2017 Berserk TV Series (Season 2)

Who's the target audience? That's what I'd like to know. Most Berserk fans hate it, and I can't see this attracting many newcomers like the '97 anime & GA trilogy did.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Doc said:
Who's the target audience? That's what I'd like to know. Most Berserk fans hate it, and I can't see this attracting many newcomers like the '97 anime & GA trilogy did.

As always, I think the intent is just to have Berserk's name out there on a recurring basis — a media bump to increase awareness of the series. That's evident from the fact that Hakusensha has based its release schedule for volumes, new episodes, and even the Japanese release of the Musou game around the TV series' schedule. As is apparent to everyone at this point, the Berserk partners just chose the wrong team to deal with. It was probably a decision made with budget in mind, not quality, and we can see how that ended.

Since the ending of the 2016 series, the question has remained: Will we see anything animated beyond this in the near future? At what point does the bad reception catch up to the people making the decisions for the property ?

Walter said:
Someone on Reddit asked, and I can confirm: Grunbeld's hammer bends BEFORE the DS hits.

Upon closer inspection, it actually appears to bend multiple times in this scene. I'd call this the last straw, but :ganishka:

I think you're looking at this from the wrong angle: it's not poor animation, it's just a reflection of Guts' true powers. You see, the animators actually got Guts right. :troll:

By the way, every post I read in this thread validates my decision to stop watching this show when season one ended.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
m said:
By the way, every post I read in this thread validates my decision to stop watching this show when season one ended.

Only masochists have stuck around. I take pleasure in the cringy animation and rushed dialogue. :carcus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I uh... oh boy, this episode.

serpico-decap.gif

makara-fatass.gif

makara-eye.gif

Ultros-ffvi-ios.png

beast-chomp.gif

beast-infection.gif

beast-slowmo.gif

beast-vision.gif

croc-drag.gif

schierke-is-a-boy.gif

schierke-is-a-boy2.gif

To expound a bit:

Voice actors and animators conspired to ruin the interplay between Guts and Schierke at the beach. This is partially aided by them never letting Guts express anything but Robocop's personality and tone

"The fairyland to which you travel, and the fairy king who waits there ... Their name is Hanafubuku"

"Your hope may not always be her hope."

The Moonlight Boy is completely omitted. Who saves Guts then? Schierke.

No mention of the effects of the full moon having an effect on Guts' mind.

When Serpico takes out the kushan guys, he actualyl decapitates them with the feather sword -- not the wind. The actual feather.

Ganishka's fog from the kushans emits a lightning sound.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
"The fairyland to which you travel, and the fairy king who waits there ... Their name is Hanafubuku"

It's not like we're not used to seeing shitty translations of Berserk float around, but this is a new low. It's pathetic. :miura:

Walter said:
"Your hope may not always be her hope."

Jesus, what a shitshow. Thanks for submitting yourself to this so that I don't have to. This adaptation is a personal affront to any real fan of the series.

Walter said:

Of course, why bother wasting time on such an unimportant character? It would only disrupt the flow of the story!

...:mozgus:

Walter said:
When Serpico takes out the kushan guys, he actually decapitates them with the feather sword -- not the wind. The actual feather.

:ganishka: At some point I guess it really does become comical. Once the outrage and anger have worn off, after even the sadness and embarrassment are gone, all that's left is laughter than turns to tears.

Walter said:

:schierke:

Seems what little heart the studios had making this shit stain they think is an adaptation just isn't there anymore. I notice a number of people on Reddit are speculating that it's a sign that the series won't be getting another season. I really, really, really hope that's true.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Cyrus Jong said:
I notice a number of people on Reddit are speculating that it's a sign that the series won't be getting another season. I really, really, really hope that's true.

I think that's a poor premise to base on scenario that seems likely in any case. The boy could have been included pretty easily here.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
Jesus, what a shitshow. Thanks for submitting yourself to this so that I don't have to. This adaptation is a personal affront to any real fan of the series.

