The Black Swordsman as a "Religious Icon"

Blade

Master of the Simulacrum
Was re-watching the Tower of Conviction Arc Episode recap, and Farnese' interactions and self-narrations regarding Guts mentioned the idea that he embodies a Prophecy as well as the 'darkness in her past that she couldn't escape'.

I'm wondering just what sort of story the Holy See was spreading and where did it come from?

Was it just a rumor the Godhand were spreading?

Later on when Farnese cuts her hair in atonement she practically reveres Guts, though he dispells the illusion she seemed to have of him, it actually took a while for her to come back down to earth so to speak.

It felt as if he was being idolized or an anti-savior to her of sorts, like cult worship or something like it.

I'm just wondering if the stage was set for Guts to take such a position in life, because he's not exactly outspoken, other than his trail of corpses.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Blade said:
Was re-watching the Tower of Conviction Arc Episode recap

It's really not a good idea to base any serious thought about Berserk on an "episode recap".

Blade said:
Farnese' interactions and self-narrations regarding Guts mentioned the idea that he embodies a Prophecy as well as the 'darkness in her past that she couldn't escape'.

Not sure what you're referring to here but Guts doesn't "embody a prophecy". However the Holy Iron Chain Knights (whom Farnese commanded) mistook him for the "Falcon of Darkness" who was foretold to appear in an old prophecy. The "Falcon of Darkness" is of course a reference to Femto.

Blade said:
I'm wondering just what sort of story the Holy See was spreading and where did it come from?

The prophecy is:

"When the sun will have died five times, a red lake will appear at the west of the city with a name both new and ancient, and it will be the sign that the fifth angel is born. The angel shall be a Falcon of Darkness. Both master of the sinful black sheep and king of the blind white sheep. The one who shall bring an age of darkness upon the world."

Blade said:
Was it just a rumor the Godhand were spreading?

No. The prophecy probably did not originate from the God Hand, as it warns directly against the coming of their fifth member (Femto). And it didn't originate within the Holy See either. We are shown during the Millennium Falcon arc that Schierke and Flora were also aware of that prophecy (in fact, the full version I'm posting here is from them and not the H.I.C.K.), which is why Schierke was sent to ascertain Griffith's nature while he was in Shet.

Blade said:
Later on when Farnese cuts her hair in atonement she practically reveres Guts, though he dispells the illusion she seemed to have of him, it actually took a while for her to come back down to earth so to speak.

It felt as if he was being idolized or an anti-savior to her of sorts, like cult worship or something like it.

It's a bit more subtle than that. Farnese had some serious mental problems due to her traumatic childhood. While she served in the Holy Iron Chain Knights, she hid her weakness behind a facade of coldness, violence and religious devotion. She thought she could keep her fear of the world at bay by playing that role. But when she met Guts it all went to hell. That's mostly because Guts is surrounded by the supernatural, and so her worldview was simply shattered by the events she witnessed. But beyond that, she was amazed and fascinated by Guts' stoic determination and relentless struggle (and success) against adversity. So after that fake persona she had constructed to protect herself was destroyed, she sought him out to try and rebuild herself properly. To discover another way, a real way to fight her fears and become strong. And then over time she developed a crush on Guts (that's still not completely over).

Blade said:
I'm just wondering if the stage was set for Guts to take such a position in life, because he's not exactly outspoken, other than his trail of corpses.

To answer the question posed by the title, Guts isn't a religious idol. But he's a remarkable man, and so people remark him. It's that simple. He wasn't "meant" to have a grand role in life by the powers that be, at least as far as we know. His preordained role was to help turn Griffith into Femto. However he's exceptional enough that he has received, despite his own intentions, the admiration and loyalty of quite a few people.

Top Bottom