Episode 224

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
So we have a fresh thread when the chapter arrives.

Basic summary: Guts vs Grunbeld; Guts isn't doing too good. Schierke and Isidro and Serpico are getting Guts' his new armor. Apostles advance on the mansion. Skully tries intercept them and is in turn intercepted by Zoddo; Skully vs. Zoddo.

Wow, it sounds awesome even in that rather humble recap.

-Griffith

Dark Wanderer

I'm evil :p
Re:Chapter 224

Sounds interesting indeed :). Now we might get to know which of them; Skully or Zodd, is stronger. Most people have said that the fight between them outside of the eclipse proves that Skully was the stronger, but since we haven't seen them fight more than once, we don't know for sure. Now they're fightning again, and old speculations may become void...

And as for Gatts, he's now up against an opponent that he'll have a hard time taking on in his weakened state. What will he do to prevail in this ill-boding fight?

And will Serpico, Ishidro & Shiruke manage to get past the apostles? Will their magical weapons work against them? Will Shiruke be able to use any magic, after all, or will she just stand there, frightened, while the apostles attack?

This will be soo interesting ;D

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...

Dark Wanderer said:
Sounds interesting indeed :). Now we might get to know which of them; Skully or Zodd, is stronger. Most people have said that the fight between them outside of the eclipse proves that Skully was the stronger, but since we haven't seen them fight more than once, we don't know for sure. Now they're fightning again, and old speculations may become void...

And as for Gatts, he's now up against an opponent that he'll have a hard time taking on in his weakened state. What will he do to prevail in this ill-boding fight?

And will Serpico, Ishidro & Shiruke manage to get past the apostles? Will their magical weapons work against them? Will Shiruke be able to use any magic, after all, or will she just stand there, frightened, while the apostles attack?

This will be soo interesting ;D
Guts vs. Zodd is a good fight.
Skully has proven to be mush stronger then Guts.
Skully vs. Zodd is no contest.

Really, now. As decisive as the last fight seemed to be, I don't see how Zodd could do more then delay or annoy Skullknight.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!

Skull vs Zodd is going to be special. We saw very little of their last encounter, so this could certainly be a treat.

However, I can't see Zodd dying, nor Skull Knight losing. Skull Knight's real fight is with Void. The water between them isn't under the bridge yet!

Thanks Griffith!

Griffith

Majin Tenshi said:
Guts vs. Zodd is a good fight.
Skully has proven to be mush stronger then Guts.
Skully vs. Zodd is no contest.

Really, now. As decisive as the last fight seemed to be, I don't see how Zodd could do more then delay or annoy Skullknight.

Don’t be so sure. Skully dispatches most Apostles without any trouble; and he and Zoddo have confronted each other twice in the story and perhaps numerous times in the past, and Zoddo’s still alive and as willing to fight Skully as ever. So, either Skully has a soft spot for the big guy, or fighting/killing Zoddo isn’t such an easy thing. And we’ve never seen them in a drawn out battle.

Interesting notes on their paralleling past:

First confrontation: Eclipse Ceremony; Zoddo was “guarding” the ceremony, Skully defeats Zoddo and crashes the event. Zoddo allows Skully and Guts to flee without incident.

Second confrontation: Rebirth Ceremony; in an appropriate role reversal, it’s Zoddo that’s trying to get to this ceremony and it's Skull Knight that’s in his way. Whatever happened remains unseen, but both arrived at about the same time (Zoddo was transformed). Skully, seemingly returning the favor, allows Zoddo and Griffith to leave without incident.

Unanswered Questions:

What happened between the time Skully and Zoddo see each other before the Rebirth and when they both crash the scene? Was Skully bested by Zoddo?

Who has the biggest DIQ?

-Griffith

Majin_Tenshi

Griffith said:
Second confrontation: Rebirth Ceremony;
Hmmm... I seem to have forgotten about this one. Maybe cause the scanslations I had were scrambled.

Still, if memory serves (which it rarely does) Zodd lost a limb. Skullknight didn't show any damage. Perhaps that part we didn't see included some interference that forced the Knight to back off.
But still, Guts and Skullknight are on completely different levels. (how many... um I think they were Ogres, did it take to occupy skully?)
If Guts can stand against Zodd, then it implies that Zodd is closer to his level then Skully's.

(Fighting human Zodd, and apostle Zodd require completely different aspects of a fighter. Zodd seems to have human SKILL that other apostles lack. Just cause Guts has a lot of trouble with the human form, doesn't mean that the Apostle form is beyond him. )

Griffith

Majin Tenshi said:
Hmmm... I seem to have forgotten about this one. Maybe cause the scanslations I had were scrambled.

Still, if memory serves (which it rarely does) Zodd lost a limb. Skullknight didn't show any damage. Perhaps that part we didn't see included some interference that forced the Knight to back off.

Fire your memory. ;)

At the Rebirth we don't see what happens and both Zoddo and Skully show up looking unharmed after their encounter.

-Griffith

Bill

Daydreaming....

Uriel said:
However, I can't see Zodd dying, nor Skull Knight losing. Skull Knight's real fight is with Void. The water between them isn't under the bridge yet!

Plus, at the Eclipse Skully says something to the affect that he's destined to strike down Void and that its been forseen. As for the Guts vs. Zodd speculation, Guts can only hold his own against Zodd because of the DS and only when he's in his human form.

As for Skully vs Zodd, why didn't he finish Zodd off at the Eclipse ceremony instead of just severing a limb?

Majin_Tenshi

Griffith said:
At the Rebirth we don't see what happens and both Zoddo and Skully show up looking unharmed after their encounter.
I forgot that you can't read my mind, let me clarify.
I think Zodd lost a limb when he let skully pass (eclipse). There were no signs that Skully was harmed when he let Zodd pass. Make more sense now.

Yea, I do need a new memory.

Bill said:
Plus, at the Eclipse Skully says something to the affect that he's destined to strike down Void and that its been forseen. As for the Guts vs. Zodd speculation, Guts can only hold his own against Zodd because of the DS and only when he's in his human form.

As for Skully vs Zodd, why didn't he finish Zodd off at the Eclipse ceremony instead of just severing a limb?
1. I think I've heard something about that translation being flawed.
2. Guts did quite well against Zodd's human form at the castle.

Fighting the human and apostle forms are completly different fights. They let one use different strengths and make them suffer from different weaknesses. I'd say that Zodds human and apostle form are more similar in power then most due to his "human" skill. Perhaps Zodd only major benifits of transforming are the wings and the ability to soak more damage.

3. Its hard to kill an apostle, and Skully was in a hurry. He might not have thought he had the time.

Griffith

Majin Tenshi said:
I forgot that you can't read my mind, let me clarify.
I think Zodd lost a limb when he let skully pass (eclipse). There were no signs that Skully was harmed when he let Zodd pass. Make more sense now.
Yes, much better now. But, we know exactly what happened at the first ceremony; they fought. If they fought at the second one, Zoddo was at least able to fend Skull Knight off and reach his destination.

Majin Tenshi said:
1. I think I've heard something about that translation being flawed.
Yup, Ollie's smacked us around on that one forever.

Majin Tenshi said:
3. Its hard to kill an apostle, and Skully was in a hurry. He might not have thought he had the time.
He kills other Apostles instantly, though. Zoddo obviously poses a greater challenge to him. Even if Zoddo isn't as strong as Skully, he could be strong enough to fight him seriously, much like Guts can challenge Zoddo.

I'm not trying to prove anything here, I'm just thinking that Zoddo and Skully wouldn't fight so much if Skully was so far ahead of Zoddo that it was no contest. I'm actually trying to disprove the whole notion of "This guy is better than this guy!!". I mean, every Apostle Guts has killed has been stronger than him, but he still beat them.

Anyway, so this does'nt turn into one of those threads I hate... Back to 224; anyone think Grunbeld will let Guts just put the armor on? He's a pretty honorable guy. And if Guts is doing poorly, he might be inclined to show mercy. Skully could write him a sick note. =)

-Griffith

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Bill said:
Plus, at the Eclipse Skully says something to the affect that he's destined to strike down Void and that its been forseen.
No. Mistranslation. Here are a plethora of others and their correct counterparts.
Maybe because Zodd isn't classified as "evil" to Skully. Remember, he "stands against evil". Zodd is probably just a fun little punching bag for Skully.

Majin_Tenshi

Griffith said:
I'm not trying to prove anything here, I'm just thinking that Zoddo and Skully wouldn't fight so much if Skully was so far ahead of Zoddo that it was no contest. I'm actually trying to disprove the whole notion of "This guy is better than this guy!!". I mean, every Apostle Guts has killed has been stronger than him, but he still beat them.
Thats a matter of how you define "strength" Yes, I'm sure those apostles can lift more then Guts. They can take more damage too. But most of them relly on their unnatural abilities. They don't have skill or experience in most cases.

I can't think of a lot of instances where we've seen skully fight apostles other then Zodd. The behelit one briefly... ummm... thats about it.

Grunbeld will proably let Guts put on the armor, assumeing it gets there in time, but I don't know how much good it will do him.

Bill

Daydreaming....

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Got the chapter scanned. Uploading is in progress... :-*

My hero! :D

Grunbeld, looks like an honorable guy, but he didn't have an guilt just smashing into that Kushan army. Locus is more the type to allow Guts to put on the armor. Perhaps if Grunbeld was like Zodd and wanted more of a challenge he might allow Guts to armor himself.

Griffith

Bill said:
Locus is more the type to allow Guts to put on the armor.

Yeah, based on the 10 pages Locus is in the manga, I got that impression too.

-Griffith

Bill

Daydreaming....

I'm speechless :-*

Edit: - Grunbeld's strength is insane! :eek: Although he does seem to be going easy on Guts is in some serious trouble. Anyone have a rough translation of what Skullknight and Zodd may be discussing? Perhaps Zodd telling Skully to get out of the way.

Now thats Ishidoro and the gang have found the armor, how will they get it to Guts? The apostle they left behind didn't seem very happy. Thanks for the scans Saiyajin! ;D

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

No prob folks! :D I do have to agree... No other person or possibly appostile) has ever man handled gut's like Grundbeld has in his normal form...other then Zodd that is. :p

Majin_Tenshi

It would seem that the wound is slowing him down substantialy. OR the fight is aggrevating it or something.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

Soul Blader said:
DAMN GUTS USE YOUR SPEED! Grunbeld cant be that fast wearing all that metal shit.

I'm pretty sure Gut's thought the same thing when he fought Zodd for the first time... Don't let size fool you just like most people think that Gut's can't swing the DS very fast. :p

Top Bottom