Guts's inevitable death?

No doubt the story will continue as long as Guts is alive, but when the time comes for the story to wrap up i really dont believe Miura will allow Guts to live any longer.

His death will be glorious, he will accomplish what he wanted one way or another to whatever extent (perhaps not perfectly), he will learn something new at the very end and the surviving people around him will like always be amazed that he accomplished what he did in his state right before it happens, but im guessing he will die one way or another.

Miura being the synical morbid writer he is will not make the ending happy enough for him to live on i dont think, can anyone see it possible for Guts to survive?

I don't care more about his survival than what's gonna happen to his soul.
Is he gonna end up in the vortex or roam around as an insane spirit like the ones who fights?
I believe the questions is BERSERK go beyond survival to the astral and spiritual cosmic forces.
Remember that he is a branded one which has to mean something with all this stuff.
And this cannot be answered if it won't be answered what's about GH and the new era. What will happen around Griffith and what the people and the world will see.
Anyway, this is just my point of view.

Kart

Resident /b/tard
i would hope not, his soul has been tortured, he deserves the final peace, but I it maybe a possablity that he will die before the story ends, and perhaps become more of an ethereal opponent to griffith, tho he doesn't need to die to become more ethereal, with the merging of the worlds...although this is just the little part of me that wants to see miura's talent put to use making gutts look like a really cool monsteresque being...

i don't think he'll survive, I think we should look forward to some character development along the like of ishy, or perhaps serpico and frans, or even silke(yeah i'm just typing out the simplest verison I know). I think toward the end of the story we'll end up seeing less of gutts as one of the other characters begin to step up and becoming somewhat the teller of the story(heh, doesn't make sense does it?)

knowing miura i wouldn't put it past him to actually kill gutts off and let griffith survive, or let the ending just be as dark and horrible as the journy there, gutts may not even be able to stop the godhand, and the entire journy could be fruitless, which would be interesting just for miura to let him travel, fight, suffer, and gain nothing from it...

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Well I am trying to recite some words spoken by Olivier..

I believe he said that Miura had said in an interview that he isnt going to make it a dark ending, but he is going to make it so Gut's and Caska have something, or if anyone, atleast Gut's has something, so I dont think he is going to die. Then again I could be wrong on where I got the information so, You don't have to take my word on it! ;) [Cue Reading Rainbow music]

Lauralana

That's Hot
Well i have to say that i would not want this series to end like Cowboy Bebop with the death of the main character. I really feel that Guts and Caska have been through more pain and hardship than any human should have to endure in one lifetime.

I know it is childish....but i just want them to be together and happy in the end. I want caska to wake up outta her stupor and to realize all that Guts has done for her. I want Guts to come to terms with Griffith and be able to move beyond the betrayal and get on with his life.

So basically in the end, all the bad guys should just implode. And the good guys should live happily ever after :p.....or not......

FateINwaiting

Berserk must be mine!
I dunno i feel Guts has to die in some way or another. Im not sure which way im for the most but hes either gonna die and be burried or hes gonna die in a mental state and forget about everything like it never happend....maybe hill wake up like Griffith was dreaming when Caska was serving him food.

Hi_There

Born to be MILD!
I want the Dragon Slayer to get all that spiritual mumbo jumbo and be able to synch in both worlds totally.

If that happens Guts can die killing Griffith or GH, then his soul can take the DS with him and reap Havok on IDEA itself!!!! when his soul goes through the vortex and one of IDEA's aortas or whatever. Guts makes a big slice and tadda, the world is saved.

Oh, I do want that super spactacular ending!!!.....

Or maybe not.

Schwabe

*cough*
FateINwaiting said:
I dunno i feel Guts has to die in some way or another. Im not sure which way im for the most but hes either gonna die and be burried or hes gonna die in a mental state and forget about everything like it never happend....maybe hill wake up like Griffith was dreaming when Caska was serving him food.

Ahh but think of the beauty of this. He wakes up, but cannot let go of his revenge, perhaps for something that in this 'dream' never even happened. Oooh...what a pretty thought...

Lauralana

That's Hot
Sparnage said:
A strange berserk fan you are.

haha ya that does sound strange...but by come to terms....i meant kill him and then move on.

I just want Guts to be happy...he's had so much pain in his life.

So after he kills griffith and casca is normal again....Guts can hop on his unicorn and ride it over the rainbow that spreads happiness to all the land....

....wait....that is the ending to rainbow brite....dammit!!!! ;) But doesn't that paint the oddest picture :p

I dont think caska will ever return to normal personally, i think she will remain that way until death because again miura is a dark writer, and that aside what has happened has happened, its not like in a dc comic where if something big goes down with lots of innocent people die and heros are badly hurt everything is resolved, fine and back to normal in a few short issues.

