manga translation

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
i was kinda shocked, i went into a manga store in vienna, and what did i find:
kentasrou miura, berserk, vol 1-5... in german!!!

i bought volume 1-4 since i couldn't get my hands on the manga, except on sk.net.
well the translation is really bad ass. gatsu seemed to me like arnie schwarzenegger in T2!

but...

i assume that there's also an english version of the manga out there... but where?

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
Wait a sec, you bought Berserk in german?
Full volumes?
Hmmm...are those by a legal publisher. I didnae know they had a publisher in Germany.

JIN

Yudanero...
Nope... no English version, just the japanese.

Hey I thought I remembered someone from Italy mentioning that they had read the manga but in in the Italian language. Though I could be mistaken(thats been known to happen.... ;D ).

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
Yeah, I think there are chinese versions, italian versions, german versions, and i'm not sure, but there might be a spanish version, and the first volume is out in french...

But nothing in english :(

Not the only manga series to get that treatment. Italy Germany and France get alot of Japanese manga and anime rather quickly, just like China. Though in the European countries there is usually more censorship.

The advantage is, since Berserk anime will be released here, someone may pick it up for publishing. But since it is a long series, it's doubtful unless it is successful. TOKYOPOP or Viz would be who I would expect to grab the manga if it is released. :-/

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I should add this stuff to the FAQ... I mean, we DO have a lot of international Berserk fans and stuff. and the FAQ is terribly bias towards americans...

I just need Book ID's and really good confirmation that each country is INDEED publishing Berserk in their language.

So far we know that Berserk is published in:
Japanese
Chinese
Italian

The rest are just rumors, I want confirmation.

FatalTapper

Some things are worth tapping for...
I am pretty certain that its printed in Thai too. A friend of mine from cali had a bunch of manga translated in thai. They were pretty funky, as they were "flipped" to read from left to right for some reason. I thought only american publishers did that to manga. Anyway, i was thrown for a loop seeing how guts lost his right hand and left eye in the thai version of the manga. Something to think about...

magoamoth

Please... my egg... don't do anything to it... pro
As far that I know, rights have been bought in Germany for 6 or 8 months... But I didn't believe they could publish so fast.

I sent a mail to dybex (belgium editor) to know when they have intention to edite a french version, but I got no answer yet.

That's pretty cool trapped_soul. I would love this because German is the only foreign language I've studied in school(so far). Are they quality translations from what you can tell? If so, I need to find an import shop on the net.

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
I just need Book ID's and really good confirmation that each country is INDEED publishing Berserk in their language.
So far we know that Berserk is published in:
Japanese
Chinese
Italian
The rest are just rumors, I want confirmation.

Well, believe me, if i tell you i got vol. 1-4 in german, walter.
er... i can send you some scans if you want to, and the book-id as well.

I am wondering what's the reason they publish berserk in italian, french, spanish, and german but not in the english language... I don't get the point of this.  :-/

That's pretty cool trapped_soul. I would love this because German is the only foreign language I've studied in school(so far). Are they quality translations from what you can tell? If so, I need to find an import shop on the net.

ammm, let's just say that if i'd know japanese or they'd have published an english version of the manga, i pretty much preferred not to stick with a german-speaking gattsu.   ;)

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
I am wondering what's the reason they publish berserk in italian, french, spanish, and german but not in the english language... I don't get the point of this.  :-/

Well, in europe comics aren't just for kids, so they are much likely to import more 'adult' themed works...

*sighs* We had this wonderful swedish guy named Horscht Schöder who translated and imported quality french and italian comics, and for a little while there we could read the creme de la creme of the comic artform here in sweden.

Then the moralists shut him down, and the big corporations bought the distribution business, and now we don't have comics in sweden  :(

Damn... french comics are goooood   *drools*

ammm, let's just say that if i'd know japanese or they'd have published an english version of the manga, i pretty much preferred not to stick with a german-speaking gattsu.   ;)

Considering the context of the Berserk universe, German seems a bit more "realistic" than Japanese but I would say reading it in the original Japanese gives the best interpretation of Berserk. After all there was a real German soldier named Götz with a mechanical hand. I believe it's a coincidence that Miura named his character Guts and that he has a mechanical hand but still...

As far as ordering it, the only place I've found is www.animestore.de for about 14 DM/ $7 a volume and they only have 1-5. I would guess amazon.de might carry it soon as well.

icefall

I need more sleep -_- zzz
I have some Thai scans and know I've seen korean somewhere out there... Lemme look! (The thai ones were official too, completely redone with copyright and everything)

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
After all there was a real German soldier named Götz with a mechanical hand.

What you're talking about is the drama "Götz von Berlichingen" from Johann Wolfgang Goethe...
er... believe me if I tell you the character has nothing to do with Gattsu. Miura was indeed not inspired by that one.

I believe it's a coincidence that Miura named his character Guts and that he has a mechanical hand

yeah! right!

but still...

naaaa!!!! ;)

What you're talking about is the drama "Götz von Berlichingen" from Johann Wolfgang Goethe...
er... believe me if I tell you the character has nothing to do with Gattsu. Miura was indeed not inspired by that one.

No, there was in fact a real soldier of that name. That drama was based off the memoirs of Götz von Berlichingen. :) And as I said it is strange coincidence concerning Guts.

Btw, do you know the Book ID's yet? I would really appreciate that.

Top Bottom