Volume 40 release

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Because it's a PV, maybe that's all it amounts to -- a live action commercial promoting the vol 40 release.

Given the little money they've spent on the anime, I don't think they'd be insane enough to attempt a low budget live action adaptation.

tumblr_pfpzxuFrwn1sjroblo1_540.jpg

I was hoping it would be something cool :judo:

Heiji said:
PV out.
https://okachi.fr/un-clip-live-pour-feter-la-sortie-du-40e-volume-relie-de-berserk/

Here's what I think is an interview with the actor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NvwmdkFbMU

And some backstage shots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6OCLDcsHms

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Heiji said:
PV out.
https://okachi.fr/un-clip-live-pour-feter-la-sortie-du-40e-volume-relie-de-berserk/

Hahaha wow, Jesus Christ, this is really bad. So much it's almost comical. Hakusensha really needs to cool it with these dumb projects.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I DID
10,000 POSTS
AT SK.NET
AND ALL I GOT
WAS THIS LOUSY
PROMO VIDEO

goodblow.jpg

I'm out! *mic drop*

-Griffith

P.S. I'm not out. :griffnotevil:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
In context of Hakusensha putting out something (anything, apparently) small-scale to promote vol 40's release, I'm okay with it, I even laughed a little. In the same way I'm okay with those goddamned pachinko machines for being hilariously bad, there's something endearingly cheesy about this.

After all, what if that video ended with: Coming to Netflix 2019 :ganishka:

Griffith

Walter said:
In context of Hakusensha putting out something (anything, apparently) small-scale to promote vol 40's release. I'm okay with it. In the same way I'm okay with those goddamned pachinko machines for being hilariously bad, there's something endearingly cheesy about this.

After all, what if that video ended with: Coming to Netflix 2019 :ganishka:

First you defended DH volumes, then the guidebook, even the novel, and now THIS!? You've been broken, man! :guts:

This just goes to show how bad Berserk fans get treated outside of the manga and, like, statues, I guess. These are our expectations! Why can't we just get the regular decent merchandise the fans of any shitty series can take for granted? Why does it always have to be downright AWFUL!? :judo:

Also:

its-over-10000.jpg

Ok, done with that now. :griffnotevil:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I mean, it's just an ad. The only difference between this dumb thing and every other low budget video they've made to promote Berserk is that we were given expectations for it (PROJECT!) Instead of it just dropping, and us derisively laughing and moving on.

Griffith

I know it's just a dumb video, and I actually kind of like it too, weird as it is, especially the print images surprisingly (maybe cause they remind me of our bad Photoshops =), and that's all it would amount to if it wasn't the cherry on top of other all too real disappointments. It'd just be nice to get some genuinely kickass, or just up to par, Berserk stuff once again instead of this fucking around (it's not funny when everything not produced directly by Miura is bad). I sure miss the nostalgic days of the merely underwhelming '97 anime, respectably authentic Dreamcast game, and actually awesome artbooks (even the postcard one =). Now we just have to basically be numb to this shit and that's really too bad.

BTW, back to the video, what's the big idea behind it? Like who is that guy? Is he some old Japanese action star or manly actor? Is this like if they'd cast Arnold in the part or something? Or is it just the guy is old and it's stupid and... that's the joke? :???:

I've just seen this on Twitter a minute ago and came straight here, knew you guys had probably massacred it already. I must say, even with the heavy editing, it's embarrassingly bad. Do Japanese people really like this stuff?

lbklOd2.jpg

k42b3hF.jpg

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
I expected nothing less from Japanese advertisements.
Now I want a video of Old Man Guts vs Segata Sanshiro.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I know it's just a dumb video, and I actually kind of like it too, weird as it is, especially the print images surprisingly (maybe cause they remind me of our bad Photoshops =),

It's funny that you mention that, because I look at this thing and just feel it's like one of our many April Fool's Day pranks. Elaborate, but ultimately just a flash-in-the-pan gag. Again, I think the reason this one feels off is because they hyped its release.

It'd just be nice to get some genuinely kickass, or just up to par, Berserk stuff once again instead of this fucking around (it's not funny when everything not produced directly by Miura is bad). I sure miss the nostalgic days of the merely underwhelming '97 anime, respectably authentic Dreamcast game, and actually awesome artbooks (even the postcard one =). Now we just have to basically be numb to this shit and that's really too bad.

I think the last decent product they licensed with Berserk's name on it was the PS2 game, and even that wasn't great. I'd chalk it up to the people handling the property at Hakusensha not caring or not having a good eye for quality. I've become accustomed to just settling for pointing to the manga as the only thing that really matters. As we often say, Roseanne was good enough to stand on its own, she didn't need an animated series.

BTW, back to the video, what's the big idea behind it? Like who is that guy? Is he some old Japanese action star or manly actor? Is this like if they'd cast Arnold in the part or something? Or is it just the guy is old and it's stupid and... that's the joke? :???:

It's Shigeru Matsuzaki, a famous singer. I guess the intent is : Berserk is old and so is he, haha.

Wow, this PV looks goofy as hell. Some really weird choices here. The specters are... giant CGI skulls?

Life has apparently been so hard on Guts that he aged into a 60-year-old man. Lol.

Oh well, I guess I'm glad the series is getting some attention. At least it's not a trailer for a live action show like this.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
no name said:
the digital volumen is out. https://www.hakusensha-e.net/top?id=16824#

Thanks! I flipped through the preview and noticed a confirmation of our name spelling for Danan. :ubik:

Franz

It's a dolphin.
Man, all that kinda makes me ashamed for enjoying Berserk. The weight of the world really did a number on ol' Guts, when he clearly should be enjoying retirement at age 57.

Walter said:
Griffith said:

It's funny that you mention that, because I look at this thing and just feel it's like one of our many April Fool's Day pranks. Elaborate, but It's Shigeru Matsuzaki, a famous singer. I guess the intent is : Berserk is old and so is he, haha.

He's called the Black Singer in Japan because of his dark tan, and the two images Bleac posted emphasize 黒 black. That's the joke, the Black Singer as the Black Swordsman.

Top Bottom