2017 Berserk TV Series (Season 2)

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Sareth said:
Fucking Guts and Zodd fighting sounds like they're smacking pots and pans together

And the return of HAI YOOOOO

What bothered me the most about the fight was that they keep staying at the same place. No movement other then the Swords and the clangs. They were as static as Griffith and Zodd during their flight... Otherwise it was not as bad as I would have expected (well for this kind of adaptation anyway, since we already know what kind of horror we'll get). i guess this is what happens when you don't have any expectations at all.

I couldn't finish the first one because I'm not in a Wi-Fi zone for the moment so I can't comment past the scene with Puck thinking about what to do now...

A few thoughts

-That horrific image of Griffiths maniacal grin wasn't off putting at all, I don't remember Neo Griffith ever pulling a ridiculous joker grin, but that's because that hack Miura wastes his time with things like subtlety and ambiguity
-I was under the impression that the mysterious laughter in the forest was an obscure sound that could be mistaken for rustling branches, but I guess the trees literally erupt with laughter
-I'm glad they didn't pause on the well known Zodd transformation scene for too long, because we're treated to an even better still of him from the front, where he looks like a toy
-It turns out the God Hand don't cause brands to bleed profusely, it just causes blood to spurt out once like a burst ketchup packet, at least the agonizing pain only last for a second

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
MrFlibble said:
-I was under the impression that the mysterious laughter in the forest was an obscure sound that could be mistaken for rustling branches, but I guess the trees literally erupt with laughter

It's the creature hiding in the trees that laughs, same as the manga.

-It turns out the God Hand don't cause brands to bleed profusely, it just causes blood to spurt out once like a burst ketchup packet,

It's as if Griffith stepped on the brand it popped like a zit.

Summary of the tweets I made during the first two eps. I've bolded the parts that stuck out to me:

They chose "fairy" instead of "elf." For info, in Berserk when yousei (妖精) is used, the furigana traditionally spells out elf. So, will it be Fairyhelm?

They depict Zodd as if he's rising from the forest instead of just zooming overhead. Weird fucking jazz music, too. Can somebody get this crooning old woman out of the studio? We're recording a soundtrack.

Opening moments have the same problems of directing. Too much camera movement, confusing action and on-screen elements.

I like the opening. Flashes of a few scenes, troll attack on Enoch. Will this once again be the highlight of the series?

Just like the crowds at Albion, CG copy+paste evident in repeating swords on the Hill of Swords. Also the animator's understanding of distance between characters is ridiculous. Guts runs for about 30 seconds towards Griffith before striking. He was like, 3m feet away.

hillofswords1.gif

LIGHTNING EFFECTS when Guts and Zodd's swords strike? Are they elemental weapons? Is this Zelda: BotW? Confirmed: Dragon Slayer is glowing blue, folks. Elemental weapon.

When Guts and Zodd move, it sounds like trees are collapsing. Is that supposed to be the sound of snow under their feet?

C80ZjJrXsAAwwrv.jpg:large

Zodd's body looks RIDICULOUS.

zoddguts1.png
zoddguts2.png

HAI YO plays as Guts is tossed like a ragdoll. A truly heroic beatdown of our main character.

Completely missed opportunity when Griffith protects Casca. He's supposed to appear in an instant, emphasizing his power. That's like, the point. But the reveal here happens very slowly...

The dead-eyed effect on the characters seems more pronounced in this episode. Rickert in particular. Dude needs some work.

First episode covers 179-184. Speedy progress. Didn't feel too rushed though.

Hang on, ep 2 starts with Schierke's vision of the aftermath of Shet, apostles bowing to Griffith, etc. But they don't SHOW it happening? Wtf?

Art overall seems improved. I always wondered if the Albion crowd scenes ate up their budget. Smaller cast, less of a problem perhaps?

C80eRmPXgAAvv4j.jpg

Hah! When Puck is talking about his home, they actually show the spiritual tree in Elfhelm — an advanced tease not in the manga.

New voice for the Beast of Darkness. Smaller, like a child (because it's small now), but overlayed with a deeper one.

