Griffith's castle : his "sidus"

Lliugusamui

around the corner
Griffith, as a child, was able to see _a_ castle. This castle is the representation of his meaningfulest desire. In fact, desire, coming from latin "desidere" (=regretting the absence of a star) may be interpreted as the quest for a lost happiness (mother's womb, or a divine place, for example). Indeed, as said Freud, the principle of desire tends to say there isn't only a real world, but a world made out of "dreams". This dream, this castle, is taking the place of a non-satisfying reality. This dream is a dream for a better world, a world where there isn't poverty, violence, where everything is "fine".
Moreover, I'd like to add a qote of Fourier, who approximatively said our desires are propotional to our destinies. Thus, our desires are relevant of what God wants for us : Griffith's dream is what it is because Idea wanted it to be this way.

However, aren't dreams an utopia ? I'm coming to a point very interessant for the next volume of Berserk, imho. I think we may say Griffith is close to get to his castle, to own his Kingdom. What makes us say he will be happy ?
In fact, there is a common phenomenon that should be taken into consideration. Realising one's dream doesn't imply necesseraly that it will bring to happiness. Quite the contrary.
But man is a being of desire. We can't live without a goal, whatever it is. That's why I think, when Griffith will eventually realise his dream, he may be regret the time of the Hawks. The friendship he had for Guts. That may be a reason he didn't kill him (as Femto during the Eclipse, as the Millenium Hawk at Godo's place).
And that may be his weak point. What remains of humanity in Griffith ? Does the fact he incarnated into Guts and Casca's child have any importance. I think it isn't a coincidence...

Guil

Speaking about desires and dreams...
Well if Griffith's dream is a better world, to end poverty and the like that won't finish upon conquering his castle, so his dream the way you put it doesn't finish there.
Another concept to put it on a different basis: to give and to take.
Does Griffith only wants to take? Then certainly his dream has a dead-end. Does he also want to give? Then his dream does not.
The fact or the question is what does he want to give?

With this approach I can isolate the other part of your theory(and make it less important, but still valid):
If Griffith has a weak for Caska or Guts, will that change his makings with the rest of the world? And how?

Another element I think we don't take into the consideration we should is Rickert. Skullknight protected him: but why? Is this part of a plan or only because he was a child?

Lliugusamui

around the corner
xechnao said:
Another element I think we don't take into the consideration we should is Rickert. Skullknight protected him: but why? Is this part of a plan or only because he was a child?
Basically, SK saved him because he was fated to rescue/cure Guts and Casca after the Eclipse. Considering how things have changed, though I'd like to see more of him - i don't think i'm the only one - I don't think Rickert has a major role to play in the upcoming events. Well, who knows ? Wait and see.

Well if Griffith's dream is a better world, to end poverty and the like that won't finish upon conquering his castle, so his dream the way you put it doesn't finish there.
I think Griffith's main goal is to hold the power. When he was young, we've seen he was concerned by the deaths of his soldiers. But he accepted this because they were dying for a shining future.
However, I hardly think he cares about that anymore. He's become a GodHand member, he accepted being a God/Devil (!). He must know his minions aren't lambs of God. He now only cares about being King, imo. Something like it is his due.
I think it has been in Idea's plan for things to evolve this way, for Apostles and the like to flood the ruined lands for a new order to emerge. There should be no way to destroy Griffith's future despotism ( I'm planning on the fact Ganishka will have his foggy as whiped ) if it wasn't for an imperfection in his determination, in his affective and fantasmic world.

Guil

I dunno.
Griffith only struggling for power or being king of Midland doesn't make too much sense for me. There must be something more than that. This is what I am trying to say and actually you also mentioned on your first post.
I believe he is capable of becoming a king anyway. But what will he do next? Griffith is a man determined on something but I believe he also serves a bigger plan. This is what I am talking about, that we still don't know. What is this plan?

Top Bottom