Interstella 5555

Chrome Coffin

Muppet of Death
I found this by accident I guess in the Music DVD section at Mediaplay as I was browsing for an Opeth DVD. What struck me was that it was drawn by the legendary Leiji Matsumoto with music by Daft Punk.

Now I questioned this mixture since Daft Punk can be construed with very lame post apocalyptic disco beats, but their music ended up fitting VERY well here.

Labeled as a "musical", there are no voices or subtitles, just the music and the anime....which is something very different, and unique from my usual anime purchases, making it a nice surprise.

The story begins in another galaxy where a band of four musicians are performing when they are kidnapped by a clan of spacesuit pimps who take them to earth and make them the biggest band on earth.

There is a bit of a story here, as one of the alien's romantic partner takes a spaceship (shaped like a guitar) and follows them to earth to rescue the band and his woman (the beautifully drawn Stella).

There are a few twists and turns that make the story actually pretty interesting, and the music paints a pretty picture as well.

I'd say rent it at least if you'd like to see a different, more low key anime with the music as the main act.

krunkster

mankowodaisuki
Saw this a the theaters last year.
It's was really good for a music oriented anime.

Much better than Robot Carnival IMO.

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
Leiji Matsumoto, right? I remember seeing this as that bunch of music videos, I don't know if there was any more to it than that, but oh well. Daft Punk is catchy and I'm a fan of Matsumoto's stuff, so I'll have to keep an eye out for it sometime.

Top Bottom