Vol 3 / 14 Sanity check

Hey all,

I did a quick search of the site but I didn't see anything obvious. Common sense tells me that the Black swordsman arc fits chronologically roughly somewhere in the 2 years after the eclipse before lost children and conviction. However, I was wondering if anyone knew exactly where it fit in because it always seemed like a really big event to me during the fight with the count where he encounters the god hand again. I don't remember seeing anywhere else in the story that really refers to that event (which seems pretty notable as I think it's one of the very few times he's seen femto since the eclipse).

I guess it must be the case that it happened somewhere before lost children but I just found it odd that there is no mention of it as the story continues and guts heads off to slice up some more apostles.

Cheers,
-Arc

What's there to talk about? Guts saw Femto (and the rest of the God Hand) for the first time since the Eclipse, tried to kill him, and failed. Don't see why this is worth dwelling on for a guy so intensely task-oriented as Guts, and he's not the type to talk about it to other people.

It has been indirectly referenced, though. Puck recalls seeing the God Hand (and visualizes them in chibi form) in Volume 15, and he wonders what they did to make Guts as hateful as he is.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Arc said:
Common sense tells me that the Black swordsman arc fits chronologically roughly somewhere in the 2 years after the eclipse before lost children and conviction.

Yes.

Arc said:
However, I was wondering if anyone knew exactly where it fit in

Not exactly, no. Just that it's within that time frame.

Arc said:
I don't remember seeing anywhere else in the story that really refers to that event (which seems pretty notable as I think it's one of the very few times he's seen femto since the eclipse).

In addition to what Cyrus pointed out, I would say that the first appearance of the Beast of Darkness has a reference to it. We see Guts lying down, helplessly reaching for an ominous, unattainable Femto that towers over him.

Right, ok that makes sense. I suppose with his constant struggle at this point he doesn't have time to reflect like he did in the golden age arc after clashing with zodd.

I am personally a big fan of the scenes with introspective guts and the tautological epiphanies he has (didn't realize what he had till he lost it, etc). I believe the next time we see that sort of reflection (post eclipse) is after the dream when Godo chews him out and he resets his focus around Casca.

Sorry, my thoughts have kind of derailed from my original question at this point, thanks for the info fellas.

-Arc

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Arc said:
I am personally a big fan of the scenes with introspective guts and the tautological epiphanies he has (didn't realize what he had till he lost it, etc). I believe the next time we see that sort of reflection (post eclipse) is after the dream when Godo chews him out and he resets his focus around Casca.

We see a number of introspective scenes during the Conviction arc, even during the Chapter of the Lost Children.

Of course your right, seems they are a lot more frequent than I had realized. I suppose it makes sense with how isolated guts typically is. He rarely talks to anyone that isn't a monster :p wish I had a paper copy of these volumes to review. Soontm.

Top Bottom