Episode 355

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CatBrains said:
As many people have commented, Guts strikes quite the ominous image in full armor and armaments (obviously played up by Miura as well). I wouldn't be surprised to see a scene where Guts removes all of this before approaching Casca again. It could be quite powerful, seeing the Black Swordsman strip away the elements of his darkness, piece by piece. It would work in a metaphorical sense as well. Guts needs to make himself literally vulnerable in order to regain the intimacy he once had with Casca.

Indeed, I like that idea! It could even mark a sort of symbolic "end" to his quest for revenge (even though it effectively stopped long ago), a reverse of when he geared up and headed out (leaving Casca behind) in episode 93 and 94.

That scream at the end, it reaches Laura Palmer's levels of terror! It's nauseating.

I wonder, will they get some alone time or will the girls and Danan kick in with some group therapy? Or maybe, Casca will just run away, screaming and crying, thinking about all that went down and then, a mysterious knight on horse will appear, saying: "I told him you might not agree with it" "Take heed, struggler, for now you live in the interstice". Wait, that's some déjà vu right there :SK:

Aazealh said:
Haha, you guys are so harsh with the dress! I actually really like it! :iva: And it does feel like a very elfish thing to do, too. Remember on the podcast when I said it could be kind of hellish for Casca if she had to go through the party where the elves would be like "you are going to have fun whether you want to or not"? Same kind of thing. Imposed romance. And yeah I have to agree with you guys, it seems clear Miura intentionally went for the most perfect reunion setting ever only to better subvert it.

My first thought was "holy crap, that's beautiful." Then my mind went "wait, but Casca hates dressing up." Then I realized Casca did lightly protest but Danan comically overruled her. So I gotta say, I love it.

CatBrains said:
As many people have commented, Guts strikes quite the ominous image in full armor and armaments (obviously played up by Miura as well). I wouldn't be surprised to see a scene where Guts removes all of this before approaching Casca again. It could be quite powerful, seeing the Black Swordsman strip away the elements of his darkness, piece by piece. It would work in a metaphorical sense as well. Guts needs to make himself literally vulnerable in order to regain the intimacy he once had with Casca.

I would also love to see that image--similar to when he sat on the ship without his gear, after having failed to save Casca falling into the water.

I also really want the scene where Guts goes up to meet Casca again in this vulnerable state, then have Danan whip up something fancy for him too :ganishka: if only to see his reaction

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
You know, personally I remain hopeful. I'm not crestfallen over this. I have never doubted that Guts and Casca will be able to enjoy their love eventually, and I'm not starting now. The way I see it, they are simply on a path towards that goal, and this is just another step along the way. And while we don't know what the next episode has in store for us, I think it has the potential for some touching moments and not just painful ones.

Yeah, I saw in your edit that it actually made you feel better to get that tease, or preview, of an unburdened Casca, but to me it was decidedly the opposite feeling. I was expecting her to be messed up coming out of this, but to get that tease and to look ahead, to look past it really, to them reuniting under those conditions only to have it shattered by the inevitable reality was so cruel. This isn't a complaint mind you, more that I'm impressed how Miura was able to shake up a moment of which we've spent decades imagining every possible permutation, and to make it truly jarring and harrowing in an unexpected way (hyper detailed gross Griff bod, comin' atcha! =).

CherryBlossoms said:
(Also, this might be a stretch, but I recently watched Twin Peaks Season 3 and (Spoilers for the end of Twin Peaks incoming)
the end of this episode really reminded me of the end of the show - a slow build to a climax that is released via the catharsis of a scream. Not saying they're all that similar really, but they both gave me a similar kind of feeling.
)
Urosh said:
That scream at the end, it reaches Laura Palmer's levels of terror! It's nauseating.

Alright, now I have to share this chain:

Eluvei said:
Griffith said:
Eluvei said:
Griffith said:
Yet, he somehow managed to subvert our long established expectations by rolling out the red carpet for us to consider and to some degree anticipate this perfect reunion, before completely pulling the rug out from under our feet! :ganishka: :mozgus: :judo:

qfaDbj7.jpg

:iva:

vmHCc2y.jpg

:ganishka: That's perfect.

