Episode 238: The Boy in the Moonlight
(Thanks Olivier)

04v08.jpg

It appears to be Casca. :)

-Griffith

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Olivier Hague said:
"Gekka no Shônen" ("the boy in the moonlight")... Isidro?

Most reasonable answer, he's the only boy around we know of. The only other thing I can think of (besides something purely speculative; a new character, just a moon metaphor, etc.) is that it has to do with her child and Griffith somehow?

Random points of interest:

• The last time the moon was significant to the plot was Griffith's rebirth.
  • There was that ideal Isidro had of Guts right before the Troll siege; where he was lit against the moon.

Guts2.jpg

Perhaps Isidro is acting out his fantasy? ^_^;​

-Griffith

P.S. Locus has a son? ;D

It'd be weird to throw in a new kid in the story, but I don't see why the story would suddenly shift to Isidro at this point. They are at a new place, the ocean 'that is always connected to the Astral world.'

Maybe Isidro is trying to catch Caska, who obviously has left the cave where the other are resting, then he meets SK, who throws another prediction about the boy in the moonlight ?... :-\

fletch

Treading trodden trails for a long, long time.
Episode 238: The Boy in the Moonlight
& the baby with the baboon heart.

Truly, these are the days of miracle & wonder.

But yeah, upon a recent re-read of the series, I noticed that too. Full moons tend to signify significance with some frequency in Berserk. Ecclipses (especially Significant Ecclipses), after all, do require the moon. Signifantastic.

nir085

Horse and Armor
Why can't it be Rickert?

I would much rather prefer Rickert reuniting with the crew than there being a chapter devoted to Isidro's meaningless exploits. I just hope no plot twist suddenly appears out of nowhere in which Isidro is much more important than we all think he is. There are enough plot hints, twists, and mysteries to unravel as it is.

Griffith

nir085 said:
I would much rather prefer Rickert reuniting with the crew than there being a chapter devoted to Isidro's meaningless exploits.

Yeah, because Rickert is so much deeper and more meaningful than Isidro as of late.

-Griffith

nir085

Horse and Armor
Not of late no, but I perceive him as a much deeper character than a comedic thief. Especially since Rickert has existed in the story for a much longer period of time and was actually a member of BOTH.

Plus...I just like Rickert more, hehe.

theblakeman

theblakeman- your local pervert
Rickert is like....a hundred miles away from them. I'm sure he'll come strolling along "oh i just left a day ago and got through all the snow, plains, and forests and dealing with crap like trolls and kelpie even though it took you about 4 volumes Guts teeheheh so easy"

...Yeah, I doubt it.

Griffith

nir085 said:
Not of late no, but I perceive him as a much deeper character than a comedic thief. Especially since Rickert has existed in the story for a much longer period of time and was actually a member of BOTH.

Plus...I just like Rickert more, hehe.

You didn’t have to explain that he's great because he was in the Band of the Hawk (OMG! JODO!). I now recognize that mentality at work immediately on sight. ;)

Anyway, while Isidro is certainly comic relief, I think maybe you should re-read everything from 18 on with him more in mind to fully flesh out his character for yourself. I did. It’s just kind of ridiculous that people still think of him as just the comic relief thief at this point. It’s like hating Farnese “cuz she sucked in volume 16.” I mean, Isidro parallels and is a foil for the two main characters (as well as others), he embodies, reinforces, and may even be the fulfillment of one of the main themes of the entire series (ambition), and he also functions as a window for the reader. Meanwhile, Rickert's babysitting.

Though, I like Rickert too, and I’d like to see him in the mix again one day, I think people need to move on and get up to speed on Guts’ gang since they’re not just “those other guys” anymore. They’re essentially the new Band of the Hawk.

-Griffith

Let's also note that each member of Gut's group is more well developed than any member of the band of the hawk ever was (excluding Gutts/Griffith/Caska, of course).

Griffith

Swordsman in Sable said:
Let's also note that each member of Gut's group is more well developed than any member of the band of the hawk (excluding Gutts/Griffith/Caska, of course).

Exactly, the Hawks were all static characters, it was a flashback, Miura wasn't developing anything with them but their end. What we saw were them in their complete, fully developed forms; and they died in them. Did Corkus after grow past his initial dislike of Guts? Could Judeau bring himself to tell Casca he loved her? Did Pippin ever say anything besides, "Look out!"? =)

Judeau hit it on the head; even Corkus probably once had a dream of his own, but like the rest of them, he gave it up long before we were introduced to them. Don't get me wrong, they were great (that was their point), but the members of Guts' current crew are all developing and changing individuals. They each came into Guts' life bringing their own history, purpose, and perspective to the table, and they still have a lot of growth to go through in front of our eyes. They aren't so much replacements for the Hawks as the REAL supporting cast of Guts' story.

But hey, I could be wrong, maybe Miura died inside after he killed Judeau. Murderer.

-Griffith

Griffith said:
Yeah, because Rickert is so much deeper and more meaningful than Isidro as of late.

-Griffith
Are you being sarcastic or not ? i just can't say !! ;D

Griffith said:
Exactly, the Hawks were all static characters, it was a flashback, Miura wasn't developing anything with them but their end. What we saw were them in their complete, fully developed forms; and they died in them. Did Corkus after grow past his initial dislike of Guts? Could Judeau bring himself to tell Casca he loved her? Did Pippin ever say anything besides, "Look out!"? =)
-Griffith
I think that Miura shown us enough of them just to give us the proper reaction to have at the eclispe, to have a certain knowledge about what Guts might have feeled.
I think that we know enough about Rickert and that he have enough importance to be bringed back in the band.. If Miura wants him back, he'll find a way to.. Sk and his horse ? Everything is possible and we all know it.. everything...

Maybe this is the flashback on Guts were he was alone under the moonlight after killing Gambino in vol 4... Soon this boy is actually refering Guts

Isidro? I guess this is a joke ;D

QUeeN typhonblue said:
Um... how about the time Guts was fighting wolves in the moonlight?

Smith said:
Maybe this is the flashback on Guts were he was alone under the moonlight after killing Gambino in vol 4... Soon this boy is actually refering Guts

I guess we know almost everything about that night.. but since Miura masters the art of surprise, he can find something new about that night !!

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
It seems caska is not as... crazy. Her face is more strait, so to say. Maybe shes gonna regain her sanity much sooner then we thought? Or maybe guts is the boy in the moonlight she remembers? Or maybe im asking too many questions and too many speculations?

sry for the bad wording heh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom