New obsessed fan here!

Kryodus

I'm a llama!
Lets start off by saying Ive seen very few animes until about a week ago.

I remember liking ranma 1/2 a long time ago so I decided to pick up some random anime video for the hell of it, berzerk had cool animation on the cover so I decided to try the first one.

I ended up renting all 5 in a row and watched every episode consecutivly mesmerized by the pure genious that is this anime.

Now, the ending really pissed me off as it LEFT SO MANY QUESTIONS UNANSWAERED!!!

Now; ive been researching and reading about magna's and how the story has long progressed past the end of the anime.

I know there are some translations here; but not as much as id hope.

The questions:

1.Could someone please explain to me what happened from the time of the last episode to the first episode?

2. I want to order the magna; I have some websites to do it from; do most of you who own the magnas know japanese or do you go by translators + art? Is it worth it for the story to do that?

I have a zillion other questions about the story; but Im sure I can research about them.

Right, the manga will explain everything. Dark horse has released 3 volumes so far 4th one expected within a month. It will probably continue to do so every 3 months until the series finishes.

If you can't wait that long then buy the Japanese ones which are probably shown here where to get them from, they go up to 26 and I think 27 is soon to be realised. You can find the translations for the Japanese version here.

Most people here hold the Berserk manga much higher than the anime.

thorshammer

I'm a llama!
Welcome Kryodus. Like you I was introduced via anime and loved it. I knew it was an ongoing series and had to konw more. The mangas are quite good, but slow in coming out. the more you learn and read, the more you'll want. ;D

Kryodus

I'm a llama!
The thing is; this website doesnt have most of the translations up?
Maybe im missing something but how do you guys buy some of the magna just inferring what happens from the art?

Nah, some of us use the hawks's translations. Check their website: www.thehawks.org

Use bittorrent to download all 26 mangas. They're all decent translations, even though some of the members here will tell you otherwise.

Jeice the Damned said:
Nah, some of us use the hawks's translations. Check their website: www.thehawks.org

Use bittorrent to download all 26 mangas. They're all decent translations, even though some of the members here will tell you otherwise.

They are decent like you said, but not really accurate, there's some details that will lead you of misunderstand the story on a long term range.

Smith said:
Was it because of Dark horse they remove vol 1-3?

I think thats a good idea, I have no problem with the scans unless the Dark horse version of them are available, even if it will take a eternity to ever come close to catching up to volume 27, people should be getting them to replace the scans.

I suppose people could just get the japanese version but I think i'll be better off waiting for Dark horses slow arse.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Dark Horse liscensed 1-12... meaning that copyrights now apply in the US for those volumes.

Last I saw... they only show after the 1st eclipse.

This is a bit off topic but I can't understand why Dark horse takes so goddamn long to translate and scan a volume of their manga.

Seriously most comic production teams have to keep up creating comics of 30 pages on monthly basis.
Ok a volume of a manga is usually 200 pages or more but the worst of it is out of the way, the drawing and inking has been done, there is no need to color and the words may be in a different language but they are still there so it wouldn't take that long for a fluent translator to do, not that manga consists of heaps of words to deal with in most cases so whats the problem?

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Sparnage said:
can't understand why Dark horse takes so goddamn long to translate and scan a volume of their manga.

Seriously most comic production teams have to keep up creating comics of 30 pages on monthly basis.
Ok a volume of a manga is usually 200 pages or more but the worst of it is out of the way, the drawing and inking has been done, there is no need to color and the words may be in a different language but they are still there so it wouldn't take that long for a fluent translator to do, not that manga consists of heaps of words to deal with in most cases so whats the problem?

Ever heard of "Gross Publications"? :-\

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Sparnage said:
No I haven't actually.
a company that is not in good standings (economicly)... always do what they call a "Gross Move" wich in this case, Dark Horse is not going to rush to publish Berserk Mangas unless it surpases the income expextations that the company has for its releases... wich by the looks of it... its going quite stable. If it keeps groing... then more volumes will become available faster... if not... Dark Horse or any other company is not going to risk their economical budget for the sake of a few fans ;D

In other words, consider it a "you touch, I touch" thing :p

Makes sense but surely out of all the manga's they have printed several of them would have sold better than expectations, or at least to not worry about money yet I don't think I have ever seen a manga series released any quicker by them later on.

Dark horse has said several times that it's one of the most eagerly anticipated manga properties in recent years, I'm not sure if it's a best seller or anything but it's not selling badly.
Something tells me though that after this 12 licensed volumes slowly but surely come out Dark horse will probably continue to print more afterwards however I am guessing they will not come out any faster regardless of how well they sell, and to me they have a obligation to bring them out faster when they are this far behind for the fans sake.

BiQ_

" ... "
Nomad said:
Dark Horse liscensed 1-12... meaning that copyrights now apply in the US for those volumes.

Just to clarify, the copyrights of the artwork contained in every single volume ever published in Japan have applied in U.S. since the Berne convention...

Or more accurately, the U.S. copyright law applies to the works created in other berne convention-signing countries (pretty much nearly every country that matters by any stretch of the word, have no idea if Taiwan is still outside) and vice versa. The fact that japanese anime/manga companies have not historically bothered to hunt down copyright infringements in other countries does not mean they couldn't do it if they really wanted.

Top Bottom