Griffith

Urosh said:
That's quiet possibly the best crossover of any art ever. :ubik:

If only my photoshopping on the night had lived up to it, but I got lazy. BTW, I'd be remiss if I didn't share the other source image by Christiano Siqueira:

https://pro2-bar-s3-cdn-cf3.myportfolio.com/bddf55916dc1336d75ce51e2bff1fdbf/eb8037d2-e7b7-4877-950b-34f932e0a1d3_rw_1200.jpg

The whole series is totally worth checking out as well:

https://crisvector.myportfolio.com/twin-peaks

To get this back on topic, it was also partly inspired by the humor I found in the 'shop "fixing" Casca's face, like, "Here you go, how it really should have been!" :ganishka:

Also, great callback and point by Eluvei all these months later; Miura's gone LYNCH MODE on us (I knew this particular bemusing feeling was familiar =)! I'm just glad the corridor of dreams didn't end with Casca frantically staring into a mirror and then we never see her again, presumably ever. :iva:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I felt truly crushed after reading the episode yesterday. The feeling stuck with me until I got home and showed my wife the Korean scans. Seeing it again and explaining what was going on based on Puella's translation, I felt much less sorrowful when I finished. This was inevitable, and while it was heartbreaking seeing what it might be like with Casca totally healed, only to have it ripped away again, it's necessary for her to experience the trauma she's avoided all these years.

I imagine the next episode will involve Guts rushing forward to comfort her with Danan, Farnese and Schierke intervening and telling Guts he needs to wait a little while longer. While it'll be tough on him, I imagine he'll consent and wander off to be alone (I can't see him going back to Roderick and Serpico, but maybe Puck will come find him?), leaving Casca in capable hands. I wonder if SK will make an appearance, like others have said, as well.

Griffith

Rhombaad said:
I imagine the next episode will involve Guts rushing forward to comfort her with Danan, Farnese and Schierke intervening and telling Guts he needs to wait a little while longer. While it'll be tough on him, I imagine he'll consent and wander off to be alone (I can't see him going back to Roderick and Serpico, but maybe Puck will come find him?), leaving Casca in capable hands. I wonder if SK will make an appearance, like others have said, as well.

The potential parallels to their post-Eclipse reunion are ominous, but, even if Casca can't handle being around Guts at all right now, hopefully he's learned enough from before that and won't be impatient or get discouraged that things may not have quite worked out yet despite coming so far. I'm also interested to see what Casca does! She's not "Elaine" anymore watching a dream, she's got agency, so I'll be interested to see if the scream precipitates something of a temporary relapse where she shuts down, or if we're in for something more volatile. It'll also be interesting to get Guts' POV, effective choice to isolate him this episode, and I hope we see his side of that walk before the scream, even if it's not likely to make us feel any better about the whole thing.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
[...] I'm impressed how Miura was able to shake up a moment of which we've spent decades imagining every possible permutation, and to make it truly jarring and harrowing in an unexpected way (hyper detailed gross Griff bod, comin' atcha! =).

That big page spread of Griffith lying in his cell is definitely the most intriguing part of the episode to me. It's interesting because one could view it as superfluous: Casca could see Guts surrounded by the scenery of the Eclipse, then cut to her screaming. But Miura chose to insert that specific shot in-between, as if maybe to show the reader that she's not just screaming at Guts, but because (some of?) her traumatic memories have resurfaced.

The choice of that specific moment makes me wonder if there's a chronological thing going on, aside from the Eclipse trigger with Guts. Is she going to go through the Wyald fight, the struggles against the apostles, the rape by Femto and then her child's tragic birth? Or has it all come back already? Or will it be slower, more progressive? Hard to say at this point. Anyway, seeing this picture of Griffith did bring to my mind this panel of Casca, from right after she sees him in that state. Looking at it, I think it's hard to dispute that this specific shot of him is an appropriate "beginning" for her trauma.

Casca-Panic-Vol10.jpg

Griffith said:
It'll also be interesting to get Guts' POV, effective choice to isolate him this episode, and I hope we see his side of that walk before the scream, even if it's not likely to make us feel any better about the whole thing.

Yeah, I've been thinking it'd be nice if the next episode were to open with that or really just feature it as some point. While his ponderous walk looks ominous in this episode, it might be very different from his perspective, i.e. bracing himself, lost in thought with his hopes and doubts, or even fighting back tears, who knows?

Good god, this episode. Even though Guts and Casca's reunion not being all sunshine and rainbows was already foreshadowed so much, Miura still manages to lure us into a false sense of security for a bit. I'm really anxious about what's going to happen next. Things are no doubt going to get really depressing, but who knows, maybe it won't be all bad.
But you know, it feels really weird to have Casca back now. She's been like that for most of the manga after all. I almost can't believe it finally happened (I say that, but I've only been following the manga for about 2 years, and compared to some of the other users here that's nothing :ganishka:)

Also, everyone is talking about how good Casca looks in that dress (and she does!) but what do you think she thinks about it, exactly? Obviously she's not all like "omg it's beautiful I love it" but do you think that maybe she doesn't outright hate it, either? I think she would have protested much more strongly if she did. To me she to be more mixed/conflicted about it than anything, but I'm not sure.