C80e-YcXkAA5mHu.jpg

Stretched texture on the Beast looks awful, like a PS2 game.

Wasted opportunity, showing the comical way that child Farnese mistreats Serpico aross 3 scenes in about 16 frames of animation.

Woof, they really don't stick the landing on the most emotional moment of F+S' background story. Basically: MOVE ALONG NOW, NOTHING TO SEE

BLAD AND Guts plays during Guts' possession. It's as overbearing as possible.

No wait, lovely jazz music plays while Guts is assaulting Casca. MY BAD.

Country music guitar and strong use of wah-wah pedal when Isidro appears. Just like Isidro!

Also, they edited out most of Guts/Beast's assault of Casca. No mutilation or dismemberment. Bites her breast, Guts wakes up.

Welp. 2 episodes in, this animation remains the worst way to experience #Berserk. I'm still not sure who it's for.

Aaaaaand it's rushed as fuck. Oh boy. No apostles swearing loyalty to Griffith. Lots of details lost in Serpico and Farnese's backstory and Guts traveling with Casca. Serpico being Federico's bastard and Farnese's half-brother is barely acknowledged. No bird burning. The transition from Farnese being sent away for setting the mansion on fire to becoming commander of the HICKs was super abrupt. It literally goes from her dad saying he can't deal with her to her leading a charge. Then suddenly there is Serpico's mom tied to the post. And there is almost no build up from the time Guts strangles Casca to when he sexually assaults her. He strangles her, he ties her up, she escapes and nearly gets raped by the bandits, Guts finds her and bites her boob. Then Puck brings Isidro, Serpico, and Farnese. Second episode ends like Episode 190 with Farnese kneeling and asking Guts to let her join him. So in two episodes we go from 177-190. Ugh.

Awkward and unfitting soundtrack remains!

The only "improvements" I noticed with the CG is that they seemed to have gone back and touched up Guts and Farnese's faces. They look just a bit better.

Edit: Looks like they modified the shader, too. Now instead of characters just just having 2 tones (light and shadow) they now have 3 ( light, middle, and shadow). So that gives more depth to the models instead of completely flattening out when they are in shadow. Wish they had dumped that stupid hatching filter, though.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
I forgot this was even happening. Guess I'll fire up the ole Crunchyroll sub (against better judgement) and see what the dumpster fire is all about.

jackson_hurley

Walter said:
Wasted opportunity, showing the comical way that child Farnese mistreats Serpico aross 3 scenes in about 16 frames of animation.

Yeah, it looks like they wanted to get over it as soon as possible. Might as well take it out if you're gonna rush it like that. I had no problem understanding that part because I know the manga but for new comers...

I can't believe i'm saying this, but this is actually even worse than the previous season, even worse than the movies.... i didn't think this was even possible. I can find a major flaw in every single second of this monstrosity.

Who i really feel bad for though is Miura. I must say i've never seen such an abyssal discrepancy in quality between an original work and an adaptation. He doesn't deserves this, not after what he has created. I don't think it's fair that the greatest manga ever gets treated like this, when COUNTLESS other bland shonen and seinen series received far better adaptations.
What the fuck is wrong with the animation industry?

Sareth said:
Is it bad that I want a season 3 just for the sake of providing us with another couple of months of goofy shit?

I understand what you mean xD, this travesty cracked me up too. But i don't know if i wanted Berserk's name sullied any more than it already was. I'd personally prefer that it would end with this season.

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
I was feeling dead inside already as i just saw GitS 2017 (3/10), so Berserk eps. 13-14 were only the 2nd worst adaptation of beloved source material for today.
The OP went from being the worst such thing i ever saw to looking and sounding like a Bleach reboot. Success? The ED exist, i guess. The eps. themselves were in a word incompetent but unoffensive. They delivered worse before and them being stacked only proves that they mostly spend time on a hard drive for 3 month. The studio ultimately got simple enough chapters to speed though cliff-notes style but that can´t be said for what´s coming... The somewhat better sound everything (outside of a few VAs, poor :beast: ) is an "improvement" but the editing has borderline reached an all time low. 4/10

Is a picture blog covering this, as i want to switch over.

