Berserk: The Flame Dragon Knight novel

Mangetsu said:
Seems to be the first 2 pages of the novel http://www.younganimal.com/berserk/trial.html

One of the illustrations and a small description about the content in japanese

https://ddnavi.com/news/383536/a/

0ccd126b93fcbd8125d7502a4a040b9a.jpg

This would have been great in the manga... :sad:

If this really is a "fully original story by Makoto Fukami" and it's supposed to be canon... I don't think I even wanna fucking know about it. :rickert:

https://mobile.twitter.com/aoimarumaru/status/878037915720220672

Apparently there's going to be a new Berserk announcement next month on the 16th. What do you think it could be?

Rupert Sinclair said:
If this really is a "fully original story by Makoto Fukami" and it's supposed to be canon... I don't think I even wanna fucking know about it. :rickert:

Is this the same writer that did psycho pass? that series is fucking horrible, hopefully it's someone different.

Femto96 said:

Apparently there's going to be a new Berserk announcement next month on the 16th. What do you think it could be?

Probably another anime, what else could it be? I hope I'm wrong.

Femto96 said:
Yeah most likely, or maybe it's a new novel for another character?

To be honest with you, I'd prefer to see these stories in the manga told by Miura himself, i don't want this novel thing to continue. Even though Miura is probably giving them direction, i still don't like the idea of someone other than him writing about these characters.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rupert Sinclair said:

It has already been established that it is an original story by Makoto Fukami. There is no doubt about it. And given that Miura is illustrating it, I find it hard to dismiss the idea that it is canon.

Femto96 said:

Apparently there's going to be a new Berserk announcement next month on the 16th.

Are you sure about that? This woman just says she got the Berserk promotional newspaper this morning. Then adds she'll have to read it.
Then she greets her followers. Then says there might be good news next month. Then wishes them a good day.

It's not clear that the news she mentioned is Berserk-related (might be about her own affairs). The newspaper page she posted doesn't mention anything about it.

Well the illustrations are cool as fuck at least.

Hopefully the writing matches it. I for one, dig Psycho Pass for the most part. But it doesn't come close to Miura. I can't help but feel there'll be a compromise in story quality for this. I very much want to be wrong here but I just don't see why Miura didn't do it in the manga when the time was right.

Or maybe he intended this all along? I kind've doubt it but there must be some reason for this. Either way, I'm sure I'll enjoy the novel and will be happy to have it in my hands eventually. But it's likely still going to be a let down in comparison to a solid episode or so of Miura's manga style.

Aazealh said:
It has already been established that it is an original story by Makoto Fukami. There is no doubt about it. And given that Miura is illustrating it, I find it hard to dismiss the idea that it is canon.

It wasn't that I was doubting it, but voicing my disgust at the official backstory of a character actually being written by some hack anime writer.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The illustrations are neat, though of course I would have preferred this to be depicted in the manga. It remains to be seen whether the novel format brought any additional depth to this back story.

Rupert Sinclair said:
It wasn't that I was doubting it, but voicing my disgust at the official backstory of a character actually being written by some hack anime writer.

Yeah, well, we did that in April already, but sure, I understand.
Only time will tell if that was a one-time thing or if there's more to come.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I'm still tempted to get it just to be able to hold the illustrations in my hands but I'll probably wait, for this is not a priority for me at the moment. Who knows, we might get good review of that book... :schierke: (I hope at least, it'd be the only positive thing about the book other then the illustrations.)

Sucks that it's in this context, but those are my favorite illustrations Miura has produced in a long time. So beautiful.

jackson_hurley

The Beast of Darkness said:
The artworks are absolutely magnificent. Glad I ordered a copy along with my volume 39 and Young Animal.

Damn you! I almost ordered the three of them. I bailed and got only the young animal and volume 39.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
And now you're regretting. :iva:

On the other hand, he's already seen the pictures and at least he isn't encouraging them to make more of these books.

jackson_hurley

Aazealh said:
On the other hand, he's already seen the pictures and at least he isn't encouraging them to make more of these books.

And now you're regretting. :iva:

You both have a point, but I'm leaning more towards Aaz point since like he said, I've seen them already thx to Ryu Osaka and Mangetsu's post! Still... they won't be in my hands and I refuse to print them for the sake of having them. :guts:

It won't be the first time I'd like to have Berserk illustrations that are not in the manga and that I can't get my hands on. :sad:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
The illustrations are awesome indeed; pretty much all big, iconic glamour shots reserved for important moments, and kind of a like a highlight reel from some bizarro alternate version of Berserk with Grunbeld as the main character. Weird, but cool, if not for...

Aazealh said:
And given that Miura is illustrating it, I find it hard to dismiss the idea that it is canon.

gutsbarf.gif

No. NO! I REFUSE TO ACCEPT IT!! :mozgus:

Hey, he helped with the animes and stuff, doesn't mean their changes are canon... this is an argument, right? :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Hey, he helped with the animes and stuff, doesn't mean their changes are canon... this is an argument, right? :judo:

It's the argument I try to make in my mind, along with "Oh, well the Dreamcast game was supposed to be canon but in the end it wasn't really" and "Miura wrote Charles' story for the PS2 game but it wasn't meant to be canon".

Aazealh said:
Are you sure about that? This woman just says she got the Berserk promotional newspaper this morning. Then adds she'll have to read it.
Then she greets her followers. Then says there might be good news next month. Then wishes them a good day.

It's not clear that the news she mentioned is Berserk-related (might be about her own affairs). The newspaper page she posted doesn't mention anything about it.

No sorry, I'm not. It got posted on Reddit as well so I thought it might have been true but I guess not.

Eluvei said:
Sucks that it's in this context, but those are my favorite illustrations Miura has produced in a long time. So beautiful.

I agree man. I love the raw hatching. It's looks dirty, but in a very good way. The drawn horses look so good

Mangetsu said:
These are the illustrations from the novel. http://imgur.com/a/xUXkB

Credits go to Ryu Osaka

Love his chariot, I'd hate to be chased by that sight :magni:. as implied by Mule, Grunbeld's beherit seems to have been activated by his mortal wounds on the battlefield, although I didn't expect Grunbeld's sacrifice to be a female friend. In the last image Grunbeld, also seems to be wreaking vengeance against his comrade after sacrificing the girl, and the female knight in the other three pictures appears to be dead or unconscious, makes me wonder what enmity has torn these characters apart. I do hope Miura doesn't gloss over any of this when Grunbeld's past is revealed in the manga.

Top Bottom