Will Miura ever include Far East elements in Berserk?

Midland is obv. European, The Kushans can be Middle Eastern(Inidan etc.). My question is: do you guys think Miura will ever include an element from the Far East/Asia? You guys get my drift? Like will there be an army or characters for that matter from the "Far East" in the world of Berserk? If im unclear im sorry. Like I would kinda like to see Guts go up against a samurai-esq warrior...or be joined by one... Get me?

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Personally, I doubt it. I think even the middle easter stuff is pushing the setting a bit, I think Guts vs. Samurai would be a bit wierd.

A bit strange, but I'd welcome it. I mean come on, we just have to have a samurai sword wielding bad ass battle Guts or ally with him. Who knows, maybe even a samurai sword wielding bad ass that was also an apostle. That would rock hardcore ::)

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't be against the far east becoming involved in the story.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
FYI, India isn't considered a Middle Eastern country, it's located in Southeast Asia. The Far East usually includes China, Japan, Korea, Mongolia and Taiwan, and in a larger definition Southeast Asian countries such as Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand or Indonesia.

Now as to have cliché samurai and ninja warriors fighting apostles, I doubt it to ever happen. The one sure thing however is that if Miura introduces a new nation in Berserk that would have Far Eastern traits, it won't be in a distasteful nor discordant manner. I think he has already shown us enough times that he wasn't an amateur in terms of historical references.

Why didn't you ask about american native cultures?
Roderick's dialogue brought me Colombus in mind...not to talk about Elfhelm, an unknown place so far, that upon discovered it could just stand for a New World.

mmm interesting idea. My bet is that if any far-east characters or 'stuff' shows up it'll bear more of a Chinese than Japanese mark. Silk road and all. Pity theres already those fine lads who hang out with Silatt filling the 'robe wearing bald badass fist-fighters' role, otherwise I'd predict the future far eastern characters to be... Eighteen Brassmen of the Shaolin Monastery!!

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
I think even the middle easter stuff is pushing the setting a bit
How so? The Turks invaded Parts of the Frankish Empire (Modern-day Germany and France) during the reign of Charles Martel. They hardly seem out of place to me.

On a completely unrelated note, how would you feel about Near Eastern elements in Berserk (Locus resembled a centaur in his apostle form. Could more classic mythological creatures show up?)

Vaxillus

Herald of Yama said:
How so? The Turks invaded Parts of the Frankish Empire (Modern-day Germany and France) during the reign of Charles Martel. They hardly seem out of place to me.
I worded that funny. It's not so much that I don't think it's historically accurate, but it almost clashes with the medieval setting. Sorry 'bout that.

Herald of Yama said:
On a completely unrelated note, how would you feel about Near Eastern elements in Berserk (Locus resembled a centaur in his apostle form. Could more classic mythological creatures show up?)
I wouldn't be surprized. I hope Guts gets to kill Gurunberd. That way, he will have actually used the Dragon Slayer to slay a dragon.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
xechnao said:
Why didn't you ask about american native cultures?

I think the honest answer is because nobody cares. It'd be interesting to see Guts single-handedly extinct the Indians, but other than that... zzZZzzZzzzz.

xechnao said:
Roderick's dialogue brought me Colombus in mind...not to talk about Elfhelm, an unknown place so far, that upon discovered it could just stand for a New World.

I hope you mean you AREN'T talking about Elfhelm, because...

map-americas.gif

...that would be one hell of an "island."​

Though I agree the Roderick dialogue is very 1492-ish.

"Griffith No More!" said:
I think the honest answer is because nobody cares. It'd be interesting to see Guts single-handedly extinct the Indians, but other than that... zzZZzzZzzzz.

I didn't have the cowboy film indians in mind. Rather, stuff like Mayas, Incas, Aztecs and the like, which are much more in spirit with the era in Berserk.

And besides, Colombus firstly discovered a smaller island. The mainland was discovered later.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
xechnao said:
I didn't have the cowboy film indians in mind. Rather, stuff like Mayas, Incas, Aztecs and the like, which are much more in spirit with the era in Berserk.

Indeed, ritual sacrifice! ;D

Yes, now that would be more interesting, fucking "Into the West" ads on TNT have my perception all fucked up. Of course, then Guts would truly become like Conan, he only needs to lead the Black Corsairs out of Vritannis. =)

xechnao said:
And besides, Colombus firstly discovered a smaller island. The mainland was discovered later.

Well, in any case, they are likely separate places. Even if Elfhelm, located on a secret island in the spiritual realm that no normal human can find, is an offshoot of a giant continant.

Vaxillus

Guts in a cowboy hat...no.

Opie

The Sex Icon
As an Indian...no I'd rather not see Guts slaughtering us left and right like it's fashionable again.

I think it would kinda offset Berserks dark mood/setting, as it seems to based around medievil europe and everything if they added far eastern things... but if he came across someone from there I think It would be alright, but if he started walking through something that looked like anicent japan that would be kinda odd to me.....

I doubt Miura will include Japan because he seems, from the interviews I've seen, to be someone who feels about European culture like many Europeans and Americans feel about the "East" (I put East in quotes because I feel that it's Eurocentric :p). This is a bit of an oversimplification but still a valid point.

I say no to ninja and samurai in Berserk. We've enough of those in other manga and anime (and you could say Silatt is already a sort of desert ninja).

Indeed, ritual sacrifice! ;D

Yes, now that would be more interesting, fucking "Into the West" ads on TNT have my perception all fucked up. Of course, then Guts would truly become like Conan, he only needs to lead the Black Corsairs out of Vritannis. =)

Then Casca could die, but come back as a ghostly warrior babe to fight alongside Guts one last time. :p

Top Bottom