Berserk voice acting

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IsolatioN said:
I hope we can all agree that, while the Manga beats the anime very easily, the anime was excelent simply for being Berserk. You can't go wrong with Berserk :)

or atleast thats how I see it. Sure it had its faults, but I enjoyed it. I can't speak for everyone I guess, but its better then no anime (imo).
King Griffith? :griff: Extra Adon scenes? :schierke: A butchered escape from Wyndham? :miura:

Not sure I agree that the anime was great. I guess it exposed more people to the series (myself included), but honestly it's sort of an embarassment now.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Thats sort of what I was aiming for. It managed to get quite a few more people into the manga simply because they saw the anime. Like you said though it is sort of an embarassment looking back, but when you first saw it didn't you think it was great?(or atleast enjoyed it enough to get the manga)? Well, yes not everyone came to berserk through the Anime,(I indirectly found berserk because of the anime. I heard about the anime from a friend and decided to order the manga). But it did play a fairly large role in the growth of Berserk popularity in places outside of Japan.

Also I'd just like to say please, no one take any offense from my words :) I apologize if I am sounding crude/rude/"you must listen to what I say!!!" because I don't mean to :)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IsolatioN said:
Also I'd just like to say please, no one take any offense from my words :) I apologize if I am sounding crude/rude/"you must listen to what I say!!!" because I don't mean to :)

Don't worry, I don't see how your post could be mistaken as offensive. People have different opinions (founded or not) regarding the quality of the anime and its worth in general, but as long as everybody's happy with what they have there shouldn't be any problem. Now the topic of this thread was originally voice acting (and there are enough threads about the anime itself not to hijack this one), so if there's nothing more to say about it I think it'd better to just leave it as it is.

D

Dragon Warrior

It's pretty bad they changed Guts's old Japanese voice actor. He was very good.
Why did they even change it? The new one looks way too young to me. It doesnt fit Guts very well.

I mostly like dubs tho. Guts English voice fits him very well.

Figured this was the most appropriate place to post this news (since I wasn't sure if it warranted its own thread).
https://youtu.be/WbTd4o4ZH-M
But Kevin T. Collins lended his voice to doing a second "Did You Know Anime?" video on Berserk. It mostly covers trivia and info from relatively recent interviews and/or old interviews that were recently translated into English. Also the site is sourced a couple of times and given a special Thanks as well, which I thought was neat.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Theozilla said:
Figured this was the most appropriate place to post this news (since I wasn't sure if it warranted its own thread).
https://youtu.be/WbTd4o4ZH-M

"Statements like this, along with the incredibly long hiatuses have made many question Miura's physical and mental health"

Many what ... many morons? This is such a ridiculous reasoning. Miura doesn't plan every detail out years in advance, and he takes breaks. Add it up — PERHAPS he's insane or incapacitated! Why even include rumor-monger stuff like this along with the other primary source material? I guess I should be happy they didn't bring up Idolm@ster?

Despite that portion, it's good overall. But I think they dipped their toes a little too heavily into riffraff commentary. Interviews with Miura? Great. But who cares what the 2016 or the 2011 animation people have to say about things? Their involvement with the series is tangential at best.

Walter said:
"Statements like this, along with the incredibly long hiatuses have made many question Miura's physical and mental health"

Many what ... many morons? This is such a ridiculous reasoning. Miura doesn't plan details out years in advance, and he takes breaks. Add it up — PERHAPS he's insane or incapacitated! Why even include rumor-monger stuff like this along with the other primary source material? I guess I should be happy they didn't bring up Idolm@ster?

Despite that portion, it's good overall. But I think they dipped their toes a little too heavily into riffraff commentary. Interviews with Miura? Great. But who cares what the 2016 or the 2011 animation people have to say about things? Their involvement with the series is tangential at best.

This is why i dislike Berserk Youtube related content, it's not just some guy posting some comment somewhere, but instead spreading misinformation to the masses. A bunch of idiotic baseless claims in so many videos, and the viewers end up believing them because they don't know any better.

I was also glad that they didn't bring up the Idolm@ster false rumor/fandom meme. And at least they did stare at the end that the physical/mental health rumors was only speculation. I guess that is what happens when a mangaka is private about their personal affairs, while other mangaka like Togashi and Kohske have made statements about their physical health affecting their ability to work, so the first thing fans speculate on is the mangaka's physical health (especial since the rigorous work schedule mangaka often have to endure has become more common knowledge in recent years).

I love the japanese voice actors for Berserk '97, I think they are superior.

I will never understand the praising of the english dub, especially not since Griffiths voice actor is the worst I've ever heard. He doesn't sound like an actor at all, he just sounds like some random dude picked off the streets for this voice acting job. Or like a guy who won a contest to be the voice of a character in an anime.

His voice is incredibly average and monotone at that. They might just as well have picked Stephen Hawking to be the voice of Griffith...

Guts' english voice sounds too much like one of the old Honest-Trailer voices, in my opinion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gugBiEkLwU

Top Bottom