Sancho said:
I understand what you mean xD, this travesty cracked me up too. But i don't know if i wanted Berserk's name sullied any more than it already was. I'd personally prefer that it would end with this season.

Yeah, I'd never recommend this series to anyone who hasn't read the manga. But while I think the show is total ass and it makes me mad how it treats certain scenes and characters, I like that post-Golden Age Berserk getting more exposure because I prefer that portion of the manga more.

I think I also just want them to blueball the anime-only folks by ending the series with the squad getting on the Seahorse.

jackson_hurley

Walter said:
1-They chose "fairy" instead of "elf." For info, in Berserk when yousei (妖精) is used, the furigana traditionally spells out elf.

2- Zodd's body looks RIDICULOUS.

3- ep 2 starts with Schierke's vision of the aftermath of Shet, apostles bowing to Griffith, etc. But they don't SHOW it happening?

4- Art overall seems improved. I always wondered if the Albion crowd scenes ate up their budget. Smaller cast, less of a problem perhaps?

1- well at least the subtitles read "elf" and not "fairy"

2- I agree

3-It will most likely happen next episode as half seen in the preview. Or badly mix with another scene.... :???: Remember how they miserably switch some episode last season? I won't be surprised to see that happening again.

4- I also found some improvement in the art.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
1- well at least the subtitles read "elf" and not "fairy"

Not when Nico says it at the beginning of the ep, which is what I was commenting on. And in the manga there, it's yosei.

jackson_hurley

Walter said:
Not when Nico says it at the beginning of the ep, which is what I was commenting on. And in the manga there, it's yosei.

I missed that one! Sorry.

But thanx for clearing that up. I don't understand a lot of japanese other then a few words. :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
After letting the episodes percolate in my brain for a while, I think what bothered me the most was the Hill of Swords battle. This is my favorite fight in the series, but it was reduced to this lazy, hack-and-slash nonsense:

hillofswords1.gif
hillofswords2.gif

What made this fight amazing in the manga was the choreography, the perceived motion of Guts and Zodd between the panels as they dodged these attacks -- where even one blow could be fatal. Instead, we get barely any of that. We get an extended version of the 1-2 panels where it does indeed appear to be a whirlwind of attacks being quickly parried. CLANGclangCLANGclangCLANGclang while dialogue is overlaid.

Serpico and Farnese's backstory, they basically shouldn't have even bothered with it. They afforded these characters a perfunctory half episode. But brevity alone doesn't ruin it. It's the almost mathematical precision at which it ignored the big moments -- giving equal weight to the moments of setup as the culminating moments. As a result, there is no emotion in the scenes that are supposed to be the most memorable, because the director brusquely moves forward, his eyes on the runtime.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Gamehowitzer said:
i had to turn off episode one 5 minutes in. Zodd vs Guts wasnt a fight, its a fucking clang off.

I felt as if I was watching an episode of Dragonball Z, not a swordfight between 2 master swordsman

jackson_hurley

DANGERDOOOOM said:
I felt as if I was watching an episode of Dragonball Z, not a swordfight between 2 master swordsman

To be honest I find the fights in Dragonball better then this one.

Like Walter said, the manga illustrates this fight in an incredible way as in the show its just static and doesn't give you the stressful and dire sense of the situation.

Each time I'm getting to that part in a reread, I always take a lot of time on that fight because I admire the way it's portrayed.

PERFECT...

They already ruined my favorite duel in the series.... WTF did I just watch? Guts and Zodd both look like standing on the same place and they barley move... and all i can hear is "CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG"... i mean all this rant about the clang and yet they still plan to use it?

I swear to god BERSERK PS2 made this far better and much more exciting than this
https://youtu.be/JU94Xs8sr2Q

Also the timing of music still not fitting

Tell me why tell me why tell me why Berserk didnt get good adoption :sad:

Gamehowitzer said:
You know sareth, your profile picture is perfect every time.

LOL Yeah, it does make a fitting reaction to such a QUALITY anime

Edit: Went skimming some anime forums to see what non-readers think and geez, the Farnese hate is real.

Top Bottom