Berserk voice acting

Nomad said:
One voice that really botherd me was Zodd's (japanese). 

I think the japanese voice actors are better than the english. But the english are good too. Nobutoshi "Canna" Hayashi is great for Gatsu :D! Zodd's seiyuu is great too :), the same as Shenlong in Dragonball, DBZ ^_^

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
Opie said:
Same thing in Legacy of Kain. Raziel, a rather young sounding Vampire,  is voiced by a rather old man. Weird.
Raziel's pretty old compared to Michael Bell (his vocal actor) :p, anyway could anyone other than Michael Bell pull off that well spoken yet defiant tone?

Well J. David Brimmer is the voice of Zodd the Immortal, but i cant find any pictures. well He Played in:
Amon Saga as Gaius
Assemble Insert as Hattori
Berserk as Zodd the Immortal
Boogiepop Phantom as Officer Morita
Irresponsible Captain Tylor as Lt. Makato Yamamoto
Jewel BEM Hunter Lime  as Doc
Now and Then, Here and There as Drillmaster
Slayers Try  as Almayce; Sailor
Space Travelers  as Crush Bomber

Ok i just watched more than half of the series in Japanese. and i have to admit that i still like the English version more. they just seem to fit the charters better. i am by no means saying that i disliked the Japanese VA. i just like the English ones more. and the girl that was Casca's VA was not that bad. i think her voice fit perfectly along with the rest.

and IF or (please god)When they make a second season i hope they still use the same voice actors. i really have to give credit where it is due.

sorry but i had to revive this thread i have been wanting to for quite some time ;D

Sparnage said:
BAH to most of you, Japanese voice acting all the way. Any english voice over I have seen isn't necessarily always crap, but it always takes away part of the general Anime atmosphere and culture that was originally created.

Anime is Japanese, so let it remain the way it was created without westerners fucking with it any more than is needed. What are you all semi illiterate or something? Subtitles move too fast?

Exactly

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
BAH to most of you, Japanese voice acting all the way. Any english voice over I have seen isn't necessarily always crap, but it always takes away part of the general Anime atmosphere and culture that was originally created.

Anime is Japanese, so let it remain the way it was created without westerners fucking with it any more than is needed. What are you all semi illiterate or something? Subtitles move too fast?
Hear hear

Maiku said:
Walter said:
Hear hear
ok i guess i have to reply to both of you guys with this quote  8)
DarkDragoon said:
it really depends on what you saw first. Once your mind hears a character talking.. it notes that as being the voice of the character.. so then hearing it differently wouldn't seem right to you.
i think that its true. when i watch the anime in Japanese it just seems to be missing something. and its the American voice actors that i grew so accustomed to. the Japanese voice actors were good but in my opinion they were not as good as the English voice actors.

and think about this. if they do make a second season anytime soon. the old Japanese voice actors might not be the same. i mean i have not done any research on imdb or google to see what the old voice actors are up to. but they might be diffrent. it was made so long ago they might not be working as voice actors anymore. so they might have completely diffrent voices,and since the English one's are a little over a year and a half ago. they're still doing the same thing(from what i have read). so you'll hear them in a second season(if it ever happens)

and now when ever i read the manga i have the English VA, voices set as they're actual voices. i don't know if you guys picture the charters sounding like the Japanese voice actors?

Aazealh said:
Hahaha. If.
i know. its actually quite sad how i keep wishing for one lol.
Aazealh said:
They're the same in the PS2 game though.
no shit dude :eek:. i did not even know that. thats awsome that they used them. i really have to get the game!
Aazealh said:
PS:
Your opinion sucks! ;D
horrible lol ;D

oh yeah i forgot to add the english voice actors for Berserk RULE!!!!!! lol

*EDIT*
Walter said:
My Guts has a deeper voice 8)
My Guts sounds cooler 8)

BiQ_

" ... "
DarthVenom said:
and think about this. if they do make a second season anytime soon. the old Japanese voice actors might not be the same. i mean i have not done any research on imdb or google to see what the old voice actors are up to. but they might be diffrent. it was made so long ago they might not be working as voice actors anymore.

Well, most of the Japanese voice actors for the PS2 game were the same (when applicable, of course) as in anime... Guts, Casca, Griffith, Zodd, Judeau, Corcus, Pippin, at least. It's 00:42 AM where I'm living and I'm tired so please forgive me if I missed anyone who appears both in anime and game... And the PS2 game was newer than the anime. Oh, the voices were still the same, at least sufficiently so.

