits rolled. I thought it was all very unsatisfying. I don't know why all of a sudden this episode has triggered such disdain when the entire season has been garbage. I guess because of the finality of it all; this season can't get any better anymore since that was the last episode. Griffith's reveal was shit. The music selection was shit. And while I generally like Ash Crow, it's placement was shit, especially over Nina and Joachim's reunion.

Apparently Zodd's a mute these days. Guts' rage at the sight of Griffith and hesitation when remembering Casca was poorly delivered, too (and that's a god damn understatement). What the fuck is this episode? I'm getting worked up again so I'm going to stop before I really embarrass myself.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
So many of the series' best moments were ruined by utterly amateur visuals. I don't have anything else to say about this thing. I hated it.

I'm gonna be straight ass honest. After seeing episode 1 of this series i hadn't even bothered to get a Crunchyroll membership. For the entirety of the series i just skimmed through the episodes and not in one episode i was able to take this series seriously. The entire essence of the manga is just nonexistent.

The visual approach was garbage no doubt, but even when they started to properly follow the story, their unoriginality when it came to directing and having actual good music placement is what made this series so horrible for me. This whole panel to panel adaptation at one point was one of the most retarding things i have ever seen. There is a reason as to why the approach to Manga is so much different when it comes to creating an anime and having things in motion.

This last episode was a prime example of these flaws. The music that started during Griffith's incarnation, it simply was horseshit.

Sarcamos12

King Leer
Walter said:
So many of the series' best moments were ruined by utterly amateur visuals. I don't have anything else to say about this thing. I hated it.
Here's hoping the animators get better for season 2.

Mangetsu said:
This last episode was a prime example of these flaws. The music that started during Griffith's incarnation, it simply was horseshit.

This.

That scene was actually starting to excite me and then the reversal with that terrible shred on the guitar. Wtf, why would you?... Absolute crap letdown mental state would stay with me past it's conclusion.

The series thus far feels like the people in charge know the source material, yet secretly hate it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sarcamos12 said:
Here's hoping the animators get better for season 2.

Yeah, that'd be 1/10 steps toward something worthy of Berserk. They also need to fix the directing, choreography, editing, music, voice acting, and on and on.

Sarcamos12

King Leer
Salem said:
This.

That scene was actually starting to excite me and then the reversal with that terrible shred on the guitar. Wtf, why would you?... Absolute crap letdown mental state would stay with me past it's conclusion.

The series thus far feels like the people in charge know the source material, yet secretly hate it.
The placement of music has been pretty awful this series, one of the bigger examples is last episode when Guts is handing ever one the sticks and suddenly HAI-YO!!!!!

They even have zodd's horn cut off. but of course they skipped that several episodes ago so whatever. Wait there's going to be another season? I swear to the godhands if they fuck this shit up again. I can't even try to be positive about it.

Walter said:
Hell, the fucking ps2 cinematic looked better than how they presented his revival. And i'm still trying to finish it so i know.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gamehowitzer said:
Hell, the fucking ps2 gameclip looked better than how the presented his revival. And i'm still trying to finish it so i know.

zoddwalk.gif

Walter said:
i dont even know what to say.
When i said the ps2 cinematic looked better i meant not specifically how it looked, but the representation.
It was rather anti-climactic here. In the ps2 one it actually had him rising with his hair flowing from this white glow right? but here its just...
Its like oh hey throw some white feathers.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Watching this series has consistently wounded me time after time, but somehow I survived... until the dagger to the heart that was confirmation of another fucking season of this trash. Did this actually do well? How?!

Anyway, my brusque review of this episode: Blood and guts... and guts and blood... and blood and guts...

Such a let down.

After a few promising and halfway decent episodes, this is the finale? Garbage animation of the ooze burning up, the tower falling, and Zodd looking like a last minute afterthought.

The music was incredibly inappropriate, and felt like a 13 year old choose it to be 'hard core man.' Completely ruined several scenes. And the emphasis on Nina... why cut so many other things and yet stay brutally true to this part of the story. Nina works in the manga, but in a cinamatic medium, she drags the thing down pacing wise. It's super redundant. We get it, she's weak like we'd all be, we don't need half the episode made up of it.

And BTW how is any new viewer, or even a familiar anime viewer going to understand what the hell is happening half the time? Who is this weird looking baby? Why is Zodd missing a horn? Where is the Beherit coming from? How does Guts seemingly survive mortal injuries (elf dust is barely touched on here). These are things are complete mysteries to a non manga reader. Even someone who saw both the old anime and the movies would be in the dark. That's a pretty big fail.

And to top it all off, it looked pretty damn ugly.

Hire a new studio for the next season guys if you insist on another run of this.

The season gets a 'D-' from me overall. Some occasional episodes and moments that resonated with me well, but overshadowed by lazy art and animation, poor pacing and editing, and a tone deaf score. It makes the Golden Age Trilogy look brilliant by comparison, and I had a lot of issues with that as well.

ApostleBob said:
Such a let down.

After a few promising and halfway decent episodes, this is the finale? Garbage animation of the ooze burning up, the tower falling, and Zodd looking like a last minute afterthought.

The music was incredibly inappropriate, and felt like a 13 year old choose it to be 'hard core man.' Completely ruined several scenes. And the emphasis on Nina... why cut so many other things and yet stay brutally true to this part of the story. Nina works in the manga, but in a cinamatic medium, she drags the thing down pacing wise. It's super redundant. We get it, she's weak like we'd all be, we don't need half the episode made up of it.

