Hardcover editions of Berserk?

I just picked up the 35th anniversary hardcover edition of Otomo's manga masterpiece Akira. It makes me wish that berserk would get the same treatment.

I wonder if there has been any talk from Dark Horse of releasing full size hardbound editions of Berserk? We all know its nowhere near finished, but Berserk is the type of manga that I would love to display on my bookshelf with the rest of my hardbound books.

Anyone know of anything in the works?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it would be nice if Berserk had a deluxe edition (bigger format, hardcover, better translations, better quality paper and printing...), but no, there are no plans to make one that we know of.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
My Akira hardcovers also shipped yesterday. The whole package is a thing of beauty. And as I admired it, it was hard not to think of how much Berserk deserves the same treatment.

Beyond the books and packaging themselves, there's the artbook that comes with it, containing pretty much everything you could want from such a book. It collects all the official colored work, all the original promotional art Otomo created for things like the anime, laserdiscs, etc., all the "front art" colorings from the collected books, along with drafts, variations, and his explanations for design ideas on each of them. Imagine such a thing for Berserk, with Miura's commentary... :daiba:

Menosgade

Not all those who wander are lost
Here in Brazil, Panini has been releasing a "deluxe" edition, with better ink and paper than any other version in the market here.

The drawings are very clear :ubik: and the cover is "hardish", not truly hard, but not too soft either. I've been collecting my deluxe volumes from them. I don't know how it compares to US/EU/Jap prints, but it's pretty good arround here (also, price is comparatively lower!).

WP_20140909_011.jpg
(not my pic)

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Menosgade said:
Here in Brazil, Panini has been releasing a "deluxe" edition, with better ink and paper than any other version in the market here.

The drawings are very clear :ubik: and the cover is "hardish", not truly hard, but not too soft either. I've been collecting my deluxe volumes from them. I don't know how it compares to US/EU/Jap prints, but it's pretty good arround here (also, price is comparatively lower!).

WP_20140909_011.jpg
(not my pic)

Nice. Is the size a little bit bigger then a manga though or is it about the same size?

As others mentionned, I would love it so much to have oversized volumes...

Menosgade

jackson_hurley said:
Nice. Is the size a little bit bigger then a manga though or is it about the same size?

2.0 cm longer and 0.6 cm wider. Measured with my own deluxe and old prints.

Menosgade said:

What's the binding quality like? Most of my old Panini ones would fall apart if I tried to open them even slightly a year or so after I'd purchased them, and some came with pages glued together. Offensively cheap stuff.

I ended up getting the Dark Horse releases.

Menosgade

Eluvei said:
What's the binding quality like? Most of my old Panini ones would fall apart if I tried to open them even slightly a year or so after I'd purchased them, and some came with pages glued together. Offensively cheap stuff.

Deluxe is definitely better. Old ones open completely and effortlessly, the new ones are thicker and make resistance. I don't think they have more than a year, since these editions are new and I've read them quite fast, but I think they'll age well. They smell pretty good too, I don't know why. Can't say if the translation is any better, tho.

Top Bottom