Will Guts surpass Griffith again?

What do you think, will Guts be stronger than Griffith again, like when he defeated him while he was leaving Band of Hawks? It seems to me that in whole series, Guts is first weaker than Griffith, and then he grows more and more stronger and when he finally become stronger, Griff escapes him in strength again, and Guts is always weaker. And I don't mean just strength, also their greatness like humans, their humans destinies

You never know, It could be possible, and now that he has the aid of the Berserk armor it kinda evens things out, lets just hope that it doesn't strip all of his humanity before he gets there, but I doubt the Idea of Evil would let his chosen one (Griffith) be defeated/surpassed, we will just have to see.

Opie

The Sex Icon
Well Guts never surpassed Griffith in alot of great aspects before his leaving of the hawks. He was stronger than Griffith because while Griffith was off dreaming up battlefield schemes and political maneuvering Guts was the one carrying them out for him. He relayed to much on Guts and their bond instead of doing it himself like he did in the old days. Thats what I got out of it anyway.

Will he now...well yeah he's the main player in Berserk. In Mange like Berserk the main character always becomes the most badass somehow. It's happend over and over with Guts already and we're not even done the series

I don't see how Guts will be able to take out all of those apostles that are with Griffith. Zodd would die before he lets someone touch Griffith so he'll have to kill him too. Let's not forget the other main 4 guys. (Archer, Grunbeld, Locus, crazy Kushan blob thing..) And I don't see Serpico taking out any of those guys.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Tell Me Why said:
I don't see how Guts will be able to take out all of those apostles that are with Griffith. Zodd would die before he lets someone touch Griffith so he'll have to kill him too. Let's not forget the other main 4 guys. (Archer, Grunbeld, Locus, crazy Kushan blob thing..) And I don't see Serpico taking out any of those guys.
For future reference Archer = Irvine and crazy Kushan blob thing = Rakshas. Honestly I don't see Serpico taking out an Apostle anytime soon, but you never know what's gonna happen. Serpico has impressed me quite a bit just being able to go toe-to-toe with Guts without being immediately cloven in half. I think he's got it in him to put up a very good fight against one of the Apostles in the New Band of the Hawk/Falcon. :serpico:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Tell Me Why said:

HOW DARE YOU!

Feanor

Nur dem Schwert kannst du vertrauen!
Guts is not alone. He has a few friends like the skullknight...
But till now Guts was the most time on his own.
I think he has to wipe them out one by one. And collect their beherits. With his new armor and fully regenerated he can perhaps fight against some guys like Grunbeld and Locus at once and can win but against three of them he has no chance.
By the way. How is this beherit thing? Is the number of beherits limited?
Then Guts and Skully could collect and hide them, so no other humans could use them to become apostles.

sorry for my bad english bad i'm from german

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mefisto said:
It seems to me that in whole series, Guts is first weaker than Griffith, and then he grows more and more stronger and when he finally become stronger, Griff escapes him in strength again, and Guts is always weaker.

That's a pretty simplistic view of the series...

Mefisto said:
And I don't mean just strength, also their greatness like humans, their humans destinies

Yeah well, Griffith isn't really human anymore, you know. He's a supernatural being now, a God Hand member.

Opie said:
He relayed to much on Guts and their bond instead of doing it himself like he did in the old days.

It's not like he could have done otherwise... Your post looks like you're trying to minimize Guts' importance in the Hawks, or his own greatness. There's a reason Griffith treasured him so much, it's not just out of sentimentality. See Casca's speeches to Guts about this.

Feanor said:
And collect their beherits.

Who said they still had their beherits? And you think Guts is going to start collecting them? That's more of SK's role.

Feanor said:
With his new armor and fully regenerated he can perhaps fight against some guys like Grunbeld and Locus at once and can win

I don't think so... That seems to be a bit far-fetched, IMHO.

Feanor said:
How is this beherit thing? Is the number of beherits limited?

We don't know about their numbers or any kind of limitations, there's no real information regarding that matter.

Feanor said:
Then Guts and Skully could collect and hide them, so no other humans could use them to become apostles.

Skull Knight has been eating them for a while already, and not just to hide them. While it's not a bad idea in itself to "hide" them from people, remember that beherits are sentient, very powerful objects. A beherit is always in the hand of its owner when it is needed, that's how things are. Griffith's beherit was thrown in a sewer, but he got it back in the end. So to hide them would be pointless.