And BTW how is any new viewer, or even a familiar anime viewer going to understand what the hell is happening half the time? Who is this weird looking baby? Why is Zodd missing a horn? Where is the Beherit coming from? How does Guts seemingly survive mortal injuries (elf dust is barely touched on here). These are things are complete mysteries to a non manga reader. Even someone who saw both the old anime and the movies would be in the dark. That's a pretty big fail.

And to top it all off, it looked pretty damn ugly.

Hire a new studio for the next season guys if you insist on another run of this.

The season gets a 'D-' from me overall. Some occasional episodes and moments that resonated with me well, but overshadowed by lazy art and animation, poor pacing and editing, and a tone deaf score. It makes the Golden Age Trilogy look brilliant by comparison, and I had a lot of issues with that as well.
Especially get rid of the producer. Get someone with real experience for action and emotion. Not just cute stupid comedy.
I am honestly amazed they allowed something this low in quality to be aired.

I think that with the end of the 1st season we can agree I think on the biggest offenses of the show

[1] Budget *
[2] The Director
[3] Fluctuating animation styles
[4] Composer
[5] The story & characters were turned into imitations of themselves (My God I'm loving the films more and more after slogging through this mess)

It was amateur hour during this shows production in its adaption of The Conviction Arc I wouldn't hold my breath if anyone's expecting anything different with
the announced second series and its adaption of The Millennium Falcon Arc. Look everyone has wanted to see a faithful adaption of the books since the 97
series and the reality is that its just not gonna happen until the right people come along to spearhead the project and are given a proper budget in which to
do it.

There was one thing that this series did better than it's predecessors--retain some of the goofball comedy that was sprinkled throughout the series. The 1997 toned that down heavily and the movies nearly eradicated it.

A bit ironic that it was one of the few strengths of the 2016 series.

Biggest bummer: Season 2. My god...

Sarcamos12 said:
So Griffith was spared a cg model, also Zodd looked terrible.

Silver lining there. Let's hope Season 2 keeps this trend.

Not the best episode, some shitty CGI close ups, Zodd looked like gidorah from Godzilla when he was flying... But there were some good scenes too, and I'm glad that Berserk is getting a consistent adaptation, honestly if Miura storms angrily in the studio and forces those guys to get up they're asses and animate it correctly for the next season, maybe get a better ost, and I'm gonna be satisfied

Why is Zod blue? Prior to this episode all interpretations of him have depicted him as either a brown or a rich red tone... which would be more fitting considering he's supposed to be a demon. Also he should have hair.

There's this static scene when he's taking off with Griffith on his back. He's just raising up and up and up. Nothing takes off that way. It's like he's being pulled up by strings. Ideally he should have climbed the wall and leaped into the air then took flight over the field. As it is though I'd have rather they cut the up, up, and suddenly move forward scene for just him being spotted emerging from the clouds, already in motion (it's such a shame that I have to specify the motion part in an animated show).

Metal. Guitar. Riffs. During Griffith's reappearance. Metal fucking guitar riffs. I hated those. I hated those every time I heard them. I hated them since the very beginning. And now that they played them during what was supposed to be the most pivotal moment of the entire arc, the culmination for why everything happened in Albion, and Midland, and Kushan, why so much death and suffering was sown, a moment that was so shocking and emotional for Guts that he actually forgot about his hatred for a moment as he gaped in complete awe with everyone else, my utter disgust for them has sunk so low, that I won't be able to listen to a metal song again without feeling my blood boil for at least a month.

Now that the series has ended, it's come to my attention just how one-dimensional the soundtrack is. There's not one single track devoted to expressing quiet emotion, sadness, or contemplation. There's no equivalent to Earth or Guts' Theme. Everything is always about ACTION! HORROR! TERROR! FEAR! And this is only one of the problems it has. Truth is, this series crossed a threshold. It's no longer a case of me hating it. I'm insulted by it. I'm insulted that people that were supposed to be paid professionals thought this was acceptable to release. I'm insulted that there are viewers who think this is acceptable to watch. I'm insulted that this manga, which is so masterfully crafted in its storytelling, art and characterization, is dragged through the mud so horridly, while completely shitty shonens, moe fanservice and even hentai are given royal treatment. And that people are actually fine with this!

I was planning on saying that the best thing about this series is that it was finally over. But even that won't be happening.

Walter said:
And amateur direction, and amateur sound design, and amateur voice acting, and amateur cinematography, and...what wasn't amateur hackwork here?

Cyrus Jong said:
Metal. Guitar. Riffs. During Griffith's reappearance. Metal fucking guitar riffs. I hated those. I hated those every time I heard them.
:ganishka: they mixed some guitar with the blood and guts track, which is not a bad track, just shouldn't have been used in this scene. the one i hate the most is the music that plays when the bakiraka shows up, specifically that screech (violin?) sound, shit sounds horrible.

Cyrus Jong said:
I'm insulted that there are viewers who think this is acceptable to watch.
a lot of people on reddit are legit excited for the next season...just......why??
Cyrus Jong said:
I was planning on saying that the best thing about this series is that it was finally over. But even that won't be happening.
:judo:

Top Bottom