Map of Midland

CnC

Ad Oculos
HawaiianStallion said:
I guess I think like Vax. Always pictured the Berserk world that we know of as something vaguely similar to Europe. Not sure why either, just always pictured it as something similar for some reason.

But one can hope you knew better than to equate the two geographically, right?

CnC said:
But one can hope you knew better than to equate the two geographically, right?

I never obviously as there are no direct relations between the races or kingdoms and the real world but just certain things like Kushans seemed to stick out and whatever.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
it would be neat, though. the locations section of the encyclopedia could become just a big map of the world, and you can click on the various locations to bring up info on them :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IsolatioN said:
it would be neat, though. the locations section of the encyclopedia could become just a big map of the world, and you can click on the various locations to bring up info on them :troll:
Cool idea, but you sort of ignored the problem of mapping the Berserk world. How would you arrange those locations in relation to each other? Arbitrarily?

TheRedShadow

Don't turn around.
Supposing Miura was to draw up a BERSERK world map, and supposing this would be done in the near future, would anyone know what type of cartographic measure would be most probable for him to use? I mean, would he use a political variation or an actual geographic landform variation? Meaning, BERSERK seems like the political type map would be best for the actual story, showing boundaries and country outlines, then again, not showing the type of landform and other useful information that could benefit showing the journey different groups would've taken. The Kushan coming from their homeland, and the Bakiraka's travels.  Griffith's movements, and Guts' journey. Not to mention, what type of terrain is in between both. I think a mixture of both is in order, provided a map happens.

I've studied Tolkien's maps, and he incorporates both functions into his illustration, as do the others who are responsible for illustrating Middle-Earth and it's various realms.

Anyway, like many and, still, unlike the majority, it seems, I would love to see a map of the Berserk world. It would help to show the lengths Guts and his group has traveled and the distance groups have gone to catch up to them.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JhizakYahr said:
I think a mixture of both is in order, provided a map happens.

Yeah, that's a really hard conclusion to come up with. :schierke: Obviously, a full map featuring as much information as possible would be the best.

JhizakYahr said:
Anyway, like many and, still, unlike the majority, it seems, I would love to see a map of the Berserk world.

I don't think a lot of people would dislike seeing a map of the Berserk world. There just isn't any, no plan to make one that we know of, and no real need for one either. It'd be neat, but in the end it's Miura choice. Aside from waiting and hoping there isn't much to be done.

I wonder what would happen if Miura included a map of Midland in a scene depicting, for example, Griffith and a war council (much like the one in volume 7, discussing Doldrey), with a map of Midland out of focus in some of the drawings, showing a bit of the map, but not the whole thing. I guess that would annoy a lot of people! :carcus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dreft said:
I wonder what would happen if Miura included a map of Midland ... out of focus... . I guess

that would annoy a lot of people! :carcus:
If we're ever shown a map, I think it will be in the aforementioned manner; something that's not the focus of the scene or panel. Berserk isn't the story of maps (or getting on Boats, for that matter). It's just extraneous information. Aaz said it clearly before, if/when Miura deems it important, it will be shown.

S

Sanguinius

There is a slight possibility we might get one soon as maps are of extreme importance when navigating on the ocean, and it could be brought up during there discussions about their destination.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Well, the way I see it, a map would only limit Miura's options. I am about to get really nerdy here, but I have been a dungeon master in Dungeons & Dragons for my friends, and I created my own world for it. Since the players, unfortunately, can interact with the world on their own, I had to draw maps for them early. This severely limits the amount of things I can toss into my campaign after it starts. If I felt like they should run into a dragon, I cant just toss in a mountain range, the players would get angry about continuity. It's much easier to have a basic understanding of your world in your head, as you can change it to suite your needs.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
Well, the way I see it, a map would only limit Miura's options ... If I felt like they should run into a dragon, I cant just toss in a mountain range, the players would get angry about continuity. It's much easier to have a basic understanding of your world in your head, as you can change it to suite your needs.
It's true that without a publicly available map, Miura has more options. However, I think that's one of the few advantages of a map actually; it would show how much Miura has planned out for the future. He's not a lazy individual, ya know. I sincerely doubt he just "tosses in a mountain range" when he needs one.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I was just using that as an example and I'm not trying to say Miura is lazy either. The fact is, Miura doesnt need a map, and because of that, his job is made a little easier. If he has an idea for something, he can have it be readily availible, and then work the world around that. This can only be done to a small extent, but Im sure Miura knows exactly what he is doing. He probably has a map for himself, its just that he has the luxury of being able to change it a bit should he need to.

Dirty Dog

Walter said:
It's true that without a publicly available map, Miura has more options.  However, I think that's one of the few advantages of a map actually; it would show how much Miura has planned out for the future. He's not a lazy individual, ya know.  I sincerely doubt he just "tosses in a mountain range" when he needs one. 

He's the God of the Berserk world. He can throw in a mountain range whenever and whereever he damn well pleases! :puck:

Wait, does that make him the Idea of Evil? :griff:

Anyway, I don't doubt that Miura will make a map of the Berserk world for the Berserk Nerds (Berds? o_O) out there, but I think we'll have to wait until the story is complete (or nearing completion), probably another few years at least. :judo:

I know this is a pretty old topic but I decided to reanimate it anways.

It seems that the berserk world is not entirely fictional either. It's not exactly the same but retains the basic shape.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I made the same assertion last year when ep 305 was out: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=10381.msg170647#msg170647

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
mysteltainn said:
Ah, sorry. That would have been like searching for a needle in a haystack.
I understand the size of our forum is daunting for new users, but it wouldn't hurt to go through some of the episode threads to see older posts. No kidding, the best AND worst stuff on our forum is in those Current Episodes threads, because that's where most of the action takes place. However, these posts only usually get read during that individual episode's release, and then get discarded and forgotten for the new stuff. Such is the way of an Internet forum :sad:

Walter said:
but it wouldn't hurt to go through some of the episode threads to see older posts

I'll do that next time. I didn't think of it because I read through berserk from 1 to 314 in about two days. So I didn't even notice the episode number like you guys, who always discuss the episodes on their release. :serpico:

Wow cool according to this map I live in Wyndham! :guts:

maybe.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Konketsuji said:
Wow cool according to this map I live in Wyndham! :guts:

I don't think we can pinpoint the equivalent location that precisely. As for Vritannis and Skellig's location, we simply have no idea.

Aazealh said:
I don't think we can pinpoint the equivalent location that precisely. As for Vritannis and Skellig's location, we simply have no idea.
Don't take that from me. :sad: But seriously, how great it would be to have a giant print of the Berserk world map on the wall...

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Miura needs to do a map of the Berserk World in the style of the Hyborian/European map from the old Conan paperbacks. :guts:

original.gif

Top Bottom