About the whole debacle, well, I just about never watch my anime dubbed. Kind of a habit, I guess. Doesn't really matter nowadays, since with dvd's we can have best of both worlds and anime companies seem to understand the point of purist fans by now. That being said, I checked the Berserk dub one day and found out that in the case of Berserk they seemed to be able to pull it off somewhat well.

But I still watch it with Japanese audio, thank you.  ;)

... damn. Aazealh got there (about PS2 game) first. That teaches me to write too long posts. :p

Well, like I said before, I enjoy the English voice actors better. It matches the whole European setting. The voices are good for the Japanese at times, but other times I just can't see the characters, whether it be Guts, Griffith, or whoever sounding like that. On the opposite end, the English acting in Hellsing is ok, but the Japanese voices are soooo much better. I suppose my only really dislike of the Japanese voices in Berserk, is that it just doesn't match. Imagine watching Berserk in spanish, not that spanish is bad, it just wouldnt match. If the characters were Japanese, I would watch the Japanes voice in subtitiles hands down. I guess I just like the more realistic things myself, I know everyone doesn't, but to each his own. ;D

- C

mahlernut

I call the big one Bitey!
Agent_C said:
Well, like I said before, I enjoy the English voice actors better. It matches the whole European setting.

- C

This is particularly amusing when one considers what portion of Europe speaks English natively.

Of course, I've always loved the whole sub/dub debate, and wish people would leave it at "I like being able to understand what's being said without having to read it," cause its a reasonable point. Anything beyond that, though, and you're deciding that the only thing of any importance to what you're watching is the original animation (or, in the case of live film, the image originally captured on screen). Somehow, the direction of the creators, the contribution of the original actors (which, at best, are being aped by the dub cast and, at worst, being ignored), and on a more sophisticated level, the absolutely inevitable cultural contribution of the original creator and the language in which the work was created. Miura isn't giving us some sort of hack-rate translation of a story that he should be writing in English...or is the translation that Dark Horse is issuing more "authentic" to the milieu as well, and thus preferable (even for those who can read the original) to what Miura wrote? Its an inconsistent argument otherwise...

mahlernut
Its an inconsistent argument otherwise...

I agree. There isn't really a certain part of Europe the story takes place in. It doesn't even take place in Europe. Just based on the settings it looks like a Europe type of place, and the characters faces seem to go along, so I just see English as the language. You are correct also, it is just a person's own personal view. Listen to what you like I say! :-*

- C

I hate to bring back such an old topic but I knew there was something on the berserk dub. alright here's what I think.

The Good: Marc Diraison as Guts. He pretty much nailed this role from the beginning. Kevin Collins as Griffith, he was perfect from the get go. Mike Pollock as Adon, likewise perfect. He was just what I though he would sound like. also David J Brimmer as Odd was rocking as well. John Avner as Void was really good to.

The Bad: ouch where to start. well Carolyn Elizabeth as Casca was just painful. She made casca sound way to bitchy, and she her voice made casca sound like she was nagging everyone she talked to. Alot of Background characters and background voices sounded down right goofy. I think I heard this classic cheeze o' line "Their everywhere man" in a sufer accent. also some rather silly dialog like Carcus's "Dear god spare our soul." while the japanese script wasn't the best, the dub script just sounded really goofy at times.

whew. also the studio that dubbed it is called "NYAV Post a really overrated studio.

Personally, I was really disappointed with the Berserk dub. The dubbing in the first episode was embarrassing, and less than five minutes into the next ep I switched back to the Japanese track. The dub in the Dreamcast game was a bit cheesy, but at least most of the voices fit the characters, IMO. But to those who liked the dub, more power to ya.

Jon Schaffer said:
Since someone mentioned Legacy of Kain, I'm not sure, but doesn't that Elder God (The enormous talking eye) sound like the same voice actor as the opening narrator ("In this world...")?   I was wrong, Tony Jay was not the narrator.

I thought Balzac from the DC game was voiced by Tony Jay, but then I found out it was Earl Boen, a.k.a. Doctor Silberman from the Terminator movies. XD

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Alucalb said:
I thought Balzac from the DC game was voiced by Tony Jay, but then I found out it was Earl Boen, a.k.a. Doctor Silberman from the Terminator movies. XD
Hehe, for some reason I never really pictured him as a voice actor for video games (much less for a Berserk game). :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Really, Guts and Griffith's voices in the US dub suck. They're nauseating. I don't know how you guys can like them.

Alucalb said:

That guy kicks ass. :guts:

Top Bottom