So is Zodd stronger than Grunbled?

Im just curious on this because I want to know if a fully healed guts would be a match for Grunbeld and if Guts is truely a toy to Zodd. I have to say some of my ideas were shot down and it really does seem like Zodd is playing with fire esspecially now that guts has the Berserker Armor

D

darkbane

This is pretty far out there, eh? ;D They're probably just about equal, or Zodd is slightly stronger. It's hard to compare oponents who have widely different fighting styles, and you didn't say if we're talking about one individual form or their combat effectiveness overall, but...

Just to speculate: their behavior within the raiding party at Flora's mansion; Grunbeld defers to Zodd politely while Zodd just shrugs an gives consent. To me this can mean one of two things.

a) The relationships between apostles in the BotH is based on power, in which case Zodd is a natural leader because he's the strongest.

b) or based on rank. I don't think apostles would go along with that, but since they're playing at being knights they just might do so anyway. In this case we can't tell.

As for their combat effectiveness: This is just a guess, but based on their performance against Guts, I think that Zodd is the faster one, while Grunbeld is the stronger one. Both also use their head to fight, it seems. (I mean intelligence and not head-butts) This concerns their human form. Their apostle forms are so much different that I'll just sound stupid if I try to make a judgement call there.

Guts already proved to be more than a match for Grunbeld in human form (with berserker armor it no longer mattered if he was healed or not). He cracked Grunbeld's apostle form so he is probably a match for that one too - they fled because it was dangerous to keep on fighting against multiple apostles in his present condition, and because the area was about to be sealed off from the human world, not because he was no match. At least that's how I understood it.

Dunno about Guts being a toy for Zodd. Guts was certainly overpowered by Zodd's apostle form, and Zodd might well have killed him if Griffith did not interfere. But now with the berserker armor, as you say, a match between Guts and Zodd would be, to say the least, interesting.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Remember though, Guts is allways overpowered by apostle forms. But thats just brute force... Every big apostle fight has been a loseing battle that Guts suffers through. Saying Guts was getting knocked around by Zodd doesn't mean a thing, its what allways happens...

When Guts last fought Zodd, he wasn't focusing on the monster. At first, he didn't care about killing Zodd so long as he could get to Griffith. Later, he became more concerned with Caska's saftey.

Really, I don't think we can say who'd win based on the Hill of Swords.

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
If you think about Zodd and Guts fight on the hill of swords, Guts was at 100%. In the fight he had with grunbeld after slann,he was at about 25%. He already started off with a major wounds, especially the one across his chest.

D

darkbane

DemonX said:
If you think about Zodd and Guts fight on the hill of swords, Guts was at 100%. In the fight he had with grunbeld after slann,he was at about 25%. He already started off with a major wounds, especially the one across his chest.

That's why we should only focus on his fight vs Grunbeld after he got the berserker armor. But since we have no data on berserker vs zodd, it becomes more problematic.

one of the questions i have and only seems logical is that in a world of Chaos the strong lead the weak thats why I think Zodd serves Griffith alone and that is why i want to know where Grunbeld stands. Do you think Grunbeld could challenge Zodd and if so why didnt Griffith go to Grunbeld 1st

D

darkbane

NeverSoul said:
one of the questions i have and only seems logical is that in a world of Chaos the strong lead the weak thats why I think Zodd serves Griffith alone and that is why i want to know where Grunbeld stands. Do you think Grunbeld could challenge Zodd and if so why didnt Griffith go to Grunbeld 1st

It's more like they all came to Griffith... and Zodd was the first one to come. It seems that Griffith is very renowned due to that prophetic dream, so he doesn't need to go around collecting apostles, they all come to him since serving him is an honor for them. Even though this may not be the case, but based on what we've seen of the neo-hawks so far it does seem that the chain of command/power is something like this:

Griffith > Zodd > Locus, Grunbeld, etc > other Apostles > other soldiers

I think so because Zodd is being respected and deferred to by the other apostles. This may be just because he's close to Griffith, being his bodyguard/airplane as someone else pointed out. Or because of his renowned pwer. Or a combination of both.

Since as you say there is but one who Zodd would serve, that might mean he does not think much of other apostles' power. Makes me wonder what Zodd thinks of Genshika, maybe he has never seen him before (we have no indication that he knows of him, even though Zodd's been around 300 years).

Triggormortis

Weakness is a disease; I am the cure.
Strength can only go so far. Griffith may have chosen Zodd as his 2nd in command because he's been around longer. This would make Zodd wiser and possibly more trustworthy. Grunbeld might be stronger than Zodd, but that doesn't neccesarally make him better.

NeverSoul said:
Im just curious on this because I want to know if a fully healed guts would be a match for Grunbeld and if Guts is truely a toy to Zodd. I have to say some of my ideas were shot down and it really does seem like Zodd is playing with fire esspecially now that guts has the Berserker Armor

I think Zoddo is more powerful overall. Grunbeld while powerful isn't as quick as Zoddo or as experienced (that’s more of an assumption but I feel confident in saying that Zoddo’s been fighting for a much longer period of time then Grunbeld). Also I think a big advantage Zoddo has is that his healing factor is insanely high. He can reattach limbs and survive getting his head sliced (The Griffith incident). And to be honest I don't know if Grunbeld is even as strong (speaking strengh wise) as Zoddo. Grunbeld's strength is his most obvious straight so it sticks out the most but it wouldn't shock me if Zoddo were just as strong if not stronger.