A beherit is always in the hand of its owner when it is needed, that's how things are. Griffith's beherit was thrown in a sewer, but he got it back in the end. So to hide them would be pointless.

Yup, and isn't fate that they come in contact with them in the first place? Like the Godhand told Griffith in the eclipse something like "its fate, and because you have the traits to become like us, that it ever fell into your possession at all"

Opie

The Sex Icon
I just don't like having the Main character of a series always the top dog, Guts is great and all and I'm not trying to take him downa notch but him being just so damn badass is...I dunno. It just feels like even with all the people around him he would eventually find a way to carry on without them thus minimizing thier importance in the whole story.

It will take a LOT for Guts to kill Griff seeing as he is basically a god. And we all see how powerful Griffith is, seeing as he totally owned Zodd with great ease. So for Guts to defeat Grifith he has to find a way to turn the tides and defy causalty.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Void Swordsman said:
So for Guts to defeat Grifith he has to find a way to turn the tides and defy causalty.
I thought by surviving the Eclipse, Guts already has defied Causality.

Yes, because of SkullKnight, I always beleived he is the key to Gut's victory, although Im sure he has his own reasons and motives too, behind what he is doing, but this is the wrong place to discuss this and has already been discussed somewhere else. :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Opie said:
I just don't like having the Main character of a series always the top dog, Guts is great and all and I'm not trying to take him downa notch but him being just so damn badass is...I dunno. It just feels like even with all the people around him he would eventually find a way to carry on without them thus minimizing thier importance in the whole story.

It's a matter of opinion of course, but I don't think it's right to say that Guts is always being the top dog. He's a very cool character, awesome and badass indeed, but he's rather always been the underdog if you look at the story from a global point of view... It's only thanks to Miura's talent that he appears to be the coolest guy around in spite of his mostly miserable life. I'd even say that the reason he's such a cool hero is because he has been fighting against all odds and enduring so many things.

Griffith is a supernatural Falcon of Light flying in the sky, while Guts crawls in the mud, struggling to survive. It's really just a matter of point of view. :SK:

As for his companions, they're cool in their own way, and they've been doing a lot of things, starting with Isidro saving Casca from the stake during the mirrored Occultation, something Guts couldn't do... I don't think Guts would have gotten this far without them, and neither does he.

Rhombaad said:
I thought by surviving the Eclipse, Guts already has defied Causality.

Actually, there's still a doubt whether or not Skull Knight's actions during the Occultation were part of "the plan". SK himself ponders about Guts in volume 24... Now, we can still safely say that Guts does all he can to go against it, even if he's not aware of it himself.

I just want to ask one more quaestion?What do you think,will at the end of the manga,turn that Guts will become mad,lunatic,human who is not responsible for his actions,and will be Griffith the one who was in right all the time,whose way was the correct one.I don't know,it seems to me that the end will be unexpected,strange,but in some way normal and logical.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mefisto said:
What do you think,will at the end of the manga,turn that Guts will become mad,lunatic,human who is not responsible for his actions,and will be Griffith the one who was in right all the time,whose way was the correct one.

I don't think it'll turn out like that, no.

I too expect the ending to be unexpected and strange in some way, but you can only wonder what will happen with these things, based on what we know so far though I think its gonna be awhile before it ends, and I think its too early to be able to make a good guess on what the ending will turn out to be.

xbigvmanx

Gutz is a Bad azz
If you noticed where the series is going Guts will eventually surpass Griffith. I already suspect (in a different thread) Guts will lead the Vritannis army after he shows how impressive his skills are in front of the nobles as the Kushans invade. Owen will be one of Gut's allies in the comings months once he discovers that Guts was once a knight of Midland. It will also be interesting to see that when they reach Elfhelm they will probably have further help to fight against Griffith supernatural army.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
xbigvmanx said:
If you noticed where the series is going Guts will eventually surpass Griffith.

Any fact backing this up? I'm not saying it's impossible, but right now Guts is completely hopeless against Griffith. :griff:

xbigvmanx said:
I already suspect (in a different thread) Guts will lead the Vritannis army after he shows how impressive his skills are in front of the nobles as the Kushans invade.

