Bloodline - SK and Guts

Just throwing out this idea to you guys since I have never seen anyone else mention it... Has anyone ever thought that Guts is a descendent of Gaiseric? I was always struck by the physical similarities in skull and build structure between the two. Even the flashback we have of Gaiseric in his helmet looks like Guts wearing his old skull cap helmet from Band of the Hawk days. Not to mention they both seem to be completely badass. That sort of badassness just doesn't come out of nowhere you know, it runs in the family.

Admittedly not too much solid to back it up, but it just strikes me as right. What do you think?

That would make a great twist to the story....and would also make more sense as to why Skull Knight has gone to such trouble to protect Guts.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
I find this quite interesting...yet, I wonder if there's at least some kind of "concrete" evidence that supports you're theory. Anyone care to share their extensive knowledge in this matter?

Miyu

I'm smiling on the inside.
Regarding Guts's parentage, we really don't know much. His biological father is a complete mystery and the only thing we know about his mother is that she was hung for some sort of crime. By looking at the scene where Gambino finds baby Guts, you can guess that Guts's mother was a young village girl. Since that's everything we know about Gut's parents, there's no telling who his decendents are, but that certainly doesn't rule out the possibility that he could be a part of Gaiseric's bloodline. Only Skullknight knows the answer to this question.

I always figured that Guts's mother was a heretic as was his father and they were both hung from the tree. Then the second thought I had is that she was raped and somehow she wound up on the tree.

Guts being a descendant to SK would make sense with the scene where Guts first encounters him after leaving the Hawks. SK came to Guts to warn him and not any of the others.

Denial said:
Even the flashback we have of Gaiseric in his helmet looks like Guts wearing his old skull cap helmet from Band of the Hawk days.
This could be a hint, especially when you look at the expression of the eye of both of them. But that's the only one I see...

Skull Knight said:
That would make a great twist to the story....and would also make more sense as to why Skull Knight has gone to such trouble to protect Guts.
This would imply that Skully knows what will happen, that he knows the future to a certain extent. And he certainly did and does.
I would say he tried to take some influence on Guts' path, just because he is the one closest to Griffith, a future God Hand. Guts is just a pice of the puzzle. I'd like to see another connection between those two, though.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
akikaze said:
This would imply that Skully knows what will happen, that he knows the future to a certain extent. And he certainly did and does.

not neceserally... It can also be he's extensive experience with deeling with GH. For someone who has been around for all those years, plus deeling with God Hand and such, it's logical for him to have quite an acurrate prediction towards them.

Nomad said:
not neceserally... It can also be he's extensive experience with deeling with GH. For someone who has been around for all those years, plus deeling with God Hand and such, it's logical for him to have quite an acurrate prediction towards them.
Either way, it results in the same thing.

I

Italian_demon

Denial said:
Just throwing out this idea to you guys since I have never seen anyone else mention it... Has anyone ever thought that Guts is a descendent of Gaiseric? I was always struck by the physical similarities in skull and build structure between the two. Even the flashback we have of Gaiseric in his helmet looks like Guts wearing his old skull cap helmet from Band of the Hawk days. Not to mention they both seem to be completely badass. That sort of badassness just doesn't come out of nowhere you know, it runs in the family.

Admittedly not too much solid to back it up, but it just strikes me as right. What do you think?

I agree with Sparnage, i think that if your theory was correct Miura would give us some doubts about it or some more hints!
First i think that as Gaiseric is a blue blooded, Guts would is supposed to have blue blood, so why in the Manga there is no mention about a familiar of Gaiseric lost 1000 years ago or kinda?
Seconds point why his mother (coming from a blue blood family, even though trying to hide his real identity ended up that way, without a minimal mention to the possible origins of his family??), i think that if Guts and Gaiseric were relatives, then Miura would have put some more particulars about his family and how they got killed... Instead we have nothing about them)........ Unless all of this Miura is saving for the future... but to me sounds quite strange!
Anyway nice theory!

