Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Salem said:
I can not get behind or understand the raving amazement for All Star Superman. Of all the critically acclaimed stories, that one has me scratching my head. I'd take watchmen over that any day of the week. Even TDKR is better written, though the art is atrocious. I'd put Kindom Come as the king as far as D.C. Is concerned.

Did you even read All Star Superman?

Salem said:
There any news on the next trailer for TLJ?

We literally just got one. Don't expect to see it until later this year.

Johnstantine said:
Did you even read All Star Superman?

We literally just got one. Don't expect to see it until later this year.

I own All Star Superman. In fact that's one of the only graphic novels I really didn't enjoy. Idk, just really don't see the fuss behind it. Red Son, Earth One, even Death Of over that any day. Supes really isn't my cup of tea, so there is that. I'd love to upload a pic of all my graphic novels, but I truly suck at getting that done on here vs the easy way on social media.

Ah c'mon, that was a "teaser." :ganishka: Thought there was another convention soon.

Griffith said:
In other Last Jedi news today: Rian Johnson doesn't just move scars across faces, it was also his request that R2-D2 accompany Rey to see Luke instead of BB-8, who now goes with Poe. The question is: why would it have ever been otherwise, other than all the BB-8 marketing? On that note, why not just have R2 be in Poe's possession in the first place? How much would that have changed your perception of the movie? Would people bitch even more about it being a ANH clone, or just go, "FUCK IT, R2 IS BACK! STAAAR WAAARS!!"

I haven't been following the development of TLJ so I'm coming from a place of pure ignorance, but is it wrong of me to take that as a (admittedly very small) sign that this movie might be headed in the right direction? While Jar Jar Abrams was yukking it up about wanting to put Jar Jar Bink's skull on Jakku, Rian Johnson was running around making sure TFA didn't hinder his chances of making a great Star Wars film.

Based solely on this revelation, I'm calling it now: TLJ will be the best Star Wars film ever made, leaving ESB in its dust. :troll:

God I hope that's true. :sad:

Griffith said:
Shadows of the Empire was a big one for me. I don't know how embarassing that is because I haven't read it since middle school, but I remember there was a sexy robot assassin that bones a lizard man so probably very much. On the bright side, it continued the character development of Luke and Vader from Empire in ways Jedi sort of passed over; Luke becoming more like a Jedi and Vader wrestling with his identity and place in the galaxy.

I've always felt like I've been missing out on some great things the EU has produced, but I just can't tolerate the silly side of the EU enough to get to it. I love the idea of a book that develops Luke and Vader more, but the "anything goes" nature of the EU kills it for me. (Although everyone raves about the Thrawn books so I might have to check those out.)

That's why I was optimistic about the Disney era books. If these books are canon then one would imagine they'd put a gentleman's effort into their quality. But so far that doesn't appear to be the case.

Griffith said:
Oh yeah? Because that's a pretty attractive argument, "Erase the prequels from your memories; it was only a bad dream!" :ganishka:

:ganishka:

Eluvei said:
For the record, my favorite episode was probably the one involving the Jedi kids trying to find those crystals in that cavern so they could build those light sabers. I can't remember much of it though, only that when it ended, I said to myself, "this was fine."

MgWSyog.gif

Skeleton said:
I haven't been following the development of TLJ so I'm coming from a place of pure ignorance, but is it wrong of me to take that as a (admittedly very small) sign that this movie might be headed in the right direction?

I take that as a sign that Colin Trevorrow is calling Johnson right now demanding some changes to make sure TLJ doesn't hinder his chances of making a real shitty movie.

Skeleton said:

What, that's the wrong episode to enjoy in the critically acclaimed prequel trilogy tie-in cartoon? :iva:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Skeleton said:
I haven't been following the development of TLJ so I'm coming from a place of pure ignorance, but is it wrong of me to take that as a (admittedly very small) sign that this movie might be headed in the right direction? While Jar Jar Abrams was yukking it up about wanting to put Jar Jar Bink's skull on Jakku, Rian Johnson was running around making sure TFA didn't hinder his chances of making a great Star Wars film.

It sure doesn't hurt. Though, I really don't like that they moved the scar so dramatically, to the point that it couldn't conceivably have been the result of the wound in the previous movie. I'm fine with them fudging it, but just move it off his nose, not from the bridge to somehow over his eye (which I'm pretty sure would have blinded him in any case =). Also, it's just the most cliche of bad guy scars and far too thin and dainty. I like the head-canon theory that he healed it and then did a cooler scar himself. =)

Skeleton said:
Based solely on this revelation, I'm calling it now: TLJ will be the best Star Wars film ever made, leaving ESB in its dust. :troll:

God I hope that's true. :sad:

No way this can end poorly for you. :slan:

Skeleton said:
I've always felt like I've been missing out on some great things the EU has produced, but I just can't tolerate the silly side of the EU enough to get to it. I love the idea of a book that develops Luke and Vader more, but the "anything goes" nature of the EU kills it for me. (Although everyone raves about the Thrawn books so I might have to check those out.)