NCHaskew said:
I also really want the scene where Guts goes up to meet Casca again in this vulnerable state, then have Danan whip up something fancy for him too :ganishka: if only to see his reaction

Well, we're already past the point where that would be fitting, but I agree. I would have loved to see his reaction to that. Although I hope she would have been able to change it back, otherwise it would be problematic if the berserker armor was permanently turned into a fairy style tux or something.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Khalamir said:
Also, everyone is talking about how good Casca looks in that dress (and she does!) but what do you think she thinks about it, exactly? Obviously she's not all like "omg it's beautiful I love it" but do you think that maybe she doesn't outright hate it, either? I think she would have protested much more strongly if she did. To me she to be more mixed/conflicted about it than anything, but I'm not sure.

I don't think she hates it, it's just not the kind of attire she's most comfortable with. But obviously given the situation this isn't a big deal to her.

Khalamir said:
Also, everyone is talking about how good Casca looks in that dress (and she does!) but what do you think she thinks about it, exactly?
Her looks remind me a lot of Prome, really cute overall. It's obvious that Danan has a real knack for fashion :iva:
What I think she feels is social awkwardness whenever it comes to her femininity, a nice call back to the time she wore that fancy dress, which made Guts drop his jaw. :beast: :farnese:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:
it almost felt like Miura was commenting on the whole idea of having Casca back, and how, as readers, we're simultaneously wanting her to be reunited with Guts and "normal" again, when really, she needs time to process what's happened to her. In some ways, maybe we're like Danan, poofing poor Casca into a wedding dress in our minds! :ganishka:

She's an elf after all :iva: I found her antics pretty funny, myself. She's rushing to the romantic conclusion, when clearly there's still a mountain to climb before we get there.

Aazealh said:
Anyway, seeing this picture of Griffith did bring to my mind this panel of Casca, from right after she sees him in that state. Looking at it, I think it's hard to dispute that this specific shot of him is an appropriate "beginning" for her trauma.

Interesting. That also lines up with where Casca says her memory from that time starts to taper off — the Tower of Rebirth.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
The choice of that specific moment makes me wonder if there's a chronological thing going on, aside from the Eclipse trigger with Guts. Is she going to go through the Wyald fight, the struggles against the apostles, the rape by Femto and then her child's tragic birth? Or has it all come back already? Or will it be slower, more progressive? Hard to say at this point. Anyway, seeing this picture of Griffith did bring to my mind this panel of Casca, from right after she sees him in that state. Looking at it, I think it's hard to dispute that this specific shot of him is an appropriate "beginning" for her trauma.
Walter said:
Interesting. That also lines up with where Casca says her memory from that time starts to taper off — the Tower of Rebirth.

Yeah, that line/reveal about going to save Griff stuck out, especially after that two page horror spread. It seems evident the Casca they spoke to in that moment was relatively trauma free or oblivious, like plucked out of time and remembering the good times, both from her previous life and while trapped in Elaine (Guts own transgressions aren't triggers or otherwise addressed either). Until she saw Guts and then the trauma, at least the beginnings of it, "Last thing I recall we went to save Griffith; how'd that work out!?" came flooding back. Interesting that we see the big picture first with the Eclipse, then back relatively to where she said she left off. I wonder if it ALL came back at once in that moment when she screamed or if it's going to be more complicated and arduous as Aaz alluded. In any case, despite all we've already seen her go through, it seems as though it's all going to be fresh.

Aazealh said:
I don't think she hates it, it's just not the kind of attire she's most comfortable with. But obviously given the situation this isn't a big deal to her.

Even that reaction was more reminiscent of better times, the nature of her objection recalling her complaint about wearing a dress at the ball, rather than someone that had just been through hell and come out on the other side. Hell awaits, apparently.

Boy, I'm cheerful. :ganishka: On a lighter note, echoing Aaz's initial perspective, it was great to have the old Casca back unburdened by everything, even for a little while.

Wonderful episode. Casca’s complicated feelings regarding Griffith have me very interested in, and a bit nervous about, how this will all play out. There’s a 0% chance it’ll happen, but personally I hope the memories come back chronologically and slowly. I’d like Casca’s devotion to Griffith to return, her worrying about Griffith’s well-being, realizing (and then accepting) the horror of what he did, and then having Casca’s old devotion be transformed into a strength. In the vein of the old Casca who was a highly skilled soldier, commander of men, and leader of the army when the shit hit the fan, I’d like to see her devotion transformed into responsibility-driven resolve. A “Griffith was the god we served and propped up, our god turned out to be an evil shithead, so it’s on us to ‘right the wrong’” kind of mentality.

