New Board / New Bullshit

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
We needed an upgrade. We were old-fashioned. We were over a year old in BBS technology. By the end of this upgrade, everyone will appreciate the new features. Most of them are admin-side only but hey... I'm having fun 8)

Please bear with me during the re-colorization. I know its not perfect right now, but it will be.

-Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Wally B

nir085

Horse and Armor
Ohhhh. I thought it was just Griffith or you trying to end this site or pulling some Great Eclipse prank on us, since all of that Skull Lord/deletion/VHB fiasco stuff happened just yesterday. Guess I guessed wrong.

Glad things are ok and in the process of improvement. When I checked the BBS earlier today and got the "load.php"-like error page I thought this place took a bullet to the head.

Anyways, good luck with the new features. The old features suited me just fine, but I'm looking forward to what you are going to cook up next. I already like the new features of the profile page (the layout is the only thing, but you already know that). And you're planning on changing the stars to something else, right?

Walter said:
Not anymore  ;D

Let's just say, things are under control now.

(I'm Big Brother... and I'm always watching you...)
Vampier_Hunter_Bob must be O'Brien then  >:(

I seem to be the only one using the "Simple Machine Forum" layout so far. ;D

I love it Walt, you've done a good job so far. The only thing I don't really like is how the avatars have to be a certain size or it will put a little scrollbar on them. But I'm sure you'll fix that.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Can't wait to see how it'll turn out. If you need any help, you know I'm around :)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Uriel said:
Can't wait to see how it'll turn out. If you need any help, you know I'm around :)

I'll try to help out too, even though I'm just a stupid n00b. =)

-Trans

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
*reminds Walter to remember to un-default the
off.gif
icons*

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Okay, maybe this belongs in the "Helping Walter" i.e. "Generating More Work For Walter =)" thread, but here are my suggestions for tiny and not so tiny improvments...

Tiny: Make signature and the personal quote text small again, it looks like shit.

Bigger: Update the news page, but not with news of course, but something permanant yet useful or progressive. Such as an explanation of the site and how it works with specific descriptions on each section. A nice permanant first timers guide to SK.net instead of news page that hasn't been updated in months is an improvment. OR, scrap the "main page" alltogether and have the BBS be the direct destination after the splash page, with the different site sections still located above in their nifty flash window. You can even still have simple, pithy descriptions somewhere above the board. OR, option three, make the FAQ the main page. Especially if the updated one is ever complete enough to be released (which it already is, and quite the most badass put together presentation of Berserk info, IMO). I feel like all anybody does is go to the BBS (I have it bookmarked by itself, to me, it IS sk.net). So either make it official and make it the main page since it's where all the "action" is, or help push the FAQ by putting it up front (it's too good not to be looked at). Again, all three of these ideas can be combined to some degree, it wouldn't exactly be a lot of work to do, and any of them are a big improvment over what we have now. Nothing says dead like a news page with no news.

BIGGEST (OR, dumbest): Chat Room 3.0

The new kids on the block seem more chatty. See if it works for them, at the worst people will have the option.

-Griff

I

Italian_demon

Wow this work is amazing!!

Congratulations to all the stuff!!

Did anyway tried to contact Miura??
I strongly think he should see what an incredible Job are you guys doing!!!

best wishes!!!

It'd be neat if we could somehow contact Miura and get him to publish the Encyclopedia but with Walt's and everyone who helped name in it. That is, when its done.

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Jon Schaffer said:
It'd be neat if we could somehow contact Miura and get him to publish the Encyclopedia but with Walt's and everyone who helped name in it. That is, when its done.

Its also neat if miura announced berserk official colors. It would also be neat if berserk manga came in color! And also the neatest of neat would be if the 2nd season came out, and was exactly like the manga.

What im saying is that i dont think its gonna happen :-[. (try not to take this as an insult)

"Griffith No More!" said:
BIGGEST (OR, dumbest): Chat Room 3.0

The new kids on the block seem more chatty. See if it works for them, at the worst people will have the option.

-Griff

That's hot. Then when Im hella bored (like i am now) I could talk to you wonderful ppl. ;D If its possible that is :)

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
I remember the old chat room, weren't people never in because of conflicting time zone's or something? ???

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Mr. Badguy said:
I remember the old chat room, weren't people never in because of conflicting time zone's or something? ???
That actually wasn't even an issue. It came down to laziness on everyone's part.

Walter have you thought about installing the RC1 version of SMF. I've been using it for the music forums I admin and its very stable. Im not too sure what the difference is between the beta your using and the RC1 though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It's not really hard to find.

From Beta 5 to 6:

- New smiley manager interface, including an easier admin interface and the option of adding a popup window.
- Cleaner admin interface with easy links to the most used areas.
- Search has been optimized for faster performance and many new options added to the admin interface for it.
- It is possible to set default theme settings for all users, and to force settings on members.
- Addition of database sessions to enable the forum to work correctly on poorly configured servers.
- Several new options added to the member's "look and layout" section of the profile.
- When posting a message, any errors generated will not result in the post being lost.
- The post screen will now warn you if new replies were added whilst making your post.
- Many package manager improvements. (it almost works properly now!)
- It is now possible to add as many options to a poll as you wish with javascript.
- You can limit the amount of attachments that can be added to a post.
- People can register with a wider variety of characters in there name, plus more internationalization.

From Beta 6 to RC1:

* Parse errors in templates are displayed better.
* A preview column has been added to Edit Forum News.
* Ban center restyled and now includes an interface to view ban logs.
* Added "Male to Female ratio" and "Users Online Today" to the statistics page.
* Added avatar management (in Attachment Manager.)
* Board themes can now override the user configured theme.
* If new replies are made between reading a thread and replying, a warning message can be displayed.
* Admins can now change their member's usernames
* Viewing members from a group now has a new template, with options to easily add and remove members from said group.
* Option to upload smileys in the smiley center
* New smiley manager interface, including an easier admin interface and the option of adding a popup window.
* Cleaner admin interface with easy links to the most used areas.
* Search has been optimized for faster performance and many new options added to the admin interface for it.
* It is possible to set default theme settings for all users, and to force settings on members.
* Addition of database sessions to enable the forum to work correctly on poorly configured servers.
* Several new options added to the member's "look and layout" section of the profile.
* When posting a message, any errors generated will not result in the post being lost.
* The post screen will now warn you if new replies were added whilst making your post.
* Many package manager improvements. (it almost works properly now!)
* It is now possible to add as many options to a poll as you wish with javascript.
* You can limit the amount of attachments that can be added to a post.
* People can register with a wider variety of characters in there name, plus more internationalization.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Uh, I didn't even know RC1 was released. Finally! Well, I'll hop on the "get stuff done" bus once school and my job start back up. Then I'll have time. (~a week or so)

Until then, please wallow in the inferiority that is our BBS... two versions behind the current release :eek:

Top Bottom