Many people believe she will return to normal, i think even Walter believes that she will return to her normal state, i could be wrong but i'm far to synical to picture it happening.
If she did return to normal i think it would be good though, i would like to see that dont get me wrong.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Sparnage said:
I dont think caska will ever return to normal personally, i think she will remain that way until death because again miura is a dark writer, and that aside what has happened has happened, its not like in a dc comic where if something big goes down with lots of innocent people die and heros are badly hurt everything is resolved, fine and back to normal in a few short issues.

Unlike those comics, Berserk will actually end, and I don't see how keeping Casca as a static prop the rest of the way is better than that. If anything, it's more like that; nothing has changed, everything's back to normal until next month and so on. It just depends on how it's done, though. As far as the ending, let's just throw out predictions! I'm sure it will see the reconsiliation of sorts for the main three characters. I'm pretty certain Griffith is going to die, if Casca dies so will Guts, if not Guts has a chance too, but Casca may survive alone. Anyway, as was pointed out, they could all die and the ending would still be "happy" as long as their souls are saved. I'm looking forward to something bittersweet myself. I personally would like to see Guts live at the end with Casca though. I don't think Guts has been fighting to survive and protect her just so they could die in some climatic final battle.

-Griffith

RAmpaGE

Working my ass off to save the world or die trying
I really doubt Caska and Guts will ever again be the happy couple. Actually, they can even end up happy (and alive), but like big brother and little (child little) sister.

But that would still be too bright for Berserk's universe. I think it's more likely that she'll die. When you think about it, she's been on the verge of death so many times it's a miracle she's still walking with the living. Thanks to her baby, Guts, Griffith and many others, she's survived, but how long will her luck last?

Although she hasn't been playing a part bigger than "damsel in distress", her death will definitly change that, as did the events during the first Eclipse. It's now obvious (at least as far as I've read - volume 26) that a lot of people beside Guts, including Griffith, care about her. It'd be interesting to see what kind of event would result in her death, and what'd happen because of it.

As with Guts' death, I'm also led to speculate about Caska's possible after-death. Things in Berserk never happen in one dimension. Would she still be insane in the other world? Would she go to hell? Become part of idea? Would Guts (by death or whatever means) go after her? And Griffith? Would he change his course for her, trying to avoid her death or worst events in hell? Perhaps ally with (or help from the shadows) Guts?!

Hey, that would be something. Man, the mere thought of something like that... After these events, no matter what's the result, everyone, including himself, would have to rethink who's Griffith.

Going even further: what if Griffith died trying?? :eek: Griffith's the hero???!!! Would THEN Guts be able to forgive him? THAT'S how it ends :'( ? When the puppet master steps up to finish this himself, how'll Guts be able to win without Griffith's help? ???

Ack!! :-\ I'm going to fry my brain if I don't stop writing.

Edit:

LOL, could you imagine Guts fighting to honor GRIFFITH's memory? Talk about irony!!!

nir085

Horse and Armor
In the middle of the anime, Griffith tells Princess Charlotte that the man he would call his friend would be someone who has his own dream and is willing to put his heart and soul into that dream. This apparently has an impact on Gutts as we see later on in the series. When Gutts actually leaves to find his dream, I think he does find his dream. No, his dream has nothing to do with Godo or the festival, but what happens when he returns. Caska and the Band of the Hawk are his dream. After the Band of the Hawk is finally decimated, this leaves Gutts with Caska. So perhaps Gutts will end up sacrificing his life for Caska to live on (at which point Caska will probably be semi-normal). This ending may be sad, but it will be happy in the sense that Gutts has found and fulfilled his own dream. Or maybe Gutts will find a different kind of dream. Maybe he'll take on a Himura Kenshin protect-people-with-sword dream and do just that with Caska, Puck, Isidro, Rickert, and whoever else befriends him...but I seriously doubt that considering his previous apathy towards murder.

That, or Gutts may end up taking up SK's role (whatever the hell that turns out to be) if SK dies.

Nothing else would make sense, in my opinion. After Griffith and the apostles die and Gutts has no need to wield his sword anymore...what the hell would be the point of his life at that point? Now that the Taka No Dan is gone, he wouldn't even be able to enjoy his life. Sure there is Caska, but she may not end up recovering. And I cannot imagine a grown Gutts babysitting a retarded girl. Besides, Rickert would be able to do the job (he kind of did it before anyways).

nir085 said:
Now that the Taka No Dan is gone, he wouldn't even be able to enjoy his life.

