Life span of Berserk?

The recent chapters have got me thinking about a few other things about Berserks life span; I had once thought if it could get up to 50 issues or so that would be really good, and a part of that is possible seeing one of miuras main inspiration was an epic manga longer then most, however there are several reasons to believe this wont be that simple;

I recall someone saying Miura wanted Guts to remain basically human, yet he is on his way to losing his humanity in ways.
Now I dont think he could be called be a normal human now even outside of his strength and skill.
A part of this reason is because of the brand, partly because of the dead always trying to kill him and "the beast" within him slowly taking over his mind, now more then ever. With the berserker armor recently showing the dangers, and also a connection to Skull knight becoming who he is, it is safe to assume as the story goes he will change more and more both physically and mentally.

Anyway the point is unless he changes very slow, its chances of ending are quicker. I suppose it could be told that he would eventually become more powerful and continue his life as something like Skull knight as he is well on his way, then the series really could continue for over a hundred volumes showing his life in 500 years (which I would have no problem with) but then that would contradict the concept of Miuras words for keeping him human or at least basically.

Also it is said that berserk will have a sad or dark ending, I believe he will probably die in the end, and from what I can determine his death will probably be around when he completes his dream or around that concept, and since the whole series is based around Guts's revenge on Griffith that means Miura will probably see no purpose to keep it going, even if Guts survives the story would probably end around that time.

So with the foundations of what I have spoken based upon Miuras words (although I dont know how accurate they are) I find it hard to picture the story going for more then 20 more volumes... but this is pure speculation, who knows.

The last thing I would want to see is the series ends up being dragged on for the sake of it and end up being really long but losing quality of the story line and becoming tedious like so many before, but after 27 volumes I have yet to be let down and keep enough faith in Miura to believe that wont happen before the classic epic ends.

I think he'll easily make 50 volumes. A big fantasy story like this. It's only a matter of time where he gets to incorporate a massive war spanning 3 volumes (here's hoping something like that actually happens). All fantasies have an epic war (yeah I know, not all). There needs to be an epic battle that isn't the conclusion.

B

Beave

Actually, I've heard many people quote that Miura said that he plans on having some sort of happier ending for Guts and Caska. Don't know where from.... on the board I would assume. I've heard more than one person say that Miura said that though. I don't know if there is any validity to it, but.....

Sometimes its hard to tell which claims are true or not. I wouldnt mind seeing a happy ending (though seeing Guts end up as a man of peace in retirement with Caska or something might be a bit much for me) but I would not be surprised, or rather I would expect a dark ending from it as that is darkness that essentially keeps the story going.

I would hope it would go for at least 25 more volumes, thats probably more then 10 years of life left in it, It would be hard to read the finish I think but I would be satisfied with that.

nir085

Horse and Armor
You also have to take Miura's age in consideration as well. I don't know his age myself, but whatever decade he is living in will probably have some kind of effect on when the series ends.

Like if he is 40 right now and plans to continue the 1 volume per year pace, then the series would probably end with Volume 38.

Or maybe he will continue providing us with plot hints until he gets bored one day and decides to end the majority of remaining villains in some kind of massacre. Why not? It's happened before.

As for whether or not Guts will live, I think it's 50/50. Yes his only goal right now may be killing Griffith, but how do you know it will end up being his only goal? Remember how little he cared about his life before he joined BOTH? He didn't even have one goal then. He just didn't care altogether; he only lived because he was too strong to die. Yet he managed to find a happiness in his adulthood. So why can't he discover happiness in his retirement? He has new friends and has gotten over the deaths of his old friends, just like the BOTH Guts got over his many childhood miseries. I just think Guts dying will make his role as a "struggler" a weak one. Self-sacrifice does not need to happen.

I don't think Guts will become a neo-SK either. Forget the fact that that is too circular. What would a neo-SK be able to do if there are no minions to battle? I'm not saying that every spirit/demon will be dead by the end, but at worse there will probably just be a few freaks that need to be kept at bay.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
nir085 said:
Like if he is 40 right now and plans to continue the 1 volume per year pace, then the series would probably end with Volume 38.
Highly doubtfull...

nir085 said:

2 volume per year... and if he is getting old, maybe he will increase the pace all the way to say, 1 vol per month? (Yeah not possible but this is what i really wish)

Now base on his story, i seriously doubt that it will end anytime soon (and i really mean not anywhere near)... In fact to me the story progress had just finish its beginning, now it reach the middle part only

Even at its fastest pace, the story could easily cross the 50 mark (unless Muira decide not to let Guts have its revenge)... First there is Fairy king to be introduce, finding cure for Caska, then the background and the role of the new child, still have Ganishka to settle with and if Guts eventually challenge Griffith (which is many vols later), he would have to pass at least 4 superpower Guardian (provided if Grunbeld is dead) before finally coming to an ultimate epic battle for another few volumes...

The story is still young... there is still quite a lot to go

Yeah there is alot to wrap up, but it is plausable to believe that it could be done within 20 volumes from this point on if he wanted to.