I could not agree more about that.

I was pretty disappointed about the moonlight boy not being present. Like Walter said, he could have easily been introduced in that episode...

Megabummer time :/

Only one more to go before the disaster ends, right?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
Only one more to go before the disaster ends, right?

Yep, and I have utterly no idea how they plan to end this. The next logical ending point isn't for another 4 volumes (Volume 32: Setting Sail). Given the track record, I suppose it's possible they'll just roll into Vritannis, let Schierke have her scene with Sonia (confirmed in the preview) then head to the docks and sail away. Or just end it abruptly with then in Vritannis looking for a ship? Would be terrible...

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
Given the track record, I suppose it's possible they'll just roll into Vritannis, let Schierke have her scene with Sonia (confirmed in the preview) then head to the docks and sail away.

If that happens I might puke. I've been mostly tolerant so far about that series (I don't even know why to be honest) even though the numerous mistakes and changes. But that would be some kind of a last straw. It's already borderline for me considering they did not introduced the boy. Sad sad times.

I'll rejoice knowing I'm gonna pick up last episode's Young animal after work. And gonna order vol39 + ep351. It'll be some kind of a consolation to wash my eyes with pure awesome visuals and storytelling by the master himself. (the only thing that matters anyway) :guts:

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
This week´s ep. was more coherent that the last, at least in the first half, so a 3/10 is it´s reward.
I am back for something else though, even if Walter has the same hunch. I am putting in writing that the gang will just board the Seahorse after they meet Sonia. Roderick may have a cameo as the captain, or not, but the 2012 promise of adapting on the whole series (to that point), at least Gut´s side, will be complete then. No loosing face or anything for the producers, as they gave us what we all wanted! …right :judo:? Musou didn´t give a shit about establishing the Kushan forces, or Griffith ´s side either (why was Laban even in No.22?) and our favorite mystery boy was missing too.
If the superior told game, even in the rushed 2nd half, can´t bother to properly “earn” the boat, then why should this anime?

We may lastly get Griffith on the cliff staring down Guts during the credits, with text over the scene. Because that´s how you adapt key scenes :troll: .

Being honest i don't care at this point anymore. Whatever way they chose to end this pile of dogshit, just let the next episode be the last. That's all i want.

Im moreso interested into how YA will keep on releasing the Manga in the future considering that the series always came back at the start of a new season.

I think I was a little less critical than most of the first season, which was awful. In any event I haven't watched a single episode of the second season. Sometimes not watching is ok. Why must most Berserk spinoffs SUCK?!

Walter said:
Someone on Reddit asked, and I can confirm: Grunbeld's hammer bends BEFORE the DS hits.

grunbeld-bend.gif

Upon closer inspection, it actually appears to bend multiple times in this scene. I'd call this the last straw, but :ganishka:

The swing is so powerful that the wind generated by the force bend it :ganishka:

However bad this season is , its still better than the first as it cant get any worse than the starting episode I believe, btw iis this gonna end next episode too?

I never realized just how bad the pacing was until i saw this episode. I haven't read back through the manga in a while but i feel like a huge chunk is missing from between the previous episode and the current. Anyone able to confirm?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gamehowitzer said:
I never realized just how bad the pacing was until i saw this episode. I haven't read back through the manga in a while but i feel like a huge chunk is missing from between the previous episode and the current. Anyone able to confirm?

The apostles assault on Wyndham and Ganishka's introduction were cut entirely. That includes Silat and the Tapasa finding Ganishka's daka chamber.

Damn! Reading all these posts shocks me. I wasn't up on the communities response to this anime at all, personally I love it!!!

I'm not new to the manga. Picked it up in 2007 and been running with it ever since. Watched the 1997 anime twice and the film trilogy.

I'm actually really really enjoying this season. Every time that music play and Guts swings his sword and carves up monsters I get goose pimples!!

I love the music, the SFX, the CGI, the character designs, the monsters. For sure, of course it could be better if a studio like Madhouse picked it up, but after having no anime for 20 years and dealing with numerous hiatuses, I'm just so pleased to be able to see my favourite characters animated, coloured and voiced!!

I don't know when this season will end, but I really hope they do Guts and Zodd vs Ganishka!! I'll admit they've taken liberties with the source material, omitting important scenes and changing the sequence of some events, but I can see their doing it to make it more coherent and comprehensible for casual viewers. I had to re-read some chapters, and ever entire volumes 3/4 times to actually understand what was going on.

By comparison the anime is very easy to follow.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
kanji said:
I'm just so pleased to be able to see my favourite characters animated, coloured and voiced!!

That's a pretty low bar to clear. And this adaptation certainly passes these hurdles: Things move on screen, they're in color and people voice the characters. There's even music (at least 4 tracks!).

don't know when this season will end,

All indications are that it will end next episode.

i'll admit they've taken liberties with the source material, omitting important scenes and changing the sequence of some events, but I can see their doing it to make it more coherent and comprehensible for casual viewers. I had to re-read some chapters, and ever entire volumes 3/4 times to actually understand what was going on.

I genuinely don't understand how anyone could look at the awful pacing, the wholesale disregard or ignorance of key scenes, and say this improves on what Miura had done.

Toilet paper instructions are easy to follow too. So they dumbed down Berserk and this is somehow praiseworthy?

Walter said:
The apostles assault on Wyndham and Ganishka's introduction were cut entirely. That includes Silat and the Tapasa finding Ganishka's daka chamber.

This, along with the Moonlight Boy being cut, definitely suggests there aren't any plans for more, if that wasn't already apparent. Man, what a mess. Good riddance.

kanji said:
I love the music, the SFX, the CGI

I can't believe anyone could honestly say this. :magni:

kanji said:
I had to re-read some chapters, and ever entire volumes 3/4 times to actually understand what was going on.

Which parts were so confusing to you exactly? It's fairly straightforward...

kanji said:

I don't think this adaptation will make anything easier to understand for the casual viewer. In fact, it would likely have the opposite effect.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'd just like to say that I'm proud to still have never watched any Berserk related animations after that first Golden Age movie all those years ago. I feel so bad for everyone that has been forcing themselves to sit through this just because it's Berserk related, especially the admins.

Walter said:
I genuinely don't understand how anyone could look at the awful pacing, the wholesale disregard or ignorance of key scenes, and say this improves on what Miura had done.

For the record I wouldn't once say that I'd prefer this over the manga. It's certainly no improvement on Miura's work. All I will say is it's entertaining for what it is and imho doesn't deserve the bashing it's receiving. It's my go-to anime of the season and I would be disappointed if it isn't renewed.

Rupert Sinclair said:
Which parts were so confusing to you exactly? It's fairly straightforward...

To be honest I had a hard time following the underlying story of the demon child, the events with the Egg of the Perfect World, the rebirth of Griffith and the appearance of The Boy and how they are all related (or not). Perhaps a lot of it was due to reading bad translations back in 2008. Either way I found the anime dumbed it down significantly enough to make it easier for me to understand.

Sorry. But the last thing to say is "CGI" of this anime is good. It's not even half good if u ask me. Compare it to the golden age movies cgi which was not that good as well but it's still 50 times better than this crap.
Animes should just never use 3D models. They can't do it perfectly at all..
Watching this anime and then going back to 1997 Berserk anime seeing Guts Black Swordsman design is just makes u want to cry for not having a new anime with a very great Guts design like 1997
And how much the CGI anime ruined two of the best Berserk arcs. Not to mention the crappy direction.

The Berserk games (Musou) and PS2 has the best CGI designs if u ask me.but the 2016 and 17 animes? Hell no. Not even close...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
I'd just like to say that I'm proud to still have never watched any Berserk related animations after that first Golden Age movie all those years ago.

As you should be. This was – and still is – the wisest course of action.

Top Bottom