Guts' left arm

Do you think Guts would have survived up until now if he still had his left arm? or he would have died long ago?

I think not, because the cannon's saved his life countless times before.

I thought about this idea once too...Gutts IS as badass as they come...BUT...yea if he didnt have that funky left arm of his....maybe just maybe he woulda bit the dust awhile ago...but come on if he didnt have the arm...they'd think of sumthin awesome for him to do to escape death anyways...so sit back, read and enjoy!

Probably, because he uses that thing A LOT in fights if you look at it. Specifically, he uses it to help support his sword if he's blocking, so he won't fall off his feet. Example being when he fights Zodd in Volume 22.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
He also used it to stop himself from being completely impaled by Roshinu's spear-thingie, if I remember correctly. So I'd have to say it's definitely gotten him out of a jam many times before so he probably wouldn't be around if he didn't have it.

Lliugusamui

around the corner
Everything is bound... it's just like Guts would also be dead if he hadn't very strong teeth, or if he hadn't killed Gambino. You can say about anything in those lines that could be correct.
Yes, the iron arm is very useful to Guts. Would he be dead without it ? It pretty much could have been, but it doesn't. He got it for a reason.

ps : sometimes Guts reminds me of Cobra, except the cigare stuff 8)

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
A good theory, but it seemed to me that many times he planned it out that way. It's certainly a useful tool, but I think he would have learned to survive without it if he had to.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
It's certainly a useful tool, but I think he would have learned to survive without it if he had to.

Definitely, and having both arms is quite a plus when being a swordsman... There's just a lot of stuff he can't do with his left "hand" right now. Anyway, fact is that it's more interesting to have a hero with a metal forearm featuring a cannon.

I personally feel that having the metal arm will be slightly better than his real arm.. I mean guys can u remember how many times the "arm" saved him? Without it killing the count would be virtually impossible to begin with... He used it with a rapid firing crossbow and of course most important of all is the cannon... The one that blast Pig apostle, Snake baron, Count, Giant beetle, Roshinu, Mozgue's disciple, Slann and even Grunbeld Shield off...

Secondly he used as a form of defense with his fight, like the battle with Roshinu, kushan assassin, Zodd and now Serpico...

Even just a metal arm itself is already lethal... look how he battle those HICK nobles? it is almost as powerful as the Tapasas' Fist...

Though Mechanical arm restrict his movement and maneuver a lot when using the DS... After more than 2 years of hard training he seem to be wielding almost as good as his lost real arm...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
I personally feel that having the metal arm will be slightly better than his real arm.. I mean guys can u remember how many times the "arm" saved him?

It's just a matter of perspective, Smith. The arm cannon is great because Miura makes it so, and it was useful to Guts countless times because the story's more interesting that way, as I said. If Guts had the full use of his two arms, maybe he wouldn't have been in situations where he'd need the cannon, see what I mean?

Smith said:
He used it with a rapid firing crossbow

A fake arm isn't required to use a crossbow, you know. Same thing for the cannon itself actually, but I digress.

Smith said:
Secondly he used as a form of defense with his fight

To have his forearm "heavily" armored would have done the trick most of the time IMHO, though not always given the apostles' unearthly powers.

Smith said:
After more than 2 years of hard training he seem to be wielding almost as good as his lost real arm...

There's hardly any chance we'll ever know that, but it's true that he adapts very well and uses his prosthesis optimally.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Aazealh said:
A fake arm isn't required to use a crossbow, you know. Same thing for the cannon itself actually, but I digress.
This is true. Honeslty, he could have just as much of the shit on an entact left arm as he does on his fake one. Granted, he probably wouldn't have ended up with it all if not for the amputation. Plus, one thing that makes his cannon arm so useful is the fact that the enemy never sees it coming, since it's disguised.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DarkDragoon said:
one thing that makes his cannon arm so useful is the fact that the enemy never sees it coming, since it's disguised.

Yeah, it's worth it just for seeing faces like this one: ;D

Uargh.jpg

Aazealh said:
In his pouch, he also keeps the mini-grenades there.

oh yeah, thats right... i re-read the part in volume 3 where i now see he actually picks it up from his pouch, damn bad memory :p

DarkDragoon said:
Plus, one thing that makes his cannon arm so useful is the fact that the enemy never sees it coming, since it's disguised.

That add another one point to his cannon... :)

Yes he would have died without the arm. Unless you're implying that he as if he never chopped his arm off to begin with and had two still functioning arms after Skull Knight saves him. If so I think he would have kept his jumpy and rolling on the ground style even with the dragon slayer for the simple fact that he is sheildless.

Gutts' arm is his sheild. He is what mmorpger's call a tank. He sits there and blocks and counters and wreaks havoc. He can take someone's hardest hit/swing/stab and come out unscathed. (hell he has a healer too lol and oddly enough warrior's in WoW can do his tornado move) If Gutts didn't have that sheild/arm he would have to dodge a lot more attacks.....

The cannon has also helped him many times so who knows? Tough call.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
MB. said:
Unless you're implying that he as if he never chopped his arm off to begin with and had two still functioning arms after Skull Knight saves him.

That's what was implied.

MB. said:
He is what mmorpger's call a tank.

Let's not go there, thanks.

S

Some Guy

MB. said:
Guts' arm is his sheild. He is what mmorpger's call a tank. He sits there and blocks and counters and wreaks havoc. He can take someone's hardest hit/swing/stab and come out unscathed. (hell he has a healer too lol and oddly enough warrior's in WoW can do his tornado move) If Guts didn't have that sheild/arm he would have to dodge a lot more attacks.....

Don't forget that Gut's DS also doubles as a shield.

Also another plus for having his artificial limb is that it has yet to be broken, whereas his right hand has been broken on more than one occasion

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Some Guy said:
A much better shield then the fake arm I'd say.. seeing as how he can basically hide his entire body behind it.

I say Guts would have.  I have the same reasons as Aazealh.

DarkDragoon said:
A much better shield then the fake arm I'd say.. seeing as how he can basically hide his entire body behind it.

Whats more it is far harder to damadge

Some Guy said:

Not forgetting that he need to attack his opponent as well... So if he can use his arm as a mini shield, why not use that to block his enemy blow and attack at the same time? An epitome of such utilisation would be the battle with Zodd in the hills of sword... Notice how he attack and block Zodd attack at the same time?

That would raised another point about the arm and the DS durability as a shield... If his arm can block Zodd and deflect Roshinu sting (not sure what is it called...) It obvious that there is no need to use DS as a shield despite it being more sturdy... If you didnt realised he only used his DS as a shield against huge area attacks like arrows (vol 2), bombs (vol 19), Mozgue's huge fist (vol 21), and vertical slash from Zodd (vol 22), Grunbeld Warhammer (vol 26)... Something which the arm alone can't fully blocked it...

Smith said:
Not forgetting that he need to attack his opponent as well...

But with both arms he would, theoretically, be a stronger opponent and not have to block with anything but his sword. So basically he might not need it. ;)

That would raised another point about the arm and the DS durability as a shield...

So in other words you agree? Anyway the part about wide areas of attack... could you clarify your point?

Top Bottom