The bottom line is, good or bad, it's all disposable.

Eluvei said:
I take that as a sign that Colin Trevorrow is calling Johnson right now demanding some changes to make sure TLJ doesn't hinder his chances of making a real shitty movie.
Eluvei said:
What, that's the wrong episode to enjoy in the critically acclaimed prequel trilogy tie-in cartoon? :iva:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7dFMbubxr4

Eluvei said:

That's who's directing Episode 9?! Well that's. . . uh. . . Fuck.

Eluvei said:

You can enjoy whatever you want.

Griffith said:
It sure doesn't hurt. Though, I really don't like that they moved the scar so dramatically, to the point that it couldn't conceivably have been the result of the wound in the previous movie. I'm fine with them fudging it, but just move it off his nose, not from the bridge to somehow over his eye (which I'm pretty sure would have blinded him in any case =). Also, it's just the most cliche of bad guy scars and far too thin and dainty. I like the head-canon theory that he healed it and then did a cooler scar himself. =)

I just reread my post and realized I didn't clarify what I was talking about. I was talking solely about his R2D2 request.

Griffith

Skeleton said:
That's who's directing Episode 9?! Well that's. . . uh. . . Fuck.

You didn't know that!? Talk about a spoiler, huh. :carcus:

Skeleton said:
I just reread my post and realized I didn't clarify what I was talking about. I was talking solely about his R2D2 request.

That's fine, I was jumping off from the general "Johnson seems to know what he's doing" point. I do appreciate that he's boldly returning harmless cosmetic continuity errors to Star Wars, no special edition necessary. =)

Griffith

JMP said:

Some pretty cool shots in there, particularly this, potentially VERY SPOILERIFIC, set photo:

http://media.vanityfair.com/photos/59245798b2306f2287537fcf/master/w_1440,c_limit/star-wars-portfolio-06-2017-ss08.jpg

But I actually dig them all except the "formal" ones and maybe the one of Luke and Rey (not bad, but not particularly good either), otherwise they're all pretty flattering to their subjects. Again, also weird that I'm experiencing Luke Skywalker again almost exclusively through marketing and merchandising.

Griffith

Pretty cool, but the whole
"raw powah!"
thing is a bit overwrought, and of course it spoiled the whole movie. :ganishka:

Griffith

Skeleton said:
I like that they put Carrie Fisher in the center of the poster. A nice gesture.

I mean, she is Princess General fucking Leia, and it's not like they gave her the extra large top spot like Luke. =)

MiyamotoPuck said:
It looks better than the previous one in my opinion. We'll see.

Yeah... it's all pretty general in that trailer so I hope there's meat on them bones. It can't live off being a successful revival in itself like the last did with some aplomb. Now it has to stand on its own and I'm not sure this whole
raw power/grey Jedi
thing is that inherently interesting to me, so we'll have to see what they actually do with it.

Griffith said:
Pretty cool, but the whole
"raw powah!"
thing is a bit overwrought, and of course it spoiled the whole movie. :ganishka:

They spoiled a tiny bit, but I also look at trailers and assume all the twists they hint at won't happen. Like if the trailer had a bleak Luke Skywalker igniting his lightsaber and saying, "I'm sorry...", then the trailer cuts to a scene of a Jedi with a surprised look on their face in a somewhat comparable location, and then it cuts back to Luke swinging his lightsaber, I guarantee you Luke is not attacking that Jedi :ganishka:

It varies by context, but I've gotten a bit of an eye for details in trailers in the past few years. It actually does me a disservice because my mind picks up on things I'd rather it not, which is why I haven't really read into this movie's trailer. Because I know I'll end up picking up one one detail and then when it comes time to watch the movie it'll be stuck in my mind and I'll just be waiting for that part to come, reducing my overall enjoyment of the film.

Griffith

It had a few nice ideas and moments, but also some that laughably flopped, and ultimately the payoffs underwhwlmed or disappointed me. I felt like all the charm of the new characters was gone and we were just left with their 1-dimensional selves cosplaying Star Wars like they were trying to avoid. All in all, it didn't really bother me or live up to my expectations of what it could be, I'm just sort of dispassionately ambivalent.

The most potential laid with the Kylo/Luke/Rey connection, specifically that dark recollection of Luke from Kylo's POV; they should have just had Luke go dark side instead of... Lukewarm and uninvolved. I will say, the shot of him walking out and confronting those AT-ATs was the best imagery in the movie and iconically done, but ultimately hollow and another example of just overwrought force powers, like Super Leia (there was actually a little prequel in this one's DNA, not the dopey action so much as dopey recitation of Star Warsy lines). I could go on forever second guessing all this stuff, but eh. Hey, I called Ren killing off Snoke to be Supreme Leader! But he still sucked after. =)

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Agreed on all ends with you. Not sure how I feel about this movie yet.