There are other reasons to believe it will go on for a while yet though, like i said he himself claimed that one of his main inspirations came from a long arse epic, something like over 80 volumes but I dont think he is a very old man at all, correct me if im wrong but I think he would only be in his mid 30's, give or take a few years so its not like we have to worry about old age being a issue like Lord of the ring fans did with Tolkien.

Of course there are other issues hardcore Berserk fans should wonder at least once of what could potentially crap all over the life span of Berserk, like a car crash or some shit. Seriously, what if Miura dies in some accident in a week.... what the fuck do you do?

nir085

Horse and Armor
Don't make me think of that...

But yeah, the same risk applies to every artist and many of them probably have some kind of insurance if such a situation arises. Is Miura married? You just spoke of Tolkien and if I remember correctly, his son found the rough drafts of the Similarillon and eventually edited/published them (LotR fans feel free to correct me). I'm sure he has a stash of rough drafts somewhere. If he dies, then someone close to him who knows the series well could just finish his work. With the way he's set up the story so far, he's left room for dozens of intriguing continuations to the story.

Either way, its the type of series which can be concluded 30 volumes from now or 3 volumes from now. Something crazy like an eclipse can occur where most everyone is wiped out in some kind of cataclysmic disaster. Or even more fantasy creatures could be introduced and fully developed.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
as far as I know... Berserk HAS to be his main source of income (money wise)... and its just starting to kick in in the US... dont think this story will end soon...

Sparnage said:
what the fuck do you do?

I will continue the story ;D

Seriously this issue had been on my mind for a long time... Let keep our finger cross that nothing happen to Muira... and he will be able to continue the story all the way till he was 80... I hope that that he had found someone to subsitute him if anything goes wrong... otherwise the story will be left open ended :'(

Nomad said:
as far as I know... Berserk HAS to be his main source of income (money wise)... and its just starting to kick in in the US... dont think this story will end soon...
I don't think the sells in the US can compete with the Japanese. :D

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
akikaze said:
I don't think the sells in the US can compete with the Japanese. :D
dont see why not... my point is that it got to the us. And the manga/anime is growing here (US) now... I really dont think that the story would have a end soon...

Smith said:
Now base on his story, i seriously doubt that it will end anytime soon (and i really mean not anywhere near)... In fact to me the story progress had just finish its beginning, now it reach the middle part only

Even at its fastest pace, the story could easily cross the 50 mark (unless Muira decide not to let Guts have its revenge)... First there is Fairy king to be introduce, finding cure for Caska, then the background and the role of the new child, still have Ganishka to settle with and if Guts eventually challenge Griffith (which is many vols later), he would have to pass at least 4 superpower Guardian (provided if Grunbeld is dead) before finally coming to an ultimate epic battle for another few volumes...

There's also Zodd ,Skullknight and Godhand background story that hasn't been done yet and maybe just maybe Guts parents background storybut that seems unlikely. :-\

ZODDGUTS said:
There's also Zodd ,Skullknight and Godhand background story that hasn't been done yet and maybe just maybe Guts parents background storybut that seems unlikely. :-\

We havent include Isidro yet, and maybe Scherike also

Oh yeah we are forgetting about Griffith background

Nomad said:
dont see why not... my point is that it got to the us. And the manga/anime is growing here (US) now... I really dont think that the story would have a end soon...
For me it sounded like "Now, that it started in the US Miura wouldn't end the story soon, because of the sells in the US."
Maybe I got this wrong, sorry :)

Aconyro

REVENGE!
akikaze said:
For me it sounded like "Now, that it started in the US Miura wouldn't end the story soon, because of the sells in the US."
Maybe I got this wrong, sorry :)

Don't be sorry about your statement. It was right. The U.S. can't compete. We read in the opposite direction. Many of us have a hard time adjusting to it and give up. You misunderstood Nomad but you did nothing to be sorry for.

nir085

Horse and Armor
Smith said:
Caska one is nothing, there is still a lot to introduce...
Nah. Who's really going to care about Griffith's parents? We are basically supposed to assume that he was a spritely, visionary child even at a young age, who was born from normal parents. It's his future that is the mystery; his past has no effect on anything. And if you haven't noticed yet, we don't see the family stories of many of the characters, except for Serpico/Farneze but that is basically meant to illustrate their relationship rather than go into pointless hereditary details. I have a feeling that Guts' background may be touched upon just because he is the main character and has had a weird birth, but even that's not really certain. Unless Skull Knight happens to be his father or for some other totally unpredictable reason.

Aconyro said:
Don't be sorry about your statement. It was right. The U.S. can't compete. We read in the opposite direction. Many of us have a hard time adjusting to it and give up. You misunderstood Nomad but you did nothing to be sorry for.
Maybe I'm just too kind for this world ;D

Nomad said:
exactly... we are all just speculating...
Jep :)

i think 50 would be about right ;D,

but that means we have to wait another 15 years :'(,

oh well, patience is a virtue 8)

- c

Top Bottom