Where does Ganishka get his powers from?

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
What's your opinion on where he gets his powers from? Is he an apostle? A magician/wizard? Just how powerful is this guy anyways? He doesn't seem too worried or fazed by anything that's been going on in chapter 232-234.

LPL

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
Apparently he is an apostle: Like you know they have that little proviso in their contract that reads "Do like you want"

Lady Sexy Charlotte said:
What's your opinion on where he gets his powers from? Is he an apostle? A magician/wizard? Just how powerful is this guy anyways? He doesn't seem too worried or fazed by anything that's been going on in chapter 232-234.

LPL

I guess he actually came from that place where Dakas are made... Who was if he was actually Mega-Daka?

His power on the other hand would be more stronger than any other apostles (including Zodd & co), he is one of the few that actually pose threats to Griffith army (actually there are only 3, the other two are Flora and Guts)

Lastly i believe Ganiskan might have some other surprise waiting for the Hawks, since he was fully prepared to welcome them (if you remember those words in the last page of 230)

Is he an apostle? A magician/wizard? Just how powerful is this guy anyways?

According to what Ganishka said at the end of chapter 231

(Page 18)
Ganishuka : ( The appearance of the Hawk. Which meant the transfiguration of the
world. All those who transmigrated [he means everyone who has turned
into an apostle] knows this instinctively.
And to follow the Hawk is the greatest thing for us, non-humans. It
is like being beside a God and to be held by God. )

(Page 19)
Ganishuka : ( But I am the Great Emperor of the Kushan Empire. I am the one who
rules the greatest territory on this Earth. )

(Page 20)
Ganishuka : ( I will not give it away. Even if it is smeared with blood and has
become dirty. This world is mine.
I will become the devil to reign over this unclean world. I will
pull the arrow against God. )

i guess we can assume that He is an Apostle, and he wants to go against casualty by not following "God" (aka the Hawk)! Also, I think he knows (or believes he knows :) ) the power of "God", and he seems so confident that he is surely well prepared to oppose Griffith. So i agree with Smith : Ganishka should be more powerful than most of the apostles, and he fights in his territory so he must have set many traps against the new "taka no dan" (including the Daka,and so ...)

SexyCharlotte

We'll see just how powerful and formidable an opponent he is. He seems too self-assured in some ways. I'm picturing his apostle form to be something huge and hairy.

We'll see just how powerful and formidable an opponent he is. He seems too self-assured in some ways. I'm picturing his apostle form to be something huge and hairy.

and with big teeth :D like on page 20 of chaptre 231,I guess the top drawing might be a clue of what Ganishka's Apostle form may be ^^

Miyu

I'm smiling on the inside.
Smith said:
Do you think his size would be bigger than Zodd and Grunbeld?

It wouldn't surprise me. He's being set up as a major antagonist and he has to have the size to back up the bark.

SexyCharlotte

I'm picturing his apostle form to resemble something from WILD ABOUT THE FUTURE on Animal Planet LOL. A big hairy reptilian thing with teeth. Or like that creature from THE RELIC.

Bloody Needle

I'm a llama!
Hm. Maybe there's not a contradiction to being an Apostle and using magic a la Flora. We really haven't seen an Apostle with a personality oriented towards studious disciplines, or even towards intellectual questioning of their own supernatural nature. Perhaps Ganishka starts out as a sorceror and, Faust-like, picked up a Behelith and made a deal...joining together his native talents with those supplied by the God Hand. As seems to always be the case, his powers and form will relate somehow to his wish, and that in turn to the truth of his conscious world.

Oh course, I think Ganishka's powers also relate to the source material he's based on. Miura is consciously riffing and referencing from the Ramayana (Ganishka himself brings up the comparison, if I read the trans right), atop the clear Persian and Indian cultural elements flavoring the Kushan. In a lot of ways, Ganishka *is* Ravana...equal parts king, warrior, and sorceror, and abductor of the main squeeze of a god-man. In the Ramayana, Ravana is the inversion of the perfect man and ideal king, Rama (who is an avatar of Vishnu, the high deity responsible for preserving and protecting the world of man). In Miura's all-Apostle version, Ganishka sets himself as the opposing "devil" to Griffith's "savior"...which in a sick way works to Griffith's favor, because the contrast makes him seems brighter.

The other big commonality is that the source of the original Ravana's power is a series of boons he extracted from the gods (actually, it's a setup that occurs in a lot of Hindu heroic myths...the antagonist gains divine merit through devotion and asceticism, then abuses these gifts to dominate man and gods until such time as the gods can find a loophole in the invulnerability they bestowed)...which tidily matchs the relationship between Ganishka and the God Hand.

Also, on a superficial side-note, the stylized hooked fangs that both Ganishka and the Daka have are typical of Indian depictions of the evil supernatural beings known as rakshasas, of whom Ravana was the king. The same flair can be seen a lot of Hindu and Buddhist-influenced artwork through Southeast and East Asia.

I suspect Ganishka's Apostle form will be somehow related to the descriptions of both rakshasa in general (hairy and beastlike in their native form, but capable of shapeshifting) and Ravana in particular (hundreds of arms and seven+ heads). Then again he could just be a vampire or a werewolf or something.

Top Bottom