That maybe true, but in vol26 guts actually realized he had the feeling back when he was together with his band... so he may actually enjoy and cherish the moment he had now with his companion

Griffith said:
I'm sure it will see the reconsiliation of sorts for the main three characters. I'm pretty certain Griffith is going to die, if Casca dies so will Guts, if not Guts has a chance too, but Casca may survive alone. Anyway, as was pointed out, they could all die and the ending would still be "happy" as long as their souls are saved. I'm looking forward to something bittersweet myself. I personally would like to see Guts live at the end with Casca though. I don't think Guts has been fighting to survive and protect her just so they could die in some climatic final battle.

I agree, although the only thing I really need for a happy ending is that the brands--all of 'em, retroactively--are neutralized. I really don't want to think of Judeau and Pippin and the others damned.

As for Guts, I waffle a lot. Sometimes I think he has to survive or the story will be too bleak. He has suffered and struggled so much...

But in his not quite sane periods he's racked up quite a karmic debt, too, which makes me wonder if he'll go the noble death route.

I'm still waiting to see more about this new armor, if maybe there'll be some clues to his ulatimate fate there.

A romantic tribute to the ending of BERSERK:
If Griffith is to be killed by somebody, let that one be Caska.
Let Guts die in front of the eyes of Caska in a dramatic manner and that to give Caska her sanity back. Then she gets really pissed off and fights Griffith or Godhand to the end.
Finally she manages to save Guts' soul and maybe all those in the Hawks been sacrificed, including even Griffith's.
Then Shielke sends her to Guts and their souls seal together (with their union) idea's evil.
Blah :eek: :p :-X

Dark Wanderer

I'm evil :p
Hmm, I don't know whenever Gatts will survive or whenever Caska will regain her sanity, but I'll say what I think about it...

As much as people here may loathe how Cowboy Bebop ended, the ending certainly had a nice, shocking and unusal touch to it, and I wouldn't mind too much if this indeed becomes how Berserk ends. But to me this seems like a somewhat too simple way to end it all, so I suspect there will be something else, but what it might be, only Miura knows :D.

But as for Caska's sanity, I have to say that I see it as unlikely that she will regain her sanity. Perhaps she could somehow regain her sanity, but honestly I don't see how that could be done... A wound of the mind isn't something that is healed easily, and I believe that only time could "heal" it, but the wound has been teared open many, many times since the Eclipse, reverting her recovery back to zero again... Another thing that might heal it would be a shock of some kind - or seeing something that "pulls back" her memoeries/personality, like perhaps seeing gatts and Griffith fight again... But as I said, I believe that it's unlikely that she'll regain her sainity, but I believe it possible that she might at least lose her fear of Gatts sooner or later. So, in short, I'm a supporter of RAmpaGE's idea of Gatts and Caska ending up kind of like Manji (Blade of the Immortal) and his little sister in the beginning of BotI...

Sparnage said:
Caska could never hate griffith enough to do that, sane or otherwise.
Let Griffith's exposure as who he really is and what he really has done, including Phemto who raped the shit out of her (and her son) and then wait and see (remember that Rickert was the only that wasn't even touched in the eclipse back then).
Let her also find out in the same time how important she has been about Guts and then lose him because of Griffith, while she realized the truth of the story and expect her to ride with cannons on her shoulder to shoot Griffith's ass.

No, not gonna happen.
Even after the rape and all ages down the track she finds Griffith while Guts is fighting Zodd and still is so happy to see him she is in tears (maybe cos the brand hurt like fuck but even so).
She rushed over to him with a great deal of enthusiasm and more then happy to run through a death zone of them fighting almost getting her killed, no i doubt very much she would consider revenge on her god.

Sparnage said:
No, not gonna happen.
Even after the rape and all ages down the track she finds Griffith while Guts is fighting Zodd and still is so happy to see him she is in tears (maybe cos the brand hurt like fuck but even so).
She rushed over to him with a great deal of enthusiasm and more then happy to run through a death zone of them fighting almost getting her killed, no i doubt very much she would consider revenge on her god.
Re-read my message but anyway I repeat the point:
Caska didn't know that Griffith was Phemto and the one who sacrificed the hawks, doomed her, etchetera etchetera.

Anyway how can you tell that Caska was enthusiast for Griffith and not about her son? It's a bit strange this story and I wouldn't be so confident to reject what I've been saying because of what you said about Caska's inability to hate Griffith.

I think caska and the rest had it figured out that it was Griffith who sacrificed them all, when the godhand were convincing him to sacrifice them all they could hear the whole conversation before the feast began.

Not only that but when Femto came down to grab Caska just as she regained conscious she looks at him and almost says "Griffith" before he sticks his demon tongue down her throat, i think she had it figured, she isnt stupid.

Oh and i can tell she approaches Griffith to see him by the expression on her face and the way she touches his lip very sentual like, i dont doubt it was for any other reason but that.

Top Bottom