Yoda was also the big highlight for me. Loved that his behavior with Luke went unchanged. Followed by the sudden Luke-going-bye bye scene left me salty. Beautiful way sure. But still. Maybe holding onto Luke for almost 40 years have something to do with that lol.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
My expectations have been appropriately leveled :sad: I'll probably get a chance to see it this weekend, but if not, it'll be another week.

Griffith

Nomad said:
Agreed on all ends with you. Not sure how I feel about this movie yet.

It's not bad, but it doesn't really go anywhere either and pretty much ends where it basically could/should have started (and all the non-Luke/Rey/Kylo stuff, which was a lot of the 2.5 hours, wasn't interesting anyway and could have been chopped way down). I'm not sure what everyone is creaming their pants over. The Empire/middle chapter hype does not apply; what made that movie great is it deepened the characters and their relationships, not so here. I was neither thrilled nor offended by the film overall, "I'm not mad, just disappointed in you." :carcus:

Nomad said:
Yoda was also the big highlight for me. Loved that his behavior with Luke went unchanged. Followed by the sudden Luke-going-bye bye scene left me salty. Beautiful way sure. But still. Maybe holding onto Luke for almost 40 years have something to do with that lol.

The tree scene was a weird moment, it provided the missing irreverent side of Yoda, but to the point of surreal self-satire (like was I watching new Star Wars or Spaceballs?). They basically just admit the force is a bunch of super thin BS they're either just re-recycling old dialogue for or making up as they go along, and that's why anyone can be a Jedi-like person or do anything one minute and nothing the next. So, while I did appreciate the underlying spirit of the scene (the Jedi are BS but that's not what matters), overall I didn't love or think it necessary for Yoda to show up and go all Reverend Lovejoy, "Luke, have you ever read this thing? Technically, we're not allowed to go to bathroom."

As for Luke... it's like they still never did figure out what to do with him. So, they kind of did nothing with him while trying to fulfill all our fan-tasies (bitter and maybe dark, grizzly teacher, Super Saiyan badass, full circle, or if you don't really want any of that, then he never left the couch!), but it amounted to treading water and just putting a cap on 30 years of... nothing. As rote and predictable as it would have been, they'd have been better off just having him show up at Starkiller Base in the third act of the last movie, or this one, since he still never showed up despite the cruel tease of his X-Wing (while we're recycling dialogue and moments and waiting for help, how about, "I'm Luke Skywalker, I'm here to rescue you!" coming in over the radio?). I'm seriously considering how one could edit these two movies together to make a better movie, basically tack fake Luke onto the end of TFA, which, again, are very Prequely thoughts. =)

Walter said:
My expectations have been appropriately leveled :sad: I'll probably get a chance to see it this weekend, but if not, it'll be another week.

Maybe you'll enjoy it more than I did now. I hated TFA when I first saw it, but then became a convert. I don't think that's going to happen this time because it didn't get me that worked up wither way and I feel like I've already made my peace with it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I'm not sure what everyone is creaming their pants over.

Well, I felt the same way over Rogue One. I put off seeing that for a year and I really don't understand the hype.

Griffith

Walter said:
Well, I felt the same way over Rogue One. I put off seeing that for a year and I really don't understand the hype.

It might be better, or more worthwhile for fans, than Last Jedi, honestly! :ganishka: I think that's a trick though, because stuff like TFA and R1 are so steeped in familiar and unmistakable Star Wars iconography we don't reject it as a foreign body outright (this is very Star Warsy!). It may not be as good as the real thing, but at least it was cloned from the same DNA, whereas this one does a lot of familiar shit too, but it also has just enough new and different content to feel... a little off. =) Basically, people hate the continued recycling of the Death Star in principle, but it might be worth the practical "STAAARR WAAAARS" trade off!

BTW, you're a risk-taker quoting me directly where you can see my spoiler-tagged text! I even tried to keep those diplomatic for the most part though, just in case. :griffnotevil:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
BTW, you're a risk-taker quoting me directly where you can see my spoiler-tagged text! I even tried to keep those diplomatic for the most part though, just in case. :griffnotevil:

Pfffff, spoilers, me? :ganishka:

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Hoping to be able to see Last Jedi this weekend. But I don't have high expectations, just hoping it will at least be entertaining.

With Rouge One, I wasn't expecting much considering the entire movie was made based on this sentence from episode IV:
[quote author=Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope]
Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire’s ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet.
[/quote]

But I will give it credit for at least being entertaining.

Griffith

This one is definitely more original than the previous two for better or worse. It kind of reminds me of a proper EU Star Wars story, since that's ultimately what these are, but complicated by the fact they gotta try to live up to the originals and substitute for "flagship" Star Wars movies instead of just being what they are.

I never imagined I would be this apathetic about the release of a new Star Wars film. I haven't seen Rogue One and I didn't even bother to watch the trailer for this. I'll see it with my family but I'm not expecting to be any less underwhelmed than I was with Force Awakens.

Top Bottom