N

NofrikinfuN

This kind of raises another question... How much does Zodd toy with his opponents? From what I've seen of his confrontations with the Skull Knight, they seem evenly matched, perhaps with Zodd leaning toward the losing end. (Didn't he get a limb lopped off, last time?) However, not enough is known about Skull Knights abilities to make an accurate comparison.

In the fights Gatts and Zodd have had, Gatts surprised Zodd, showing that Zodd apparently does toy with his prey a bit... On the hill of swords, however, he was AGAIN surprised by Gatts' abilities. More toying, apparently.

If he fought with all he had, Zodd would most likely be stronger than Grunbeld, I think.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NofrikinfuN said:
This kind of raises another question... How much does Zodd toy with his opponents?

Well, I find it interesting to note that Zodd is dual wielding nowadays, as if now, things had gotten serious. He's probably got more ressource than what we've seen so far.

D

darkbane

Aazealh said:
Well, I find it interesting to note that Zodd is dual wielding nowadays, as if now, things had gotten serious. He's probably got more ressource than what we've seen so far.

I was wondering about that too. It looked like he needed to have more 'slicing output' while still in human form, since there's so much vermin underfoot waiting to be crushed. :)

Khorne said:
I cannot imagine ANY apostle(except a member of the godhand) being stronger than Zodd.

What about Genshika? He looks pretty tough, and his mist form would be pretty annoying to deal with for a swordsman like Zodd.

NofrikinfuN said:
This kind of raises another question... How much does Zodd toy with his opponents? From what I've seen of his confrontations with the Skull Knight, they seem evenly matched, perhaps with Zodd leaning toward the losing end. (Didn't he get a limb lopped off, last time?) However, not enough is known about Skull Knights abilities to make an accurate comparison.

In the fights Guts and Zodd have had, Guts surprised Zodd, showing that Zodd apparently does toy with his prey a bit... On the hill of swords, however, he was AGAIN surprised by Guts' abilities. More toying, apparently.

If he fought with all he had, Zodd would most likely be stronger than Grunbeld, I think.

I wouldn't use the word "toying". He's so much stronger then then a human that he doesn't need to toy with them. If anything it's like he's taking it easier on them so they can fight back. He's giving them a chance for them to bring him a good fight... to possibly find the strong one, which is his Raison Detre after all.

When I think of toying I think of the scene in Azumi when Bijomaru Mogami killed (or was killing) Hyuga. Now THAT'S toying with someone, more sadistic view that doesn’t fit Zoddo at all.

Okay, Ganishka is not exactly a pushover either, hmmm....
In any case Grunbeld is definitely not stronger than Zodd. No upstart youngbeard is going to beat the Zoddinator!

SlimJ87D

Apollo
on a side note, they did make Zodd stronger then Grunbeld in the game when Zodd came in in the end. But that has nothing to do with anything.... Unless Miura made the scenes or something.

At this point in time it is impossible to know for sure. Both have killed small weaker people easily without hastle, but needless to say had a fight with Guts in different situations.

Gurunberd looks more powerful being bigger and made of what is meant to be harder than steel, but I will put my bets on Zodd. Why? Simply because he has been the lead Apostle in the Manga since very early on.

Triggormortis said:
Grunbeld might be stronger than Zodd, but that doesn't neccesarally make him better.

Yeah i totally agree to this.... anyway there was a thread long long time ago which discuss about who is stronger between Zodd and Grunbeld

In any case, i will still place my bet that Grunbeld and Zodd are the SAME level overall... Yes Zodd seem stronger and he definitely was much faster, but Grunbeld got the strenght of a titan, he had a hide that is tougher than anything other than Diamond and he got a special feat (which Zodd dont have), his firebreath

Of course Zodd could overcome that since he can fly... So really i cant say who is better until a fight really break out between them

Triggormortis

Weakness is a disease; I am the cure.
Smith said:
Of course Zodd could overcome that since he can fly... So really i cant say who is better until a fight really break out between them
I think we should tell one of them that the other said that they dress funny and see who wins the fight.

Kagami

Goo!
The only people who I know what they look like are Zodd, and Gruny...

would it be pissy to ask for some pics of some of these fellas? (like wyld and stuff?)

I couldnt find some in the WORLD/CHARACTERS section

Modification Nation now! : I mean in monster mode, not human mode :D

Do1

Suicidal attempts: 1
<spoilers, I guess, but all this topic is a spoiler so, I guess I shouldn't write this>
You don't know who wyld is?
that monkey-demon that his manhood was placed in his mouth for some wierd reason.
He lead the army of black dogs and chased Griffith after guts and co. saved him from the underground dungeon. Volume 14 is I'm not mistaken. Could be 15.

And I think that Grun>Zod. Don't care if he is old, the first apostle we saw in the manga, or the personal aircraft for Girffith.
He uses a sword, and hammers>>>>>swords.
HAMMERS!!!
Plus.. you know, he is a tiger-cow-bat thing, and Grun is a Dragon.
Oh who cares, the demin king owns them all.

Top Bottom