Is there "heaven" in the Berserk world?

BiQ_

" ... "
okey dokey...

I was wondering the other day about the fate of Guts & Caska, since they are branded they are going to go straight to hell when they die. Into the great "whirlwind of dark souls" yada yada... (Guardians of Desire, chapter 6)

Now. Since this is Berserk, do you think there actually exists any other place for dead people to go to than hell, aside from staying in this world as an evil spirit?

davedapunk

I am Zodd...you are dead.
Yea, there has to be.

Evil feeds off all of Man's negative emotions. So Good must feed off all of Man's positive emotions. Where there is Evil...there is Good.

OK, so we get demons and evil things hanging about the World...are there angels and good things around the World as well?

davedapunk said:
OK, so we get demons and evil things hanging about the World...are there angels and good things around the World as well?

As far as i know there isnt an real angel in Berserk... unless you are saying the fallen angel and that a different story...

If there is ever an angel, the most potential one to be i believe would be none other than king hanafubuku...

As course if any read the Bastard manga you might also believe Moonlight child to be one ;D

From what we have gathered most characters either end up in limbo between worlds and attack Guts or end up in the Vortex which is more or less hell unless I am mistaken.
Guts and Caska were both branded, that is what happens when any character interacts with Demons. I believe it would have happened to Thersia as well if the count had accepted, so the afterlife can't be fair at all.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
laukaichin said:
i don't think there is a heaven or hell at all

The Vortex of souls is pretty much described as being hell actually, as Sparnage pointed out just one post above yours.

Flora explains the metaphysics (spirits and the like) somehow when they were having dinner together...
It's not just heaven or hell...it's kinda more complicated
I guess where one ends up depends upon his view on the world and humanity in regard with himself
This I believe proves the image of the spirits that Shielke freed, Flora's last appearance and Skullknight himself

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Well, I am pretty undecided on this subject. What exists are layers that seem to go deeper and deeper into what seems to be hell, but nothing is said about heaven. Yet, In volume 23 ch8-ch9, its made clear that there is a heaven. In those 2 chapters, griffith is sending souls away... upwards.

Im sure not everyone goes to the abyss when they die. Just the branded and apostles and maybe really really bad people 8)

DemonX said:
Yet, In volume 23 ch8-ch9, its made clear that there is a heaven. In those 2 chapters, griffith is sending souls away... upwards.

That doesn't mean there is a heaven, just because the it was a bit more of a family moment it doesn't mean they weren't just going into the Vortex within minutes.

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Sparnage said:
That doesn't mean there is a heaven, just because the it was a bit more of a family moment it doesn't mean they weren't just going into the Vortex within minutes.

So couldn't the Vortex = heaven?

There has been nothing to assume the Vortex is anything more than eternal dispair much closer related to hell, so probably not. Still Flora may have managed to escape the Vortex's pull but I think she was an exception.

is this what yall are talkin about?

Berserk3-122.jpg

isnt femto saying there is a hell?

and maybe many because he says small hell,

or is it a bad translation  ???

- c

I was under the impression that there was only hell. Since the idea of god is in essence evil. How can there be a heaven when there is no "good" god to govern it?

well we know there is a "hell", we know there is "limbo", and we know there is something else besides those two. We obviously know there is a "hell" because we saw the count go in it. There has to be a "limbo" because Gatts fights them all the time. And there has to be something else besides "hell" and "limbo" because Flora is there, and that seem to be the closest thing to heaven if it's not "heaven" itself

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
The Guardians of Desire: Chapter 6

Quote from Guts: (talking to the count's daughter)
"Come on, It's simple. All you have to do is slit your wrist with that thing. Then it'll be all over... the end of your worrries. You'll probably end up going to heaven. Or would you prefer hell? At least that way you might get to see your father and mother."

I suppose he could have been mistaken or bullshitting though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
From Griffith himself, in the episode 195.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Mule: That group of lights…where did it go?

Page 8

Griffith: A place where they'll become one.

Mule: …one…

Mule: Is that Heaven…?  or…is it…

Griffith: You will eventually find out.  It happens to everyone.

We know of only one place were people go after dying and were they all become one (for now): the Vortex. And from what Griffith said, it happens to everyone.

Now, Flora didn't look like she was going there, so there might be more to it definitely, but as far as a conventional heaven goes, I don't think so (well, the Vortex isn't a conventional hell anyway).

In any case its a tough choice for Guts (and Caska). Either try to stay alive and face hell from apostles and such or give in and be trapped in hell or vortex or whatever it is supposed to be for eternity.

And may be there are different levels of hell too. Measly apostles go to a 'small one' and the more important you are, the more painful a place it is where you endup in. That is why no apostle wants to die because they know where they are going to end up in nothingness..

Meteoraic said:
I was under the impression that there was only hell. Since the idea of god is in essence evil. How can there be a heaven when there is no "good" god to govern it?

Hmmm... so if there is a God of good too for there to be a heaven then wouldn't there be contention between the two Gods.... Monotheism ?? May be this is more appropriate for the "Religion in Berserk" thread.

but do we really know if guts is bound for hell? ???

i mean of we dont really know there is a hell, or heaven,

who is to say that guts definitley will go to hell?

and if i missed something and it is true he will go to hell, what is the point in the story? ???

wow, after all these years of struggle and heartache, even if he kills griffith, he burns in hell :(,

that would kinda ruin the ending for me >:(,

just my opinion though  :)

- c

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
C said:
i mean of we dont really know there is a hell, or heaven,

who is to say that guts definitley will go to hell?

Didn't you read the previous posts in the thread ?

We know there is a hell (it's the Vortex of souls, were Vargas, the Count and Wyald went), and we know that Branded people go there. Actually, from my previous post, Griffith states that everybody goes there...

Now, as it was said several times already, some people seem to avoid it, like Flora or random various spirits that dwell in the Interstice, but we really don't know that much about it.

And of course, there might and probably will be changes before the end of Berserk, but for now, that's how things look.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Maybe when Griffith said "it happens to everyone," he was reffering to the afterlife in general.. not necessarily just hell.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DarkDragoon said:
Maybe when Griffith said "it happens to everyone," he was reffering to the afterlife in general.. not necessarily just hell.

I don't think so considering the context, look at the lines, it's quite obvious he's implying that going to "A place where they'll become one" "happens to everyone" imho...

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Aazealh said:
I don't think so considering the context, look at the lines, it's quite obvious he's implying that going to "A place where they'll become one" "happens to everyone" imho...

That still doesn't necessarily mean that he's talking about hell. Yes, hell is a big swarming mass of souls that have become "one".. but heaven could be exactly the same way.. or somewhat the same way.. but just happy. Or Griffith could've been saying "become one" in a metaphorical sense. I'm still 50/50 on the matter I guess.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DarkDragoon said:
That still doesn't necessarily mean that he's talking about hell. Yes, hell is a big swarming mass of souls that have become "one"..

And he said it happens to everyone, which means that there can't be another place where people go, because everyone is supposed to be going to the same place.

DarkDragoon said:
Or Griffith could've been saying "become one" in a metaphorical sense.

There's nothing in the manga that can lead to that conclusion as far as I know.

It's speculation anyway so no need to reply endlessly with "maybe" and other "what if"... We'll precisely know when and if Miura decides to tell us.

Top Bottom