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
I don't like the SK is Guts's ancestor theory simply because it's cliche to have the protagonist be the descendant of some uber warrior. Besides, I'd figure Gaiseric's family would have been wiped out when his empire was sacrificed.

Woland said:
I don't like the SK is Guts's ancestor theory simply because it's cliche to have the protagonist be the descendant of some uber warrior.  Besides, I'd figure Gaiseric's family would have been wiped out when his empire was sacrificed.

Given his brutal character i doubt he have a family, perhap he raped many girl and one of them was impregnant with his child which later give rise to Guts 1000 yrs later?

Smith said:
Given his brutal character i doubt he have a family, perhap he raped many girl and one of them was impregnant with his child which later give rise to Guts 1000 yrs later?

Quite funny actually, there is actually something like this in China/Mongolia. They traced common genetic markers in large segments of the population back to one ancestor (Genghis Khan). But I don't really know about this. We don't know anything about Gaiseric's character other than what is shown by Skull Knight-- He might've been a berserker at one point, but so is Guts and he hasn't raped anyone yet.

Most significantly, to me, is the connection that both Skull Knight and Guts are "jumping fish." While it's entirely conceivable that Skull Knight and Guts are unrelated (except for being in the same "spiral" of Fate, following the same path, wearing the same armor...). The metacommentary on Guts' role in the story from Miura in titling one of the chapters after the second eclipse ~"The Jumping Fish" and Skull Knight's self-reflection on being ~"outside the means of time" suggest to me that Idea's control over Fate is not complete (it is logically impossible to be in complete control of Fate, in any case) and that at certain points both Guts and Skull Knight are able to "jump the stream" of Fate, to act not according to some grand plan devised by this nigh-omnipotent third party entity, Idea, but to manifest their own free will.

Why would Idea allow Guts to be born if it was the case that he could screw up its plans? You may argue, "It permitted Guts' existence to help Griffith fulfill his destiny." Yet if Idea were able to dictate everything, there would be absolutely no need to introduce a potentially chaotic element into the Grand Design™. Griffith would fulfill his destiny regardless of any external factors because Idea could make it happen with or without Guts. Their existence indicates a flaw, a vulnerability in the plan. No one else seems to be able to act as they do, so what is the one common element between the two?

It's entirely possible that they are just simply independent artifacts of the system of Fate's own writhing under the control of an external entity, Idea, which just so happened to manifest about 1000 years apart from each other. But I find it much more probable that the flaw was not able to be stamped out, that it has persisted since 1000 years ago, and that it manifest again in Guts, the struggler, in response to the movements in preparation for the double eclipse. In the Berserk universe (and in reality, too) the most important, the most efficacious magical component is blood. The Behelits are activated by blood, both Godhand and Apostle require a sacrifice of blood, and the only death that these beings can know is to be wounded until their last drop of blood flows out of them. It seems only fitting to me that the power to escape, if only for a moment, the dictates of the plan that has been devised for all man, should be transmitted through a bloodline.

Judo

Midlands finest
maybe skully has a huge bunch of skeleton-kids to fight apostles all around the world.

here's one of them:
09.jpg

the lost skeleton of cadavra

akikaze said:
Is this supposed to be funny?

No. Just pointing out the sheer absurdity of claiming Gatts could be the son of Skullknight.

There's like a millenia gap between them, and I highly doubt Skullknight's the most promiscuous character around.

akikaze said:
Ok, then I can call you a moron. ;D
Read the first post and then tell me what you got wrong, moron.

Oh crap. *repeatedly hits head* Baka baka baka!

Apologies. ^_^;;

Still, I find it unlikely to be the case. Surely if it were that simple there would be loads of his descendants, a big powerful Ghengis Khan type character. Considering how much that kind of character 'spread his seed.'

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Smith said:
LOL!!!! Guts is SK son... Hahahahahaha

Well... that must be how he survived... (Skeleton + Female corpes = wierd child?) Hey, skully can still pop a boner, so we shouldn't be closed minded ::).

Top Bottom