Berserk: The Flame Dragon Knight novel

no name said:
The novel is out in germany and i have read the first 65 sites.I really hope that this is not canon.It seems that the autor dosn´t know that berserk isnt only about gore,rape and violence. In what i have read it feels like that there is far to much rape and detailed violent i really don´t like it. I regret to buy it. :judo:

He also doesn't seem to know how sacrifices work.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
no name said:
The novel is out in germany and i have read the first 65 sites.I really hope that this is not canon.It seems that the autor dosn´t know that berserk isnt only about gore,rape and violence. In what i have read it feels like that there is far to much rape and detailed violent i really don´t like it. I regret to buy it. :judo:

Indeed. I've only read summaries, but it seems quite ridiculous and juvenile how sexual violence is used in the story. And I've heard similar accounts from those who have read it, walking away grossed out that it has Berserk's name on it. :azan:

I think no one should buy it.15 euro are far to much for this book,the artwork is very good but the rest suck. I am ashamed
that i have buy it :farnese:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
no name said:
I think no one should buy it.15 euro are far to much for this book,the artwork is very good but the rest suck. I am ashamed
that i have buy it :farnese:

Everyone can do as they will, of course. :idea: I feel somewhat obligated to get it. But at the same time, I fundamentally don't want to support anything about this new novel endeavor.

MrFlibble said:
He also doesn't seem to know how sacrifices work.

I haven't read it, what did he get wrong?

no name said:

Ugh, who put GoT in my Berserk? :puck:

This story sounds very unappealing, whilst the only saving grace being the art; I think I'll hold off on purchasing it, while hoping that Miura's contributions end up in a future art book. :daiba:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
MrFlibble said:
Apparently Edward, Benedicte and the Blonde knight get branded, and Grunbeld kills them. In every other apostle ceremony the vortex takes them.

That's not true. As the eclipse showed us, apostles are free to devour them after branding. And even in standard sacrificial ceremonies, we've seen apostles devouring the bodies, or at least in the proximity of the bodies — the Count and Ganishka. The Vortex's function is to take the soul of the branded.

As for the inconsistency in this novel,
it has to do with two of the sacrifices being "willing" sacrifices, along with the fact that Edvard made for a shitty sacrifice given his actions throughout the book, particularly the ending.
Neither of those things pass the smell test, to me.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
Walter said:
it has to do with two of the sacrifices being "willing" sacrifices, along with the fact that Edvard made for a shitty sacrifice given his actions throughout the book, particularly the ending.
I don't know for the first part, but, well, the actions of Ganishka'son weren't much better.

Walter said:
As for the inconsistency in this novel,
Neither of those things pass the smell test, to me.

Forgot to mention that, yeah. Becoming a demon in Berserk is a wholly selfish act, and putting an anti hero spin on it kind of negates the whole point of "cutting away your humanity"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
RaffoBaffo said:
I don't know for the first part, but, well, the actions of Ganishka'son weren't much better.

I disagree, and you're selling Ganishka short here. Ganishka being able to sacrifice his son spoke volumes about how he felt about him. And though I haven't read the book yet, it doesn't seem like
Edvard and Grunbeld
had developed the same kind of bond as, say, Guts and Griffith, or in Ganishka's case, as father and son (a son whose life had become driven by fear just as Ganishka had endured).
Edvard seems just tacked on as a sacrifice. His friends had already been wounded, (and/or violated)
so it's all quite watered down from other sacrifice scenarios in Berserk. And of all aspects of this story where Miura could have provided guidance or an outline, one would have thought THIS would be it, the climax of the character's story arc, and basically establishing his character motivation. And yet, based on the outcome, I can't imagine this was sourced from Miura.

Becoming a demon in Berserk is a wholly selfish act, and putting an anti hero spin on it kind of negates the whole point of "cutting away your humanity"

Indeed, that's the other part of it. Grunbeld is basically just empowered through this ordeal.

