E3 2018 Reactions

Really hyped for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. As a long time fan of the series, bringing back every fighter is a bold move, and one that I never would have expected. Especially Snake. Seemed conventional wisdom that Konami were being dicks. Also hyped for Ridley; as a big fan of the Metroid series, it's nice to finally have more representation. I also really love dragons. Probably going to be the most exciting newcomer for me, since my other wants are really beyond the pale shit, like Isaac from Golden Sun, Solaire from Dark Souls, Doomguy from....Doom, Scorpion from Mortal Kombat, and Magcargo from Pokemon. Then again, I also want Simon Belmont, and given that Konami's on board for this game, I would actually be surprised if he didn't make it in.

While it wasn't remotely substantial, some acknowledgement and confirmation that The Elder Scrolls VI is coming eventually was nice. Can't tell where exactly this seems to be taking place, but it doesn't look like Akivir or anywhere exotic, so I'm mildly disappointed.

The Samurai Game Trinity of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Ghost of Tsushima, and Ni-Oh 2 all have my attention. Still need to play the first Ni-Oh, though. Hopefully it's on sale for super cheap this upcoming Steam sale.

The first Crackdown has always had a soft spot in my heart, and the sequel disappointed the hell out of me. Seeing the third one looking like a big return to form (with Terry Crews himself being the main character) has me hyped. I was honestly expecting the game to be cancelled, because that's all Microsoft seems to know what to do with their big AAA games as of late, so to see that it's still alive and kicking (even if it's delayed) elicited a huge sigh of relief from me.

Loved Cuphead, so seeing that getting some DLC down the road is a nice treat. Also cautiously hyped for the Battletoads revival.

The PC Gaming Show revealed Maneater, an open world RPG shark attack simulator kind of thing. What's most interesting to me is that apparently you can upgrade and evolve your body parts as you progress through the game, reminding me of Enix's cult classic E.V.O. Search for Eden, one of my all time favorite games. Sable also looks comfy, and Noita looks pretty fucking cool.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
ryOtoha, the point, at least mine, is that Sucker Punch studio is not necessarily to game making what Akira Kurasawa is to film making, therefore such comparisons are largely meaningless or superficial at best (and hugely favorable to Ghost of Tsushima of course =). They could be directly adapting Seven Samurai into a video game and it wouldn't mean the game is of the quality of Seven Samurai or Akira Kurasawa. So while these homages are cool, it doesn't really tell me if the game will ultimately do them justice.

Griffith said:
ryOtoha, the point, at least mine, is that Sucker Punch studio is not necessarily to game making what Akira Kurasawa is to film making

Personally, i don't expect Ghost to be for video games what any AK work is still to this day to films. That's near impossible.

Griffith said:
therefore such comparisons are largely meaningless or superficial at best (and hugely favorable to Ghost of Tsushima of course =).
Agreed :serpico: Let's say that i'm pretty nerdy when it comes to Films and especially Kurosawa :iva:

For those interested, here's his 30 films ranked, according to my appreciation.

Griffith said:
They could be directly adapting Seven Samurai into a video game and it wouldn't mean the game is of the quality of Seven Samurai or Akira Kurasawa. So while these homages are cool, it doesn't really tell me if the game will ultimately do them justice.

Beyond the obvious references, the use of wind and water as symbolism shows that Sucker Punch understands the themes and essence of Kurosawa's oeuvre, and they strive to use it in their art direction. And for that specific reason, it seems very promising to me :guts:

NightCrawler said:
Ikiru in the bottom half? :azan:

Again, this is my order of preference, not so much about quality. What's your personal ranking (via PM or in a dedicated thread i guess) ? :void:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Wasn't sure where to put this, but I've noticed it and then saw this article today. So, here's a gaming trend this year I'm having a BAD reaction to:

https://kotaku.com/many-big-games-now-have-two-release-dates-and-the-earl-1829123098

What’s an extra day of playing a hot new game early worth to you? What’s the worth of two days? It’s become more and more common for video game publishers to charge players for the chance to play games early. Or maybe they’re just sticking everyone else who pays a meager $60 with a later release date. This practice has gone from rare to common this season.

It goes on to list numerous examples of different "early" access special edition deals out there which are gross on their face imo, as proven and compounded by the dishonesty of selling it under the guise of something else, the umbrella of "special edition" pre-orders or whatever. Could this please go the way of the pay-to-win loot box, or is it the new normal like DLC? Just make something and sell it for Christ's sake. I'm glad Red Dead 2 isn't doing this (amazingly, since they have every other scummy pre-purchase offer out there), but it's going to hit home when I game I actually want to play does it (not that I'll jump or be pained to wait the extra time, it'll just give me a reason to squawk =). So as not to put all the onus on the developers and publishers, can we also stop being stupid morons wasting money stupid, worthless shit? Wait, that's what games ARE? Fuck.

Top Bottom