TL;DR: I’m genuinely happy we have Casca back, and I can’t wait to see how this goes.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
it was great to have the old Casca back unburdened by everything, even for a little while.

Yeah, and I found great joy in the little things. Like how she speaks, for example. She talks like Guts, straightforwardly, without using honorifics. She tells the girls to just call her Casca (no "san" or what have you) and says she wants to call them like that as well. These details mean a lot to me, they make me even more eager to see her back in action.

Wow. Dunno what to say, so I will just asked something slightly out of topic: I’m in Japan right now (lucky!) and was curious to know if I will be able to find this Young Animal tomorrow in any convenience store? Because it says the release is tomorrow, even though it’s the 13th of April release :???: Can’t wait to read those pages again!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Giovanna said:
Wow. Dunno what to say, so I will just asked something slightly out of topic: I’m in Japan right now (lucky!) and was curious to know if I will be able to find this Young Animal tomorrow in any convenience store? Because it says the release is tomorrow, even though it’s the 18th of April release :???: Can’t wait to read those pages again!

Almost. You're looking for the latest YA edition, (the one with this cover) with a release date of 3/23. It's confusing, but the magazine is dated April 13, because that's just how they market it. Consider that these things live on store shelves for a few weeks. So it's like a new car, where it's always dated in the future so as not to appear stale.

Walter said:
Almost. You're looking for the latest YA edition, (the one with this cover) with a release date of 3/23. It's confusing, but the magazine is dated April 13, because that's just how they market it. Consider that these things live on store shelves for a few weeks. So it's like a car, where it's always dated in the future so as not to appear stale.

Aaah, thanks Walter! Weird indeed, but anyway I will look for it! For sure I will get some funny looks buying a magazine with such a cover, but whatever :ganishka:

Wow! That was a beautiful episode. The artwork combined with the narration makes the emotions so tangible, especially the snapshots of her memories. I can literally feel her nostalgia. I really loved the large image of Casca tearing from the mention of Guts, as it wonderfully depicts her longing and love for him. The other thing I liked was how Miura unveiled so many emotional states of Casca in one episode: happiness, introspection, confidence, and fearfulness. Sorry if this was already mentioned by someone, but this episode really brought me out of my cave and I had to share my excitement! Can't wait for 356 :serpico:

mahlernut

I call the big one Bitey!
Well damn. That's enough of a reason to post for the first time in, like, 10 years. :???:

Sometimes art reflects life maybe a little more closely than you're prepared for! I helped to care for someone from when they were born up through childhood, was separated for years and years, and didn't see her again until she was in her 20s. Meeting her again was painful and frightening and amazing - a person who was always a child in my mind was, in an instant, an adult...who talks and has opinions and a whole life of experiences they you knowing almost nothing about. That gap, and the bridge over it, is exactly what Farnese is looking at right now. Even if Casca felt like she was asleep or dreaming, she was always "Casca" to herself in some sense. But for Farnese - just a day earlier, she held Casca's hand to lead her, she protected her, she helped feed her; even while in Casca's mindscape, she still held and shielded that little piece of Casca. But in the blink of an eye, Casca doesn't need her anymore...not in the same way. Farnese's still never really had a healthy relationship with an equal; she's Shierke's student, she's desperate to prove herself to Guts, she and Serpico...well...that's super weird and complicated. I can only imagine that it's going to be very hard for her to really understand that Casca doesn't have to need her to accept her.

I've always liked Farnese through all her changes and growth, but even though it was inevitable in a sense, I'm still surprised that she's become the character here that I can personally relate to. Putting aside all the torturing and burning. :eek:

Or maybe that's all projection and it'll all be so much simpler than what's going to be happening with Casca and Guts that spending too much time on it will just detract. In any case, Casca's going to go through hell having to make her worst memories part of herself now that she has no choice, and I doubt that Guts will be able to handle that all by himself; he's part of that hell, even though it's not his fault. So even if Casca doesn't need Farnese, she's probably going to desperately need a friend.

I really love this manga.

mahlernut said:
Farnese's still never really had a healthy relationship with an equal; she's Schierke's student, she's desperate to prove herself to Guts, she and Serpico...well...that's super weird and complicated. I can only imagine that it's going to be very hard for her to really understand that Casca doesn't have to need her to accept her.

I'm reading through for the second time, and that really struck me way harder. It is really interesting to see how submissive Farnese ended up being for the group. Though I do think Casca's going to be dependent on her and Schierke while she confronts her trauma. After that, it'll be interesting to see how their relationship evolves.

I really love this manga.

Me too, fellow Struggler. I've got less than 4 years under my viewership belt, but it's still been magnificent to follow these incredible characters in this breathtaking world.

Top Bottom