The Vritannis army? Vritannis is bound to destruction if we are to believe Sonja's prediction, and I don't think the coalition's army will survive the events without suffering heavy losses, except maybe in the case where the Neo Hawks would rescue them, case which would make it impossible for Guts to lead these same armies.

Anyway, Guts doesn't want to lead any army right now, he wants to get a ship and go to Elfhelm... And the armies massed at Vritannis aren't in need of a leader, they're all under the command of different nations and cooperate only to fight against the Kushan invaders, defending the Holy See's lands as well as theirs. See this diagram for more information.

So as you can see, it's not very realistic to expect Guts to take the leadership of that alliance... Not like those armies could destroy Griffith's apostle army either, or would even want to fight against it for all we know.

xbigvmanx said:
Owen will be one of Gut's allies in the comings months once he discovers that Guts was once a knight of Midland.

Well, Guts was never really a knight you know... Just a mercenary. After the end of the war, the King proclaimed them the White Phoenix Knights, but that didn't last a week, with Griffith's "betrayal" and all that. As for being Guts' ally in the coming months, that'll be hard if Guts & co are on Elfhelm, right now Owen is more likely to fall over Griffith's side. Of course that doesn't mean that he won't support Guts in the future, just not so soon, IMHO.

xbigvmanx

Gutz is a Bad azz
Aazealh said:
Any fact backing this up? I'm not saying it's impossible, but right now Guts is completely hopeless against Griffith. :griff:

That's just IMHO.

The Vritannis army? Vritannis is bound to destruction if we are to believe Sonja's prediction, and I don't think the coalition's army will survive the events without suffering heavy losses, except maybe in the case where the Neo Hawks would rescue them, case which would make it impossible for Guts to lead these same armies.

Guts has been known to beat someone's prediction (ie Zodd) I am sure there will be a slaughter but i think the key figures will remain alive and it will establish Guts position in the world. Other then demons the nobles have never heard or seen Guts till now

Anyway, Guts doesn't want to lead any army right now, he wants to get a ship and go to Elfhelm... And the armies massed at Vritannis aren't in need of a leader, they're all under the command of different nations and cooperate only to fight against the Kushan invaders, defending the Holy See's lands as well as theirs. See this diagram for more information.

Who knows it might not happen but I believe that his trip the Elfhhim will definitely be delayed especially the crisis in Vritannis. He may not lead the armies but I get the feeling Farnese's family will be more connected to Guts without question if they survive.

So as you can see, it's not very realistic to expect Guts to take the leadership of that alliance... Not like those armies could destroy Griffith's apostle army either, or would even want to fight against it for all we know.

Its not very realistic for Guts to survive soo many injuries against a dozen odds or lift a big azz sword like the DS so what's your point? lol. Seriously IMHO his fight against the Kushans will be noticed from both sides and Guts will need all the help he can get.

Well, Guts was never really a knight you know... Just a mercenary. After the end of the war, the King proclaimed them the White Phoenix Knights, but that didn't last a week, with Griffith's "betrayal" and all that. As for being Guts' ally in the coming months, that'll be hard if Guts & co are on Elfhelm, right now Owen is more likely to fall over Griffith's side. Of course that doesn't mean that he won't support Guts in the future, just not so soon, IMHO.

Correction by the King's decree he was officially a knight but Guts is the type of guy to not accept titles or positions. And you are right in this sense he considers himself a mercenary and nothing more. As for Owen I don't think so. If he survives this i think Owen will side with Guts and yeah I do agree with you maybe not now but at some point in the future.

xbigvmanx said:
Who knows it might not happen but I believe that his trip the Elfhhim will definitely be delayed especially the crisis in Vritannis. He may not lead the armies but I get the feeling Farnese's family will be more connected to Guts without question if they survive.
The trip to Elfhelm has already been delayed... Only for Guts and his band to save Farnese. In the last Episode, if Farnese hadn't asked him, Guts would have left, he doesn't care for a bunch of Nobles, some of whom may even be responsible of the fall of the BoH!
And as soon as her Family will be saved, I think Farnese will join the Band back, and probably leave, I don't see the King, with wife and sons, following Guts in his journey?!...

