Bore of the Worlds

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Ugh, what a stupid movie. Jesus Spielberg, just stop.

*SPOLIERS*

It sucked.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Can't wait for Indiana Jones 4.

He should do Jaws 5, or re-release the original except instead of teeth, Jaws has walkie-talkies in his mouth. Maybe make the blood green instead of red. Heck, blood? Just have people turn to dust when Jaws bites them. No wait, hugs them! Why can't he be a friendly shark? Talking shark.

Tim Burton could re-envision it with him.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
"Griffith No More!" said:
He should do Jaws 5, or re-release the original except instead of teeth, Jaws has walkie-talkies in his mouth. Maybe make the blood green instead of red. Heck, blood? Just have people turn to dust when Jaws bites them. No wait, hugs them! Why can't he be a friendly shark? Talking shark.

Tim Burton could re-envision it with him.
So what about a Jabber-Jaw live action movie? Is this what you are hinting at? ;D

Kakkoii_Guts

海賊王になる男だ
I had an opportunity to see it for free yesterday, and turned it down. From what people are saying it looks like I made the right choice. ;)

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Surprisingly true to the old book (especially compared to ID4). Obviously updated for the times.  The idea of a interplanetary GUN to get the aliens here is outdated.  All the more so since the aliens aren't from Mars anymore.
They shoulda just let the son die though.  But thats Spielberg for ya
Its a shame they made the plants confuseing though.  I went with a friend and he thaught that they were made from the human blood. 

*goes off in look of a picture that resembles what how he remembers invisioning the aliens while reading the book years ago*
*comes back*
I thaught they looked like this
only everything in 3s and with eyes...

CnC

Ad Oculos
Kakkoii_Guts said:
I had an opportunity to see it for free yesterday, and turned it down. From what people are saying it looks like I made the right choice. ;)

Actually, besides here, I"m hearing good things about it.

I'm actually a fan of the book. There were some great paintings I've seen of the tripods and the heat ray. So those visuals are what I'm going for.

Griffith

Majin Tenshi said:
Its a shame they made the plants confuseing though.

What's the difference? They changed everything else just enough so it made no sense. Tripods buried on Earth, yeah, I guess they couldn't be from Mars because we'd notice THAT, right? Although the army doesn't even notice noisy 100 foot Tripods coming over the mountains either. The contradictions, and lack of any character substance or drama besides, finally render the movie meaningless by the end (especially thanks to the ending). I'm suprised there wasn't a wedding.

CnC said:
There were some great paintings I've seen of the tripods and the heat ray. So those visuals are what I'm going for.

I wasn't disappointed in that regard, very cool and fitting take on the Tripods... just not enough of that, too much mock family drama and pure sap (and recycled scenes from Jurassic Park that are totally stupid and lame, just a drag).

Wells is doing cartwheels in his grave, but the Tripods did look cool. =)

Anyway, it sucks, but don't get me wrong, there's lots of good material to see, it's not like just anybody could have made this movie, but it's got some very basic and stupid flaws at it's core that make it frustrating and ultimately a disappoint.

OK first off i agree with the thread title......heres my first beef **SPOILERS** with the film.....in the beginning all electronics were knocked out, am i right?? (correct me if im wrong) THEN, remember the guy with the camcorder (when the tripods first appeared)....his shit was all fine and dandy....well wtf was with that......the son def should have died.....how in the hell did he escape the hell inferno after he went over the hill and make it ALL the way to Boston......and boom it ended too quick......and o yea tim robbins got on my nerves.....and ur tellin me aliens that can travel all the way to earth, buried their machines, (which is lame becuz why the fuck would they leave......its liek finding a hundred dollar bill and saying hmmmm let someone else pick it up and then have me rob them...hardee har.....) came to earth from another planet and was drinkin the water and breathin the air.....NO ONE ON WUTEVER PLANET THEY WERE FROM THOUGHT ABOUT BREATHING APARTUSES (spelled wrong sooooo breathing equipment) SO YEA SPEILBERG............WTF!