Shitty screenwriters make for shitty novelists....who would've guessed? :schierke:
Also, somebody previously suggested that Miura may have given Makoto Fukami some pointers about Grunbeld's background and early life. But seeing how the Flaming Dragon Knight novel severely deviates from what Berserk is all about, I'm beginning to doubt that. If Miura had any direct input in that novel's story, it wouldn't have come out so terrible. Other than the cover art and those illustrations, I don't think Miura had any involvement in the making of that novel. This whole story reads like Golden Age-lite. Light on brains, light on soul and light on heart. Heavy on violence/rape, but light on everything that actually makes Berserk awesome and unique.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Rhombaad said:

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all... my adult life. :farnese:

On topic, is anyone springing for this? For all my shitting on them I've got all DH's Miura releases except the latest volumes. The guidebook, however silly, is a no brainer for the interview and just for what it is (plus, I've reveled in plenty of questionable Berserk analytics myself, so bring on Guts legerity quotient =), but this is a different animal being written by someone else, predominantly text, and therefore extremely transition dependent, obviously. That's a lot of suspect elements stacked on top of eachother, the original artwork by Miura being the only unassailable part.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
On topic, is anyone springing for this?
the original artwork by Miura being the only unassailable part.

I buy everything that has Miura's name on it, and the artwork still gives me a small window into his intent with the story. So I appreciate it for that, if nothing else.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
I buy everything that has Miura's name on it, and the artwork still gives me a small window into his intent with the story. So I appreciate it for that, if nothing else.

Pretty much what Walter has said for me. I'll get it mostly for the illustrations of Miura. I'll still read it though out of curiosity and since it'll be translated.

Griffith

Walter said:

Even the movies and TV adaptations that bear his name and promotional artwork? :carcus:

jackson_hurley said:
Pretty much what Walter has said for me. I'll get it mostly for the illustrations of Miura. I'll still read it though out of curiosity and since it'll be translated.

It's hard for me NOT to geek out about a Berserk EU novel in my native tongue, except I know it'll leave a lot to be desired.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I think I'm buying it out of curiosity more than anything. I still find it fascinating that there's an official book in print related to the Berserk universe and it's not written by Miura and it's actually been translated and released by Dark Horse. I HAVE to read this thing. I have almost no expectations. I've never read a novel tie-in to a manga before. I only assume it'll probably suck because everything does but I've got to see how exactly this fails.

Nope, not buying it at all. Don't want any more trash like this to be made (better yet, I want it definitively stricken from the canon), and the best way to ensure that is to not support it. Whatever money spent on it would be better spent just buying additional copies of the manga. Same reason I didn't buy the DVDs for the most recent anime (hell, I didn't even watch the second cour).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Cyrus Jong said:
Nope, not buying it at all. Don't want any more trash like this to be made (better yet, I want it definitively stricken from the canon), and the best way to ensure that is to not support it. Whatever money spent on it would be better spent just buying additional copies of the manga. Same reason I didn't buy the DVDs for the most recent anime (hell, I didn't even watch the second cour).

This.

Griffith

SK.net's hive mind is being split down it's pragmatic and purist halves by this issue! :void: I'll probably skip it out of laziness principle. :griffnotevil:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, foreign sales of the novel aren't likely to impact any decision Hakusensha makes about extending this property. Now as for people who imported it... :rickert:

It's obvious from this novel, from the crappy anime and the advertising that came with it, the group that owns Berserk misunderstands the series and views it as trash pulp. They're trying to squeeze every last penny out of it by exploiting the sex, violence, and sexual violence. Target audience is Japanese virgin males age 13-16 who are already over saturated with zombies, vampires, zombie vampires, and hentai.

The worst part is how insulting it is to Miura. Everyone likes to make a buck but seeing his life's work squeezed for every last penny as cheaply as possible like a, well, prostitute, must hurt. Ironic that the idiots on reddit call it the 'rape manga' a more accurate term would be 'the raped manga'. Very disappointing.

When Berserk started in the 80s there were a lot of exploitation mangas and you could get away with a lot more then you can now. I think it's why younger people are shocked by the edgier stuff, back in the day it wasn't so edgy. The first volume reminded me a bit of Hellraiser, made me think of similar comics and films from the 80s.

I don't need to get into the difference between the 80s and 90s exploitation manga/anime and Berserk because this is a Berserk website and not Mad Bull 34. I'm not surprised to hear that the novel most likely sucks but I expected it to suck when I heard about it.

Spotted Dark Horse's release at my local Forbidden Planet.The age of darkness has finally arrived! :magni:

Strangely, Miura's co-credited almost as if he and Fukami wrote it together rather than Miura just doing the illustrations.
6xJd8FF

Last edited:
Top Bottom