xbigvmanx said:
Its not very realistic for Guts to survive  soo many injuries against a dozen odds or lift a big azz sword like the DS so what's your point? lol.  Seriously IMHO his fight against the Kushans will be noticed from both sides and Guts will need all the help he can get.
Without Puck's powder, or Schierke's Magic, Guts probably wouldn't have survived... The point in trying to be realistic is to remember where the story seems to lead in the future, by taking into account the past facts as well... (I hope I'm clear, here?!)
Guts doesn't care in fighting the Kushans, IMHO, right now, he wants to help Casca regain her memories back! Furthermore, he really ISN'T the type of person to ask for help, especially not to Nobles, which he despises, it is clearly stated (by him) at different moments in the Manga...
All he wants is to leave Vritannis, as fast as possible!

tricksta_666_wa said:
Even if Guts does somehow surpass Griffith, he is doomed anyway isn't he, the berserk armor drains you of your senses, so his fate is already inevitable  :???:

Well, with Schierke's help, even if it's hard, he can somehow "control" the curse of the Berserker Armor. That's why I wouldn't say that his fate is inevitable... :-\

But, as far as I'm concerned, I think that even with the Armor, Guts is no real threat for Griffith... We are not even sure that Griffith can be physically harmed!?... I really don't think, right now, that Guts could surpass him.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
xbigvmanx said:
Guts has been known to beat someone's prediction (ie Zodd)

Are you joking? Zodd just knew about the Occultation, and he logically deduced that Griffith's friends would die, he's not a medium... However Sonja can see the future... It's really not the same thing.

xbigvmanx said:
Other then demons the nobles have never heard or seen Guts till now

Owen did, he even vaguely remembers him.

xbigvmanx said:
He may not lead the armies but I get the feeling Farnese's family will be more connected to Guts without question if they survive.

Well, they're Farnese' family, so since Farnese is among Guts' band and since he's saving them right now, it's a safe bet to assume that they'll have some sort of connection later on. While we're at it, please be reminded guys that the Vandimions are traders, merchants, bankers, and priests. They're not generals, and they don't have any army themselves. Just a very rich and influent family.

xbigvmanx said:
Its not very realistic for Guts to survive soo many injuries against a dozen odds or lift a big azz sword like the DS so what's your point? lol.

It's not the same kind of realistic here buddy, my point is that it won't happen, simple as that.

xbigvmanx said:
Correction by the King's decree he was officially a knight

Correction what? You're repeating what I said in the post you're quoting. The King ordered the Band of the Hawks to be hunted to death mere days after that night, so their titles were annulled, obviously... It's the Band of the Hawk that was tracked down for a year, not the White Phoenix Knights army.

xbigvmanx said:
Guts is the type of guy to not accept titles or positions.

That has nothing to do with anything here though, he just wasn't a knight, he didn't go ask the king not to make him one, but he never really received the title, because of the betrayal and everything (I said so already). Griffith had been made a knight in volume 5, however.

xbigvmanx said:
And you are right in this sense he considers himself a mercenary and nothing more.

He was a mercenary. And he's not one anymore.

xbigvmanx said:
As for Owen I don't think so. If he survives this i think Owen will side with Guts and yeah I do agree with you maybe not now but at some point in the future.

Well, if you agree with me, you think so then, right? :guts:

asmer said:
he doesn't care for a bunch of Nobles, some of whom may even be responsible of the fall of the BoH!

Responsible for that? Griffith slept with Charlotte, that's what's responsible of the Hawks' downfall...

asmer said:
And as soon as her Family will be saved, I think Farnese will join the Band back, and probably leave, I don't see the King, with wife and sons, following Guts in his journey?!...

Farnese has already joined the band again, as far as I'm concerned. And the "king"? What king? Federico Vandimion isn't a king...

asmer said:
Guts doesn't care in fighting the Kushans

Exactly, he couldn't care less.

tricksta_666_wa said:
Even if Guts does somehow surpass Griffith, he is doomed anyway isn't he, the berserk armor drains you of your senses, so his fate is already inevitable

By the time Guts will confront Griffith, the situation will have evolved a lot.

asmer said:
Well, with Schierke's help, even if it's hard, he can somehow "control" the curse of the Berserker Armor.

No, he can't, like SK told them, and the beach incident proved it. They'll have to reach Elfhelm and have Guts cured to hope to be able to control it.

Top Bottom