Majin_Tenshi

Ooh, something to argue/discuss for the hell of it!
Proj2501 said:
[1] in the beginning all electronics were knocked out, am i right?? (correct me if im wrong) THEN, remember the guy with the camcorder (when the tripods first appeared)....
[2]the son def should have died.....how in the hell did he escape the hell inferno after he went over the hill and make it ALL the way to Boston......
[3]and boom it ended too quick......
[4]and ur tellin me aliens that can travel all the way to earth, buried their machines, (which is lame becuz why the fuck would they leave......its liek finding a hundred dollar bill and saying hmmmm let someone else pick it up and then have me rob them...hardee har.....)
[5]came to earth from another planet and was drinkin the water and breathin the air.....NO ONE ON WUTEVER PLANET THEY WERE FROM THOUGHT ABOUT BREATHING APARTUSES (spelled wrong sooooo breathing equipment)       SO YEA        SPEILBERG............WTF!
1. I believe it is possible to have something shielded from an EMP. In that big crowd, its feasible that sum nut woulda been afraid of his expensive camcorder being fried by some freak electrical storm.
2. Yea, we should all hunt down Spielberg for that and cook him in an oversized microwave. Though, I should point out that the father and daughter holed up with the crazy guy for a while. That gave the son a plenty good head start, and after seeing the army slaughtered, he wouldn't have tried anything stupid again.
3. Its s'posed to.
4. Why is it that when characters in a movie theorize about something having little or no evidence about it we assume its the truth? The main character's two punk friends were giving a bunch of bullshit ideas but we didn't believe them. The way I see it, the reason they there were 20+ lightning bolts for 3 aliens is the aliens MIGHT have been able to send inanimate matter (like machines) in energy form, or perhaps the energy had a means of transforming the surrounding material into the tripods, like with nano... nevermind that second one, if they could do that they could just do the same to a whole planet.
Of course, as a second point, the aliens might have sent the machines in automated ships, which scout the environment, and then bury tripods a few miles down on promising planets.
5. Its entirely possible that they didn't have disease on their planet. An "organism" that hijacks another creature's cells to make more of themselves might have never occurred to them. Once they determined that our air is breathable and water drinkable, why not come out and have a look at the planet they're taking?

Griffith

6. It was a stupid movie.

In any case, rationalize this:

1. Yeah, and perhaps the spinning of H.G. Wells' corpse changed the orbit of the Earth, resulting in all kinds of unpredictable side-effects; one of which may even justify this film. For instance, making spare car parts, or hell, any number of parts (what's the difference other than a few more logistical contradictions anyway?) relying on electronics inside a modern car, are immune to EMP; but only for Tom Cruise and his lame family. Stupid.
2. How'd he survive in the first place? To what purpose? A thoughtless gimmick. Oh yeah, and won't do anything stupid again after that? I guess after everything else they went through before that, attacking the aliens with teenage angst was the logical course of action. Glad he learned not to run at attacking aliens eventually, good lesson for us all. Stupid.
3. Too bad everything else didn't do that. Instead they changed what did make sense originally so it didn't and vice versa. Stupid.
4. Good storytelling? Thought? Purpose? Meaning? Effort? More than just the details are absent in this adaptation. Anyway, one of those lacking details is why nobody noticed all these gigantic tripods buried just a "few miles" below the surface of the Earth. Stupid.
5. Anything's possible; the power is YOURS! Stupid.

C'mon, lets not give this tepid farce two thumbs up, the ass, just because it happens to be based on what was a compelling idea before movies like this, literally, ran it into the ground.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Hmmm, apprently my Battalion was in the War of the Worlds. Triple Deuce kicked alien ass! W00+!!!!!
Thats because they can only do it in the movies.

ICE BURN! ;D

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Thats because they can only do it in the movies.

ICE BURN!  ;D

Bah, just because you marines have all the outdated shit and all the COOL marines left to join the army doesn't mean you need to get all sassy mister. ::)

Majin_Tenshi

"Griffith No More!" said:
6. It was a stupid movie.
[flameing]
C'mon, lets not give this tepid farce two thumbs up, the ass, just because it happens to be based on what was a compelling idea before movies like this, literally, ran it into the ground.
Its no Batman Begins.  But its by no means the worst movie ever made.  What, did you like the Independence Day version of War of the Worlds better or something?

/me has nothing better to do with his time then play devil's advocate

SaiyajinNoOuji

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Bah, just because you marines have all the outdated shit and all the COOL marines left to join the army doesn't mean you need to get all sassy mister. ::)
:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

I love you Bob

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
It aint no Berserk.

One thing though, ID4 may not have been a good movie, but that movie defined my generation, it was one of the things that defined the 90s.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Saw it just a little while ago... I do agree there was to much "family drama" and that little girl was pissing me off to know end.

I would have let them drink her stupid ass with a crazy straw... which reminds me of this movie...

KILLER%20CLOWNS%20FROM%20OUTER%20SPACE.jpg

In anycase, It had its moments, I like the little dark side between Tom and whats his face from Shawshank redemption. I wish I could have seen him get shived atleast once.

Also I am jumping on the band wagon that the tripods looked cool. ;D

Top Bottom